swish
jrleftfoot
wideclyde
mulcogiseng
dboss
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense' Empty Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense'

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:35 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/12/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_216.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Danny Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense'

Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense' 21717761-mmmain
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge takes questions from reporters during NBA basketball media day at the team's training facility Monday, Sept. 26, 2016, in Waltham, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on December 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has prioritized patience since the beginning of the team's rebuild and wants to keep that mindset regardless of any minor struggles early this season.

During a conversation with WBZ NewsRadio 1030's Adam Kaufman, Ainge discussed what he considers his team's greatest need -- "late-game offense" -- as well as the constant focus on targeting only moves that will help Boston over the long term. Given his team's health so far, Ainge labeled himself "anxious" to see the Celtics at full strength for an extended period of time, but also sounded like someone who already knows what he has.

"(The lack of health so far) doesn't really change my (approach) on the trade market," Ainge said. "I feel like I know our team. I know our players. I know our holes. And I know what we're looking for. So it doesn't really affect it."

What's the most critical need, then?

"I think offense," Ainge said. "Late-game offense, I think, is important."

"I think that's always one of the most challenging things to find," he continued. "I think that's why we do hear a lot of talk about transcendent players. And I think that those kind of players that can finish games against great defense are the most difficult kind of players to find in the NBA. So I think that rather than positionally, I just think that whatever position those players are in. Those are the most challenging players to acquire."

In other words: Ainge would like a star, guys, but those types of players aren't always available.

"I feel the pressure to get our team better, for our players, coaches and fans," he said. "My staff, we work tirelessly. We talk every day collectively. If we're traveling or out scouting college games, we're sending texts and emails with ideas and things about how we can make our team better. It's a daily discussion, so I do feel that (pressure).

"And at the same time, you can't do really dumb, short-term things, or things that will make you a little tiny bit better in the short term, but will prevent you from being a championship contender in the long term."

Acquiring elite talent remains a goal. Patience remains a priority. If those two objectives ever meet, the Celtics will be in business.

bob
MY NOTE:  This is "Danny-speak" for "I'm not happy with James Young's progress and Gerald Green's lack of production".  Well, no shit, Sherlock.  So, he'll try to trade end of benchers for a veteran shooter.  I'm ok with that.  You can trade James Young and a bag of bag of Krispy Kremes to get a shooter.  He can be on the wrong side of 30 as long as he can shoot.  Don't trade more than a 2nd round pick or an end-of-bencher for him (unless he is young and a shooter).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense' Empty Re: Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense'

Post by dboss Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:50 pm

DA's comments are about the process.

I agree with him 100%

He knows that we need a go to guy.   He has known that since PP and KG were sent to Brooklyn the team lacks a closer.

His approach is prudent.  He does not want to do "really dumb, short-term things"

Like sending off 3 first rounders (Brooklyn)

I like his approach.  He is not looking to screw this up.

He knows that this draft has some of the best high end talent that we have seen in years.  He will protect his basketfull of draft picks.   He understands how the dollars works.  Some may think that he values his own players too high but I disagree with that notion.

Danny is going about the business of building a contender that can keep Boston in the mix for an extended period of time.

Earlier in the year we said he was ahead in the rebuild.  Now we sometimes forget about the complexities associated with the rebuild.

The Celts may very well take a step back this year.  I say so what.  Were we expecting a banner this year?

The Celtics are on the right road and are carrying along great assets to complete the journey.  Keep the faith! Go Celtics!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense' Empty Re: Ainge still stressing patience, but wants to acquire 'late-game offense'

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:21 pm

The single most important thing that the Celtics can do to create late game offense is move the ball, hit the open man, make the extra pass, and attack the rim. If they played most of the game in the style that produces for them they will win more and will need late game hero ball a lot less.
Brad has to call time out and sub when the play bogs down. This needs to be a fast paced pass first team. They need to drive with the intention of putting the ball in the hole and only kick out when the defense requires it. Missed three point shots should not be this teams calling card. Our three point shot should be the dagger, not the way we lose a lead.
If they change the style of play it will be easier for Danny to put together an end of bench trade for a pure shooter or just get rid of one of the dead woods and sign Nader.
This is Boston. I want to see Y.A.Z. walking through that door

17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 pm

mulco,

I am not 100% certain that Nader would be the answer to an "end-of-the-game" offensive force that Ainge wants but he would be a FAR better option than both Young and Green put together.

I did not understand keeping Young back in October except for maybe using his salary in a trade of some sort, and Green has not done anything to get any more playing time so both can be flat out given away in my book.  I have mentioned accepting a bag of used balls for Young in the past, and the bag of balls looks better and better all the time.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Young and some other Guys are end of the bench players.  Every team has end of the bench players.  Few will get you a shooter.  

Nader showed some promise during summer league.  Not enough to get a roster spot I guess.

At this point I think DA is looking for something more than a shooter.  And I do not think he is particularly interested in insignificant tweaks to the roster.

We need a go-to guy.  A closer.   That is a very tall order.

And we still need another big because our front line collectively sucks.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:43 pm

dboss wrote:Young and some other Guys are end of the bench players.  Every team has end of the bench players.  Few will get you a shooter.  

Nader showed some promise during summer league.  Not enough to get a roster spot I guess.

At this point I think DA is looking for something more than a shooter.  And I do not think he is particularly interested in insignificant tweaks to the roster.

We need a go-to guy.  A closer.   That is a very tall order.

And we still need another big because our front line collectively sucks.  

dboss

+1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Danny is looking for a super-super star. Danny made the big trade for Allen and Garnett after he completed his 4th year with the team. We are now in the 4th year since Garnett and Pierce were traded and once again he has the chips to make a trade for a super-super star. He also has the cap space to be a player in the free agent market next year - and if unsuccessful via the trade and free agency route next summer, he will still have plenty of chips to work with in the summer of 2018. I don't think he has the patience to wait multiple years while the pups, hopefully would develop into game changes.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:30 pm

swish wrote:Danny is looking for a super-super star. Danny made the big trade for Allen and Garnett after he completed his 4th year with the team. We are now in the 4th year since Garnett and Pierce were traded and once again he has the chips to make a trade for a super-super star. He also has the cap space to be a player in the free agent market next year - and if unsuccessful via the trade and free agency route next summer, he will still have plenty of chips to work with in the summer of 2018. I don't think he has the patience to wait multiple years while the pups, hopefully would develop into game changes.

swish

I think the Pierce , Allen , KG thing was a unique situation. Ainge might have to wait a long time to get a super-star by trade or in free agency.Nobody is trading superstars in their prime. Ray and KG were somewhat past that stage and they got the Celtics exactly one championship. Super-stars seem to want to play with oter superstars these days and we don`t have one.Paul Pierce wasn`t a super-star but he was closer than anybody the Celtics have now. I think they are every bit as likely to get a super-star through the draft as they are in the market place. Sure, Ainge will take one if the opportunity presents itself, but who on our roster is going to bring back a Curry, Westbrook, Kawih Leonard, Anthony Davis? Nobody and  no collection of bodies in my opinion. Maybe the Celtics will strike gold in the free agent market--- maybe they`ll do so with Brooklyn`s pick. I don`t think they have the assets to do it by trade. Nobody is trading a genuine super-star for a collection of pretty good players.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:51 pm

I don't think Ainge is calling out Young and Green so much as he is saying the C's rebuild/cap situation was what created a lack of a crunch-time scorer this season. The C's were pretty good at scoring in the end of games when Turner and IT shared the court the last two seasons. 

The C's don't have that this season. We've seen how special Al Horford is in a lot of ways and how his passing is perfect for Stevens system and his rim-protection is well above average at the least. He is far better than Sully. But he isn't a go-to guy at the end of games. He should be viewed as more of a 3rd option who will hit an open 18' jumper or sneak in for a put-back off a miss, but should not be the focal point there. Thomas as well should be more of a #2 option. The guy who takes the contested 3 or drives to the line hoping to get lucky/fouled on AFTER the better % look by a #1 scoring star option had been attempted first. 

Green and Young are just place holders. I doubt Danny can flip either of them for a FA to be shooter who could help this 2017 squad. Guys that come to mind are: Rudy Gay, Gallanari and Redick. But can you see any of their teams parting with them for Young, Green and a 2nd rd pick? 

Even Jerebko, Rozier and a future 1st rd pick would probably be not quite the package to push the needle (maybe for Gay) but would be a tough pill for the C's to swallow in the future if the vet is just a rental and Rozier keeps getting better and better.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:25 am

I cant believe this,Danny is still saying that our greatest need is a scorer .Damn our greatest need for a long time have been the lack of a true center that protect the rim,get rebounds and make good picks,that is easy to understand.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 am

Int'l, Maybe Danny has already factored into the Celts future Zizic at center. Were Zizic putting up these numbers in the NCAA, people would be raving about him as the next big thing at center.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:15 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
swish wrote:Danny is looking for a super-super star. Danny made the big trade for Allen and Garnett after he completed his 4th year with the team. We are now in the 4th year since Garnett and Pierce were traded and once again he has the chips to make a trade for a super-super star. He also has the cap space to be a player in the free agent market next year - and if unsuccessful via the trade and free agency route next summer, he will still have plenty of chips to work with in the summer of 2018. I don't think he has the patience to wait multiple years while the pups, hopefully would develop into game changes.

swish

I think the Pierce , Allen , KG thing was a unique situation. Ainge might have to wait a long time to get a super-star by trade or in free agency.Nobody is trading superstars in their prime. Ray and KG were somewhat past that stage and they got the Celtics exactly one championship. Super-stars seem to want to play with oter superstars these days and we don`t have one.Paul Pierce wasn`t a super-star but he was closer than anybody the Celtics have now. I think they are every bit as likely to get a super-star through the draft as they are in the market place. Sure, Ainge will take one if the opportunity presents itself, but who on our roster is going to bring back a Curry, Westbrook, Kawih Leonard, Anthony Davis? Nobody and  no collection of bodies in my opinion. Maybe the Celtics will strike gold in the free agent market--- maybe they`ll do so with Brooklyn`s pick. I don`t think they have the assets to do it by trade. Nobody is trading a genuine super-star for a collection of pretty good players.

Lefty,

You nailed it here.  Most realistic post on this topic I've seen in a very long time.

This is why the trade rumors are entertaining to discuss, but not reality.

We'll get there in a few years, I'm positive.  But it's not going to be the unique way we built the last championship roster.  It's the draft first and then free agency.  If we can draft a couple of young stars, they don't have to be superstars, with good upside potential, high-end free agents may consider us.  Trades will happen too, but are more likely to bring us supporting players.

Again, very well thought-out post.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down