KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21

+3
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21 Empty KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:05 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21 Empty Re: KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:51 pm

which one of these guys does Kelly Olynck pattern his game after?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21 Empty Re: KG and McHale Talk Celtics on KG Area 21

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:11 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:which one of these guys does Kelly Olynck pattern his game after?
The guy in the middle?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:which one of these guys does Kelly Olynck pattern his game after?

not a affair comparison, as Kelly is a high post player. You may not like big men standing at the 3 point line and shooting, but our coach does it seems.

and Kelly is one of the best at it in the NBA.

maybe the question should be why doesn't our highest paid player model his game after either one of those hall of famers?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:04 am

kdp59 wrote:

not a affair comparison, as Kelly is a high post player. You may not like big men standing at the 3 point line and shooting, but our coach does it seems.

and Kelly is one of the best at it in the NBA.

maybe the question should be why doesn't our highest paid player model his game after either one of those hall  of famers?

no kidding, I know its not fair to compare a bench player to two HoFers.....I'm just jokingly responding to another thread where some posters are trying to agitate me on KO. I don't mind a 7 footer that can shoot 3's, I know that todays game emphasizes the 3, but he is lacking in so many other areas for a 7 footer too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:04 am

I guess my point was/is........shouldn't we maybe be more concerned with the "big man" on our roster getting a max salary, who is playing at a much lesser level?

I would argue that Horford is playing closer to Kelly than to McHale or KG.

the bang for the buck is pretty low, IMO.

happy new year
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:38 am

kdp59 wrote:I guess my point was/is........shouldn't we maybe be more concerned with the "big man" on our roster getting a max salary, who is playing at a much lesser level?

happy new year

kip,

If your point is that Horford has been awfully average considering his comp level, my thought is that I wondered when someone might mention it.

I'll give him a slowed start due to injury, at least.  He's been good, but not quite what you would expect.  I'm willing to give him a little time, but my concern with Horford all along was that he may have already hit his peak.  My hope is that a couple of his bigger rebounding and scoring efforts are signs that the motor is starting up.  Admittedly, Horford, to me, is a greater concern than Kelly O.  This is true in part because I'm not expecting anything more than what we've already seen from Kelly

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

NYCelt wrote:
kdp59 wrote:I guess my point was/is........shouldn't we maybe be more concerned with the "big man" on our roster getting a max salary, who is playing at a much lesser level?

happy new year

kip,

If your point is that Horford has been awfully average considering his comp level, my thought is that I wondered when someone might mention it.

I'll give him a slowed start due to injury, at least.  He's been good, but not quite what you would expect.  I'm willing to give him a little time, but my concern with Horford all along was that he may have already hit his peak.  My hope is that a couple of his bigger rebounding and scoring efforts are signs that the motor is starting up.  Admittedly, Horford, to me, is a greater concern than Kelly O.  This is true in part because I'm not expecting anything more than what we've already seen from Kelly

Regards

Horford is a " nice player" with a good feel for the game and better than average skills. He`s not a player who is going to lift a team and carry it. I thought Millsap was more of a factor in last year`s playoffs.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:23 am

Horford is still our best frontcourt 4-5 defender, I'd like him to rebound better, but in todays game bigs have to chase out to the perimeter switching, leaving them in bad rebounding positions, if they just stay in the paint, teams can exploit that too. Dave Cowens would have been really great in this era and had a good perimeter stroke too, and ofcourse was fierce battling in the paint.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 am

I just read that Milsap may be on the trading block...food for thought.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 pm

kdp59 wrote:I just read that Milsap may be on the trading block...food for thought.

Yes food for thought

Milsap is a solid although undersized PF.  he can rebound especially off the offensive glass and he plays physical defense.  He has a strong mid range game and can get to the rim.  

Only concerns would be his 3 point shooting, age and salary requirements.

He is an average .332% career shooter from distance.

He turns 32 next month

The reason why he is on the trading block is because he plans to opt out of his $21.5 million contract.  The Hawks want to move him now before they end up with nothing and also the Hawks know they are not a championship team and do not have the assets to become one anytime soon.

The Celtics would have to part with one of their Nets pick probably to get him along with salaries to even things up.  He would be a solid addition to the team and address our weaknesses at PF however I think we still need a 5 and another scorer off the bench.  How long will it take Zizic to get ready?

Since he will be looking for a contract North of $20 million the Celtics would probably need to move either Bradley or Thomas before the 2018 trading deadline.  The Celtics should not use the 2017 Nets pick in a deal for Milsap.  They should draft THIS year to replace either IT or Bradley even if neither is moved before 2018

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm

kdp59 wrote:I just read that Milsap may be on the trading block...food for thought.

kdp,

I say "no".  dboss points out his limitations as an undersized PF.  If Milsap replaces Amir next year would that get us to the promised land, given what we would have to give up to get him?  I say "no" again.

I'd rather go for what we really need: a rim protector to help Horford, a slab o'beef to let Horford play more PF and/or a lights out shooter.  Quite frankly, I don't see where Milsap's game is significantly different from Yabusele's.  Yes, he's got the NBA bona fides and Yabu has never laced up an NBA sneaker but we're talking about a roster and salary cap busting trade to get Milsap and, as I said, he doesn't fit into what I consider to be a pressing need for us.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:

kdp,

I say "no".  dboss points out his limitations as an undersized PF.  If Milsap replaces Amir next year would that get us to the promised land, given what we would have to give up to get him?  I say "no" again.

I'd rather go for what we really need: a rim protector to help Horford, a slab o'beef to let Horford play more PF and/or a lights out shooter.  Quite frankly, I don't see where Milsap's game is significantly different from Yabusele's.  Yes, he's got the NBA bona fides and Yabu has never laced up an NBA sneaker but we're talking about a roster and salary cap busting trade to get Milsap and, as I said, he doesn't fit into what I consider to be a pressing need for us.

bob

Bob I already stated that we still need a center and another scorer even if we got Milsap.

How the heck can you compare Milsap's game to the French guy that has never play a single game in the NBA? Milsap is an absolute stud! He should not be mentioned in that same sentence.

I think we have a pressing need for an athletic PF that can score, rebound and defend as much as we need a hunk of beef in the middle. Please tell me which of our PF's are prime time players (Amir, Jerebko, Mickey?) The fact is that we do not have a top of the line PF. Of course if you added a Center AH could play PF but we would still have a deficiency in the rotation.

Yes you mentioned the limitations that I pointed out but not the strengths. I am not advocating that DA go after Milsap but simply acknowledging the fact that he would check several boxes.

Other than Cousins is there another center out there that the Celtics should go after? Who is that player and what would it take to get him? If we were able to get him what about the Power forward deficiency and what about the scorer off the bench?

I think we are still 3 players away form becoming a true contender.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Does anyone still think that Zizic wouldn't contribute more to this team, this season, than Zeller? This would have been the perfect development year for Ante backing up Amir, learning the NBA game without the pressure of big minutes. We really need to upgrade from Amir next season when we can more realistically challenge Cleveland. I think Zizic is part of that future but I'm not sure he would be an ideal starter in his first NBA season.

I think Yabusele will replace Mickey very easily. Any doubters? He will learn a lot from Horford and he will do well coming off the bench next season. The kid can flat out play, not like a superstar, but like Horford, a good solid and consistent scorer passer and rebounder.

Given consistent minutes and schemes that highlight their skill set, and these guys will average 12 to 15pts a game and 7-10 rebounds. That would be a definite upgrade. Add in Brown at 10-15 and 5-7 and we have a very strong bench.

I think this takes care of two of our needed players and doesn't disrupt the chemistry, the roster or cap flexibility. It enables our best players to still be available if a blockbuster trade comes up. Having star players like IT or AB available, Amir's expiring contract, and hard working players like Jae and Jonas, KO and Marcus will make a deal easier to come by and we would still have the Nets picks.

dboss is right about there not really being significant players available who would move us to solid contenders. For some reason we tend to ignore his question of just who would you give up for a Cousins or similar type of star player. Decision making needs to be spot on from Danny this year otherwise the rebuild will come to a halt and the team will get blown up.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm

It will be nice to see our two first rounders get in the mix to really see what they have to offr.

DA may be of the mindset not to do anything big because those two players may potentially address the PF/ center needs that the team has.

However as has been pointed out before will we be a contender after the 5 year rebuild? Will those players matter?

The fact is that we really do not know. There are still sufficient assets available to move forward even if the draft and stash players were not ready for a few years.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 am

I brought Milsap`s name earlier. It was just kind of an aside. I`d rather not spend any significant  resources on him. Age and lack of length are major negatives..For what it`s worth, all our bigs , about whom I frequently complain, played well against the Jazz. (Zeller didn`t play, of course). I thought KO  was more of a factor than Gobert in this particular game. Our bigs are serviceable until somebody YOUNG and significantly better comes along, preferably  through the draft.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down