Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report

5 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report Empty Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_221.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report

Danny Ainge
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge takes questions from reporters during NBA basketball media day at the team's training facility Monday, Sept. 26, 2016, in Waltham, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on February 07, 2017 at 8:50 PM, updated February 07, 2017 at 11:18 PM

The Boston Celtics have held "preliminary" trade discussions about several big men, according to the Vertical's Shams Charania.

Charania did not expand on his report, so it's not clear which players the Celtics have looked into. Don't be surprised if they would like a big, physical guy to contest shots and box out. Despite a recent surge in rebounding, they still rank dead last on the defensive glass. Their defense has improved substantially over a seven-game winning streak, too, but still ranks 19th in the NBA.

When pondering who might interest the Celtics -- Andrew Bogut? Jusuf Nurkic? Serge Ibaka? Somebody else? -- keep in mind they have prioritized flexibility and maximum cap space for this summer. They won't take on future money that would hurt their chances of chasing, say, Gordon Hayward or somebody like that. A short-term rental could work, but the front office would also need to weigh whether the cost makes sense if they don't have a real chance to win a title this season (and hey, who knows, maybe they now consider the Cleveland Cavaliers vulnerable). The Celtics could also take a look at the waiver wire or make room for somebody like free agent Larry Sanders, who they worked out last month.

As much as the Celtics need more size, it's worth considering that all their frontcourt shooting has opened lanes for Isaiah Thomas, helped Marcus Smart excel as a post-up point guard, and damaged opponents whose big men can't guard the perimeter. Adding a bruising and/or athletic center could help, but there would be a tradeoff in most cases.

bob
MY NOTE: Danny is making and taking phone calls about bringing in a rebounding big? And, in other breaking news, water is wet.

The trade deadline is 2/23. That's only 15 days away.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report Empty Re: Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm

I think we might have a shot at Ibaka, no sources, just a feeling that Gordon is not a 3, better suited to 4. They don't need Ibaka at this stage of the season, maybe we have a shot? While not a great rebounder, he can defend very well and shoot and can still rebound a bit.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report Empty Re: Boston Celtics trade rumors 2017: Team has explored market for several big men, according to report

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:30 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I think we might have a shot at Ibaka, no sources, just a feeling that Gordon is not a 3, better suited to 4. They don't need Ibaka at this stage of the season, maybe we have a shot? While not a great rebounder, he can defend very well and shoot and can still rebound a bit.

Cow,

If even half the rumors are true they are definitely shopping him, and Vucevic (basically, their starting front court if you consider Gordon plays wing). The issue with Ibaka is that he is a UFA after this season. So, 2 questions to be answered are:

1. Why give up anything/body for someone you might only have until the end of the year and
2. Why give up anything/body for someone you can get for free this summer?

Will he help us with our playoff run this year? Depending upon who we give up the answer is yes. Would Orlando give up a player they won't re-sign this summer anyway for next to nothing? I wouldn't.

Danny wants maximum salary cap flexibility this summer. Unless Ibaka is a player he would go after anyway, then why pay to bring him in now? And if he isn't then Danny isn't going to rush to sign him to a long term contract this summer anyway, which would make Ibaka a partial year rental. If Orlando won't take James Young and Jordan Mickey for him, then what would you give up for a 2-4 month rental?

Danny's playing the long game while some people, and I think I would include you and me in this, are looking at the shorter game. We're looking at the rest of this season and the playoffs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 am

We are over the cap ( as is Orlando), so any trade involving Ibaka requires us to send back similar salary's.

Ibaka makes about $12M this year.

so any trade will require us to send back something close to that in salarys.

so Young and Mickey don't work....or any other end of the bench players for Ibaka.

so the only way to get him to offer a rotation player that the magic can use in the future OR trading Amir or Zeller for him.

The magic would want a serious draft pick back     for taking on Zeller or Amir, IMO. I would think the t'wolves second and maybe a future non nets first round pick would be needed.

also Danny could send the rights to Yabusele or Zicic with Say Amir and the t'wolves second rounder to make a deal happen.

for me that is a deal worth exploring, as long as Danny has had a conversation though back alleys with Ibaka's agent on what his asking price could be next year as a FA.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:27 am

Not Yabu or Zizic...too valuable for Ibaka...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 am

Although I am still for the continuing of the rebuild, and not selling out for guys like Anthony in any way.
However, I can see taking a rental player like Ibaka for the rest of the season because I very much like the idea of this year's team ending the season with a better record than the 2016 team.

I fully believe that continuing to improve, both with overall regular season record and playoff performance, from year to year is very, very important in a rebuild in any sport rather than taking an "up and down" path to improvement. Sliding backwards even just a little bit can be negative in many ways.

I can see giving Orlando a future draft pick other than either of the Nets picks, Zeller and Young for Ibaka
knowing that Ibaka could very well leave in free agency this summer. Ibaka is still only 27 years old and is likely to help us on the boards and on defense this year as well as score better than Johnson with the first unit. Johnson will help the second unit much better than he usually helps the first unit. Losing Zeller's professonalism would be difficult but he just never will be a rebounding/defending center that we so need.

Ibaka is not a 'star' player and may never be one, but he has proven to be a very good player for the money he makes. His game is pretty well rounded and he has also been very consistent (even to include this season with a pretty weak team that has had no chance of becoming a good team).

I personally like Noel better than Ibaka for the Cs, but Noel is going to likely cost more to obtain and also more ($) to keep for additional years.

Orlando gets a decent player in Zeller on a non guaranteed contract, a guy in Young who may develop in another system and a first round draft pick to help them feel at least a little bit better about giving up what they did for Ibaka last summer.

Plus, no one really knows where Ibaka will end up next year. I don't see him getting offers like the one Turner got in free agency so he may be very much affordable this summer for the Cs. He may very well really like playing for Stevens (like just about every player that has been in Boston since Stevens arrived) and on a team that is continually moving closer towards the top levels of the league.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 am

wideclyde wrote:

I can see giving Orlando a future draft pick other than either of the Nets picks, Zeller and Young for Ibaka
knowing that Ibaka could very well leave in free agency this summer.  Ibaka is still only 27 years old and is likely to help us on the boards and on defense this year as well as score better than Johnson with the first unit.  Johnson will help the second unit much better than he usually helps the first unit.  Losing Zeller's professonalism would be difficult but he just never will be a rebounding/defending center that we so need.

looks like a good deal to me!

I would add that next year the Celtics would have $32M in cap space between Ibaka, Amir, Jerebko and Kelly's current deals combined.

surely that's enough for 2 or maybe 3 of those players to come back.

so IF it happens and Ibaka helps as expected, a new market deal for him (meaning $15-17M) is do-able. as Well as resigning Kelly as a RFA ( $8-10M?).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down