Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report)

+5
dboss
wideclyde
gyso
kdp59
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report) Empty Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report)

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/boston-celtics-trade-rumors-team-offering-aron-baynes-in-trade-to-create-cap-space-report.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report)

Today 9:09 AM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

The team Danny Ainge thought he was building has fallen apart, which means some of the players already on the team suddenly no longer fit.

One of those players is Aron Baynes, who just opted in to his $5.4 million player option for this season. According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Celtics are now shopping Baynes in an effort to create cap space.

Adrian Wojnarowski
✔
@wojespn
Boston has offered center Aron Baynes -- $5.4M expiring contract -- into salary cap space elsewhere, league sources tell ESPN. Without Kyrie Irving and Al Horford on the books, moving Baynes without taking back salary could get the Celtics to $23M in space.

3:46 PM - Jun 20, 2019

If Boston makes this move without taking back salary, but also renounces the rights to all of their free agents, they can make two of their three draft picks and still create a max salary slot.

I’m not sure where Wojnarowski is getting the $23 million number but if the Celtics decided they wanted to hold onto Terry Rozier, they could still have $24 million to spend while making all three draft picks.

The sudden shift in strategy came suddenly for Boston, who saw Baynes as a critical piece to its defensive strategy. Lineups with Baynes and Horford together dominated defensively over the course of their Boston careers, but without Horford, Baynes became less of a fit.

It was also less of a fit from Baynes’ perspective. He has said repeatedly that he loves Boston, but he’d obviously like to win another title. If he knew this was coming, he probably wouldn’t have opted-in in the first place.

The NBA draft is tonight and it’s been reported that Boston doesn’t want three rookies on their team. It’s unclear whether this week’s developments have changed that, but the Celtics already seem active before everyone has finished their morning coffee, so this could be a wild ride today.

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm sitting in my hotel room in Aqaba, sorta peeking in from the outside occasionally, and I'm wondering WTF is going on!?  I go away on a little trip (ok, maybe 7 weeks isn't so little) and everything blows up!

If there's something good to be said about this it's that Danny is freeing up cap space for a reason.  He has a target in his crosshairs.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report)

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 am

could be with Baynes blessing here now.

NO bigs left soon enough

unless you really think the time lord will become an NBA player...and that's a BIG if for me.

oh well..Stevens has never used big men anyway and we all know Ainge can't draft one to save his life.

Maybe we'll get that all 6-6 to 6-8 team that Stevens and Ainge seem to want. Just as the NBA is going to back to teams winning WITH big men too.

should be an interesting night ,as Ainge try's to stay relevant . Making sure I have plenty of popcorn........and whiskey tonight!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report) Empty Re: Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report)

Post by gyso Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 am

If he knew this was coming, he probably wouldn’t have opted-in in the first place.

Baynes would have had more control as to where he would end up if he wouldn't have opted in. He may have been able to get a multi-season contract as well. Now he has to go where Danny sends him on a one year contract.

This is another guy that I'll miss next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:33 am

Eliminating our only true center and freeing up only 5 M is not a good idea at all.

Surely when Baynes decided to return to the Cs after the season ended did not make him a better player, but finding someone who does "fit" in for less money is not likely to happen.

This guy has proven to be a great value to the team for the last two years, and even though he starts many games he only plays back up center minutes.  He always plays hard, and has been very consistent. He has also been often credited by his coach and his teammates for his leadership which in Boston has to be very important in this time of turmoil.

Not that any player cannot be traded, but if he is traded that he brings back a quality player and not just leaves town as a salary dump. His decision to re-sign should not go unappreciated.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:06 am

Like I said, Danny is in a frightfully desperate mood.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Well, if Aron goes and RW gets hurt, maybe the plan would be to resign Landry, have him be our center, and really go small ball.

Danny, please make us smile tonight. My fingernails can't take much more biting.

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm

The more I think about this the easier it is to understand,  Aron is a solid rotation player for Boston but not and everyday starting center that can play 30 MPG

If Boston is planning on freeing up enough cap space to sign Orlando Center Nikola Vucevic I agree with that move.  He is a starting quality center and is 28 years old who turns 29 in October,  he is a 20/10 guy and average 3.8 assists last year.  Toronto was able to hold him below his season averages partly because the rest of the Magic squad struggled.  Given what is available in the FA market for centers he should be a target.  He is coming off a $12 million contract.  Since he is unrestricted it makes it easier to sign him

Boston will still need to add a long and athletic big from the draft.  Decide on the PG situation and add another distance shooter as we can always use a another shooter.

Last edited by dboss on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 pm

And not replace Aron with Landry? Ok Dboss. Signing Vuc makes sense.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:26 pm

worcester wrote:And not replace Aron with Landry? Ok Dboss. Signing Vuc makes sense.

Assuming they will renounce Morris, do they also have to renounce Rozier to open up the CAP space needed? If the answer is yes they could still go back and sign him but he will be unrestricted at that point and therefore the cost could be higher.

Does Boston even want to keep Terry after his off season comments?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

bobheckler wrote:MY NOTE:  I'm sitting in my hotel room in Aqaba, sorta peeking in from the outside occasionally, and I'm wondering WTF is going on!?  I go away on a little trip (ok, maybe 7 weeks isn't so little) and everything blows up!

OK, Bob, so this is all your fault.

At least now we know who is responsible for this mess.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 pm

My thought exactly, NYCelt.

Btw, notice how tensions have flared with Iran while Bob is in the MidEast. Coincidence?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Something tells me they won't beat the door down to acquire Aaron. He is a backup center that fit in as a starter with Al. Didn't play many minutes, not a big rebounder, not a big scorer, he is just big.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 pm

This makes it at least semi-official.  This is from Baynes. I'm going to miss him and, more importantly, I think the Boston Celtics will too.

Boston Celtics trade rumors: Team offering Aron Baynes in trade to create cap space (report) D-Bj08vXUAUnS0l?format=jpg&name=large

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:30 am

Really sad. I sure hope that freed up cap space brings us someone of Aron's character.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 am

This trade was a big disappointment for me as a Cs fan. When a team is desperate for center play (and, quality character players) it makes little sense to dump this guy who was both for the Celtics in the two years he was in Boston.

Yes, he was injured some last season and even when not injured he was not a big minutes type of player (I often wondered why he did not play more minutes), but he brought quality toughness, defense, hustle and was never reported to be a team cancer type of player. And, for only $5 M he was clearly a guy who outperformed his contract's value in many ways.

If Ainge had to dump some salary, why is Yabusele still around? It would be easy to see how Baynes would contribute more in the next season than The Dancing Bear.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 am

Yabu's continued presence on the Celtics is a scientific question now being pondered at MIT.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 am

I read that it was Baynes himself that requested the trade after hearing that Horford wanted to leave for more money, etc.

The article leaves out that fact, which has lead to more unwarranted Danny Ainge criticism.

Also, the article talks ignorantly about Baynes' opt in. The truth is that the last time that Baynes had an opportunity to opt out with a player option, he lost money on his next contract. Lesson learned, he was not going to repeat that mistake again.

I'll miss Baynes and his great approach to the game as much as the next guy, but let's not allow a poorly written article drive the discussion bus.

Just saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:09 pm

gyso wrote:I read that it was Baynes himself that requested the trade after hearing that Horford wanted to leave for more money, etc.

The article leaves out that fact, which has lead to more unwarranted Danny Ainge criticism.

Also, the article talks ignorantly about Baynes' opt in.  The truth is that the last time that Baynes had an opportunity to opt out with a player option, he lost money on his next contract.  Lesson learned, he was not going to repeat that mistake again.

I'll miss Baynes and his great approach to the game as much as the next guy, but let's not allow a poorly written article drive the discussion bus.

Just saying.

gyso do you have a source?  Who said Aron asked for a trade?   

It looks more to me like a salary dump that costs us Baynes and a pick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm

It was reported during draft

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:I read that it was Baynes himself that requested the trade after hearing that Horford wanted to leave for more money, etc.

Also, the article talks ignorantly about Baynes' opt in.  The truth is that the last time that Baynes had an opportunity to opt out with a player option, he lost money on his next contract.  Lesson learned, he was not going to repeat that mistake again.

Just saying.

dboss,

I heard about the Baynes trade and the reason for it during the draft or the day after.

I keep seeing people dump on Ainge and in this case, it is based on fake facts. I believe I commented on this already, but the false narrative continues.

Google is available to all, so the truth is out there.

gyso

[edit: I see where Kyle said he saw it reported during the draft, so that must be it.]

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:

Just saying.

dboss,

I heard about the Baynes trade and the reason for it during the draft or the day after.

I keep seeing people dump on Ainge and in this case, it is based on fake facts.   I believe I commented on this already, but the false narrative continues.

Google is available to all, so the truth is out there.

gyso

[edit: I see where Kyle said he saw it reported during the draft, so that must be it.]
Thanks gyso

Funny how things can work out.  With Baynes gone Boston may be able to sign Walker.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm

gyso
gyso 

I still find no evidence that he asked to be traded.  I'm just saying.  It really appears that Boston moved him to free up cap space.  

I just do not buy the scenario that Baynes asked for a trade and Danny said great idea, and to make it happen let me throw in a first round pick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 am

dboss wrote:gyso
gyso 

I still find no evidence that he asked to be traded.  I'm just saying.  It really appears that Boston moved him to free up cap space.  

I just do not buy the scenario that Baynes asked for a trade and Danny said great idea, and to make it happen let me throw in a first round pick.

dboss,

Two people on this board said that they heard on draft night that Baynes asked for the trade. Is that not enough for you? Tell me, do you think both of us are lying?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:59 am

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:gyso
gyso 

dboss,

Two people on this board said that they heard on draft night that Baynes asked for the trade.  Is that not enough for you?  Tell me, do you think both of us are lying?

gyso
https://985thesportshub.com/2019/06/20/aron-baynes-celtics-trade-rumors-nba-draft/

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am

Matt Doloff is obviously lying.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next