Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry

+2
Shamrock1000
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry Empty Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:56 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/02/glen_davis_doc_rivers_overrate.html

Glen Davis: Doc Rivers overrated, 'lucky as hell' to win championship with Boston Celtics

Posted on February 16, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry 22083344-mmmain
FILE: Former Boston Celtics forward Glen Davis, left, gets instructions from head coach Doc Rivers during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Orlando Magic in Orlando, Fla., Thursday, Jan. 28, 2010. (AP File Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

By Jay King

After watching Paul Pierce grow emotional during his final game in Boston earlier this month, Doc Rivers reminded reporters with a laugh he had seen someone cry on the court before.

"I saw Big Baby cry one time," Rivers cracked, referencing the time Kevin Garnett had berated Glen "Big Baby" Davis to the point of tears.

The joke led to a chorus of laughs, but Davis might not have appreciated the burn. Apparently, he and Rivers -- who clashed several times while working together as coach and player -- have hit a rough spell in their relationship. During an interview on Chris Broussard's podcast, "In the Zone," Davis lit into his former coach, saying that he considers Rivers overrated as a coach and believes Rivers was "lucky as hell" to lead the 2008 Boston Celtics to a championship.

"Because what Doc had in '08 was special," Davis said on the podcast. "And he was lucky as hell. Lucky as hell. The year before that they were wearing trash bags (in the crowd). ... But then the next year they win it, now he's one of the best coaches ever? I'm just not feeling that, you know what I mean? You give credit to KG. You give credit to Paul Pierce. You give credit to Ray Allen. Those are the guys that made sure whatever Doc needed to be done got done. And so now it's easy for Doc to do his job.

"And then you give credit to Danny Ainge. That's the one you give credit to because I know multiple times he had to talk to Doc just to say, 'Hey Doc, leave them alone. Hey Doc, ease up. Like, there's points where you ease up.' I would play good games and Doc wouldn't even give me like, hey. I'd play great games and he'd be: 'Go do it again.' You know? You want to hear that, 'Hey, great job kid. Good job, man. Keep it up.' But not, 'Go do it again.' So I'm off that Doc tip man."

Davis proceeded to call Rivers "a great guy" but said he has "cooled off" on his former coach. Davis did not like the way his time with the Los Angeles Clippers ended.

"I don't like what he's doing right now," Davis said. "I don't like his organization, what he's doing, his teams. We had something in '08 and that was it. You know what I mean? That's what that is. So far, like, I didn't like how the way he handled me on my exit. Yeah, hold yourself accountable, but at the same time I had a broken ankle. I won a championship with you and you don't even really call me. I've got to beg you to call me. My agent has to beg you to call me. My ankle's broke. And you just told me -- they pulled me to the side when I played against Houston and told me, 'You're not playing the way you need to play. You're not doing this.' My ankle was broke. My ankle was broke. And they're shooting me up, shooting me up, shooting me up every day to play. My ankle was broke."

Though he said the Clippers did not know the extent of the damage, Davis said, "They just did an X-ray (for the ankle). They didn't do an MRI. And it was just like, 'Oh, can you run? Can you play?' The next day they had me working out after I broke my ankle. They had me trying to play Game 7. It was crazy and I'm just not feeling that. When you win a championship with somebody, you don't treat nobody like that. No matter if it's a business or not, because it's bigger than basketball between us, Doc. I have never left you at the altar. I've never left you at the altar. You know what I mean? I've never left. You go get Spencer Hawes, he does nothing. You've got to trade him. You've still got me on the bench knowing that I can play, but you still go play Spencer Hawes knowing that you're just trying to cover your own butt because Spencer's not panning out the way you wanted him to pan out. And I just don't like that. I'm not feeling that."

Asked if Rivers is overrated as a coach, Davis replied, "I think so. Yeah."

bob
MY NOTE:  It's a little late to be oversensitive about his nickname, isn't it?  Glen Davis is only 31 years old but isn't playing.  He is, to my knowledge, healthy.  Doc is coaching, and the GM, of a pretty damn good team.  Let's remember, Danny traded Davis for "Steady Eddie" Brandon Bass.  Another one of Danny's great trades, in my opinion.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry Empty Re: Big Baby Is Trying To Make Doc Cry

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah, BigBaby sounds a little bitter, but I kind of agree Doc is overrated. He ran his vets into the ground, and would not develop any players unless Danny forced his hand with a trade. I still think the Big 3 should have won more than one. I know there were injuries and other reasons, but I do think Doc played a part as well.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Doc has the best team he ever coached.  Look how many rings they have won.  

What.. no rings out there?  He left and I am glad.  Stevens never blames his players if they lose and I would  bet that Stevens would never have lost 18 straight no matter who was on the team. I will always think of him as the yo-yo master.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm

my opionion of Doc is well "doc"umented. Its also been yoyoie..

The guy helped us win #17 and for that i'll always be thankful for, before and after that theres been good and bad, but i'll stick to the best memory of them all.

P.S. Ray "benedict arnold" Allen also helped us win a title, but he aint getting the same love as Doc.. screw him.

P.P.S. unless Ray comes back to Boston as a shooting coach and helps Brown and Marcus become assassins, then i'm all for him having his jersey retired.

<ok back to Big Baby>
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Davis is entitled to his feelings on Rivers (we all have some), but he should have had his say long ago if he wanted to make a point. Crying now is way too late.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:07 am

I agree with Davis on Rivers. Doc was and is overrated.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 am

It's crying time again.  Davis's comments do not enhance his image. Doc is not the best coach for a young team.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down