Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift?

+3
dboss
sinus007
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift? Empty Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift?

Post by Sam Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 am

For months I've been maintaining that the Celtics' defensive performance was very much a product of their offensive performance. When they missed shots, they got down on themselves, and that frustration would cause them to be less energized on defense. It almost seemed they were saying, "We can't throw the ball in the ocean anyway; why bother killing ourselves on defense?" That opinion was echoed by Gary Washburn and Doc Rivers in Washburn's article today:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/04/18/celtics_defense_was_a_sight_to_behold/

Potentially more relevant to these playoffs, however, was that the Celtics "regressed" for the better (to 2008 levels) last night. They stank the place up offensively in the second quarter and the early third, but they didn't allow that fact to affect their defense. In fact, it was the defense, especially during the last one-third of the game, that seemed to spark the offense. The perfect example, of course, was Tony Allen. Frankly, I have been thinking that Sheed had been the poster boy for allowing the offense to affect his defensive effort; and it could be that his presence on the bench during most of the second half (Davis playing instead of Perk? Wow!) helped sustain the defensive effort. The defense definitely carried the day while they mustered sufficient offense to win the game.

Anyway, my point is that, if they can continue suspending the interdependence of the offense and defense throughout the playoffs, the defense could carry them a long way. I'm thinking that, against Wade, Ray Allen may be getting more rest than usual if Tony can keep up his excellent two-way game. This may finally be the time when, after a season long of makeshift lineups and experimentation with combinations, Doc will be able to mix and match from a position of strength rather than out of necessity.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and this defensive effort has at least doubled my enthusiasm level. These are the playoffs. Different season. Very possibly a different team (in spirit)! A chip growing on their shoulders! Glimmers bearing fruit! Plenty of time between games! I'm totally stoked! And I hope all of you are too!

Go Celtics! Ram it right down their throats. I'm feeling a little momentum. Gimme mo' mo' mo'.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift? Empty Re: Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift?

Post by sinus007 Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Sam,
Funny thing. Just before you posted, I was going to ask you, using you connections, make sure that Doc et al realize that there are 2 switches, not one, they have to flip on for playoffs: D-switch and O-switch. And make, also, sure they know where the O-switch is. Would you please. Thank you very much. Very Happy
There were 2 good explanations for the O hovering just above nada: zomby-like RR and totally cold RA. Excellent move by Doc to bring TA and keep him in for almost 30 min. I hope they, RR and RA, are better Tuesday and beyond.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift? Empty Re: Offense vs. Defense...a Momentous Shift?

Post by dboss Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Sam

Watching the Magic Bobcatrs game. It is the 2nd quarter with 6:19 and already 10 Bobcats players have already been in the game. Larry Brown once again defies conventional wisdom that a short rotation has to be used in the playoiffs. And the Bobcats are a relatively young team as compared to the Celtics.

During the season some of our older veterans have not been consistent from one game to the next. Case in point is last night performance by Paul and Ray. Doc going to TA midway through the 3rd would at least reflect a relization on his part (Rivers) that his star players may find themselves on the bench if they cannot get the job done.

I think we should see a 9 man rotation with TA, baby and Rasheed being the main guys and situational substitutions using Finley, Robinson and Daniels. Williams will be buried on the bench unless our bigs find themselves in foul trouble.

If Boston can get by the Heat they will be facing a very deep Cleveland team that will try to wear them down. Our entire bench needs to be ready to play armed with the confidence that they will be called upon to contribute.

This is a most exciting time of the year.

Go Celtics!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Sam,

I don't know if you saw the AP report on last night's game. The clip said that the Celtics beat the Heat by playing tough defense like Miami.

They might have said that Miami finished on such an incredibly strong note this year because they learned to play defense like the Celtics.

Love the AP's oh so accurate view, just love it.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 am

Sinus, I have no connections. But I like your sentiments.

Dboss, Doc used a 9-man rotation, but Sheed and Finley didn't play many minutes. I actually thought that was masterful strategy on Doc's part, reacting decisively based on who was contributing.

I seem to be less worried than most people about wearing out players during a playoff series in which there are no back-to-backs and several instances of two days off between games. Although the wild card can be the flu. I can't believe Rondo played so many minutes when he really wasn't feeling well the morning of the game...to say nothing of Tony's heroics after having been under the weather very recently. I think Doc may lengthen the rotation over time, but he's using his most effective players to get a feel for the series before doing so.

We all know that the playoffs are all about adjustments and counter-adjustments as the two teams get to know each other so well. I wonder what strategies the Heat will come up with to make Wade more effective versus Tony. A lot of Tony's defense against Wade does not involve Tony's moves after Wade has the ball. A lot of it involves denying him the ball in positions where he can do anything with it. Wade can move a guy like Ray around as well as out-quicking him. But Tony's got the advantage in both respects over Wade.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:36 am

I'm pretty sure this game should silent all the bdcer's about firing Doc because he doesn't have his head in the game. I had to watch the game on delay and couldn't fugure out why Perk rode the pine all through the fourth. But clearly the bull in the china shop GD clearly deserved and earned the time going apeshit.

I think Doc knows what he's doing and will put the right lineups in there so we can finally get the broom out in one of these series. Can't wait for Game 2.

Tony and Glen clearly the heroes in Game 1. Sam, check my post and time under KG May Be Suspended so you won't think I copied you about regular season hayhem and lineups. Great minds think alike! Game 2 is what we've prepared for all season. Let's just hope the proverbial turd in the punchbowl doesn't rear (no pun intended) its ugly head.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Dbrown,

I've never heard the punchbowl analogy before, but I'm going to bring a flask to parties from now on.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:56 pm

this IS the most excitinig time of our year !!!

i'm surprised, Sam, by your observation that bad offense has been leading to lackadaisical defense. i thought the lynchpin of the C's approach historically was to play tough D to spark their offense. that means, or should, that we play tough defense ALL THE TIME - though we haven't.
but i still hope that's their signature statement in these playoffs.

i'd said very early in the game on thread that bench play, including TA's play, would be key to a win, and so it went. well, i also said that Rondo's contribution would play a key role - that turned out to be, not so much. but Doc's use of the bench was just so different than it has been during the regular season, what a breath of fresh air !! and Ray wil only benefit from having rested legs.

go Celtics, see you Tuesday !

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Yes. Michael, that has been the traditional wisdom. However, this season, I've observed numerous instances when the Celtics have played good enough defense to win games but have been sadly unable to convert sufficiently at the other end. The pattern usually continued with them (as Doc says) "hanging their heads" and eventually allowing their offensive ineptitude to frustrate them so much that their defense disappeared too. Many people called it lack of defensive effort, but I have consistently believed lack of effort was not usually the initial culprit; it was the effect, not the cause.

Against the Heat, that didn't nappen. When they followed anemic second quarter scoring with anemic third quarter scoring, they stiffened their defense dramatically, and the eventually scored enough points for the win. I thought that was a noteworthy development.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 pm

"a noteworthy development", Sam said, and i agree, and agree also about so many times this season that our C's couldn't muster the firepower to take a game that their defense did keep them in.

sure was nice, great, to see the bench come through in the 1st game ... we NEED them to play hard and the right way.

best regards,
Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 am

Sam: I love it with the mo' mo' mo'-Are you rehearsing for a hip hop video? Now that would REALLY be a first that I wouldn't want to miss, neither would MTV!!!-GO Celts Go Celts It's Ya' Birthday-Long live the spirirt of Sam!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down