Andrew Bogut - narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston

+5
worcester
swish
kdp59
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Andrew Bogut -  narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston Empty Andrew Bogut - narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Andrew Bogut has agreed to a contract buyout with the Philadelphia 76ers, freeing him to evaluate his next move, league sources told The Vertical. Bogut has narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston, and will have conversations over the next 24 hours with general managers and coaches from those teams, league sources said.

Back to top Go down

Andrew Bogut -  narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston Empty Re: Andrew Bogut - narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 am

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/27/celtics-contention-for-andrew-bogut/puKYoEz0Ug1uriNiqK9dcL/story.htmll

Celtics in contention for Andrew Bogut

Andrew Bogut -  narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston F7e9774926b44a2e83de22896bc6efcc-f7e9774926b44a2e83de22896bc6efcc-0
Dallas Mavericks' Andrew Bogut (6) looks for a shot against Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

Andrew Bogut averaged 3 points and 8.3 rebounds this season for Dallas before he was traded to Philadelphia and then waived.
JOHN RAOUX/AP

By Adam HimmelsbachGLOBE STAFF

FEBRUARY 28, 2017

Center Andrew Bogut, who was waived by the 76ers on Monday, has narrowed his list of potential suitors to five or six teams and the list includes the Celtics, a league source said on Monday night.

The source told the Globe that reports stating Bogut has decided to sign with the Cavaliers after he clears waivers on Wednesday are inaccurate, and that the Celtics are very much in contention.

Bogut and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge had a “good talk” on Monday night, the source said. The source said Bogut is also planning to speak to Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue, as well as Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

Bogut may even speak to a few Celtics players over the phone on Tuesday to get a gauge on how he might fit with their team, the source said. Bogut would like to select his new team by the end of Tuesday, the source said.

The extent of the Celtics’ interest in Bogut was not immediately known. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge has made it clear that he is reluctant to dive into the buyout market. While declining to comment on any specific players, Ainge said in a phone interview earlier Monday that the team would be comfortable moving forward as currently constructed.

“I like our team right now,” he said, “and unless something really jumps out to us where I feel like we can get significantly better, I’d just assume keep our team intact.”

But perhaps Bogut could have the impact the Celtics are seeking. He was the starting center for the Warriors during their 73-win season last year and was traded to the Mavericks last summer. He has been slowed by injuries this season and his role was limited in Dallas. He averaged 3 points and 8.3 rebounds over 26 games.

But Bogut could help shore up Boston’s rebounding woes. The 7-footer has a rebounding percentage of 21.8 this season, and it was 18.3 percent last year. Tyler Zeller’s rebounding percentage of 13.7 leads the Celtics this season.

The Celtics’ roster sits at 15 players, so they would have to waive a player to acquire Bogut.

Since Bogut is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, he is viewing this final stretch as a way to both audition and hopefully find a more long-term fit, a source said.

Free agent Terrence Jones’s camp, meanwhile, initiated preliminary discussions with the Celtics recently, but it is extremely unlikely that the veteran forward will reach an agreement with Boston, league sources said.

Jones, who is averaging 11.5 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season, negotiated a buyout with the Pelicans after the team acquired DeMarcus Cousins from the Kings. Jones immediately became one of the more attractive options in the buyout market, but a source said that Jones is focused on going somewhere where he would have a chance to play extensively.

While the Celtics need a rebounder, they also have a deep team that is sitting comfortably in second place in the Eastern Conference, so an opportunity for Jones would hardly be guaranteed.

Jones’s camp has had discussions with several teams, but no deal appears imminent, a source said. Since both Jones and Bogut were waived prior to March 1, they will be eligible to join a playoff roster

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Andrew Bogut -  narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston Empty Re: Andrew Bogut - narrowed his next destination to Cleveland, Houston, San Antonio or Boston

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 am

I'd rather have Jones myself, guarantee him Horford's minutes it would have to be an upgrade.

interesting that the article states that Bogut is such a good rebounder and yet the guy hat is the Celtics best rebounder by the same stat they use (Zeller) can rarely get off the bench. SO why would the immobile Bogut play?

all that means Danny will most likely sign him.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:49 am

kdp59 wrote:I'd rather have Jones myself, guarantee him Horford's minutes it would have to be an upgrade.

interesting that the article states that Bogut is such a good rebounder and yet the guy hat is the Celtics best rebounder by the same stat they use (Zeller) can rarely get off the bench. SO why would the immobile Bogut play?

all that means Danny will most likely sign him.

Kdp,

There is more than just rebounding.  Bogut doesn't get pushed around like Zeller and is a much better rim protector.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

I'm not so sure how much of a rim protector he is anymore.

he's old and moves slower than Amir, why would Brad give him minutes?

but like I said I expect Danny to sign him. hell maybe he'll give him a long term deal in the off-season, nothing would surprise me right now.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

Don't rule out the Cavs.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:49 am

While the Celtics need a rebounder, they also have a deep team ...BUT not deep at center. Bogut is a very good center. Last year he played a major role on a 73 win team, We don't have a need for him? Come on Danny. We need help rebounding.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm

The more I watch the Cs I am beginning to believe that they not only need a guy who can rebound, but also rebound with an attitude.

Is this team a little bit too soft? The last two games indicate that they just may be.

I am not a big Bogut fan as he has only been able to play in about half the games this year due to injuries, but he may be our only hope for adding a tough guy to help the other guys out.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Why does Bogut have to talk to players about fitting into the Celtics system, would he best be served by talking directly to Brad?

He's just using the Celtics...................95% he signs with Cleveland.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm

112288 wrote:Why does Bogut have to talk to players about fitting into the Celtics system, would he best be served by talking directly to Brad?

He's just using the Celtics...................95% he signs with Cleveland.

According to the most recent update I posted, he spoke to Danny  (that went well), was going to talk to Brad next and, assuming that goes well too, might speak to players.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 1 hour ago
Andrew Bogut spoke with multiple coaches about role today, source says. Now mulling options. Decision could come tonight. Cs still in mix.
reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks Bob!

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 pm

I am sure that Bogut wanted to get some 'inside' info on the team's inner workings rather than get his role by talking to the players. He easily would have gotten his role from Stevens. I I were Coach Stevens I would tell him that his role is "grab every single doggone rebound on both ends of the floor!!!!!".

Some things he may have been looking for might have been: team dynamics, who leads, how is leadership handled, what challenges are put forth by the coaching staff, how does the team get along behind closed doors, what is the respect level for the coaches by the players, how do they think that he will fit in, etc, etc.

When you change teams by your decision, lots of questions can go through your mind that players may be able to answer better than the head coach.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245149/Andrew-Bogut-Agrees-To-Sign-With-Cavaliers

Andrew Bogut Agrees To Sign With Cavaliers
FEB 28, 2017 7:49 PM

Andrew Bogut has committed to signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Bogut and the Philadelphia 76ers agreed upon a buyout following his trade.

Bogut also considered the Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics.

bob
MY NOTE: So that's that.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Probably his last rodeo. May as well take your best shot at a title.

Smart move for him.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm

James must be quite happy - Derrick Williams, Deron Williams, Kyle Korver, and now Andrew Bogut all added in the last 15 or so days.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 am

and Durant hurt his pinkie and only played 2 minutes tonight

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 am

Durant hurt his KNEE and may be gone the rest of the season. the playoffs are iffy at this point, they are saying.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Not surprised.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/sources-andrew-bogut-plans-to-sign-with-cavs-after-he-clears-waivers-010720578.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down