The leagues that help feed the NBA??

5 posters

Go down

The leagues that help feed the NBA?? Empty The leagues that help feed the NBA??

Post by wideclyde Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am

Certainly the NCAA is the best feeder system for the NBA as it provides far more players directly to the NBA than
any of the other leagues (worldwide) combined.

My question is how do the other leagues (China, Euro, D-League, etc, etc) compare to each other?

If Nader is averaging 22 PPG in the D League how would that compare to the other leagues? Jimmer Ferdette, who never
made the NBA is killing the Chinese league (not sure if there is only one league in China or are there different divisions)
with about 30 PPG. What would Nader be doing in the Euro League?

I find it very difficult to compare the readiness of all of the Cs guys who are playing in other leagues. I am sure that it
is very unlikely that any of our guys in China, Europe of the D league will be ready to make significant contributions
next season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

The leagues that help feed the NBA?? Empty Re: The leagues that help feed the NBA??

Post by swish Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm

wideclyde wrote:Certainly the NCAA is the best feeder system for the NBA as it provides far more players directly to the NBA than
any of the other leagues (worldwide) combined.

My question is how do the other leagues (China, Euro, D-League, etc, etc) compare to each other?

If Nader is averaging 22 PPG in the D League how would that compare to the other leagues?  Jimmer Ferdette, who never
made the NBA is killing the Chinese league (not sure if there is only one league in China or are there different divisions)
with about 30 PPG.  What would Nader be doing in the Euro League?

I find it very difficult to compare the readiness of all of the Cs guys who are playing in other leagues.  I am sure that it
is very unlikely that any of our guys in China, Europe of the D league will be ready to make significant contributions
next season.

wideclyde

I try to avoid getting too excited about a bunch of under 21 year old kids - even when they are high draft picks. I've developed a wait and see attitude when it comes to evaluating the potential for even the most highly regarded prospects. And of course, the Lower the pick the greater the skepticism I have. International ball certainly has plenty of questions about various levels of competition. I suspect that even the best of talent hunters have some difficulty in grading those International prospects. So as a plain old fan I just sit back and watch it all play out. Eventually we find out which players are the keepers.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

The leagues that help feed the NBA?? Empty Re: The leagues that help feed the NBA??

Post by kdp59 Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:47 pm

the Euro league is probably highest level.

D-league probably rates lower.

Chinese is suspect.

there are lesser leagues in Europe and all over also.

so Zizic is now playing at the top level (non NBA)

Nader probably next

Yabusele played in the lesser league.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Yabu played in Europe before moving over to China.

I pretty much agree with the pecking order of competition.

As we contemplate all 3 players it is difficult to know which one is the best prospect to play next year.

Nadar has the advantage over both of them irrespective of the competition aspect because Nadar is playing in the same system in Maine as they run in Boston.

Yabu was the 16th pick so Boston must have been higher on him that either Zizic or Nadar but things can and will change.

Having these 3 players is one of the reason why Danny was reluctant to add any long term contracts or move assets.

dboss

Yabu ws the 16th pick so Boston must have been higher on him that either Zizic or Nadar

Last edited by dboss on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Take the time to go through the list of players, in the below link, and note those that you believe have played a significant role in the nba. Its a bunch of Never were's and probably Never will be's.

http://dleague.nba.com/all-players/

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:45 pm

D league players that have made it to the NBA .. just a short list here. A lot of players are drafted and spend some time in the D League

Hassan Whiteside. Center, Energy/Heat.
Rudy Gobert. Center, Jam/Jazz.
Clint Capela. Forward, Vipers/Rockets.
Jordan Clarkson. Guard, D-Fenders/Lakers.
Seth Curry. Guard, BayHawks/Mavericks.
Danny Green. Guard, Spurs.
CJ McCollum. Guard, Stampede/Blazers.
Jeremy Lin. Guard, Bighorns/Nets.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm

dboss wrote:D league players that have made it to the NBA .. just a short list here.  A lot of players are drafted and spend some time in the D League

Hassan Whiteside. Center, Energy/Heat.
Rudy Gobert. Center, Jam/Jazz.
Clint Capela. Forward, Vipers/Rockets.
Jordan Clarkson. Guard, D-Fenders/Lakers.
Seth Curry. Guard, BayHawks/Mavericks.
Danny Green. Guard, Spurs.
CJ McCollum. Guard, Stampede/Blazers.
Jeremy Lin. Guard, Bighorns/Nets.

dboss

Thanks for pointing out the fact that over the years many players that played in the nba have gone onto have solid to very good careers in the nba. I don't know if the link that I used ( the 2016-17 season) is representative of all d league seasons so perhaps its not fair for me to be so critical of the level of play just based on the 2016-17 season.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:57 pm

dboss wrote:Yabu played in Europe before moving over to China.

I pretty much agree with the pecking order of competition.

As we contemplate all 3 players it is difficult to know which one is the best prospect to play next year.

Nadar has the advantage over both of them irrespective of the competition aspect because Nadar is playing in the same system in Maine as they run in Boston.

Yabu was the 16th pick so Boston must have been higher on him that either Zizic or Nadar but things can and will change.

Having these 3 players is one of the reason why Danny was reluctant to add any long term contracts or move assets.

dboss

Yabu ws the 16th pick so Boston must have been higher on him that either Zizic or Nadar

dboss,

Just to offer an alternative theory on the highlighted sentence, perhaps the reason Danny drafted Yabusele higher than Zizic is because he likes Zizic more and thinks he has a better chance of making the team, and his contract at #23 is cheaper than #16.  Neither was expected to be drafted as high as they were, certainly true for Yabusele, so there was no need for him to use the higher pick on Zizic since he was not jockeying with another GM for position to pick him.  The #16 pick makes $1.57M his first year while the #23 pick makes $1.15M.  Not much difference, true, but the total after 3 years is $4.93M vs $3.61M and that's just 3 years.  Over 4-5 years the difference increases.  $1.5M doesn't sound like much in today's NBA, and it isn't, but it will pay for a veteran minimum player for a year or two and why pay more for a player whose rights you own and whom you are not competing for with another GM on draft day?  Some people think that, if Zizic had entered the draft this year instead of last, he'd be a top 10 pick.  What would the trade value of a top 10 player on a longterm rookie contract (#10 makes $2.14M/year, with it going up $100k-$300k/year for every spot you go higher in the draft) be if you could get him for just $1.15M?  $1M+/year, for a couple of years, difference between a #23 pick and a top 10 pick is very enticing to GMs.

Put simply, I think Danny is the ultimate puppet master and he would not be above doing something like this.  As it is, as has been pointed out on this thread, this might be the first time ANY GM has Euro/Chinese stashed TWO first round picks before.  Our Danny is definitely someone who thinks "outside the box".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 pm

It has been suggested that Yabu was a reach at 16. You could say DA has more invested in him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down