Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues

4 posters

Go down

Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues Empty Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:25 am

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/08/celtics-marcus-smart-plans-play-two-summer-leagues/9nqiSunMqEZXZKsCNY4VYL/story.html

Celtics’ Marcus Smart plans to play in two summer leagues

Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues 2015-04-05T033714Z_428366518_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NBA-BOSTON-CELTICS-AT-TORONTO-RAPTORS
Apr 4, 2015; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart (36) drives into the key against Toronto Raptors center Jonas Valanciunas (17) and guard Lou Williams (23 in the second half at Air Canada Centre. The Celtics won 117-116 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
DAN HAMILTON/USA TODAY SPORTS

Celtics guard Marcus Smart says that although his sprained ankle is still bothersome, he has been able to attack the rim more lately.

By Adam Himmelsbach and Gary WashburnGLOBE STAFF  APRIL 09, 2015

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Celtics guard Marcus Smart said he intends to play in the NBA summer leagues this year. The Celtics are expected to have entries in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, and Smart is likely to play for both teams. He participated in last year’s summer league in Orlando.

“I’m sure I will be playing — that’s the plan,” he said. “First-year, second-year guys play. [Phil] Pressey played, [Kelly] Olynyk played their first two years, so I don’t think I’ll be any much different than those two guys were. It will be a great experience, to get more familiarity with the game. I will have known a lot more. It will be good for me.”

Smart missed 10 games in November and December with a badly sprained left ankle that he said has not completely healed. The time between the end of the Celtics’ season and summer league will allow the rookie to rest.

“It’s getting there. It’s not 100 percent,” he said of the ankle. “It’s closer than it was a couple of months ago. Just got to stay on top of it, keep working on it to get it back stronger, get it to its full potential. I’m attacking the rim a lot more, getting in the paint a little more.

“It’s still hard for me to explode off of it but I’m attacking a little more because it feels better.”

Smart, who scored 3 points in Wednesday night’s 113-103 victory over Detroit, is averaging 7.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 3.1 assists.

Moving, at their pace

When players are traded during a season, they must quickly adjust to new teammates, new plays, and a new city. And amid the hullabaloo, it can be a challenge to take care of everyday tasks.

So when former Pistons forwards Jonas Jerebko and Gigi Datome — who were traded to the Celtics on Feb. 19 — returned to Detroit with their new team, they mixed game preparation with other matters.

Datome said his parents came to Detroit to help him close out his lease, and they spent most of Tuesday packing his belongings. Jerebko has been living in a hotel in Boston, and he said he went back to his Michigan home to refresh his wardrobe.

“Time to change the dirty stuff into some new and bring it back to Boston,” he said.

Wait, Jonas, you were traded to Boston seven weeks ago. That’s a long time with dirty clothes.

“The cleaning service at the hotel has been good,” he explained, “but switch it up a little bit.”

Jerebko, who had lived in Detroit since 2009, said his Celtics teammates gave him their complementary tickets so his friends could attend Wednesday’s game.

Arrival, departure

The Celtics on Monday signed guard Chris Babb to a nonguaranteed multiyear contract and waived veteran forward Shavlik Randolph. Babb has remained with the D-League’s Maine Red Claws.

“He’s been around our team and he’s worked out with those guys,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said of Babb. “He played with us last year, and his intangibles are excellent.”

Babb played in 14 games with the Celtics last season and was with the team during training camp this year. He had 15 points and seven rebounds in the Red Claws’ 104-103 loss to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants in their opening game of the D-League playoffs Tuesday night.

Stevens also spoke highly of Randolph, who played in just five games after being acquired from the Suns in January before being waived this week.

“I really enjoyed Shavlik,” Stevens said. “I thought Shavlik added to the team; he added to the culture. He was a great practice guy and he was just awesome on the bench.”

Stevens lauds UConn

UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma won his 10th national championship Tuesday, guiding the Huskies to a 63-53 win over Notre Dame. And he can count Stevens among his admirers.

“Geno is a great coach, and they’ve done amazing things,” Stevens said. “I watch them play anytime that I can . . . You watch them play and they play as a team. They execute, they run great stuff. Hats off to them.”

Playoff subplot looms

The Celtics are tied with the Brooklyn Nets for seventh place in the Eastern Conference and one game ahead of the Heat and Pacers with four games remaining. As the chase goes down to the season’s final days, an interesting subplot has developed. The Celtics visit the Cavaliers on Friday before the teams meet again at TD Garden on Sunday. Cleveland cannot catch the top-seeded Hawks, but Wednesday night’s victory over the Bucks assured the Cavaliers of the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. The Cavaliers will have little to play for down the stretch . . . Wednesday’s game against the Pistons was broadcast on ESPN, the Celtics’ first appearance on the network this season.

bob
MY NOTE: Interesting that the Celtics are planning to field a team in Orlando AND Vegas. Usually they only do Orlando. Hmmm. What to make of that?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues Empty Re: Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues

Post by wide clyde Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Bob,

I think that the Cs will play in both summer leagues because they may be anticipating having a bunch of draft picks and also some free agent guys who they will consider for the Red Claws for next year.

If Smart is going to play on the summer roster then I would anticipate that Young will also play. The big kid (sorry, but I can never seem to remember his name) who is currently playing in Spain for the last two seasons will likely play as well in what may be his last opportunity to show that he is an NBA player.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues Empty Re: Marcus Smart Plans To Play In Two Summer Leagues

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:49 pm

wide clyde wrote:Bob,

I think that the Cs will play in both summer leagues because they may be anticipating having a bunch of draft picks and also some free agent guys who they will consider for the Red Claws for next year.

If Smart is going to play on the summer roster then I would anticipate that Young will also play.  The big kid (sorry, but I can never seem to remember his name) who is currently playing in Spain for the last two seasons will likely play as well in what may be his last opportunity to show that he is an NBA player.

clyde,

That would be Colton Iverson.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks, Bob.  The problem is that I will likely forget his name again the next time I need to remember it as for some reason his name just never sticks with me. But, I do like the kid and hope that he can find a place in the NBA at some time.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Good observation, Clyde.  And being in two leagues will hopefully provide us with a lot to discuss.  I'm already looking forward to determining the winner of Bob's and my "hotshot of the summer" honor, aka the "Sims Award."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Last year, I was traveling a lot during the summer and didn't get to watch any Summer League games. Maybe this year I will be at home and join in the Game On! threads.

I had read earlier that the Celtics will be in two Summer leagues. With all the young guys we currently have and the ones we will be adding, it makes total sense. Danny always likes to have extra guys around so he can add the ones that don't make the Celtics to the Red Claws, thus bypassing the DL draft.

Hopefully we will be settled into our new home by the time Summer League rolls around. We are currently renting. Today, we viewed a house and then made an offer. I hope the sellers accept the offer.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:15 am

gyso,

Best of luck in getting your offer accepted.  Seems as though you and Janie have been in "residential limbo" for some time.  Not to mention the fact that, if you got award points for all the miles you've driving during the past year, you'd practically own the award company.

Both of you must be loving the North Carolina spring.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down