Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm

3 posters

Go down

Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm Empty Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:48 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/03/bulpett_al_horford_preaches_calm_amid_rising_storm

Bulpett: Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm

Steve Bulpett

Friday, March 10, 2017

Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm 030917celtics1
Credit: AP photo
LOOKING A-OK: Jae Crowder celebrates after hitting a 3-pointer during the Celtics’ victory against the Warriors on Wednesday in Oakland, Calif.

DENVER — The Celtics have earned themselves a pair of signature victories the last two Wednesdays — two large, John Hancock-on-the-Declaration-of-Independence signature victories.

But even while defeating Cleveland then Golden State, the respective and respected leaders of the Eastern and Western conferences, the Celts know they will still be viewed as merely a “regular season team” if they don’t translate what they do now to the playoffs.

Last year the Celtics won 48 games and tied for the third-best record in the East, but that still got them just a second straight first round dismissal.

This year, they have imported someone who not only understands the difference between these games and the ones after April 12, but was part of the plot to send the Celts home early last season.

“In the playoffs, teams turn up the pressure and the refs let you play a little more,” said Al Horford. “And when I was in Atlanta, what worked against them last year was that we turned on the heat against them. We pressured them and sped them up, and I think that teams have done that to us this year and it has affected us.

“I think that if we can stay solid, composed, make the right plays and get good shots out of that, we’ll be in a good position. And I feel like we’ve improved in that area this year, but we still have to get better, and we have only a few regular season games to do it.”

The operative element seems fairly simple, but it’s clear the C’s have work to do. They play hard on a more regular basis than most teams in the NBA — a fact that helps puff out their record. But they don’t always play smart basketball. That has to change if they want to hang around this spring.

“I think it’s just us understanding the value of the possessions,” said Horford. “I think that we have a group that can play with anyone, but where we get in trouble is when we don’t take care of the ball and we’re reckless with it and we’re taking bad shots and just turning the ball over. So if we value possessions a little more, I think that we don’t have a ceiling. I think that we can be special, but I think that that’s the key.

“We’re learning as a group, and (against the Warriors) we did a better job. We stayed composed. If we can do that, we’re going to be all right. Coach (Brad Stevens) has really been on us about that, and I probably need to start being more vocal about that, because I don’t know if guys really see the potential. As playoffs get near, we have to start playing with that intensity and play better basketball. The possessions are important. You have to take care of the ball.”

Also important to the Celtics is Horford, which makes it rather helpful to the enterprise that he’s begun to play really well. It’s been noted here that the club is 34-17 with him and 7-7 when he doesn’t play, but over the last three games he’s played (he missed the losses to Phoenix and the Clippers with a sprained right elbow), the big man is averaging 12.0 points on 57.7 percent shooting with 6.7 rebounds and 6.3 large assists. He’s made 3-of-4 treys.

“I’m starting to feel good,” Horford said. “I’ve been in a weird funk. It’s been weeks, and I really don’t understand it, so I’m just trying to do everything that I do — my routine, keep working, keep watching film — and I knew that eventually I was kind of going to get over that. Hopefully I can start getting some momentum now.”

In some ways, Horford counts as more than just one player because of his residual effect on others.

“I try to bring balance,” he said. “I just want to be making the right plays. I probably have to do a better job of staying after guys and making sure that we understand that we have to play the right way. I just have to keep making plays, either scoring or passing the ball and just making the game easier for Isaiah and the rest of the guys.”

If Horford keeps this up, he may ruin his sister Anna’s chance to make Twitter’s All-Defensive team. She won’t have to repel the social media critics.

“I know, right?” said Al with a laugh. “That’s what it is. She’s got my back always.”

And Horford now appears even more prepared to have the Celtics’ back.

bob
MY NOTE:  "the club is 34-17 with him and 7-7 when he doesn’t play".  The bottom line is the bottom line and we seem to win with him A LOT more than we do without him.  Is that about our lack of depth at that position?  Yeah, I think so, but he is also a really good glue guy, like Jae Crowder is.  We need another Alpha, like IT, but glue guys make everyone better, including role players, and as we are seeing with our "IT and D" lineup it frees up our Alpha to be better too.  If we still had Sully instead of Al what would our record be?  Even if Sully stayed healthy, which he didn't do in Toronto, and didn't turn into a municipal monument with legs because he can't grasp the basic fundamentals of conditioning, would we have the same record as we have now?  I say "NO".  As far as the size of his contract goes I'm going to quote our old friend Sam and say "that's Danny's business and I'll leave it to him".  Remember how we all got a little crazy when he offered Avery Bradley $9M/year for 4 years and we thought Danny had lost his mind?  Well, Avery and Jae are now on two of the most team-friendly contracts in the league for what they give a team.  Danny knows stuff we don't.  The difference between 34-17 (.667) and 7-7 (.500) is the difference between 41 wins and 54 wins.  Wouldn't you pay a player top dollar for 13 more wins HOWEVER he made it happen, even if it doesn't show up in the boxscore?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm Empty Re: Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am

Glue guys don't make $26M per year, sorry. he needs to do that AND MORE to earn his contract.

and no 12 points and 6 rebounds for a big man aint' cutting it, for me.

Horford is correct about the playoffs and I still have hope that he earns his salary then.
I want to see 16pt/8 rebs a game along with the defense (which he HAS upgraded) and the passing and "glue".

at his contract he HAS to be our second option as a scorer and more of an inside battler come the playoffs, we have no one else to be honest.

so Al, earn your money!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm Empty Re: Al Horford preaches calm amid rising storm

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't know about the money, but maybe as a vet who knows his body, he's rounding into shape for when games mean the most (my green-tinted glasses). I think he would thrive with a strong starting 5. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Problem is Horford has always been a starting center in the NBA.

maybe it's time we understand that and quit wanting him to be something he is not.

the money manners......and at this point his signing has been a bad one, IMO.

Al can change my mind and I sure hope he does. But I for one will not make excuses for a guy getting max money that limits what Danny can do over the next 3 years.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down