Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut?

+6
fierce
kdp59
RosalieTCeltics
sinus007
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Who Will Be Cut?

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_lcap0%Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_lcap0%Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_lcap31%Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 4 ]
[ 0 ]
Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_lcap23%Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]
Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_lcap46%Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 13

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Empty Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut?

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/08/boston_celtics_roster_what_doe.html

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut?

Posted August 14, 2017 at 04:00 PM | Updated August 14, 2017 at 03:53 PM

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Share-3png-c227ec6719db6b98

[i]The Boston Celtics filled their last available roster spot on Friday, signing second-round pick and former California guard Jabari Bird to a two-way contract — a new contract option this season made available for teams who want to take advantage of the G-League (yes, I hate typing “G-League” as much as you hate reading it).

The Celtics now have 16 guaranteed contracts on their roster and two two-way deals, meaning that this is their final roster entering the 2016-17 season.

It’s a very good roster. The Celtics employ three potential All-Stars (depending on how you evaluate Al Horford), two stud prospects at the wing positions, an actual center (and maybe two, if Ante Zizic pans out) and a whole bunch of versatile players who can do a lot of different things as needed.
But the Celtics will need to cut someone. Here’s a closer look at the players who could be involved, and how the Celtics’ roster currently breaks down.

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? DG-J_dWXYAAytwp
Follow
Semi Ojeleye ✔ @SemiOjeleye
Finally in my @celtics uni! Thank God for this opportunity! Check out my 1st trading card #PaniniNBARookie https://store.paniniamerica.net/cards/panini-instant/what-s-hot/semi-ojeleye-2017-panini-instant-nba-rps-first-look-30-august-10.html …
3:12 PM - Aug 11, 2017
55 55 Replies   353 353 Retweets   1,617 1,617 likes

The End of the Bench

Last year, the competition was between James Young and R.J. Hunter, two players who had very little chance of ever actually cracking the rotation. This year, the talent pool is a little bit deeper, and some of the candidates could actually find minutes, especially if the Celtics run into any injury issues.
So who is in danger of being cut?

Here's a closer look.

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Guerschon-yabuselealex-kirk-987cf42e19ca7eae
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer

Guerschon Yabusele

Why He Might Stay: Rest easy, #YabuHive: Yabusele almost certainly isn’t going anywhere. The young power forward was the 16th pick in 2016 for a reason beyond just a draft-and-stash — he’s an intriguingly versatile offensive talent that showed what he could potentially do in the D-League last year.

Why He Might Get Cut: There’s a very outside chance that the other prospects for the final spot outplay Yabusele, who will have a hard time cracking the rotation. Still, it’s nearly impossible to imagine that he is in any actual danger before he plays an NBA game.

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? DG9xHSiXsAczI3D
Follow
Tom Nolette @MBRmaine
Semi Ojeleye is ready for the #Celtics season to start. #mesports
1:22 PM - Aug 11, 2017
1 1 Reply   55 55 Retweets   114 114 likes

Semi Ojeleye

Why He Might Stay: Ojeleye was the Celtics’ first second-round pick, and he impressed both defensively and as a 3-point shooter in Summer League. He could be a versatile rookie who helps off the bench immediately. Stevens complimented his defensive energy in a Summer League interview, which would suggest that Boston sees him as valuable — as does the four-year deal the Celtics negotiated with him. It would be a strange move to hand out a four-year deal only to move on from a prospect in favor of Shane Larkin or Abdel Nader, especially given Ojeleye's NBA role-player potential.

Why He Might Get Cut: The wing depth on the Celtics’ roster is significant, and Ojeleye could potentially be a casualty. He is considerably more versatile defensively than offensively, and if the Celtics decide they have enough defensively versatile wings, Abdel Nader could get preferential treatment.

Still, the smart money is on Ojeleye and Yabusele being more or less locks to be on the team.

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Shane-larkin-markel-brown-697865027a9bd41f
AP Photo/Kathy Willens

Shane Larkin

Why He Might Stay: The Celtics don’t have much back-up point-guard insurance if Isaiah Thomas or Marcus Smart gets injured. Larkin is nearly as undersized as Thomas and unlikely to get consistent minutes, but he’s an acceptably cheap second stringer that could prove very helpful particularly if Thomas is forced to miss any early time with his hip injury. Meanwhile, the Celtics have already built a team around an undersized point guard who doesn’t help defensively, which would minimize Larkin's biggest weakness. He could be in a solid situation in Boston.

Why He Might Get Cut: Simply put, he’s an end-of-the-bench player. If the Celtics like the promise of all of their wings and young players, Larkin could be the casualty.

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? DFNGfOsUwAAuyC5
Follow
Boston Celtics ✔ @celtics
The Celtics have signed rookie center @dtheis10.

Theis

Last edited by bobheckler on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Empty Re: Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut?

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,
Why isn't Nader on the list?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Empty Re: Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Trade?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,

AK

sinus,

Ooops. Screwed up. Vote for 'Other' and then specify who the other is in your post.

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know how to change the poll to add him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Bobh,
Did as you suggested: Other=Nader. This is my vote.
Obviously, it doesn't assume a trade.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 pm

I agree Nader has he biggest chance of getting cut....right now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Larkin!

Like the article said, he's an end of the bench player.

Why He Might Get Cut: Simply put, he’s an end-of-the-bench player. If the Celtics like the promise of all of their wings and young players, Larkin could be the casualty.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

You cannot cut Nader.............it would send a bad message for other D League players with Maine Red Claw that they have no shot at the Big Club.

Nader stays for now unless packaged in a trade.

You cannot have a shortage of good shooters as Nader is.

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 pm

112288 wrote:You cannot cut Nader.............it would send a bad message for other D League players with Maine Red Claw that they have no shot at the Big Club.

Nader stays for now unless packaged in a trade.

You cannot have a shortage of good shooters as Nader is.

Agree.

The Celts already knew they would have 5 or more SFs and they still signed Nader.

Larkin is just an insurance in case IT is not ready to go at the start of training camp.
If IT is ready to go in October then Larkin is gone.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 pm

bobheckler wrote:

AK

sinus,

Ooops.  Screwed up.  Vote for 'Other' and then specify who the other is in your post.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I don't know how to change the poll to add him.

bob

Bob,

You can change Other to Nader by clicking edit and scrolling to the bottom of the edit screen.  When first opened, the screen looks like it ends at the bottom of your monitor, but there is more there.  There is a field for polls; it's below Attach File, Options and Calendar.  Overwrite Other and save your changes.  You can also add Other back in, as well as more names if you wish.  I didn't want to make the change for you since I didn't know if you wish to just leave it as is, in case some had selected Other, but not meaning Nader.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 pm

I took Other, meaning Nader.  His game is too limited and didn't look strong enough for the NBA from what I've seen of him.

I think it's a tough call between several players, especially Nader, Theis, and Larkin.  I could also see Larkin going because I don't think we need to be four deep at PG.  I'm not sure Theis is an NBA talent either, but haven't seen enough of him.  He does have size, which we desperately need.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the players in this poll get a visit from The Turk.

Edit; I have since canceled and changed Other to Nader.

Last edited by NYCelt on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Vote change)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 am

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

AK

sinus,

Ooops.  Screwed up.  Vote for 'Other' and then specify who the other is in your post.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I don't know how to change the poll to add him.

bob

Bob,

You can change Other to Nader by clicking edit and scrolling to the bottom of the edit screen.  When first opened, the screen looks like it ends at the bottom of your monitor, but there is more there.  There is a field for polls; it's below Attach File, Options and Calendar.  Overwrite Other and save your changes.  You can also add Other back in, as well as more names if you wish.  I didn't want to make the change for you since I didn't know if you wish to just leave it as is, in case some had selected Other, but not meaning Nader.

Regards

NYCelt,

Something weird going on. I am not seeing what you are describing despite my making sure that I went all the way to the bottom.

It is what it is, unless some other mod fixes it, I'll just try to not screw up next time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

Theis is the German Bobby Jones, man.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 pm

I added a couple more options below "Other" and allowed vote cancelling. That way folks can change their prior vote, as I did.

I changed from Other to Abdel Nader. It was a coin toss between Nader and Shane Larkin. I consider Larkin to be Isaiah Thomas insurance. I am not convinced Isaiah can make a go of it, at this moment.

Of course a trade changes everything.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:07 am

u r right my vote got cancelled lol
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am

I think that pix of Theis was taken somewhere in the Med, maybe Greece.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am

worcester wrote:I think that pix of Theis was taken somewhere in the Med, maybe Greece.

Poor thing.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? Jones6

Boston Celtics roster: What does contract situation look like? Who is most likely to be cut? 2,w=993,q=high,c=0.bild

just sayin'
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Still going with other. I still feel there is a trade possibility. Can't see Danny offering Nader a contract knowing he will not probably make the team. Larkin? this one puzzles me. I know they needed a backup to IT but ? Larkin? Just seems like maybe there is a possibility that Danny is hoping to use one or both as a throw in with someone else (Crowder) for a trade.

I know, I know. They really don't hold much trade value but......???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 pm

This makes it seem like i do not like Jae, but quite the opposite, I love what he has brought to this team, it is just that he seems like an obvious choice unless you want to include Marcus.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down