+3
RosalieTCeltics
pete
dboss
7 posters

Go down

More Trade Comments Empty More Trade Comments

Post by dboss Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/8/24/16197260/kenny-smith-isaiah-thomas-human-being-loyalty

Other takes on the trade
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

More Trade Comments Empty Re: More Trade Comments

Post by pete Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I agree with what he is saying. I am really sad for IT, who really grasped what it is that makes a Celtic a Celtic.
Always easier to trade someone who never got it.

I would make a lousy GM.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 pm

On top of all the trade news, poor Jae Crowder has to deal with the death of his Mother who passed away the night he was traded of cancer.

Life can be so cruel
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:22 pm

They were both good Celtics. They will both be missed. But when you have an opportunity to grab a #1 overall pick, in his prime, a four time All Star and Gold Medal winner, with one NBA title under his belt, you HAVE to do it!
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 pm

We just need to understand that the NBA is a business.  When players decide they need a change fans should embrace it instead of demeaning them.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm

dboss wrote:We just need to understand that the NBA is a business.  When players decide they need a change fans should embrace it instead of demeaning them.

Dboss

I agree to a certain extent.

Durant supporters always use the 'it's a business argument' and say that if he was an unhappy CEO who chose to leave for a competitor in order put his new company over the top in the Fortune 500 World (while having more fun doing it) nobody would have given a damn.

But basketball is a also a sport/game and certain rules, written and unwritten, accompany it. You can tarnish something that children and rabid fan bases love by lessening the competitive aspect of it. By not overcoming the same odds or having to personally dominate at the same level as stars from the past did, players who collude to create super teams with their friends like LeBron and Durant should never be given a free pass in the legacy department after having done so.

That being said, when players give their heart and soul to a franchise and truly want to be part of something special (and actively recruit FA's like Horford to join them) a trade like this leaves a sour taste in your mouth as a fan for sure. It is fine to feel bad for Isiah and Jae (if they truly hate the trade, for all we know they may not). But when remembering that this is a business that also makes me remember that these players are very well compensated for dealing with these ups and downs. IT thinks he deserves 4x his current paycheck and Jae at least 2x, but they both make 40-50x what I make, and there is no question in my mind that I'd have let my company ship me to Siberia or even Oklahoma age 28-32 if it meant I'd have had a salary of 25-35 million those years.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I felt the same way about Leon Powe. Played hurt, which made the injury worse and it shortened his career. Heck Bird and McHale did the same thing, but there was more loyalty to them. Not the best business decision, but sure was a "feel good" moment.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30 pm

There are several players who have left this team even though they did not want to (Cedric Maxwell for example) He has said he felt he was cheated out of earning another ring by his trade, but this was Red's decision. So, even though we feel a certain way about players, it is out of our control. Powe was a great example, he worked so hard to get himself back into shape after his injury but never made it back here and had his career cut short.

In the words of a very wise person (my Mom)

IT IS WHAT IT IS AND WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:51 pm

BleedGreen wrote:
dboss wrote:We just need to understand that the NBA is a business.  When players decide they need a change fans should embrace it instead of demeaning them.

Dboss

I agree to a certain extent.

Durant supporters always use the 'it's a business argument' and say that if he was an unhappy CEO who chose to leave for a competitor in order put his new company over the top in the Fortune 500 World (while having more fun doing it) nobody would have given a damn.

But basketball is a also a sport/game and certain rules, written and unwritten, accompany it. You can tarnish something that children and rabid fan bases love by lessening the competitive aspect of it. By not overcoming the same odds or having to personally dominate at the same level as stars from the past did, players who collude to create super teams with their friends like LeBron and Durant should never be given a free pass in the legacy department after having done so.

That being said, when players give their heart and soul to a franchise and truly want to be part of something special (and actively recruit FA's like Horford to join them) a trade like this leaves a sour taste in your mouth as a fan for sure. It is fine to feel bad for Isiah and Jae (if they truly hate the trade, for all we know they may not). But when remembering that this is a business that also makes me remember that these players are very well compensated for dealing with these ups and downs. IT thinks he deserves 4x his current paycheck and Jae at least 2x, but they both make 40-50x what I make, and there is no question in my mind that I'd have let my company ship me to Siberia or even Oklahoma age 28-32 if it meant I'd have had a salary of 25-35 million those years.

I did not read a disagreement here so what do you mean by agreeing to an extent?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 pm

As much as I loved Max, I never felt bad for him. Different category I believe.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Jump on my back and I will take you there one more time...1981. Truly amazing performance by Maxwell
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 pm

I never felt sorry for Max either. He claimed he was working hard to get back from his injury but Red felt otherwise. Walton cam along and that was the end of Max. My point is, he, too, never wanted to go. It is just a part of the game, especially now with the contracts as rich as they are
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Danny is ruthless, that's what it takes to be a great GM.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:22 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Danny is ruthless, that's what it takes to be a great GM.

True.

Trading Pierce and KG is proof of that.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Danny is ruthless, that's what it takes to be a great GM.

Like Bill Belichick
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedGreen Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:23 am

fierce wrote:

True.

Trading Pierce and KG is proof of that.

Really? He was given a Godfather offer for two classy old guys (and Terry too) who could not only stay and play together but actually compete for a title (on paper) right when it was clear that the C's needed to bottom out and go young AND Doc was also leaving. Pierce was sad of course but also excited and really thought the Nets would be the best team he was on since before Shaq got hurt in 2010-11.

Ainge did not have to be ruthless to make that trade. Just practical and calm when he heard it over the phone. How many times since he took over in 2003 did he say he didn't want to do what Red did with Bird, Parish and especially McHale? Turning down trade offers for younger players to remain a middling 1st-2nd rd playoff team with no title hopes. How many times did people talk about how Ainge went to Red in '89 as a player and told him to trade his best friend McHale if the offer really was Schrempf and Sam Perkins for a 31 year old with degenerative foot? That came less than a year after Ainge heard Red turned down Chuck Pearson and the #2 pick in the draft (Rik Smits) for a 32 year old Bird months away from Larry missing pretty much the entire '88-'89 season and never being the same again. Ainge was in favor of that trade too when he put his young GM hat on.

Instead Red traded big mouth Ainge, the youngest and healthiest of the 3, b/c he operated like it was still the 1960's where you can keep guys an entire career and have them retire as 35 year old champions like Russ and Sam. Then he stupidly drafted a 1960's player in Michael Smith over a 1990's one in Tim Hardaway who the rest of the franchise decision makers wanted him to take. Just like that the C's went from a team able to do what Danny did '03- '07 and '13-'16 and instead were crippled for a dozen years.

Wise C's fans all knew Ainge would not make Red's mistakes and began preparing for trades of Pierce and KG as soon as the 2010 Finals was stolen from us. Antoine and now this IT/Jae trade were arguably far more ruthless decisions than trading KG/PP.
BleedGreen
BleedGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:09 pm

I personally think IT is a little sore because he KNOWS he'll never be as good as last year, and his Brinks Truck just got a little smaller.
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Per Sean Grande, radion announcer for Celts. The Celtics are lucky they have a GM who runs the team with his head and not his heart. It killed him to trade Pierce and KG, and it really hurt to let go of IT and Crowder, he thought the world of all of them.

We truly enjoyed those two years with IT, I really thought he was here for the long haul, but this is the NBA, and MONEY is the name of the game these days. So we have to swallow it and start fresh. It is still going to be exciting once they learn about each other. May take a month or two but it will happen
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down