Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade”

5 posters

Go down

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade” Empty Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade”

Post by bobheckler Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cavs-owner-dan-gilbert-kyrie-114816337.html

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade”

Kurt Helin, NBC Sports

2 hours 7 minutes ago

The Cleveland Cavaliers had no choice but to trade Kyrie Irving back in 2017. Irving asked to be moved, and if he hadn’t been there were threats of knee surgery that would have sidelined him much or all of the next season (he didn’t get that surgery, but then missed the 2018 NBA playoffs due to those knee issues).

The trade they took was with Boston: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a 2018 1st round draft pick (which became Collin Sexton) and eventually a 2020 2nd round pick. At the time that didn’t seem bad because we didn’t yet grasp the severity of Thomas’s hip surgery — but the Celtics did. Once Cleveland’s doctors got a look at Thomas the trade was put on hold until more compensation was added, which proved to be the second-round pick.

Looking back now, the Cavaliers didn’t fare well, with all due respect to Sexton (who made the All-Rookie second team). Although that’s to be expected, nobody gets equal value back when trading a superstar.

That’s not how Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert sees it, speaking to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“I don’t know, but I think Kyrie will leave Boston,” said Gilbert. “We could have ended up with nothing. Looking back after all the moves Koby made, we killed it in that trade.”

“Killed it?” I didn’t think the kind of stuff Gilbert must be on was legalized in Ohio yet.

This is a matter of semantics. Was it about as good a deal as GM Koby Altman was going to find at the time? Yes. Again, at the time we thought Thomas would return midway through the next season and be closer to the guy who was fifth in MVP voting the season before than the guy we ended up seeing (which is still a sad story, hopefully Thomas can get back to being a contributor next season somewhere). Crowder was in the rotation on a team that went back to the NBA Finals. Sexton showed some promise as a rookie, maybe not as much as some Cavaliers fans think but he can play.

But “killed it?” To quote the great Inigo Montoya, “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade” Empty Re: Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade”

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am

Hey BobH,

Is that the guys from The Princess Bride?!! "You kill my father...prepare to die!"

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade” Empty Re: Cavs owner Dan Gilbert on Kyrie Irving trade: “We killed it in that trade”

Post by bobheckler Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 am

dbrown4 wrote:Hey BobH,

Is that the guys from The Princess Bride?!!  "You kill my father...prepare to die!"

db

db,

Played by an underrated actor, in my opinion, Mandy Patinkin.  The word that he thought "didn't mean what you think it means", btw, was "Inconceivable!".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 23, 2019 10:46 am

Great movie! That's right. I remember now! I just never knew his first name!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Guess I have to catch up on my movies. Never saw that one.

As for Gilbert, I suppose what else is he going to say? Depending on what happens this offseason, might be one both sides want to forget over time.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm

NYCelt wrote:Guess I have to catch up on my movies. Never saw that one.

As for Gilbert, I suppose what else is he going to say? Depending on what happens this offseason, might be one both sides want to forget over time.

Princess Bride, yes

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri May 24, 2019 6:54 am

At first, it did appear that the Cs won this trade, but now, I believe that Cleveland may have won the trade although I will not agree that "they killed" it.

Thomas was hurt, Zizic was kind of 'meh', Crowder did not make the same impact that he made in Boston and a second round pick this year is not likely to change the fortune of the Cavs. So, Sexton for Irving was OK for Cleveland to this point. Sexton"s development in Cleveland will determine the outcome of the trade with Irving on his way out of Boston for no compensation.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down