jeb
mrkleen09
sdceltfan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celts Play About As well As Capable Empty Celts Play About As well As Capable

Post by sdceltfan Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 pm

The Celtics played about as well as they are capable of playing a 48 minute game in Cleveland. Sure, the big 3 shot pretty poorly the 2nd half and Perkins and Davis couldn't hold onto the ball. But I was proud of the effort!

However, it continues to be apparent that:

1) Wallace is a big negative; play him as little as possible; his quick 3 fouls and choke-shooting contributed more to this loss than at first perceived.

2) When opponents' defensive pressure intensifies, the Celtics' frontline just is too slow and lacking in athleticism. This will not change and will endanger every Celtic / Cavs game.

3) Celtics' bench play continues to be a problem; when Rondo isn't on the court, nothing gets done offensively. I believe Rivers has to play Robinson and Finley more and hope for the best.

4) The Celtics have to continue to PUSH PUSH PUSH the ball in order to win; Cavs have the athleticism, length, and strength to beat the Celtics in half court game.

5) Rondo is the 2nd best player in this series. He should have had 16 - 18 assists tonite. Frontline and bench continue to have a hard time finishing.

6) Hard to believe how much 2008 Posey-style play would mean to this team.

7) Only Divine Providence can save the Celtics in this series.....that or an unraveling by Cavs.

Not at all disappointed with the way Celtics played. Just very predictable, unfortunately.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Celts Play About As well As Capable Empty Re: Celts Play About As well As Capable

Post by mrkleen09 Sun May 02, 2010 12:37 am

sdceltfan wrote:The Celtics played about as well as they are capable of playing a 48 minute game in Cleveland.

Completely disagree.

Celtics played about as well as they care capable IN THE FIRST HALF - and had a big lead because of it.

The second half was one of their worse halfs of basketball in month, certainly the worst they have played in the playoffs. Some of that was the Cavs D - but most was lack of focus, stupid mistakes and miscues, and not taking care of the ball.

The Celtics can beat Cleveland if they do what they need to do. We need bigger output from Ray Allen and Paul Pierce - and we need Perkins to either wake up or sit down. I dont think this series is over by a long shot.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Celts Play About As well As Capable Empty Re: Celts Play About As well As Capable

Post by 112288 Sun May 02, 2010 12:57 am

I agree, play Robinson for 3-5 minutes to get some energy back. Finly should have come in and played more minutes when he saw the team flattening out. besides he's got the 3 point shot and could have engineered some points in the third period. Poor choice by Doc but I like the overall game plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 am

Me too. But they need to execute it for the entire game. Cleve is beatable. But you got to be up by 5 late cause James is going to get calls.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 am

Mrkleen, the Celtics cannot execute the entire game as they executed the first half. The starting frontline does not have the 48 minutes of energy to do it on a consistent basis. If the bench play does not improve significantly, the Celtics cannot win this series (unless unforeseen Cavs injuries occur). The way Rivers has used / misused the bench this year it is a reach to expect more than a few adequate games from the bench.

Hixson, West, Varejo have much more talent, length and athleticism than the Celts bench that played tonite. I think Rivers will be forced to play Robinson and hope he is hot enough to overcome his defensive inadequacies. Play Finley more, for sure. He is playoff tested.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 am

sd you seem to be throwin in the towel a little early. It's the first game. Celts just need a little more scoring from their starters namely pp and ray. The bench is not as good as clevelands true but our starters top to bottom are better.

Cleve held serve tonight.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 am

sdceltics fan

I disagree with your assessment.

The Cavs did not beat Boston. They beat themselves.

The Cavs front line is not more athletic than Boston's. Jamison is their most athletic big he he got shut down by KG's length. Doc did not put the right matchups in place during certain segments of the game.

I agree that Sheed did play poorly but he is still a very good post player and defender and he must be part of the mix becasue baby cannot check Shaq or score in the post against their front line. Sheed should have came in the game when Perk went out.

The Points in the paint where pretty even 54-52 and Boston wants to put the cavs in a halfcourt situation defensively. The Cavs are actually a more dangerous team when they get out and run because James is a great finisher. I think your assessment is wrong. The Celtics would prefer to make the Cavs play slower when they have the ball.

I agree that Boston needs to push the ball. The Celtics miss Eddie House!

with 3:26 in the game it was still anybody's game to win. One game does not make a series.

The Celtics have the players to matchup with the cavs at every position except at the 3 spot where Lebron is simply dominant.

Let's not lose faith so soon because if Boston can take game 2 everything changes.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 am

dboss: The C's even is getting a win in Game 2 which is far from a certainty means the C's would have to beat the CAVS 3 times straight. That ain't happenin' . The CAVS won't lose 3 straight to any team these playoffs. Now the only feasible way for the C's to overcome this blunder is to win games 3,4 & 6 and 7. It's more likely (though not very likely, to beat the CAVS 2 straight games twice in a series rather than 3 staight games. IF it comes down to a 7th game in Cleveland there may be too many outside, and some internal obsticles to overcome!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun May 02, 2010 12:02 pm

sdceltfan wrote:Mrkleen, the Celtics cannot execute the entire game as they executed the first half. The starting frontline does not have the 48 minutes of energy to do it on a consistent basis. If the bench play does not improve significantly, the Celtics cannot win this series (unless unforeseen Cavs injuries occur). The way Rivers has used / misused the bench this year it is a reach to expect more than a few adequate games from the bench.

Hixson, West, Varejo have much more talent, length and athleticism than the Celts bench that played tonite. I think Rivers will be forced to play Robinson and hope he is hot enough to overcome his defensive inadequacies. Play Finley more, for sure. He is playoff tested.

I disagree with your premise - so the rest of your post is just static to me.

The Celtics bench actually EXTENDED the lead in the 2nd quarter - no one is asking the front like to play 48 minutes, that is just ridiculous.

If you dont have any faith in the team or Doc, why torture yourself by watching? Just pick up the towel that you threw in a few months ago and throw it is again. No one will be surprised.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun May 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Mrkleen, I am just stating what I see. You can enjoy games and still be a Celts fan without being a blind supporter. I like my track record a whole lot better than yours.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun May 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Jeb, I am not throwing in the towel completely. I said our bench has to improve significantly, or the Cavs become unraveled for the Celtics to win. I do feel the chances of the Celtics winning are somewhat remote.

The measure of a team's heart is very difficult to guage. But I have been disappointed with the heart shown by the Celtics during the regular season. It will really be tested in this series.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun May 02, 2010 6:34 pm

sdcelt

Ya it's sure been up and down. I liked what I saw in the first round. The bench didnt get much run in the first game. Hard to know what to expect when they aint on the floor very much. I concur though inre heart. To win this we will have to want it way more than they do. We have to share the ball and stick with what I feel is a good game plan by doc and thib.

7 game series are about adjustments. After one game it is too soon to know which way the team will break. But clearly we can play with these guys and they are not an insurmountable hill.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun May 02, 2010 8:37 pm

sdceltfan wrote:Mrkleen, I am just stating what I see. You can enjoy games and still be a Celts fan without being a blind supporter. I like my track record a whole lot better than yours.

If I have to be a negative, nay sayer, glass half empty, grouchy, curmudgeon all season long to beat your track record....you are more than happy to have it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon May 03, 2010 10:17 am

sd said " I believe Rivers has to play Robinson and Finley more and hope for the best."

as i've said before, in game 1 we needed to spell pierce in the third quarter to get him rest and let him get his legs back under him. his shot was off and i suspect his legs were too. Finley could have had some of those minutes, and TA some more. Finley can be a real ace in the hole for us, but he has to be on the floor to do it. bits of of the last two minutes is not where or when we needed him.

mrkleen said "We need bigger output from Ray Allen and Paul Pierce "
we needed to involve Ray more, not rest him. pierce needed toi sit down for a bit ...

dboss said "The Cavs did not beat Boston. They beat themselves. "
i agree 100% with that ...

jeb said "After one game it is too soon to know which way the team will break. But clearly we can play with these guys and they are not an insurmountable hill."
agreed - we showed that we CAN play with these guys, absolutely. we need 48 minutes of hustle and energy, though - therefore need to recognize substitution options better, IMHO. would love to see shelden get some minutes in the rotation, too. on another thread there's talk of Doc's thinking about some minutes for shelden - given sheed's lack of productivity, that'd be a good move.

after ONE GAME which we mostly led, this is NOT over. we do need a 48 minute effort without hitting the wall offensiveley, and we have the guys on this team that could help make sure we don't hit a drought.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 am

To: Bigpygme: I just don't believe it is within this team's DNA to have the ability or stamina to hang with the CAVS for 48 minutes. The second half meltdown proved that. Don't look for Doc to change that much. The way he loves vet players, he has shortened the rotation entirely too short Finley, Robinson, Daniels, and Williams are grossly under used. When Doc gives 'Sheed the early hook, I'll drop a gold brick, and I will be goldbricking, unlike 'sheed's 3 attempts, most of which are just plain bricks!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

thanks for your reply. sort of amused by your comments about sheed, and agree that he has not played up to billing, potential or his former (fairly recent) playoff level.

but i don't agree or think we can't keep up with CLE for 48 minutes. i thought they looked entirely beatable, and if we had stayed the course and stayed with the game plan, we had em. to me it's not so much that they took it to us, as it is we gave it away. and PP couldn't hit a barn from ten feet - he needed a break and never got a meaningful one when he should have been sitting and getting his legs back.

about substitution patterns, i mostly agree with what you said and am not a Doc enthusiast, but hold hope that Doc will use more of the tools and players at his disposal - because he strongly hinted so in the Globe.

tonight is THE NIGHT !!!!!!! C'MON, CELTICS !
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 11:00 pm

sd

How sweet was that?

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon May 03, 2010 11:02 pm

jeb65 wrote:sd

How sweet was that?

jeb

Jeb,

Allow me to interject, incredibly sweet my friend!

Regards,

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 11:03 pm

pete

I hope your elbow heals up. Ice baby ice.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon May 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Boy, it is is sore, but as you can see, it hasn't changed my life, my ability to get the attention of the refs, or my wife, and I am stronger than ever, thanks for your concern! I have never felt stronger!
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 pm

man i feel like king farouk! what a great win! score one for the old guys.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 pm

sdceltfan wrote:The Celtics played about as well as they are capable of playing a 48 minute game in Cleveland. Sure, the big 3 shot pretty poorly the 2nd half and Perkins and Davis couldn't hold onto the ball. But I was proud of the effort!

However, it continues to be apparent that:

1) Wallace is a big negative; play him as little as possible; his quick 3 fouls and choke-shooting contributed more to this loss than at first perceived.

2) When opponents' defensive pressure intensifies, the Celtics' frontline just is too slow and lacking in athleticism. This will not change and will endanger every Celtic / Cavs game.

3) Celtics' bench play continues to be a problem; when Rondo isn't on the court, nothing gets done offensively. I believe Rivers has to play Robinson and Finley more and hope for the best.

4) The Celtics have to continue to PUSH PUSH PUSH the ball in order to win; Cavs have the athleticism, length, and strength to beat the Celtics in half court game.

5) Rondo is the 2nd best player in this series. He should have had 16 - 18 assists tonite. Frontline and bench continue to have a hard time finishing.

6) Hard to believe how much 2008 Posey-style play would mean to this team.

7) Only Divine Providence can save the Celtics in this series.....that or an unraveling by Cavs.

Not at all disappointed with the way Celtics played. Just very predictable, unfortunately.

Go Celtics!!

I wonder if your opinion has changed after tonight?
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 am

and we outrebounded them!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 04, 2010 12:48 am

mrkleen09 wrote:
sdceltfan wrote:Mrkleen, I am just stating what I see. You can enjoy games and still be a Celts fan without being a blind supporter. I like my track record a whole lot better than yours.

If I have to be a negative, nay sayer, glass half empty, grouchy, curmudgeon all season long to beat your track record....you are more than happy to have it.

kleen I'm on your side,PERK was huge against Shaq

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 am

Celtics played well tonite. Rondo was the best player on the floor tonite!!.
I still feel my appraisal of this team is accurate, but I will take a victory anytime. Would love to be proven wrong this series.

Still very disappointed with Wallace defense, but his offense more than offset his defense this evening. Cleveland unraveled tonite, but Boston pressure defense had a lot to do with that.

Great win!!

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next