fierce
KyleCleric
Shamrock1000
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jeremy Lin out for the season Empty Jeremy Lin out for the season

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 am

Looks like the Brooklyn pick will be near the top again.

Sucks for Lin, and long-suffering Brooklyn fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/10/18/nets-lin-out-season-ruptured-patella-tendon

Site Logo
Brooklyn Nets' Jeremy Lin suffers ruptured patella tendon; expected to miss season

The Associated Press
Oct 19, 2017 8:09 AM ET

The Brookyln Nets may have lost much more than a game to open the 2017-18 season

NEW YORK (AP) -- Brooklyn Nets guard Jeremy Lin is expected to miss the rest of the season because of a ruptured patella tendon of the right knee. Lin was hurt midway through the fourth quarter of the Nets' 140-131 loss at Indiana on Wednesday in their opener. He landed hard behind the baseline after a drive to the basket and was in tears as he clutched at his knee. The former Harvard guard was hoping for a stronger second season with the Nets. He was limited to just 36 games in 2016-17, mostly because of a left hamstring injury, while Brooklyn finished with the NBA's worst record. "Jeremy worked tremendously hard during the offseason and in training camp and was excited for the prospects of the team this season," general manager Sean Marks said Thursday in a statement. "We feel awful that the injury will cost him the season, however our entire organization will be there to support Jeremy in every way possible throughout his recovery. Jeremy remains an important part of this team and will continue to contribute in a leadership role." Lin scored 18 points before he was hurt while starting alongside fellow point guard D'Angelo Russell, the former No. 2 pick acquired from the Lakers in an offseason trade. Coach Kenny Atkinson had planned to start games with both players, then split the playing time, so he had one of them on the floor as much as possible. "Jeremy worked really hard to get back from injury, so we hope everything's OK," Atkinson said after the game. "You never want to see somebody go down, especially someone who worked so hard to come back." Lin was hurt in the fifth game last season and missed more than a month. He aggravated the injury about two weeks after returning and didn't play again until after the All-Star break. He had come to Brooklyn with a three-year, $36 million deal, returning to the city where he was a breakout star with the New York Knicks during his run of Linsanity in 2012. That lasted just 35 games before a season-ending knee injury.

Copyright ©️ 2017 NBA Media Ventures, LLC. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Accessibility and Closed Caption | Terms of Use | AdChoices

NBA.com is part of Turner Sports Digital, part of the Turner Sports & Entertainment Digital Networ

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. A Time Warner Company.  

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Lin out for the season Empty Re: Jeremy Lin out for the season

Post by dboss Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 am

Lakers loss last night. I watched the game. They look challenged at both ends.

The Nets pick is gone. We used it to get Kyrie so at this point is does not matter where it falls. If we look back and bemoan that pick it puts us right back in the middle of the trading IT, etc. etc.

The only team that matters is the Lakers and where they finish up. I do not see them winning a lot of games.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

dboss wrote:Lakers loss last night.  I watched the game.  They look challenged at both ends.

The Nets pick is gone.  We used it to get Kyrie so at this point is does not matter where it falls.  If we look back and bemoan that pick it puts us right back in the middle of the trading IT, etc. etc.

The only team that matters is the Lakers and where they finish up.  I do not see them winning a lot of games.  

dboss

Yup. That's where I'm at on this as well. Ainge decided that Kyrie can be a long term transcendent player. I'm going to be patient and give them the opportunity to develop. As for the draft, the Lakers are the team I'm watching this year. Next year, there'll be a few to watch (Clippers, Grizzlies, maybe Kings and Sixers)

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am

dboss wrote:Lakers loss last night.  I watched the game.  They look challenged at both ends.

The Nets pick is gone.  We used it to get Kyrie so at this point is does not matter where it falls.  If we look back and bemoan that pick it puts us right back in the middle of the trading IT, etc. etc.

The only team that matters is the Lakers and where they finish up.  I do not see them winning a lot of games.  

dboss

I agree the Brooklyn pick doesn't concern us anymore.

Lakers suck.

I've been saying it since the Lakers wasted the #2 pick on Ingram.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am

fierce wrote:

dboss

Lakers suck.

And they very well may have wasted one on Bell too.

Understand it's only one game but his shot looks rather poor to me. We'll see where he and his team is after 10 games. (0-10) wouldn't upset me in the slightest.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:46 am

beat,

Lakers at 0-10 wouldn't upset me either.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm sure we'll beat the crap out of the Lakers on Nov. 8.
But later, it will be the Suns and Lakers for the NBA Finals of Futility.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 pm

fierce wrote:

dboss

Lakers suck.

Agree...Ingram is getting pushed around out there.  Jaylen at 3 was the better pick from what I have seen.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 am

I tore my petella tendon last summer, ouch.

Nets fans can't get a break, meanwhile that pick is long gone and of no interest to me.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:46 am

The Lakers won’t be starting the season 0-10.
They just beat the Suns.
29/11/9 for Lonzo Ball.
Quite a game for his 2nd game in the NBA.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 am

I disagree with those who say that the Nets record is no longer important to Boston.  The Nets are definitely a factor in the Cs chances for a better pick from the Lakers.

We now want the Nets to be higher than the Lakers to help keep the Lakers pick between the second and fifth pick.  Having the Nets lower than the Lakers only helps to take away one of those picks between #2 and #5.

Last edited by wideclyde on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am

wideclyde wrote:I disagree with those who say that the Nets record is no longer important to Boston.  The Nets are definitely a factor in the Cs chances for a better from the Lakers.

We now want the Nets to be higher than the Lakers to help keep the Lakers pick between the second and fifth pick.  Having the Nets lower than the Lakers only helps to take away one of those picks between #2 and #5.

Nets will win more games than the Lakers because the Nets are in the east.

The Lakers can only beat the Suns in the west.
It's looking like the Lakers are the 2nd worst team in the west.

I think we'll know more after 20 games.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 pm

wideclyde wrote:I disagree with those who say that the Nets record is no longer important to Boston.  The Nets are definitely a factor in the Cs chances for a better from the Lakers.

Clyde there is certainly some validity to your observation.

However the way I see it is that there will be 5 bad teams this year. If the Nets are one of them and the Lakers are one of them that doesn't really change anything. It really does not matter who the 5 bad teams are as long as the Lakers are one of them.

With that in mind it really does not matter what the Nets do record wise. We just do not want the Lakers to be at the bottom which would give them better odds at # 1. As a matter of fact it would not hurt us in the least if the Nets were at the bottom again.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Indirectly it does since that means Cleveland gets a better pick and they are currently between Celtics and 18.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 pm

dboss wrote:

However the way I see it is that there will be 5 bad teams this year.  If the Nets are one of them and the Lakers are one of them that doesn't really change anything.  It really does not matter who the 5 bad teams are as long as the Lakers are one of them.

With that in mind it really does not matter what the Nets do record wise.  We just do not want the Lakers to be at the bottom which would give them better odds at # 1.  As a matter of fact it would not hurt us in the least if the Nets were at the bottom again.

dboss

Dboss, that is not correct. Wideclyde is right, if you do the math, having the Nets below the Lakers at any position in the lottery makes it less likely the pick lands between 2 and 5. Swedeinestonia also makes an excellent point - the better the Nets pick is, the better it will make our main rival in the east. Also, whether anyone likes it or not, people are going to be evaluating "the trade" for the next several years. I know I will - to me, evaluating personnel moves is one of the more interesting aspects of being sports fan, even if my team doesn't always win the trade. If Cleveland gets a transformational player, that will obviously hurt the Celtics on the court, but it will also hurt them off the court. It's never good to be the big loser in a trade - it can affect how an organized is viewed from both within and without (including potential free agents).

Last edited by Shamrock1000 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

tjmakz wrote:The Lakers won’t be starting the season 0-10.
They just beat the Suns.
29/11/9 for Lonzo Ball.

Congratulations TJ. That is a great stat line for a rookie's second game ever. And they won the game. Lonzo actually seems like a good kid, it's too bad people want to dislike him because of his loud-mouthed old man.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:44 pm

People do want to dislike Lonzo because of his dad.
Lonzo is a good and humble young man. Unlike his dad.
In game 1 Beverly played Lonzo very hard and physical.
Beverly said after the game he played physical against Lonzo to help him. Beverly might be the best on the ball defender in the league. That was definitely a tough but good experience for Lonzo.

LA will beat other Western Conf teams besides Phoenix.
The East will be a race to the bottom.
LA will play hard all year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 pm

tjmakz wrote:People do want to dislike Lonzo because of his dad.
Beverly said after the game he played physical against Lonzo to help him. Beverly might be the best on the ball defender in the league. That was definitely a tough but good experience for Lonzo.

TJ Ball will be fine.  But he balled against a horrible team that play minus defense.  The Lakers defense is also putrid.  They will not win a lot of games if they cannot defend.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:43 pm

tjmakz wrote:People do want to dislike Lonzo because of his dad.

Lonzo really has a good chance of winning ROY. Of course I hope it's Tatum, but Lonzo will be called upon to do more and may put up bigger numbers. Still think Tatum will be a star though - game seems to come easily to him.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 pm

tjmakz wrote:The Lakers won’t be starting the season 0-10.
They just beat the Suns.
29/11/9 for Lonzo Ball.

I watched a little bit of his first game, Beverly certainly gave him a “welcome to the big leagues” harassing defensive effort. I didn’t see his second game.

Based on what I saw of Ball during summer league I think his court vision and passing skills will put him among the very best in the league at least assist wise within a few years. Regardless of how he turns out as a complete player, his court vision alone makes me want to watch Laker games. I think he ended up in a perfect spot being drafted by the Lakers and having Magic Johnson in the front office.

I wish the kid success. (just not too much of it)

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:50 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:
dboss wrote:

However the way I see it is that there will be 5 bad teams this year.  If the Nets are one of them and the Lakers are one of them that doesn't really change anything.  It really does not matter who the 5 bad teams are as long as the Lakers are one of them.

With that in mind it really does not matter what the Nets do record wise.  We just do not want the Lakers to be at the bottom which would give them better odds at # 1.  As a matter of fact it would not hurt us in the least if the Nets were at the bottom again.

dboss

Dboss, that is not correct. Wideclyde is right, if you do the math, having the Nets below the Lakers at any position in the lottery makes it less likely the pick lands between 2 and 5. Swedeinestonia also makes an excellent point - the better the Nets pick is, the better it will make our main rival in the east. Also, whether anyone likes it or not, people are going to be evaluating "the trade" for the next several years. I know I will - to me, evaluating personnel moves is one of the more interesting aspects of being sports fan, even if my team doesn't always win the trade. If Cleveland gets a transformational player, that will obviously hurt the Celtics on the court, but it will also hurt them off the court. It's never good to be the big loser in a trade - it can affect how an organized is viewed from both within and without (including potential free agents).

Rock. The point I was trying to make is that is does not matter who is above or below LAL. The odds do not change We hope to land somewhere between 2-5. If LAL finishes at the very bottom they would have better odds at landing the # 1 pick as would any team that lands at the bottom. Swedes does make a good point about the Nets > Cavs pick could make them better. It would be a good thing if the Nets are further from the bottom with respect to this. I do agree with that.

I do not want to hope for too much. The nets pick is gone. When Danny traded that pick he knew it had a lot of value. Just get us in the top 5 and when the ping pong balls float around, land us between 2-5. My focus is on LAL and where they end up.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:33 pm

dboss wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:
dboss wrote:

dboss

Rock.  The point I was trying to make is that is does not matter who is above or below LAL.  The odds do not change   We hope to land somewhere between 2-5.  If LAL finishes at the very bottom they would have better odds at landing the # 1 pick as would any team that lands at the bottom.  Swedes does make a good point about the Nets > Cavs pick could make them better.    It would be a good thing if the Nets are further from the bottom with respect to this.  I do agree with that.

I do not want to hope for too much.  The nets pick is gone.  When Danny traded that pick he knew it had a lot of value. Just get us in the top 5 and when the ping pong balls float around, land us between 2-5.  My focus is on LAL and where they end up.  

dboss

Ahh - I see, thanks for the clarification Dboss. What I meant is that if any additional team finishes below the lakers, then it decreases the odds that their pick falls between 2 and 5. Many pundits were thinking that the Nets might end up with a better record than the Lakers. Now that Lin is out, they be yet another team with a worse record than the Lakers, thus decreasing the chance of the Laker's pick pick falling between 2 and 5. The fact that the Net's pick will go to our main rival adds insult to injury. Of course there is no way to predict these types of injuries when making trades.....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 am

Nets win against the Hawks and Lakers lose to the Pels.

Even with a more talented roster, the Lakers are going to lose more games than the Nets because they're in the western conference.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am

fierce wrote:Nets win against the Hawks and Lakers lose to the Pels.

Even with a more talented roster, the Lakers are going to lose more games than the Nets because they're in the western conference.

There is a good chance Brooklyn has a better record than the Lakers.
I think Brooklyn is better than 1/2 dozen teams in the East.

The Lakers fought hard last night.
They were down by 21 and were up by 4 with 4:45 left in the game.
Lopez and Bogut sat on the bench during the Lakers run.
Randle guarded Cousins and Kuzma guarded A. Davis during the Lakers comeback.
Kuzma had another very good game.
I think he is the best shooter as a rookie this season.
He's shooting 61% in his first 3 games.
It's a small sample size but he also shot well in the summer league and the pre-season.
Kuzma could be the steal of the draft.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm

tjmakz wrote:
fierce wrote:Nets win against the Hawks and Lakers lose to the Pels.

There is a good chance Brooklyn has a better record than the Lakers.
I think Brooklyn is better than 1/2 dozen teams in the East.

The Lakers fought hard last night.
They were down by 21 and were up by 4 with 4:45 left in the game.
Lopez and Bogut sat on the bench during the Lakers run.
Randle guarded Cousins and Kuzma guarded A. Davis during the Lakers comeback.
Kuzma had another very good game.
I think he is the best shooter as a rookie this season.
He's shooting 61% in his first 3 games.
It's a small sample size but he also shot well in the summer league and the pre-season.
Kuzma could be the steal of the draft.

I agree.
It's looking like Kuzma is the steal of the draft.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next