mrkleen09
bobc33
Sam
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Summer Board Party in Boston Empty Summer Board Party in Boston

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm

We've had a number of requests to hold a board party in Boston. The 15-or-so people who attended last August's party seemed to enjoy it. One advantage of holding it in the summer is that planning can be done well in advance because it's not subject to playoff schedules. (Hopefully, by then, we'll still be euphoric over a recent championship win. Wouldn't that be just great?)

The mechanics of the party are not difficult. A "winning" formula seems to be:

• Party centers on Saturday to facilitate travel plans for out-of-staters without impinging on work schedules
• Party starts with a social gathering (approximately two hours), probably on Boston's Waterfront
• Party continues with dinner (half the fun is deciding on a restaurant)
• An optional early-morning Sunday brunch for those who will still be available
• Traditionally there is no charge for attending the party except to pay as you go (for food, beverages, transportation, lodging, etc.)

At this juncture, I'd like to accomplish three things:

1. Determine whether Saturday, July 31 would be an acceptable date for the main party (with the optional brunch being early on Sunday, August 1). (I picked that date because I know it would work with some people.)

2. Flush out any problems with the above-noted "formula" or suggestions as to how to improve it.

3. Solicit suggestions on a restaurant from those familiar with Boston or its dining spots. Last year's dinner was held at the No Name restaurant, which worked reasonably well after we dealt with the fact that some BDC troll had phoned and canceled our reservation. (I have no idea who it was, but James Bond's favorite cocktail keeps coming to mind.) Some people would like a place reflecting the traditions of Boston. Others are guided by tastes in cuisine. Still others favor a representative neighborhood spot. Some might prefer a sporting environment. About the only aspects that seem inflexible are: (1) summertime in Boston appears the most inviting logistical framework and (2) dinner must be followed by descending on Boston's North End for cannolis (although even those two factors could be changed by popular demand).

An optional addition might involve attending the Red Sox-Tigers game at Fenway Park the preceding Friday evening or Sunday of that weekend (time not yet announced). There's also the ever-popular Duck Tours around Boston in amphibious World War II vehicles that plunge into the Charles river for a finale. Or there are loads of museums, the New England Aquarium, shows, beaches (no oil spills here yet), and numerous other attractions that people might want to take in on their own or as a group.

So this is a plea for people to help plan this party by responding with regard to:

1. Date

2. Schedule of events

3. Restaurant

We'd like to give people a lot of advance notice. So thanks for responding in timely fashion.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Summer Board Party in Boston Empty Re: Summer Board Party in Boston

Post by bobc33 Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 pm

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in, the date works for me, another epicurean delight on a hot summer night. Awesome Sam you da bomb.

I'll respond with more later, just wanted to weigh in with my enthusiasm for hanging with you all again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Bobc,

Gee, what a shock that the original Party Boy is the first to respond. Considering that you can smell a cannoli from as far away as five miles, I'm surprised you didn't weigh in even before my initial post on the party.

We especially need you if we wind up in another North End Festival. For us short guys, you're like our periscope as we bob and weave our way through the merriment.

Glad the date works for you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed May 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Works for me Sam. I live in Boston so let me know if there are things you might need help with.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm in for now...................................

August works good for the most part baseball should be over for the kid too!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Mrkleen,

Looking forward to meeting you. Right how, I'm just looking for help with the three matters I listed: date, events, restaurant. But I greatly appreciate your offer.

The biggest problem with planning these parties (based on experience with at least five now) is getting people to commit to whether they'll attend the dinner. That's the function where we usually need an advance estimate of attendees so we can provide it for the restaurant. We don't require advance deposits because people will be ordering from the menu and some might simply prefer a salad. So our greatest difficulty is the number of people who say they might make and but don't in actuality. At our second party, I vastly overestimated the number of dinner attendees and wound up, in effect, misleading the venue. I don't want to do that again, although they always give a little leeway.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Beat,

I only wish you could bring the entire family.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Sam

We shall try!
Sarah will be the tough one with work but with enough notice she should be able to get a couple days off.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Beat,

Tell Sarah that, if she doesn't show up, I'll take it as a personal insult.

Not really, but it would be great to see her again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Sam,

July 31/August 1 is a go with us Mainiacs. There will be two for the social hour, dinner and Sunday brunch.

Sox game on Friday night sounds good to us as well.

We will stay Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Gyso,

I've been looking up Red Sox tickets. The lowest price I find is on Stub Hub - $60 for bleacher seets. There are lower prices on the Red Sox site (like $30) for SRO tickets, but there's limited availability of them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Sam,

4 seats in a row at $60 each is what I see. There are a lot of seats for a little more. We should see if there is any interest in a game.

We could all try to get seats near each other, for those who are interested. There are a lot of seats open now, so we should get them as soon as possible.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Wed May 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Count me in for dinner, at least. I haven't watched a Sox game from the bleachers in ages, so that sounds like fun, too, depending on ticket availability.

I hear there are some excellent restaurants in the North End. Bob and I went to the Daily Catch on Hanover St. recently prior to a Celtics game: Italian seafood; words cannot describe how yummylicious it was. Unfortunately, there are only five or six tables. so it doesn't lend itself well to groups. The greatest pizza place in the world is Santarpios in East Boston. Reginas in the North End is a distant second, but still excellent and a fun place for a party.

Sad to say, there isn't a decent Chinese restaurant in all of Boston, not to my knowledge, anyway.

spike

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm

So this is a plea for people to help plan this party by responding with
regard to:

1. Date - works for me

2. Schedule of events - I'll be there Saturday probably late afternoon through Sunday morning again (Beat?)

3. Restaurant - I'm game for anything, perhaps another traditional Boston seafood place? I too can vouch for Santarpios pizza and sausage appetizers, last year they handled about 20 of us on a Friday night. It was tight but it worked.

I enjoyed Cafe Vittoria last year for cannolis, espresso and grappa afterwards, did others enjoy that spot? (Sam I'll grow out my afro again so I'll be an even better marker for you vertically challenged people)

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed May 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Bob

Certainly we can attempt to hook up. Not sure if my family would all be going but as we get closer we can firm things up a bit. Hopefully at least Marcus and I can make it.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Sam and all,

We will be staying in Boston on our way home from The Cape on Saturday the 31st so the date is good for me. I'll have my little posse in tow again but hope to be able to spend a little more time with everyone this time.

What about the Legal Seafood there in the harbor-front area by the Marriott Long Wharf? Could they accommodate a large group? If a number of people stay in one of the hotels in that area again it would be a short walk to dinner, and an easy place to catch a cab from to go to the North End.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm

NYCelt wrote:Sam and all,

We will be staying in Boston on our way home from The Cape on Saturday the 31st so the date is good for me. I'll have my little posse in tow again but hope to be able to spend a little more time with everyone this time.

What about the Legal Seafood there in the harbor-front area by the Marriott Long Wharf? Could they accommodate a large group? If a number of people stay in one of the hotels in that area again it would be a short walk to dinner, and an easy place to catch a cab from to go to the North End.

Regards

NYC,

"Little posse?" I'll bet he is a bit taller than when we saw him last summer, and I'll also bet he has a good golf swing.

I like the Legal Seafood idea, last year some of us stayed right next door at that Marriott and it was quite convenient. Very close to Faneuil Hall and the North End, and right next to the Aquarium.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 pm

July 31st works for me and my wife. Any Sox game count me in as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Sam,

Give me a head count and let me see if we can get some cheap $30 right field seats through my source with the Jimmy Fund.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 pm

I'd love to give you a head count for Sox tickets, but I have no idea. You see what I see. Why don't we try this?

• Anybody who definitely wants to attend the Friday night Red Sox game needs to sign up on this thread by Saturday, May 15 and tell us how many tix you want.

• We're not sure of ticket prices, but we'll keep them between $30 and $60.

• It's very likely we won't be able to get more than 4 seats together, but we'll try to get them as close together as possible.

• We'll announce the final price asap, and everyone who wants tix will have to send in a check just for the tix by a date to be determined.

• No refunds; but, if you can't use your ticket, you can certainly pass it on or sell it to someone else.

112288, can you start investigating the Jimmy Fund possibility with a ballpark figure of 8-10? We're not committing at this time, just looking at the feasibility.

I'll start the ball rolling by committing for one ticket. (Mrs. Sam will unfortunately be hostessing on the Cape all weekend long.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 am

Sam, 112288,

I'll keep the ball rolling by committing for two tickets.

I am sorry to hear that Mrs. Sam won't be attending. Not even the Sunday brunch? She will be missed.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 am

Sam,

Sounds Good. Put me down for 2X Txs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 06, 2010 8:45 am

Gyso,

Sunday morning is when our renters leave, and Mrs. Sam will be getting the cottage ready for the new renters who will arrive at 3:00 that afternoon. She's really sorry not to make it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 06, 2010 8:45 am

Sam and all

With everything going on it will be a later commitment to attend if at all. SO as far as the game we'll pass although it would be nice. I'll keep in touch with BobC and if so hook up with him if things look like a go, as having a tour guide is not only a bonus..........it a requirement. Plus there were a couple of places he worked at that he neglected to show Marcus and I.

Plus his new dog wants to know if I really beat up Scout!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 13, 2010 1:12 am

UPDATE ON THE BOSTON PARTY:

So far, it looks like 13-15 people are planning to attend our Boston party:

Sam (1)
Bobc (1)
Mrkleen (1)
Beat (2-4)
gyso (2)
Tyroneshoelaces (1)
NYCelt (3)
112288 (2)

I'm going to keep bumping this thread in hopes of swelling that number considerably. Since the party will be held on July 31, we'll be able to accept (unpaid) reservations until July 28.

As for the Red Sox-Tigers game on the evening of July 30, six have indicated they'd like to attend:

Sam (1)
gyso (2)
Tyroneshoelaces (1)
112288 (2)

Unfortunately, we can take orders for game tickets (which could cost as much as $60 apiece) only through this coming Saturday, May 15, because buying tickets in advance is a tricky first-come first-served business. So, if any of the six listed above wishes to back out, now's the time or you'll be committed for the money; and, if anyone else wants to attend the game, please let us know by this coming Saturday, May 15, how many tickets you want. We may have to request those going to the game to send advance checks to cover the ticket costs. The party itself will be a pay-as-you-eat-and-drink affair.

Here's hoping this party will be a realblockbuster in terms of participation. As time goes by, we'll be announcing more details. But, for now, plan on a social time of something like 5-7 pm and a dinner starting at 7 pm and ending when Bobc finally starts to slow down after a North End cannoli excursion. The optional Sunday brunch will be held as early as we can make it (probably 9 am) to expedite out-of-towners' departures.

And, if anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to post them on this official party thread or send them to me privately via the Private Message feature of the board or to my email address: SlipSamCelt@aol.com.

Thanks, and I hope the Celtics give us lots to celebrate!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next