dboss
swish
mulcogiseng
KyleCleric
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ESPN Cuts Six Celtics, Adds Three To List Of NBA’s 50 Greatest Players - Page 2 Empty Re: ESPN Cuts Six Celtics, Adds Three To List Of NBA’s 50 Greatest Players

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:55 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I`m trying to think where I said Lebron , with his 4 mvps, three times finals mvps, 11 first team all nba honors to Jordan`s 10, first player since Russell to appear in 6 straight finals, 5 time all defensive first team, 1 time defensive player of the year honors and superior rebounding and assist numbers, was better than Jordan. Guess what, I didn`t .God forbid on this forum , where Lebron is the devil incarnate, despite being far more socially active and altruistic than the self - absorbed Jordan. But I digress. I said  think Magic was better. Throw  any numbers out there you want . Magic played against far better competition, the mid-80s Celtics for instance. Come back to me when Jordan switches from point guard, or in his case shooting guard, to center in the  middle of the finals with Parish and McHale patrolling the paint, and totally dominates.

This conversation was happening before you showed up and offered Magic and every reply after you show up isnt directly speaking to you - try and follow along.

My response was to generally comment to KJ (about the conversation I had around Lebron) and to you calling MJ overhyped. I happen to agree that the competition in the NBA was better in the 80s than when Jordan played (and better by far than today), but to say that Magic dominated the Celtics - come on man.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

ESPN Cuts Six Celtics, Adds Three To List Of NBA’s 50 Greatest Players - Page 2 Empty Re: ESPN Cuts Six Celtics, Adds Three To List Of NBA’s 50 Greatest Players

Post by swish Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:I`m trying to think where I said Lebron , with his 4 mvps, three times finals mvps, 11 first team all nba honors to Jordan`s 10, first player since Russell to appear in 6 straight finals, 5 time all defensive first team, 1 time defensive player of the year honors and superior rebounding and assist numbers, was better than Jordan. Guess what, I didn`t .God forbid on this forum , where Lebron is the devil incarnate, despite being far more socially active and altruistic than the self - absorbed Jordan. But I digress. I said  think Magic was better. Throw  any numbers out there you want . Magic played against far better competition, the mid-80s Celtics for instance. Come back to me when Jordan switches from point guard, or in his case shooting guard, to center in the  middle of the finals with Parish and McHale patrolling the paint, and totally dominates.

This conversation was happening before you showed up and offered Magic and every reply after you show up isnt directly speaking to you - try and follow along.

My response was to generally comment to KJ (about the conversation I had around Lebron) and to you calling MJ overhyped.  

I happen to agree that the competition in the NBA was better in the 80s than when Jordan played (and better by far than today), but to say that Magic dominated the Celtics - come on man.

mrkleen09,
Your below statement.
" I happen to agree that the competition in the NBA was better in the 80s than when Jordan played (and better by far than today)"

I don't see how "competition" defines the caliber of play - which I believe to be the issue here. For the most part there seems to be a pattern, at least on this board, that is somewhat partial to the generation that they grew up in. (The good old days perhaps)

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 pm

swish wrote:

I don't see how "competition" defines the caliber of play - which I believe to be the issue here. For the most part there seems to be a pattern, at least on this board, that is somewhat partial to the generation that they grew up in. (The good old days perhaps)

swish

Of course this is all subjective, but in terms of not understanding how better competition = better caliber of play, not sure what to tell you.

To me, its not about the good old days. The 80s was by most objective measures, the best decade of NBA basketball.

The most superstars, more all time greats playing in the 80's than any other decade in NBA history. The 1986-87 season was also known as the "Golden Era" of the NBA. The 1987 NBA season featured up to 20 Hall of Fame players such as Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Akeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Alex English, Patrick Ewing, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars, and Dennis Rodman. You look at the All Star teams in the mid 1980s and you see NO fluff at all.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:39 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
swish wrote:

swish

Of course this is all subjective, but in terms of not understanding how better competition = better caliber of play, not sure what to tell you.

To me, its not about the good old days.  The 80s was by most objective measures, the best decade of NBA basketball.

The most superstars, more all time greats playing in the 80's than any other decade in NBA history. The 1986-87 season was also known as the "Golden Era" of the NBA. The 1987 NBA season featured up to 20 Hall of Fame players such as Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, Charles Barkley, Akeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Alex English, Patrick Ewing, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars, and Dennis Rodman.  You look at the All Star teams in the mid 1980s and you see NO fluff at all.

Your comparing the the 1987 list of HALL OF FAMERS to a non-existent list of hall of famers because none of the current players will be even eligible until 5 years after they retire. But even then the issue of which generation had the superior players is not addressed.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 pm

80's all the way !!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I wonder how some legacies might look if there had never been a star system. Lebron is great, but what if the refs hadn't been in his back pocket? Would he seem as transcendent?

He wasn't the best shooter. James never had to worry about fouling out. If he had gotten called more fairly on bully moves to the rim, I think he drops out of the top ten, perhaps the top 20. I also think Jordan was overrated for the same reason. Many people compare the NBA to professional wrestling.

The two are definitely some of the greatest players, but I think there was a lot of packaging and fluff too distorting the true history.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:80's all the way !!!!

Old/school

Excellent chance that the 80's gang would get croaked by the current crew.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:I wonder how some legacies might look if there had never been a star system. Lebron is great, but what if the refs hadn't been in his back pocket? Would he seem as transcendent?

He wasn't the best shooter. James never had to worry about fouling out. If he had gotten called more fairly on bully moves to the rim, I think he drops out of the top ten, perhaps the top 20. I also think Jordan was overrated for the same reason. Many people compare the NBA to professional wrestling.

The two are definitely some of the greatest players, but I think there was a lot of packaging and fluff too distorting the true history.

Phil

Check out the low foul count that Wilt and Russ were burden with as favorite sons - or was it a case of them just playing smart ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:08 pm

swish wrote:
Phil

Check out the low foul count that Wilt and Russ were burden with as favorite sons - or was it a case of them just playing smart ?

swish

I would be guessing. The game seemed faster back then with a lot of chucking and less fouling in general. Did you notice a change in the league in regards to star calls? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but in my opinion LeBron has gotten away with so much. I started watching around 1980. It seems that David Stern changed basketball from a pure sport to a television event.

I am a purist. I'd like to see no more palming, back to a step and a half before traveling and ref the game as if you don't know who the players are.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:

My response was to generally comment to KJ (about the conversation I had around Lebron) and to you calling MJ overhyped.  I happen to agree that the competition in the NBA was better in the 80s than when Jordan played (and better by far than today), but to say that Magic dominated the Celtics - come on man.[/quote                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I was talking about that particular series when he played center, and yes, he dominated. Sorry if I interrupted a private conversation. I thought everybody was entitled to respond, especially since YOUR  response was  partially to me. My bad. Try to follow along? Getting a little testy are we?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:
swish wrote:
Phil

swish

I would be guessing. The game seemed faster back then with a lot of chucking and less fouling in general. Did you notice a change in the league in regards to star calls? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but in my opinion LeBron has gotten away with so much. I started watching around 1980. It seems that David Stern changed basketball from a pure sport to a television event.

I am a purist. I'd like to see no more palming, back to a step and a half before traveling and ref the game as if you don't know who the players are.

Phil

Nothing wrong with being a purist - but over the years I've come to except the changes that take place in all sports - sort of a keeping up with the times attitude. As far as the foul call officiating - while the game has become much more physical over the decades - the whistle is blown less frequently. Back in the 50's-60's on average about 52 times a game, 80's about 50 times per game, this past year about 40 times a game. When it comes to favorable treatment for super stars - I just wonder if it just might be a case of the stars understanding the importance of their staying in the game. Who knows for sure. In my opinion the take over by Blacks, at the speed positions in the 1980's and continuing right to the present, is one of several major factors that have seen the talent level over the last 35 or so years far outdistance the early years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 am

swish wrote:

Old/school

swish

Have to disagree, but don't know what scenario you have in mind

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:54 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
swish wrote:

Old/school

swish

Have to disagree, but don't know what scenario you have in mind

Just a general response to your 80's all the way - in essence i'm saying the current decade all the way. (My opinion)

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 am

Oh really, you pick your 5 from today.

I'll go with Magic, Jordan, Bird, not sure of the other forward yet, but Kareem in the middle....so how you gonna match that?

Tough call, don't know if I should take McHale, Barkley, Pippen, K Malone or Olajuwon at the 4, but there sure is a lot of talent on my 80's team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 am

swish wrote:
  Phil

Nothing wrong with being a purist - but over the years I've come to except the changes that take place in all sports - sort of a keeping up with the times attitude. As far as the foul call officiating - while the game has become much more physical over the decades - the whistle is blown less frequently. Back in the 50's-60's on average about 52 times a game, 80's about 50 times per game, this past year about 40 times a game. When it comes to favorable treatment for super stars - I just wonder if it just might be a case of the stars understanding the importance of their staying in the game. Who knows for sure. In my opinion the take over by Blacks, at the speed positions in the 1980's and continuing right to the present, is one of several major factors that have seen the talent level over the last 35 or so years far outdistance the early years.  

swish

Thanks for the info. Those games must have gone on forever. I'm with Mike Gorman liking a quick two hour game.

I guess I agree with your take that the players today are bigger, faster and more efficient. Yet it might also be true that the greats of the past could have trained and ate like today's athlete and probably be as good. It is a never ending debate.

It's nice to have Brad Stevens because whatever direction the league is heading, he is competitive and forward thinking. Ainge is on a roll lately with draft picks. Smart is solid. Rozier is exceeding every expectation. He could have a higher ceiling than Marcus Smart? Smart was good for #6. Brown seemed like a crapshoot #3 pick last year, but now he is showing more reason to trust in Danny. Tatum could be the next transcendent player. I know, it could be Ball, Fultz, Simmons or someone no one is expecting. Tatum seems to have the it factor. I think this idea of an "it factor" can transcend eras and trends, and why I respect both sides of this debate.

We're a lot faster than the 1986 and 2008 teams. I guess play it out on video games. Maybe a statistician could simulate some answers. It was tried with boxing. I'm still not sure how Marciano beat Ali.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 am

swish do we go with a starting 5 or can we add 3 subs?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 am

I apologize for starting this mess and there is clearly no way to prove era vs era.

If we played in the soft as a sneaker full of shit, touch foul, kick your leg out and get 3 shots era of today - not so sure.  

But if we are talking about the big boy days of the 80s, I subscribe to Cowens often stated philosophy that the 1986 Celtics would pound the modern day Warriors into a pulp.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 am

Phil Pressey wrote:
swish wrote:
  Phil

swish

Thanks for the info. Those games must have gone on forever. I'm with Mike Gorman liking a quick two hour game.

I guess I agree with your take that the players today are bigger, faster and more efficient. Yet it might also be true that the greats of the past could have trained and ate like today's athlete and probably be as good. It is a never ending debate.

It's nice to have Brad Stevens because whatever direction the league is heading, he is competitive and forward thinking. Ainge is on a roll lately with draft picks. Smart is solid. Rozier is exceeding every expectation. He could have a higher ceiling than Marcus Smart? Smart was good for #6. Brown seemed like a crapshoot #3 pick last year, but now he is showing more reason to trust in Danny. Tatum could be the next transcendent player. I know, it could be Ball, Fultz, Simmons or someone no one is expecting. Tatum seems to have the it factor. I think this idea of an "it factor" can transcend eras and trends, and why I respect both sides of this debate.

We're a lot faster than the 1986 and 2008 teams. I guess play it out on video games. Maybe a statistician could simulate some answers. It was tried with boxing. I'm still not sure how Marciano beat Ali.

In regards to your below statement
"Yet it might also be true that the greats of the past could have trained and ate like today's athlete and probably be as good. It is a never ending debate."

How true Phil. Sort of like saying that if the Wright Brothers had the Technology and materials of the present day they could have built a stealth bomber. They did the best with what they had to work with - a fantastic achievement for sure - the best of their day. It seems to be the history of man-kind - to keep building on the past.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:swish do we go with a starting 5 or can we add 3 subs?

I will pick my team from the 90's on - how about you go with the earlier generations. Top 8 is fine with me.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 am

Swish you should go with present, I'm going with 85-95.

You should go with 07-17, since you said present would croak 80's

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

mrkleen09 wrote:I apologize for starting this mess and there is clearly no way to prove era vs era.

If we played in the soft as a sneaker full of shit, touch foul, kick your leg out and get 3 shots era of today - not so sure.  

But if we are talking about the big boy days of the 80s, I subscribe to Cowens often stated philosophy that the 1986 Celtics would pound the modern day Warriors into a pulp.

Not only would we beat them to a pulp, we would put on a passing clinic.

Gasol does very well against them, can't imagine how easily Bird, McHale, Parish and Walton would dice them up. Draymoynd Green, Zaza and McGee against 4 HoFers, really....??? this would be easy, we can also play uptempo and hit 3's.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:37 am

Swish I would agree with you that present would beat 60's and 70's fairly easily, but 80's no way!! Also a lot of my players from 80's were drafted in 85, so even though they couldn't win until 90's, because of dominance of Bird and Magics Celtics and Lakers, I still feel they are part of that era.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Swish you should go with present, I'm going with 85-95.

You should go with 07-17, since you said present would croak 80's

Stick to the 80's.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:35 pm

All you need to do is look at the 1992 Dream Team vs any Team USA since. Literally no comparison.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 pm

swish wrote:In regards to your below statement
"Yet it might also be true that the greats of the past could have trained and ate like today's athlete and probably be as good. It is a never ending debate."

How true Phil. Sort of like saying that if the Wright Brothers had the Technology and materials of the present day they could have built a stealth bomber. They did the best with what they had to work with - a fantastic achievement for sure - the best of their day. It seems to be the history of man-kind - to keep building on the past.

swish

If Kelly Olynyk could transform his body in one year, I imagine Bird and McHale could have done the same. Gordon Hayward is kind of big. I doubt there was a leap in human evolution within twenty or forty years.

Perhaps Sullinger would have had a better career playing in the 80's.

Now everyone is bulking up while maintaining or increasing speed.

I agree with Cowens that the bigger teams seem to give Golden State the hardest time. A few years back when it became obvious GS was creating distance between themselves and the rest of the league, Memphis seemed to be the only one who could compete against them.

Another issue is money and contracts. Players that know their teammates well understand where to put the ball. It becomes automatic. The Bird era was called the green machine and it came in waves. Only injuries and then tragedy with Bias and possibly Lewis could have stopped that run.

Nowadays in addition to injuries and bad luck is the salary cap. Oklahoma couldn't keep Harden. We couldn't keep Avery.

Who wouldn't have wanted to keep Olynyk? He was inconsistent, but I'd take him over Theis and pretty much every backup we have for bigs. Kelly is gone because of money.

GM's now have to time their players' career arcs to fit team budgets. Did Red have that hurdle?

Maybe we don't want Marcus Smart and Rozier to become too good, too soon? It's crazy to think like this, but it's the new NBA?
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next