Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon

4 posters

Go down

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon Empty Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:13 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/12/boston_celtics_news_marcus_mor_17.html

Boston Celtics news: Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon

Updated Dec 18, 3:50 PM; Posted Dec 18, 3:50 PM

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon Marcus-morris-a26b398d167025b2
Boston Celtics' Marcus Morris during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Los Angeles Lakers in Boston Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)

By Jay King
mjking@masslive.com

Boston Celtics forward Marcus Morris had a PRP injection for his injured left knee but remains on track to return "sooner rather than later," head coach Brad Stevens told reporters Monday night in Indianapolis.

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon 033393c13e6dec0fd6cc5006453fbeb5_normalBoston Celtics

✔️@celtics

[ltr]Brad Stevens say Marcus Morris (knee) had a PRP injection Saturday and is feeling better. “He’ll ramp up basketball in the next couple of days w/ the hope of playing sooner rather than later, on an on-and-off schedule.” #NEBHInjuryReport[/ltr]

2:39 PM - Dec 18, 2017

•  44 Replies

•  4747 Retweets

•  190190 likes

Morris has missed five straight games after aggravating a knee issue that has bothered him since the preseason. Last week, the veteran said he's hoping to return in time for a Christmas Day meeting with his brother Markieff's Washington Wizards -- and potentially one game before that, which would make his target date a Dec. 23 matchup with the Chicago Bulls. 

Morris is not expected to play every game when he returns. The Celtics have been working on a plan to let him alternate playing and resting through the busy part of the team's schedule.

During the forward's absence, bench scoring has been a clear issue. Stevens acknowledged he may need to change some of his rotations when Morris isn't available; the other night, that led to Jayson Tatum and Al Horford playing fourth-quarter minutes with a bench unit. 

Theis nose update

Daniel Theis will play again Monday night with a broken nose, but is expected to miss Wednesday's game against the Miami Heat after having his nose reset. The absence is only expected to last one game. 

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon 033393c13e6dec0fd6cc5006453fbeb5_normalBoston Celtics

✔️@celtics

[ltr]Brad Stevens says Daniel Theis will have his nose reset tomorrow and will miss Wednesday’s game vs. Miami. He should be available to play Thursday in New York. #NEBHInjuryReport[/ltr]

2:34 PM - Dec 18, 2017

•  44 Replies

•  5252 Retweets

•  189189 likes

Theis said this weekend he anticipates wearing a mask for the next 3-5 weeks. 

bob
MY NOTE:  PRP = Platelet Rich Plasma.  It involves taking some of the patient's own blood, concentrating it via centrifuge, and then injecting it into the area that needs healing to speed the recovery.  I'm reading that patients claim to feel improvement 2-6 weeks after receiving their PRP injection, and Morris was already a week or two into recovery so he's not at Square One.  That's that good news.  The bad news is that it is usually used on chronic tendon injuries, like tennis elbow.  I'm not really happy about Morris receiving a treatment used for chronic tendon injuries because that suggests he has experienced, or is susceptible to, chronic tendon injuries.  When he first got here it was said that he was out of shape because he missed camp and that was the problem.  Now it is looking more and more like damaged goods.

He is, by far, the best scorer off our bench, maybe even our only real scorer off the bench that isn't an untried rookie like Nader or Yabby.  It would be bad if he can't stay on the court.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon Empty Re: Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon

Post by Sandpd Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 pm

"The bad news is that it is usually used on chronic tendon injuries, like tennis elbow."

Thinking positively, maybe they are being proactive and are aggressively trying something, an alternative, that might enhance the healing process rather than just sitting back and resting it. The "Take two aspirins and see me in the morning." approach doesn't seem to be showing any progress.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon Empty Re: Marcus Morris has PRP injection, still expected back soon

Post by dboss Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 pm

We have not seen any definitive explanation about what is wrong with the knee. It sounds like it could be a degenerative issue so the PRP injection may promote tissue growth.

If he is going to be out for a while Boston will not cancel any games. My hope is that once he comes back he is able to play and not have any ongoing or more serious issues with the knee.

Not having him in the rotation opens up the door for other guys to play more minutes and contribute. I previously suggested that Daniel Theis and Semi Ojeleye are the likely recipients.

As long as Smart and Rozier hit their shots and play solid defense, the celtics will weather the storm.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 am

I agree with dboss. Celts will survive without him. Bob`s statement that he is our best bench scorer is true, though. Certainly our most consistent. Rozier and, dare I say it, Smart , have shot the ball better lately though, unless my eyes deceive me, which sometimes happens.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down