bobheckler
wide clyde
8 posters

Go down

Smart expected back next week Empty Smart expected back next week

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 am

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Boston Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart is expected to return to game action next week, according to coach Brad Stevens.

While Smart is only starting to ramp up his on-court activity as he works his way back from a left ankle injury, Stevens told reporters in Philadelphia on Wednesday that Smart could be back as early as Sunday's visit from the Portland Trail Blazers. The more likely scenario is a return later in the week as Boston has a four-day break through Thanksgiving before hosting the Chicago Bulls in a Friday matinee.

"I think there is the potential that he could be back as early as early next week," Stevens said. "I, personally, think Sunday would be stretching it. I don’t know that. But then, I think he could be back [on the floor] once we have that four-day break."

Smart suffered a severe ankle sprain and bone bruising after stepping on an opponent's foot earlier this month against the Indiana Pacers. While the injury looked worse and Smart was stretchered off the floor, the team announced that Smart would miss 2-3 weeks, a timeline that pegged him for a return next week.

Smart is traveling with the Celtics on a brief two-game road trip, but is still easing his way back.

"He was able to move and shoot a little [during Tuesday's practice], nothing more than that," Stevens said. "He’s not able to do any of the defensive drills, not able to do 5-on-5, nothing laterally. At least that’s what I’ve been told as of [Wednesday]."

Stevens stressed that the team won't rush Smart's return to either practice or game action.

"He’s not going to play in anything until he’s ready," Stevens said. "If he was ready as early as Sunday, we’d play him. But if he’s not, then it makes sense to have [four] more days."

The Celtics have missed Smart's defensive tenacity in recent games. In five appearances, Smart was averaging 6.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 2.1 steals over 20.4 minutes per game. Boston found success with smaller three-guard lineups that often featured him alongside the starting backcourt of Avery Bradley and Rajon Rondo.

Back to top Go down

Smart expected back next week Empty Re: Smart expected back next week

Post by Sam Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am

It'll be nice to see Marcus get back on the developmental track.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:54 am

Having dealt with several of these high ankle sprains there is no guarantee that Smart will be back next week. And, if he gets cleared to add basketball activities next week he may not be able to go full go for a while still.

Hopefully, he does return quickly. I like this guy and see him as a long time, solid pro player.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:31 pm

It's not often that a player arrives with great defensive ability at multiple positions, major guts and intensity, native leadership skills, and signs of having the potential to improve his offensive game dramatically over time.  Probably never happened before.  Except in 1963.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Wide,

I agree, perhaps what they really mean is light practice.  Since the area has been traumatized and is weak, it is subject to further damage.  I will be satisfied if he comes back in and around Dec. 7th.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Well this is good news.

I think the Celtics missed his defense mostly. He is a rare talent.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Hate to be the ant at the garden party but what does it say about the team when the return of a 6'4" rookie is considered "significant"?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 pm

There's an understandable tendency to be grateful for small favors in a challenging year.  Always nice when a promising rookie comes back after an injury.  No huge deal.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:51 am

bobheckler wrote:Hate to be the ant at the garden party but what does it say about the team when the return of a 6'4" rookie is considered "significant"?

bob

its obvious were not that good

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 pm

"Hate to be the ant at the garden party but what does it say about the team when the return of a 6'4" rookie is considered "significant"?"
Bob, it might mean the rookie is excellent! Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:04 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:"Hate to be the ant at the garden party but what does it say about the team when the return of a 6'4" rookie is considered "significant"?"
Bob, it might mean the rookie is excellent! Hawk

Going with Hawk here.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:04 pm

What it says here is that the Celtics drafted 1 hellava rookie.

Few players come into the NBA and already know how to play defense at his level.

When was the last time that Boston went out and drafted a defensive guard this good?

The difference between points up and points down is razor thin. Smart may help the team get on the + side.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down