Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season

+3
wideclyde
Phil Pressey
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season  Empty Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

https://nesn.com/2018/01/why-mike-gorman-believes-gordon-hayward-will-play-for-celtics-this-season/

Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season 

by Ricky Doyle on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:31AM

Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season  Gordon-hayward

Photo via Bob DeChiara/USA TODAY Sports Images 

Mike Gorman is around the Boston Celtics as much as anyone outside the organization. He’s the voice of the C’s and therefore has his finger on the pulse of the team. 

So perhaps we should listen when he says he believes Gordon Hayward will play this year, even if he’s simply speculating based on what he’s seen recently from the All-Star forward. 

“This is just me talking from hanging around. Nobody’s telling me this, this is just my observation. I think we’re going to see him play before the year is out,” Gorman, the Celtics play-by-play announcer for NBC Sports Boston, said Thursday. “I think it’ll be great if he does because it means he’s recovered fully from his injury. Because you know they’re not going to let him step out on the court if there’s any doubt. 

“Every time I see Gordon, things seem to be better than they were the last time we talked. The boot’s gone, he’s moving around, now he’s taking road trips with us. They hope to take him on the road a lot in March. I just think it’s a possibility. 

“But again, this is just me talking. I don’t have any inside information. I just think he’s gonna play this year.” 

Hayward has been sidelined since suffering a serious leg injury in Boston’s season opener, and there’s still no timetable for his return. The Celtics have been working under the assumption he won’t be available until next season. 

But it’s hard to ignore the steady progress Hayward has made. The All-Star forward was spotted taking some shots this week before the Celtics’ game against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center, and Boston head coach Brad Stevens even said Hayward could start traveling with the team in early March. 

Gorman’s prediction isn’t far-fetched. In fact, it sounds quite reasonable at this point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season  Empty Re: Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season

Post by Phil Pressey Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Gorman must lurk and saw my post. If he's ready, he's ready.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season  Empty Re: Why Mike Gorman Believes Gordon Hayward Will Play For Celtics This Season

Post by wideclyde Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 am

Not a doctor, but info out there suggests that after three months the broken bone is very likely to be pretty well healed already.

Another two months to be sure of the bone is right and then the ligaments, etc are set followed by a month (April) of getting ready to play could possibly have him ready to play in May at least on a part time basis.

At that time, as Phil noted, if he is ready to play he is ready to play. And, if not he will wait till next season.

However, if he is ready by May, what a great end-of-season addition he would be.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Hayward is a seasoned pro. If he is fully healed by the ECF, then why wouldn't he play? People speak of NBA conditioning. At that point, all teams will be hurting. He'd have rust, but he'd still be the freshest player on the court.

It was a gruesome injury, but it seems like Clyde says. As long as it was a clean break without too much ligament damage, those things heal. The timing for a return lines up for right before the playoffs. He turns 28 in March and that's when he'll start traveling with the team. It looks like the Celtics and Hayward are tentatively planning on his return for the playoffs. He's been passing every test in rehab.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Why is all the focus on just the healing and not the rehabbing and mental preparation process?

Hayward taking some shots is nice to see but he's far from being ready for NBA-level competition.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Hayward is a proven veteran in his prime. If he is healed, then all he will have to do is roll out of bed to help the team. He is a natural. He'll only have missed half a year. He's not going to forget how to play.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Hayward is a proven veteran in his prime. If he is healed, then all he will have to do is roll out of bed to help the team. He is a natural. He'll only have missed half a year. He's not going to forget how to play.

Where did I say he forgot how to play?

The mental preparation is him having confidence that his ankle won't be re-injured when he goes up for a rebound or a layup.

Strength training, which is entirely different than a simple healing process, is integral to his ankle's rehab process. He hasn't played full-speed since the injury. That means his stamina isn't going to be up to his normal standards. And playing in a competitive NBA game environment is different than in practice.

Patience.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm

I remember when Tony Allen had knee surgery. After, even though he was fully recovered, he played very tentative. It took a long time to get the confidence back.

Hayward could be the same.

Sometimes the mental fitness trails the physical fitness a bit.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm

k_j_88 wrote:
Phil Pressey wrote:Hayward is a proven veteran in his prime. If he is healed, then all he will have to do is roll out of bed to help the team. He is a natural. He'll only have missed half a year. He's not going to forget how to play.

The mental preparation is him having confidence that his ankle won't be re-injured when he goes up for a rebound or a layup.

Strength training, which is entirely different than a simple healing process, is integral to his ankle's rehab process. He hasn't played full-speed since the injury. That means his stamina isn't going to be up to his normal standards. And playing in a competitive NBA game environment is different than in practice.

Patience.

KJ
KJ you have made some very valid points here.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Gorman is far more often right than wrong. This is one time I hope he's wrong.

As someone who once had a second surgery because of rushing back to play after a first, I'm guessing it's best to wait. And I wasn't playing in anything remotely as demanding as the NBA.

I'm no expert, but that was no minor injury either.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 pm

k_j_88 wrote:

Patience.

KJ

Thanks for the response. That was just part of my argument. That's why it'd be nice for him to get some minutes before the playoffs. My issue is with your angle that no way should he return despite Gorman and Hayward saying it could happen.

He could play 10-15 minutes a game and give a boost to the puncher's chance. It'd be a psychological lift like Willis Reed did for the Knicks. You make it seem he's definitely not coming back. P.J. Brown didn't play big minutes yet was a big factor in winning #17. The C's played Golden State very tight tonight while missing Smart too. I don't understand the wet blanket. Obviously, Gordo won't be completely back until next year, and even then, he might need some time to get back to maxing out on his potential.

Oh, and I'm not going to forget that the injury happened on an unnatural dirty play. Crowder turned 180 degrees and pushed his lower backside into him. LeBron made the hard clean foul and probably didn't see what Jae did. So if Hayward comes back and doesn't do anything too crazy jumping around and no outrageous hard cuts, there shouldn't be a reinjury.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down