Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season

+3
gyso
k_j_88
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season Empty Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 am

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-those-around-celtics-040146922.html

NBA Rumors: Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season

NBC Sports Boston
June 30, 2019, 6:01 AM GMT+2

Gordon Hayward's comeback from a gruesome ankle injury did not go as well as anyone hoped. A preseason set back kept him from playing in 5-on-5 before the start of training camp, leading to a slower start than expected.

As the Celtics struggled to find their identity on the court, Hayward's inconsistencies were amplified. According to Jackie MacMullan, Brad Stevens "force feeding" Hayward to try and get him back to form started some of the chemistry issues that plagued Boston all year.

Hayward got into a groove late in the year as the Celtics geared up for the postseason. Hayward even wrote he thought he was peaking at the right time, and it showed in a strong showing against the Pacers in the first round. But as was the case most of the season, it didn't last, and Hayward practically disappeared in the second round against Milwaukee.

Celtics on the rise (again) with Kemba on the way
Heading into next season, Hayward's role will change as Kyrie Irving and Al Horford are expected to leave. Kemba Walker intends to sign with the Celtics as soon as he's able, and the offense will be centered around Hayward, Walker, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. As Hayward gets farther away from the injury, he has continued to give those around the Celtics confidence in his ability to get back to the All-Star player Boston signed two years ago.

Danny Ainge has expressed his excitement for Hayward next season, while a story from Steve Bulpett highlighted cautious giddiness around the team.  

There is a very good returning core in Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown, and people around the team are cautiously giddy of what Gordon Hayward could be as he gets further away from his horrible injury and plays a crew that hopefully is interested in sharing the ball more. But that still leaves a major need for an experienced big person.

The ceiling of next year's team is not as clear as last season. The level of talent isn't as high, and the hole at the center position still needs to be addressed, but with a better system fit in Walker and the hopeful progression of Brown and Tatum in increased roles, Hayward returning to his old self would make the Celtics a force in the East.

There's no way for us to know if Hayward is fully back, but the conditions seem to be improved for Hayward to find mental and physical consistency on the court for the Celtics.

bob
MY NOTE:  It takes two years, realistically, for a player with an injury as catastrophic as Hayward's was to make a full comeback.  This is that 3rd year, the one after the surgery and physical rehab and then the year of regaining confidence and rhythm.  It's too bad it looks like Horford won't be around for it.  This is what he came to Boston for.  Kemba, instead of Kyrie, and a fully back OG.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season Empty Re: Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 am

Hopefully his play will justify the minutes.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season Empty Re: Those around the Celtics are "cautiously giddy" about Gordon Hayward next season

Post by gyso Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 am

Bob,

When Hayward signed on with Boston, it was to join Horford and IT (not Kyrie) and the kids. Kyrie came later.

So it is "Kemba instead of IT".

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 am

This is probably the best thing that could have happened to Hayward. Never seemed like he was on the same page as Irving. I am thrilled at the reports of his summer workouts
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

When Hayward signed on with Boston, it was to join Horford and IT (not Kyrie) and the kids.  Kyrie came later.

So it is "Kemba instead of IT".

gyso

Gyso,

Good point. In that case he should be even more happy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:41 pm

new reports out of Celtics training facility says Hayward has somehow gained 30 lbs AND is 3" taller now!!

Guess we had our new big man all along!!

Shocked

note to Rosalie and others...this is just a joke and is not meant as a dig at Hayward at all. I hope the reports are spot on and he is back to full playing abilities this coming year.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Pick em:

Either this:

or this:

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Something funnier about it coming from a rusted old tow truck.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 pm

This is the thing all the pundits are missing. If Gordon returns to even 80% of his form from two years ago, he is a better all around player than most of the FA moving around the NBA this off season.

Go out and get a decent center like Enes Kanter to play along with Theis and Robert Williams and let the chips fall where they may.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:45 pm

KDP I know you are "kidding" My bragging days are ahead......I cannot wait.......you will regret you ever teased me!!!

Gyso You know, the best part of those Bird clips is, I can remember them all. I was in a car riding somewhere and could not watch McHale scoring 56, I did watch on replay, just not the same. But I remember Bird telling him to enjoy the record, because he was going to beat him.
Those were great times in basketball.

Here's hoping we have turned a corner and have built a team that likes each other enough for there to be many, many videos of great games
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:This is the thing all the pundits are missing.  If Gordon returns to even 80% of his form from two years ago, he is a better all around player than most of the FA moving around the NBA this off season.

Go out and get a decent center like Enes Kanter to play along with Theis and Robert Williams and let the chips fall where they may.

It's hard to know how much progress he makes in year 3. I'm hopeful for him but I don't want to set my expectations too high.

I also wouldn't have him in the starting lineup.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down