Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando

+4
bobheckler
beat
cowens/oldschool
babyskyhook
8 posters

Go down

Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando Empty Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando

Post by babyskyhook Fri May 14, 2010 5:19 am

Guys (and Rosie):

Congrats to you and to your team for crowning the King in a manner most fitting- bouncing him out on his royal arse. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

As my good friend (lifelong Bulls fan/ Celtics hater) and I were laughing while watching the game, if you'd told us in the '80's or '90's that we'd be cheering for the Cs at any point in our lives, we'd have said you're crazy.

But times change, and I have come to realize over the years that I don't really hate teams that much. I hate individual players (and how the media salivates over certain players). And I really can't stand LBJ. And I hate Varejao.

And I simply don't hate the Cs any more. I'm no fan, but I respect their players, the organization and it's management (including Doc). And by getting to know you guys on this board, I respect the Celtics fans. You guys represent your team well.

When the Cs beat the Lakers in '08, I was heartbroken of course, but not bitter. I have always had immense respect for KG and Pierce- for how hard they competed and how well they played even when they were on absolutely horrific teams. Those guys had earned my respect and I was happy for them to win rings, as they deserved it.

LBJ, however, the self-proclaimed "King", with a full horde of media nut-huggers like Henry Abbot and John Hollinger stroking him at every possible turn, has done nothing to engender my respect, and i fact keeps doing things that make me respect him less and less. (Although the handshakes and post-game presser last night were at least a small step in the right direction.)

So let me thank the Cs and their fans for serving a little old school justice on an over-hyped media sensation who is a great regular season player but who hasn't accomplished anything of meaning in the NBA in my eyes to this point. Maybe he'll someday win a title, but the media declaring him the greatest without his ever having won anything meaningful galls me to no end.

I called the Cs over the Cavs in 6, along with a number of people on this board, while the media was all Cavs all the time (except Mashburn).

Abbot (Cavs in 4) and Hollinger (CAvs in 5) were of course the worst. Between their endless jock-sniffing and stat-geek roto-boy obsession with numbers, it's clear these guys never played the game and don't truly understand it. Because their little numerical formulas don't take into account heart, desire, mental strength and the will to win. And the ability to deliver in the clutch. on the biggest stage. Those guys just don't get it.

And guess what ? They're all going to be on the Magic's jock tomorrow morning. (Although Mash and the Little General both picked Cs over the MAgic, I think they'll be the exception to the rule.)

Yep- get ready for the vast majority of the "experts" to pick the Magic. I'm sure Hollinger will have them i 4 or 5 again.

But remember how the media was swooning over the Cavs last year after their 8-0 start in the playoffs where they beat up on two bad teams ?

That's exactly what's happening this year with all the fawning over the Magic. They ignore the fact that matchups are so important in the playoffs.

And the Cs match up very, very well vs the Magic. Just like they did vs the Cavs.

The Cs are one of the few teams that can defend D12 straight up. Perkins gives him fits, as he can't overpower Perk. And Wallace had Howard's number when he was in Detroit. I think Wallace's defense on Howard was one of the main reasons they got him.

Without Howard drawing double teams, the MAgic offense will come to a grinding halt.

With Rondo keeping Jameer under control, KG mobile and long enough to cause big problems for Lewis, who's going to carry the Magic ?

Vince ? No way. Ray is a pretty solid defender at this point, and he'll keep Vince in check. Plus Vince is totally soft and an absolute choke artist who's never come up big when it matters.

That leaves Matt BArnes to score on Paul Pierce ? He'll get some baskets, but that's not a winning formula.

On top of that, the Cs are mentally tough, playoff tested and just plain mean. (Perk, KG, Rondo, esp.)

The Magic don't have the same level of mental toughness, and they're basically a bunch of nice guys, except Barnes. But having a rail-thin tough guy doesn't help much if he's the only one. And you need a mean streak in your team to win a title. The Lakers found that out the hard way in '08.

Last year, the Magic had some success (although it took 7 games) against an out of gas Cs team with no KG and a less-polished Rondo, but they're not going to be able to beat them this year, even though most of the "experts" will pick Orlando.

I picked the Cs to beat Cleveland in 6 for similar reasons- mental toughness and veteran leadership.

Cs in 6.

See you in the Finals fellas.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando Empty Re: Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 7:53 am

bsh,

You did a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking in this post.
It's easy to be critical now of people who picked the Cavs in 5 or 6.

I don't think anybody expected Boston to play this well and Cleveland to play so poorly. Even when Cleveland lost to Orlando in last years playoffs, LeBron had a historic series. His fall has been very surprising/shocking. Boston finished the year terribly and I don't think anyone could gauge how well the Celtics were playing based on them beating Wade and the clowns in 5 games. In the West, Miami is not even close to a playoff team.

Boston proved that they can again play at the level of when they did during their 23-5 run, not the 27-27 stretch. They deserve a ton of credit for working their way back.

I agree with you about C's in 6 over Orlando.

Back to top Go down

Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando Empty Re: Congrats (and thanks) on the win- and I'm calling my shot vs Orlando

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 am

Wow two Lakers fans on a Celtic board,glad you guys enjoyed a great series,you guys along with Mustang Gator add alot to this board.

My unsung hero was Tony Allen,the way he worked for 2-3 years to get his legs back and the impact that his defense provided was just huge,imagine if he had a jump shot?How many players can hound and lock down at 3 positions?

We played classic team ball,unselfish to a fault,our defense was riveting,KG 's got his legs back as well,hes gotten stronger and stronger as the playoffs have gone longer,beautiful to see.Perk is a Beast,gotta love his hardnosed constant D.

We won with Ray and Pierce off offensively,that was all on the defense,how many teams have an anchor like Perk down low,a constant speed harasser like Rondo on perimeter,a HoF PF defender like KG,now add the hound dog TA off the bench,thats 4 hellacious defenders we can put on the floor at same time and Pierce and Sheed can play some D too.

Looking forward to next series.......Go Celtics!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am

Cow

Ditto on Tony Allen.

PP still looks a bit (way bit off) on the offensive end. Seemed to do better off the ball than with it. We really need things to run thru Rondo virtually all the time. If PP can get open RR will find him.

Looking for a game 1 win in Orlando!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 14, 2010 1:03 pm

I think it could be Rondo, KG and Tony Allen that does it for us.

Perk will handle Howard about as well as anybody not named Tony Stark can.

I think their wingers, Pietrus and Barnes, will defend well against Ray and Paul. They don't need to score a lot, they just need to take some of the steam out of Ray and Paul. Furthermore, they are more athletic and faster than Cleveland.

This will leave Rondo to do unto Nelson what he has done to everybody else these playoffs and for KG to continue to outplay everybody they've thrown at him. This time, that means, Rashard Lewis. This will bring KG far away from the hoop and will make perimeter defense an absolute essential if we are to win. Last year, they high screened us to death. We cannot allow that to happen this year. Of course, last year we were without KG, Leon, Scal and we were running on fumes because of the OT games in Chicago. On offense, he won't be able to shoot over Lewis with ease, like he did with Jamison, but he should still try to get fouls on Lewis. Take him out of the game and, without Turkoglu to provide another outside shooting forward, KG will be able to run wild. Tony Allen is feeling it. His confidence is full blown. If he plays defense on VC like he has played on DWade and on LBJ, Vince is going to have some sub par games and if Perk can handle Howard, Orlando will be running out of options.

bob

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

BSK,

I feel the same way regarding the Lakers. Having been associated with guys like you, Mustang and TJ has sort of rounded out my rather long experience as a Celtics fan (61 years now). I have learned that rather blind and complete antipathy for the opponent doesn't really add to my enjoyment of the game. In fact, freedom from the sort of teeth-grinding preoccupation I used to have actually makes me a more focused Celtics fan.

I can't confess to liking the Lakers any more than you like the Celtics. But I've learned a lot about them (including the triangle) because of guys like you; and I have much more respect for them than I used to. I'm definitely rooting for them against Phoenix, not because I think the Lakers would be easier to beat than Phoenix (not at all), but simply because I hope to see the Celtics facing the best in the finals. A long time ago, I came to grips with the facts that I always had admiration for Jerry West and I enjoyed watching the Lakers' uptempo style of play more than the Celtics' power style of play in the 80s. (Of course, those realizations had absolutely no bearing on my allegiance.)

So good luck to the Lakers in the semis; and let's see what happens

Best,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Fri May 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Sky,

Thanks for the congrats and analysis. BTW Last night after KG had a couple of rebounds and a put back to get the lead back to 9 I heard a voice in my head say "It's in the refrigerator, the butter's gettin' hard!!!" Does that ring a bell?

Good luck to your boys in the West finals. Hope to see the best rivalry in sports renewed.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri May 14, 2010 2:31 pm

cheers sky...hope we both make it through. It would be great for the game.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 pm

BSH,
Thanks. Good post. Just take it easy a bit on Hollinger et al. He's just selling snake oil trying to earn for bread and butter. He and other experts are like weathermen: trying to predict the unpredictable and being paid for being wrong most of the time.
This win is sweet considering what a nice kick in the arse the king nothing received. I'm just sorry for Cavs' fans who are in receipt of huge steaming pile of sht courtesy LJ.
Now forward to kingdom of Magic. Funny - from king to kingdom; and I thought this country is republic Very Happy

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat May 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Sam- well put. I feel the same way.

Guys- Thanks for the good thoughts and good luck vs the Magic.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down