Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon

3 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon Empty Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 pm

jaylen_brown_recalls_recovery_from_scary_concussion_aims_to_play_soon

Knows fall could’ve been worse

Mark Murphy Thursday, March 22, 2018

PORTLAND, Ore. — Symptoms like headaches and dizziness have faded in and out, and when Jaylen Brown relates the process of his recovery from a concussion to coaches and teammates, it’s with a wrenching comparison.

“You just take a fall like that at that speed, he said multiple times it felt like he was in a car crash,” Brad Stevens said yesterday.

Though he hasn’t engaged in full contact yet — no post-ups or bumping against rookie Guerschon Yabusele, Brown said with a smile yesterday — he has ramped up activity as the forward prepares to step out of concussion protocol, including yesterday’s practice at the Moda Center.

“Target was Friday, but we’ll see,” he said of tonight’s game against Portland. “I think the more likely thing would be Sacramento.”

The Celtics play the Kings on Sunday, and Brown’s return would be a major addition to a team also playing without Marcus Smart, Kyrie Irving, Daniel Theis and, since opening night, Gordon Hayward.

And as excited as he is to return to the floor, Brown is also relieved that the result of his crash landing following a dunk on March 8 in Minnesota wasn’t worse.

As for what he remembers, there is a gap between when his fingers slipped off the rim and when he looked up to see a lot of concerned faces staring back.

“I remember waking up and there’s a bunch of people. I remember slipping off the rim and then there were a bunch of people standing around me. I was like, what the hell is going on,” he said. “I had been out for 30 seconds or whatever, and then I tried to get up and everyone was like, whoa, whoa. I’m like, what’s the big deal. That’s all I remember.”

The most encouraging sign for everyone who watched was the sight of Brown getting to his feet, declining a ride on a stretcher, and walking back to the locker room.

“Could have been worse, to be honest — just a blessing that I didn’t need a stretcher or anything to walk off the floor with,” said Brown. “Scary because people were tweeting and everything, and it’s just a scary situation for me because you never want to be in a situation where people are saying they’re praying for you, or anything like that.

“When I was unconscious, completely knocked out, I remember people were saying we’re going to get a stretcher, and something came over me and I just got right up.”

Brown has watched the video, which only bolsters his sense of relief.

“I watched it and it could have been a lot worse. Doctors said that nine out of 10 people are getting crucially injured,” he said. “As fast as I was going, the impact, the height I fell from, it’s like I slipped off the rim at the worst possible time because all the momentum was going forward, and I fell right on my neck and my back.

“Going forward I want to be a little more careful and come back for the rest of the season and the rest of the year. Looking forward to getting back on the floor.”

Though his concussion symptoms have occasionally flared up, Brown said his condition has steadily improved.

“Little bit of both — got better but also came back as well,” he said of the symptoms. “The more I tried to increase my workouts and do things, some of the symptoms came back, but overall I tried to get better each day. I’m looking forward to getting back on the floor, whenever that is, because I’m tired of sitting at home.

“I’m able to work out, able to do some light contact stuff. As the days go by and I progress the level of contact, I’m able to take things like that,” he said. “I’m working with the coaching staff and getting ready to get back to full contact.”

Asked if he had any anxiety about going up for his next dunk, Brown smiled.

“My mom definitely said no more dunking,” he said. “I haven’t gone up for a dunk since, but we’ll see.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon Empty Re: Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon

Post by steve3344 Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 am

bobheckler wrote:jaylen_brown_recalls_recovery_from_scary_concussion_aims_to_play_soon

Knows fall could’ve been worse

Mark Murphy Thursday, March 22, 2018

PORTLAND, Ore. — Symptoms like headaches and dizziness have faded in and out, and when Jaylen Brown relates the process of his recovery from a concussion to coaches and teammates, it’s with a wrenching comparison.

“You just take a fall like that at that speed, he said multiple times it felt like he was in a car crash,” Brad Stevens said yesterday.

Though he hasn’t engaged in full contact yet — no post-ups or bumping against rookie Guerschon Yabusele, Brown said with a smile yesterday — he has ramped up activity as the forward prepares to step out of concussion protocol, including yesterday’s practice at the Moda Center.

“Target was Friday, but we’ll see,” he said of tonight’s game against Portland. “I think the more likely thing would be Sacramento.”

The Celtics play the Kings on Sunday, and Brown’s return would be a major addition to a team also playing without Marcus Smart, Kyrie Irving, Daniel Theis and, since opening night, Gordon Hayward.

And as excited as he is to return to the floor, Brown is also relieved that the result of his crash landing following a dunk on March 8 in Minnesota wasn’t worse.

As for what he remembers, there is a gap between when his fingers slipped off the rim and when he looked up to see a lot of concerned faces staring back.

“I remember waking up and there’s a bunch of people. I remember slipping off the rim and then there were a bunch of people standing around me. I was like, what the hell is going on,” he said. “I had been out for 30 seconds or whatever, and then I tried to get up and everyone was like, whoa, whoa. I’m like, what’s the big deal. That’s all I remember.”

The most encouraging sign for everyone who watched was the sight of Brown getting to his feet, declining a ride on a stretcher, and walking back to the locker room.

“Could have been worse, to be honest — just a blessing that I didn’t need a stretcher or anything to walk off the floor with,” said Brown. “Scary because people were tweeting and everything, and it’s just a scary situation for me because you never want to be in a situation where people are saying they’re praying for you, or anything like that.

“When I was unconscious, completely knocked out, I remember people were saying we’re going to get a stretcher, and something came over me and I just got right up.”

Brown has watched the video, which only bolsters his sense of relief.

“I watched it and it could have been a lot worse. Doctors said that nine out of 10 people are getting crucially injured,” he said. “As fast as I was going, the impact, the height I fell from, it’s like I slipped off the rim at the worst possible time because all the momentum was going forward, and I fell right on my neck and my back.

“Going forward I want to be a little more careful and come back for the rest of the season and the rest of the year. Looking forward to getting back on the floor.”

Though his concussion symptoms have occasionally flared up, Brown said his condition has steadily improved.

“Little bit of both — got better but also came back as well,” he said of the symptoms. “The more I tried to increase my workouts and do things, some of the symptoms came back, but overall I tried to get better each day. I’m looking forward to getting back on the floor, whenever that is, because I’m tired of sitting at home.

“I’m able to work out, able to do some light contact stuff. As the days go by and I progress the level of contact, I’m able to take things like that,” he said. “I’m working with the coaching staff and getting ready to get back to full contact.”

Asked if he had any anxiety about going up for his next dunk, Brown smiled.

“My mom definitely said no more dunking,” he said. “I haven’t gone up for a dunk since, but we’ll see.”

bob

“My mom definitely said no more dunking."

I'm guessing he will disobey his mom.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon Empty Re: Jaylen Brown recalls recovery from scary concussion, aims to play soon

Post by wideclyde Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 am

jaylen Brown is very lucky that much more serious injuries did not happen with this fall, and that is not to say that a concussion is not serious.

He should take whatever time is necessary to get better.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down