“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic

+3
cowens/oldschool
dboss
Ktron
7 posters

Go down

“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Empty “Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic

Post by Ktron Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:52 am

https://nesn.com/2023/08/jaylen-brown-to-play-in-big3-all-star-game-with-former-celtics/

Jaylen Brown is taking his talents to the BIG3. Well, only for one game.

It was announced Friday night that the Boston Celtics star will suit up in the BIG3 All-Star Game on Saturday in London, per The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn. The BIG3 is a 3-on-3 basketball league founded by rapper and actor Ice Cube, who is friendly with Brown.

The game won’t just be a tune-up for Brown before an all-important Celtics season. There’s also a charitable component to Brown’s participation as he will play for the London Youth charity, which aims to improve the lives of young people in the city in England.

Brown said he wanted to take on more philanthropic efforts and initiatives in Boston after he signed a massive five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension in late July. And he obviously has now taken his charitable endeavors abroad. The BIG3 plans to match Brown’s donation to London Youth, according to Sports Illustrated’s Bobby Krivitsky.

Brown certainly will be the biggest name on the floor at the exhibition contest that also features plenty of former NBA players, including a couple who once donned the Celtics jersey.

Gerald Green, who the Celtics drafted 18th overall in the 2005 NBA Draft, and Leandro Barbosa, who played a lone season with Boston during the 2012-13 campaign, will also play alongside Brown in the All-Star Game.

Wonder how Adam Silver feels about this.
He’s been trying to destroy the BIG3 ever since its inception.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Empty Re: “Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic

Post by dboss Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:55 am

While growing up in Boston I mostly played 3 on 3 basketball.  I guess you could say that 3 on 3 basketball in in my DNA.

I think it is a significant decision by JB to participate in a tournament over in London that will raise money for youth programs.

Adam Silver is standing on the wrong side of history.

He has refused to get rid of a bylaw that would allow owners of NBA teams to invest in Big 3 basketball.

ktron you recently posted something about the Saudis investing in the NBA or launching a new league, or something to that effect.  Please correct me if I am wrong about the details.

I can see a situation where the Saudis invest in big 3 basketball.  Silver may want to rethink his position.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Empty Re: “Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:27 am

dboss wrote:While growing up in Boston I mostly played 3 on 3 basketball.  I guess you could say that 3 on 3 basketball in in my DNA.

I think it is a significant decision by JB to participate in a tournament over in London that will raise money for youth programs.

He has refused to get rid of a bylaw that would allow owners of NBA teams to invest in Big 3 basketball.

ktron you recently posted something about the Saudis investing in the NBA or launching a new league, or something to that effect.  Please correct me if I am wrong about the details.

I can see a situation where the Saudis invest in big 3 basketball.  Silver may want to rethink his position.

I disagree, let some other owners get their feet wet and get established, the owners already in the NBA have a charmed enough life, they don’t need a monopoly on everything. Do we really need the Steinbrenner’s, Kraft, Irsay, etc in on everything?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:29 am

dboss wrote:While growing up in Boston I mostly played 3 on 3 basketball.  I guess you could say that 3 on 3 basketball in in my DNA.

Dboss,

The big dog always gets to eat.  The Saudis started that new golf league, LIV Golf.  They recruited a few name players by throwing tons of money at them, made a play for some more, and played on non-PGA sanctioned courses (e.g. Trump Bedminster and Trump Loral) with those few PGA pros they lured over, and filled out the field with a bunch of wannabes.

What happened then?  

The PGA bought them.  End of competition, end of threat.  The PGA gave LIV a chance to fail on their own and, when LIV failed to accommodate them that way, they bought them.  That's what happened with the ABA. The NBA gave them a chance to fail on their own and, when they didn't (in large part due to Julius Erving, but also others like Gervin) the NBA suggested a merger. The struggling ABA snapped at the offer with the financially weak franchises who couldn't pay the NBA's exorbitant demands folding.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Saudis look to repeat that strategy with Big 3.  In the end, however, I predict the global prestige and money of the NBA with its TV contracts will prevail against any and all spoilers.  The question is "do they wait and see if Big 3 withers on the vine on its own, or do they pay more to eliminate them after they get a cash and marketing infusion from external forces?".  One problem Big 3 has that LIV didn't have is that the NBA has the G-League to tout as "real basketball, that actually has players who do make it to the NBA (e.g. Sam Hauser)" and there was no minor league golf league for the PGA to use as a direct competitor to LIV.  LIV played real golf, on real courses.  Big 3 is schoolyard ball, albeit with some NBA players who are too old or whatever to play in the NBA anymore, but it's not full court big-time hoops.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:04 pm

Big 3 basketball is not there to compete against the NBA.

When it was first introduced a few years ago it seemed more like a gimmick but it has grown in popularity and it has reached a point where more investment is needed for the league to survive.

I do not think that it is right for the NBA under the leadership of Adam Silver to prevent investment from NBA owners.    Big3 basketball has a viable business model.  Disparaging it seems very short sighted.

I am not looking to compare apples with oranges as it relates to the potential for Saudis investments.  However the Saudis could be a source for investment into big 3 basketball.

ABA failed because of the NBA and the television monopoly and collusion that was taking place.  While that was going on basketball fans did not get a chance to watch some of the greatest and most talented players of that generation.  It was shameful.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:42 pm

Dboss,
I did post a piece about the Saudis being interested in James Harden. I don't know if thats one hundred percent valid.
Ive read other articles indicating that the Saudis are interested in professional Basketball.
I think it’s a very distinct possibility that it could eventually happen.

The BIG3 went to Adam Silver and the NBA first and proposed a partnership and were turned down.
The NBA led by Silver have tried to roadblock the BIG3 on many levels. Pressuring potential sponsors and as you said, not allowing NBA owners to get involved.

The Rick Mahorns, Lisa Leslies, Michael Cooper’s and Rick Barry’s are not being hired as coaches in the NBA. Who knows if they’d make great coaches in the NBA? There is only one way to find out and it hasn't happened so they're involved with the BIG3.
You’re right. Adam Silver and numerous team owners are standing on the wrong side history.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 pm

The Saudis and anybody who caters to them are standing on the wrong side of history. Kashoggi. Public beheadings. Women as property. How soon Americans forget. Money talks I guess.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:03 pm

I don’t know what public beheadings, women as property etc has to do with basketball but after I comb through what type of investments the NBA owners have in their portfolio, an offline discussion may be worthwhile.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:30 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:The Saudis and anybody who caters to them are standing on the wrong side of history.  Kashoggi. Public beheadings. Women as property. How soon Americans forget. Money talks I guess.

Wow really?

I did not realize that anyone's conception would come down to the NBA (Silver) vs the Saudis.

I am going with guess... who .. The NBA, as I despise the Saudis and pretty much everything that they stand for I stand against.

However this is not about the Saudis. Is it remotely possible that the issue of supporting big 3 basketball can generate a worthy response instead of some damn obtuse comment?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:08 pm

“NOW!(as one of my radio idols used to say..)

Back to the countdown”…

“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Img_4317
“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Img_4318

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:53 pm

Ktron wrote:“NOW!(as one of my radio idols used to say..)

Back to the countdown”…

“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Img_4317
“Bean Town Jaylen Brown” To Play In BIG3 All-Star Game With Former Celtic Img_4318
Nice...
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:23 pm

Yeah really. Last I heard, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including me.I didn't bring up the Saudis.  Others did. Nor did I say anything negative  about the Big Three. I have strong feelings about the Saudis. I am also opposed to the LIV golf tour. I don't want to get into a long political dscussion or throw insults back and forth, so I 'll just say this. The " wow really" snark was unneccessary.It's a discussion board and I made a comment, which I stand by. ---Really. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of my participation, unless somebody wants to call me out again.I didn't come on this board to mock other people's opinions. That's somebody else's job. Peace out.

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:46 am

Am Imissing something? When did the Saudis offer to buy Big3 bball?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:15 am

It looks like disrespect for another member's opinion may have directly led to this board losing a second long-time member within one week.  Again, it is the same offenders who are not acting convivial.

People can go anywhere on the internet and interact with trolls, so why would anyone come here if that is what they get when they try to join a conversation?

If you cannot interact with other members here without showing anger and outrage at another person's opinion, this place is not for you.  Please take it somewhere else.  

Pretty soon, this board will just be two guys shouting at each other in the dark, the same way DSlack's board devolved in its sad end.

My advice:  Embrace conviviality, and don't be a dink.

Last edited by gyso on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added punctuation, etc.)

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:59 pm

Jr...you are to valuable and smart a contributor to lose. Most of us here really appreciate you. Please stay.
Worcester
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 pm

worcester wrote:Am Imissing something? When did the Saudis offer to buy Big3 bball?

Worcester, The Saudi’s did not buy the Big3 or offer to as far as I know.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:07 pm

Thanks guys. I just took a little break. Looking at my last comment, I can see where I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I was leaving that conversation, not the board. This place is too muh fun and I feel like I've made a number of friends I have never met and may never meet. I consider y'all frieds anyway. I got a little hot, but I aint mad at anybody.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down