Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump?

+6
swish
beat
gyso
dboss
kdp59
steve3344
10 posters

Go down

Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump? Empty Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump?

Post by steve3344 Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:08 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rumor-lebron-james-leave-cavaliers-213045509.html

If he does, I just hope he doesn't go to the Sixers. That would be a scary team for the next few years. They will be even without him.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump? Empty Re: Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump?

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 am

more and more talk about the King heading to the Sixers now and I think it's a REAL chance it happens.

Philly has quietly slid into 4th place in the east and is nipping the Cavls heels for 3rd.

they have the cap space next year to bring in LeBron at $30M with no issues (except renouncing Redick and Amir).

And guess what I just read an article about Redick saying that he dreams of chasing a title before he retires. Anyone NOT think he'll play for vet minimum to play with LeBron?

I think is is going t happen unless the Cav's somehow win it all this year ( I think they will win the east playoffs baring injuries Myself).

so waiting for next year, may become even more of a problem for the Celtics IF this happens.

Philly will be set to be atop of the East for 3-4 years with James there.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump? Empty Re: Lebron to leave the Cavs because of Trump?

Post by dboss Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 am

Philly is just about rebuilt with the exception of adding a high profile free agent.  Lebron would be an interesting move.

However the LAL may also be attractive especially if Paul George also signs.

The problem with Lebron going to Philly is Ben Simmons.  As we all know Ben runs the point but he is ineffective off the ball because he does not have an outside shot.  

The other thing that may take him out west are his business interests in LA.

In either case the Celtics will not be looking up to any team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 am

I don't necessarily believe the "don't like the owner, won't play for the team" mentality.

Plenty of players signed contracts with the Clippers when it was openly known that the owner had racist tendencies.

Self interest (money and legacy) and chances of playoff success will drive his next Decision.  If they get to the finals, he will probably stay.  If he leaves Cleveland again, the fans will burn his uniforms (again) and any chance of lifetime hero worship from that city is over forever.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am

Aren’t all NBA teams except  Toronto in the US?

Another reason I don’t care for  Bron.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:11 pm

gyso wrote:I don't necessarily believe the "don't like the owner, won't play for the team" mentality.

Plenty of players signed contracts with the Clippers when it was openly known that the owner had racist tendencies.

Self interest (money and legacy) and chances of playoff success will drive his next Decision.  If they get to the finals, he will probably stay.  If he leaves Cleveland again, the fans will burn his uniforms (again) and any chance of lifetime hero worship from that city is over forever.

gyso
gyso 

Maybe Lebron will cynically use the issue with the owner narrative to walk.  

He will seek to find a reason to leave.  One that will reduce the level of scorn he will surely endure.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Of course players act in their own selfish interest - just like the fans do when they rejoice over the signing of a free agent while the fans that lose the player see it from a different point of view - it's the very nature of the game. Your on the winning side sometimes - sometimes it's the losing side. I suspect that Lebron will be thinking of his own personable interest first - as will the fans.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:34 pm

LeBron wants to chase Jordan's championship totals.

Philly will give him the best option to do that over his final 3-5 years..more so than Cleveland or the Lakers, IMO.

GS, Houston, Boston, Toronto...none of those teams have the cap space to bring the King on board.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:08 pm

kdp59 wrote:LeBron wants to chase Jordan's championship totals.

Philly will give him the best option to do that over his final 3-5 years..more so than Cleveland or the Lakers, IMO.

GS, Houston, Boston, Toronto...none of those teams have the cap space to bring the King on board.

Nice succinct analysis KDP. Philly is becoming scary pretty fast. Even if you hate tanking, Hinkie deserves some credit for exploiting the system that was available to him.

What do you think about the argument that Lebron on Philly would minimize the impact of Simmons? Since Simmons greatest asset is vision and passing, coupled with the fact that he can't shoot, one has to wonder if his worth can be realized on a team where Lebron is the playmaker/decision maker. Same argument minimizes the potential impact of Fultz, though to a lesser degree. Is it possible that Lebron sees this and is willing to play a different role in Philly, i.e. one where he has the ball less often? If he is, then would that minimize Lebron's value?

All that being said, Philly is beginning to scare me. They are becoming good faster than anyone expected.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 pm

swish wrote:Of course players act in their own selfish interest - just like the fans do when they rejoice over the signing of a free agent while the fans that lose the player see it from a different point of view - it's the very nature of the game. Your on the winning side sometimes - sometimes it's the losing side. I suspect that Lebron will be thinking of his own  personable interest first - as will the fans.

swish
+1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:56 pm

beat wrote:Aren’t all NBA teams except  Toronto in the US?

Another reason I don’t care for  Bron.

beat
 I  don`t get your drift . Are you suggesting that Lebron isn`t entitled to leave in free agency for whatever reasons he wants to, including political ones?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Simmons can't shoot 3 pointers - True - but does it matter? At 6'10 he's a big that makes his living down low and just happens to be a superior generator of assists.

Below link lists 7 players at 6'10" or taller with current search requirements as noted in link.

http://bkref.com/tiny/ix1rp

Note that while he is listed as a point guard Simmons takes .932 percent of his shots from 2 point range.
  Simmons - .932----- nba 1 year
  Antetokounmpo - .923----- nba 5 years
  Drummond - .917----- nba 6 years
  Davis - .896----- nba 6 years
  Aldridge - .865----- nba 12 years
  Howard - .842----- nba 14 years
  Towns - .743----- nba 3 years
   Only Towns and Davis are plus shooters from 3 point land.
swish

Some additional stats
      Percentage of total shots that were from inside of 10 feet
  Drummond - .931
  Howard - .849
  Simmons - .780
  Antetokounmpo - .625
  Towns - .579
  Davis - .509
  Aldridge - .485

Last edited by swish on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add on stats)

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 pm

I don't see Simmons as a problem, but I am not a NBA coach so who knows.

the more i think about it, the more I am sorry I brought it up.

I don't think if it happens it will be good for the Celtics.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Among the most idiotic things I ever heard. Be it true or false.

First off, it appears to be pure speculation.

Beyond that, if by any chance there is a shred of truth, James is now so self-important he can decide the owners politics too? What's he going to do, check out the next owners party affiliation?

Although it's not exactly what Beat said, and I'm not interpreting his comment, but let James go to Toronto. Then the owners friends or politics won't matter. Unless James dislikes Justin Trudeau too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm

NYCelt wrote:Among the most idiotic things I ever heard. Be it true or false.

First off, it appears to be pure speculation.

Beyond that, if by any chance there is a shred of truth, James is now so self-important he can decide the owners politics too? What's he going to do, check out the next owners party affiliation?

Although it's not exactly what Beat said, and I'm not interpreting his comment, but let James go to Toronto. Then the owners friends or politics won't matter. Unless James dislikes Justin Trudeau too.
I, on the other hand think it is preposterous to deny that he is free , once he is a free agent to go play wherever he wants for whatever reason he wants , including politics or because he likes the beef foo yung at the China Star. He isn`t deciding the owner`s politics, but his own, ( if there is any truth to the rumor.)  Now, you guys are going to apply some sort of patriotism test and consign people to exile if you don`t agree with them ? Sounds Orwellian to me, but then there are those that believe we are in dystopian times. Whatever beat did or didn`t mean , your  snark about Trudeau makes yours abundantly clear, NYCelt. I didn`t come here to argue politics and I didn`t bring it up, so I`ll leave it here.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:52 pm

left foot,

The Trudeau comment wasn't meant as political bias on my part. I simply said it implying that choosing a team based on politics seems absurd in my opinion. My intent isn't being political, it's saying politics, including the player's, should have nothing to do with it. In other words, what the heck does politics, or who the owners friends are, have to do with anything? I like keeping politics out of it. Sorry if my meaning got lost in my words.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 pm

No problem.Thanks for your response.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:34 pm

I should point out that Toronto has no cap space not that it matters concerning Lebron.  

If they were to luck out and get the top pick he may stay put.  My gut however tells me two things.  One, that the sullen history between James and Gilbert may have come to a point of no return and two, I ate too much barbecue putting my campaign to lose weight back at least a week.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:02 pm

With the cap space that the Lakers and 76ers have to work with this summer we could be in for a renewal of the rivalry of the 1960's and 80's, when along with the Celtics, those 2 teams were at the top of their game also. Happy days could be here again for all 3 legendary franchises.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Swish what goes around comes around. All 3 teams are rebuilding at the same time but with Boston ready to make its' 4th straight playoff appearance it is hard to believe that have a young team.

Philly tanked their way throughout the rebuild and LA is still not that good. The Celtics are the model on how to rebuild the entire team and still win. Pretty amazing.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 pm

dboss wrote:I should point out that Toronto has no cap space not that it matters concerning Lebron.  

If they were to luck out and get the top pick he may stay put.  My gut however tells me two things.  One, that the sullen history between James and Gilbert may have come to a point of no return and two, I ate too much barbecue putting my campaign to lose weight back at least a week.

dboss,

Ok, I'm with you on this.

Just spent a week on Hilton Head. Fantastic fitness center where we stayed. I didn't work out once.

One has to chase hush puppies with beer; right?

Monday after work is going to be  a bear at the gym. I don't even want to look at the scale.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:37 pm

beat wrote:Aren’t all NBA teams except  Toronto in the US?

beat

By my count 5 other teams are not in the us.. Golden State, the clippers and Lakers as California is really in its own universe, also the knickerbockers and nets as I don't really think much really exists.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 pm

NYCelt wrote:
dboss wrote:I should point out that Toronto has no cap space not that it matters concerning Lebron.  

dboss,

Ok, I'm with you on this.

Just spent a week on Hilton Head. Fantastic fitness center where we stayed. I didn't work out once.

One has to chase hush puppies with beer; right?

Monday after work is going to be  a bear at the gym. I don't even want to look at the scale.

Regards
NYCelt

That's too funny.  I am heading to Boston next month and taking a cruise with some friends.  I'm trying desperately to get my beach bod up and running.  

Tomorrow I head back to the gym for more pain and suffering.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down