+5
jeb
steve3344
Sam
Nyce_1
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw Empty Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw

Post by bobheckler Tue May 18, 2010 6:11 pm

This interesting, and very well examined and considered, insight has been provided to me about the Jameer putback of the Vince Carter free throw miss at the end of game 1.

It appears to be a well-designed play, not a fluke. There were three parts to the play.

1. Gortat was lined up on the right side of the lane. As soon as Carter released the ball (or before, as is customary in the NBA), Gortat moved hard across the lane, taking Rasheed with him. That opened up the right side of the lane.

2. Carter intentionally missed the free throw to the right side.

3. As soon as players started moving, Nelson sprinted in to the vacated right side to get the rebound and put-back.

It worked to perfection, and I'm convinced that it was a planned play. SVG is good at this kind of thing.

It starts at 3:40 in the following video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOSCdeF77c

As far as Ray is concerned, unless Ray knew about the play in advance, I don't see how anyone can expect him to box out or otherwise stop Nelson. Who's going to think that itty bitty Nelson is going to run in where Rasheed and Gortat are and get the rebound? If you watch the video, Ray reacts pretty quickly and trails Nelson down the lane, but Nelson had enough of a jump to make the play and was clearly ready to run at top speed to the hoop on the release.

Trick plays like this only work once on an opponent, and I'm sure the Celtics will be aware of this if the situation comes up again. But it's the best play I've ever seen for the situation.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw Empty Re: Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw

Post by Nyce_1 Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 am

it was a real good play. SVG is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the league and very underrated overall, IMO. That's a play you bring out when you REALLLLLLLY have to, and that was as good a time as any. Too bad it didn't net the Magic the win.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw Empty Re: Jameer's putback of VC's missed free throw

Post by Sam Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 am

Nyce, I need to ask your opinion about Carter's last free throw tonight. Just before he took it, they showed a closeup...and I swear he was making eye contact with someone. Do you believe he could have missed that last one intentionally? If so, he's taking a bad rap from some people for an alleged double choke.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed May 19, 2010 2:17 am

Sam wrote:Nyce, I need to ask your opinion about Carter's last free throw tonight. Just before he took it, they showed a closeup...and I swear he was making eye contact with someone. Do you believe he could have missed that last one intentionally? If so, he's taking a bad rap from some people for an alleged double choke.

Sam

Sam,

I find it virtually inconceivable that any NBA player would intentionally miss a free throw with 31.9 seconds remaining in a 3 point game. In the last few seconds, yeah, but not with that much time left.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyce_1 Wed May 19, 2010 9:57 am

Sam,

no way in hell he missed ANY of those FTs intentionally. That was a classic choke job that brought back horrible memories (Nick Anderson missed 4 straight FTs in the '95 Finals vs. Houston, to ice the game, and we lost by 2pts) for any true Magic fan. Is it possible he could've been trying to get the attention of someone in hopes of replicating that game 1 play? Sure. I'm not on the court to know for sure, and anything is possible; but, regardless, he messed up....BIG time.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

Nyce, I'll confess that I was sweating bullets when Jameer's last shot was in the air. I had convinced myself it would be impossible for the Magic to hit a three in that situation. But that shot was directly on target—just a bit short.

Hey, is there any chance you ever get up New England way. We're having a Boston party July 31. No charge, except for what you eat and drink (and, of course, your travel arrangements). I must say that, after reading the comments of some of your message board mate on their own board, I have all the admiration in the world for your appearance here. It would be a distinct pleasure to meet you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyce_1 Wed May 19, 2010 11:21 am

Sam,

I'm actually in Tampa, Fl, so if I'm still active on this board, and living in Tampa, I'll meet you guys when you have your St. Pete gathering. The quality of my home board has gone down over the last 2 yrs. More success equates more bandwagon fans who don't much about the game. The board is unbareable after losses; especially ones of this magnitude.

When Jameer's shot grazed the net, I bout died thinking it went in, lol. If it was Vince shooting, it would've went in. 'Meer killed us with that earlier ill-advised 3-pt attempt, with just over a minute to go. I almost threw my cell phone at the TV because he always gets into this "i'm-gonna-play-hero" mode and stops being a PG and following the game plan, and chucks up some bad shot.

I'm more frustrated with HOW we lost that game. Bad shot selection and not capitalizing on opportunities when they present themselves.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 am

Nyce

It is tricky to handle success as it is failure. Trickier. We have not handled success too well as a team and tend to relax. This series aint over.

It gets hinky over here after losses too. I think you will find that this forum has some serious hoop bibles and welcomes members who know the game and not just their team when the team is winning.

At the end of the day as it stands we have a few more guys who can get their own shot and just a little more scoring punch. Couple that with a pretty grand swarming d and it's tough. Rondo is a tough kid aint he?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Nyce,
As others stated before, it is nice to have an opponent's fan to have a conversation with.
Last night's game, imo, was more lost by Magic than won by Celtics. But you have to keep in mind the tremendous pressure that was brought by Celtics' win in game 1.
BTW, what was happening in that arena - somebody decided to water the parquet? Thankfully nobody got hurt except VC. Hope his wrist is ok.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 pm

We're familiar with what Doc calls, "hero shots." During a prolonged portion of this season, when things were going terribly wrong for the Celtics, it sometimes seemed they were at epidemic level.

I had to feel for your coach last night. He seemed beyond frustration that things weren't executed as he had drawn them up. That's one thing the Celtics haave been doing pretty well—following the game plan. My guess is, if the core of this Magic group stays together and becomes more seasoned, that discipline will kick in for them too. At that point, watch out!

Tampa huh? I've actually had visions of getting a function room at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City for our Florida party. That's one of our favorite places. Guess it's silly to look too far into the future. There's the matter of a hotly contested Eastern Final Series to contend with.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Sam,

I also live in Tampa, so I would be happy to buy drinks if you have a Florida party.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed May 19, 2010 4:56 pm

TJ,
Welcome back!

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Thank you.
Sam and I had a real nice 'conversation' and I am back.
He is a extremely eloquent and a very kind person.

P.S. Sorry for the drama.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed May 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Drama is what is all about..

TNT knows it!

Welcome back tjmakz!
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Welcome back TJ.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 19, 2010 5:17 pm

The big drama will be when Boston and LA play in the finals.
Wow, that will be stressful but should be a great series.
Sorry Orlando and Phoenix, Series over.

Thank you Swede and bobh.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 pm

TJ & Nyce, I'm in Sarasota, if these guys blow us off next year, we can have our own party! lol

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey TJ, welcome back. You've made my month! (Well at least you're in second place depending what happens in the playoffs.) I didn't know you were in Tampa. That strengthens my resolve to have a board (and friends) party in the Tampa-St. Pete area next spring.

Wow, and you even returned on the day after a Celtics victory. I don't make predictions, but Celtics-Lakers looking pretty good, huh?

I am one happy guy that you're back. No kidding!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down