Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes

+4
cowens/oldschool
dboss
worcester
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes Empty Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jaylen-brown-developing-high-impact-233003798.html

Blakely: Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes

A. Sherrod Blakely,NBC Sports Boston Wed, Apr 18 4:30 PM PDT

BOSTON – Jaylen Brown can still hear the murmurs from draft night two years ago shortly after his name was called.

It was the pinnacle for every kid who has ever dreamed of being an NBA player, and yet Brown's moment of great adulation from fans became a dream deferred with a mix of cheers and jeers from Celtics fans who felt the team would have been better off packaging the No. 3 pick used on Brown to acquire a more proven talent.

That would serve as one of the many boulder-sized chips on Brown's shoulders that has brought him to where he is now, as one of the biggest breakout performers in the playoffs.

He is coming off a career-high 30 points in Boston's 120-106 win, making the 21-year-old the youngest player in Celtics history to score 30 or more in a playoff game.

Brown comes into Friday night's Game 3 matchup leading the Celtics (2-0 in best-of-seven series) averaging a team-high 25 points per game on 51.2 percent shooting from the field and 41.2 percent from 3-point range.

Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes Aee5301e5e9bd0021df766b3d93326bd

What Brown is doing now is a direct reflection of the progress made in his overall game from where it was a year ago, even if it doesn't seem like that big a deal to him.

"To be honest, I don't even pay attention to it. I've just been playing basketball all year," Brown said following Tuesday's win. "My teammates help me out a lot by finding me. Terry (Rozier) found me a lot throughout the course of the game and I was able to take some shots. Ultimately, we just want to win games, so that's the only thing that we are concerned with. We are confident as ever. Teams have been writing us off all year and we just keep proving people wrong, so that's what we're going to do."

Proving folks wrong is part of the narrative that is Brown's story.

When he came into the NBA, folks loved his athleticism. But his jumper, ball-handling and defensive awareness needed work. There's an expectation that with time and experience, young players will get better. But what we've seen in Brown is more than just growth. It's the byproduct of a young man who's extremely motivated to do more than just get better.

He wants to be the best player on the floor, every minute he's out there. While it is a goal that he'll fall short of achieving, Brown is developing into a major, high-impact player before our very eyes.

Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes B239e73bacbe971d05f6a3b4a67d959e

"Well I think Jaylen loves the moment," said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens. "I think he really appreciated the opportunity like to – to compete on this stage and at this level and we've seen him against the better teams in the league all year be able to really raise his level in some of the biggest games. And, you know, I think that obviously he's gaining more experience by the minute and he – he lived quite a lot last year. And so, he's one of our more experienced guys in some ways in this setting."

It is a setting Brown has always felt that it was a matter of when, not if, he would be here. And while he has certainly become a fan favorite, he knows he still has a few skeptics out there.

"I love it. I thrive off it," Brown told NBC Sports Boston. "When people say this, say that, tell you what you're gonna do, tell you how successful you are going to be, I smile and keep it moving."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes Empty Re: Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes

Post by worcester Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm

He's mentally tough and determined, as are Terry and Jayson and Theis. Good future ahead for all four.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes Empty Re: Jaylen Brown evolving into high-impact player before our eyes

Post by dboss Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm

He is the 2nd highest Points per game increase in the NBA year over year.

he has worked on his handle and finishing at the rim through contact. He has worked on his 2 point shooting from the corners as well as everywhere else. He has worked on his free throw shooting, passing and rebounding.

He has the work ethic to continue improvements in all areas. His IQ is off the charts. This dude is smart.

Everything about him says Celtics, Celtics Celtics. I did not even imagine that he could improve this much in such a short period of time.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

dboss wrote:He has the 2nd highest Points per game increase in the NBA year over year.

he has worked on his handle and finishing at the rim through contact.  He has worked on his 2 point shooting from the corners as well as everywhere else.  He has worked on his free throw shooting, passing and rebounding.

He has the work ethic to continue improvements in all areas.  His IQ is off the charts.  This dude is smart.

Everything about him says Celtics, Celtics Celtics.  I did not even imagine that he could improve this much in such a short period of time.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:51 pm

He’s really improved in every phase, definitely playing better now than ever, has every athletic gift, he can do it all, still so young....can defend all over the place, run, shoot, finishing thru contact. He might be the next Kobe....soon.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Kobe was more fluid.  But I think Jaylen is better shooting the 3 than year 2 of Kobie.

Overall a very good comparison.  Once his balling skills improve , Brown likely will be unstoppabe one on one.  How he responds to getting double teamed more will be interesting.  

He certainly has taken over a portion of the production lost with so many guys out.

Truth be told this team has a solid roster with a lot of young ballers.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Kobe was never a great 3 point shooter, he just took a lot of them at a time the 3 point game wasn’t as prolific as it is today, actually he took more shots in general than anybody, but he did have among the greatest ability in a dynamic clever midrange game that was as good as it gets and the key to that was his ball handling. All Celtic fans must be thrilled how well Jaylen is hitting 3’s now, I didn’t see this aspect coming, plus his ability to get up for big moments in big games. Twice in match ups against GS he matched basket for basket with Durant and his defense kept him from monster games.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Hard to imagine this kid not winning the most improved player award in the NBA this season.

And, with as young as he is he will still improve more and more for at least five more seasons. Hard to even think about how good he will be at that time as he is still very much an NBA baby.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Brown is going to be fantastic; I'd say it's almost a given. Absolutely no doubt about it.

But he's got a long way to go yet, and I think comparisons to Kobe are wildly premature.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

NYCelt wrote:Brown is going to be fantastic; I'd say it's almost a given. Absolutely no doubt about it.

But he's got a long way to go yet, and I think comparisons to Kobe are wildly premature.

Valid point Deano and I wouldn’t have made that comparison a year ago and agree he’s got a long ways to go, but I can’t think of a young backcourt player in the league right now that has a game with the required athleticism that could grow into something resembling the hated Kobe.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 am

Can we give some credit to Jaylen, he was really unbelievable, forget about Morris and Rozier, if he just pulls back, does a different set up or move, shows some patience...we might all be raving of what an unbelievable comeback that was and how incredible his performance was. Jaylen was so good, they had to put Giannis on him and he was hitting jumpers right in his face. See that time he did that lefty finish right thru/by Giannis on the break? This is as dramatic as when Moses went down in 85 playoffs and rookie Barkley went on a tear averaging huge double doubles and running floor for dunks, you just knew Barkley was gonna be so great. Yep he’s a keeper.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 am

As long as Jaylen keeps on pushing the issue and staying aggressive he will be a very good player. I just dont want him to end up being another Jeff Green. I dont think he will be for many reasons but there are SOME similarities.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:As long as Jaylen keeps on pushing the issue and staying aggressive he will be a very good player. I just dont want him to end up being another Jeff Green. I dont think he will be for many reasons but there are SOME similarities.

Thats severe insult comparing him to Green....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Jaylen is turning into a force. The athletic ability is there. The brain is there. The work ethis is ther. The consistency seems to be coming also. To take the next step,he has to continue to look for his own shot and think of himself as the best player on the floor even when KI and GH are back.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Jaylen is turning into a force. The athletic ability is there. The brain is there. The work ethis is ther. The consistency seems to be coming also. To take the next step,he has to continue to look for his own shot and think of himself as the best player on the floor even when KI and GH are back.

Shamrock (and Cowens),

At this point it's mostly all about consistency for Jaylen. The specifics of his game have come along really, really nicely. He has improved his frito % (he shot 64.4% during the season but is 75% in the playoffs so far), his fg% and just about everything else. Strangely, despite getting a ton more touches during the playoffs he is averaging fewer ftas/game. That will change as the legend of Jaylen Brown sinks into the consciousness of the refs, he'll get more whistles. But consistency is where he will need to work because, when Irving and Hayward come back his touches will drop precipitously and that will almost certainly affect his game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Shamrock1000 wrote:Jaylen is turning into a force. The athletic ability is there. The brain is there. The work ethis is ther. The consistency seems to be coming also. To take the next step,he has to continue to look for his own shot and think of himself as the best player on the floor even when KI and GH are back.

Shamrock (and Cowens),

At this point it's mostly all about consistency for Jaylen.  The specifics of his game have come along really, really nicely.  He has improved his frito % (he shot 64.4% during the season but is 75% in the playoffs so far), his fg% and just about everything else.  Strangely, despite getting a ton more touches during the playoffs he is averaging fewer ftas/game.  That will change as the legend of Jaylen Brown sinks into the consciousness of the refs, he'll get more whistles.  But consistency is where he will need to work because, when Irving and Hayward come back his touches will drop precipitously and that will almost certainly affect his game.

bob

It’s been pissing me off he’s not getting the calls.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:As long as Jaylen keeps on pushing the issue and staying aggressive he will be a very good player. I just dont want him to end up being another Jeff Green. I dont think he will be for many reasons but there are SOME similarities.

The insult would be saying he is at the same level and will be which I dont think he will be. I just hope he keeps on working on his game and staying aggressive so he doesnt waste his talent.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

The insult would be saying he is at the same level and will be which I dont think he will be. I just hope he keeps on working on his game and staying aggressive so he doesnt waste his talent.

He’s already shown more improvement from working in one year than Jeff Green did his whole career. Green has never improved and got worse and worse from year 2 on, he’s also shown more of a desire to have the ball and make the right shot/play in tight games in one year than Jeff Green did his whole career.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down