Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high

3 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high Empty Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:10 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/03/bulpett_jaylen_brown_s_potential_seems_sky_high

Bulpett: Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high

By:  Steve Bulpett

Monday, March 13, 2017

Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high 031217celtsms08
Credit: Matt Stone
SUNDAY FUN DAY: Isaiah Thomas laughs with Jaylen Brown(#7) during the Celtics’ win yesterday.

Jimmy Butler is well aware the Celtics have been after him for the better part of the last two seasons. He knows the Bulls are trying to decide how to execute their rebuild, and it’s clear he’s their biggest asset.

But those decisions are made by others, so Butler was more concerned with the team whose name was on his T-shirt as he sat in the visitors’ dressing room following Chicago’s 100-80 surrender to the Celts yesterday afternoon.

“I’m not there,” Butler said after shooting 2-for-11 and posting just five points, 18.4 fewer than his average, in 31 minutes. “I’m here, and I’ve got to worry about this organization. I’ve got to try to control what’s going on over here.

“I don’t know what the future holds for me. I don’t think anybody does. But until anything changes, I’ve got to play the best basketball I can play here.”

As for the Celtics’ repeated attempts to deal for him, Butler said, “It’s always good to feel wanted. You know, I’ll leave it at that.”

There are some around the NBA, however, who believe the Celtics may already have a 6-foot-7 star — if they are willing to be patient. (And, get this, Butler is a part of that chorus.)

In the 10 games since the All-Star break, Jaylen Brown is averaging 11.5 points on 54.4 percent shooting (46.7 percent on 3-pointers) in a little more than 24 minutes a game. Certainly it’s important to see where Brown is now, but even greater in the grand Shamrock scheme is what the 20-year-old rookie can be next season and beyond.

To this, Brown states a belief that he can eventually provide even more than Butler.

“I have high expectations for myself, but it doesn’t have a limit,” said Brown after posting 11 points and three rebounds in 25 minutes yesterday. “I’m not saying that Jimmy Butler’s my limit. I think I can be better one day. I have all respect for him, and he’ll probably tell me he wants me to try to be better than him, too. So I’ve just got to keep working, and everything will fall into place.”

Brown has a pretty good line on Butler’s thinking. The two share a trainer and worked out together last summer.

“Yeah, that’s what I want for him,” Butler said. “I want the kid to be the greatest, because that’s what he wants. As long as he’s pushing himself each and every day, there is no ceiling for him. Nobody can put a ceiling on anybody. You’ve just got to want to be better.

“You’ve got to want to be great, and I can tell from hanging around him this past summer that that’s what he wants. He loves to compete against the best. As long as he keeps that edge and that confidence, man, you can’t put a ceiling on that.”

Butler went on about the kid seven years his junior.

“I like him,” he said. “He plays hard, he plays within himself, and he’s super confident. He’s going to be around this league for a while. He works, man, and that’s all you can ask. As long as he continues to want to get better, he’s going to do just that.

“I’m happy for him. He’s playing at a high level right now, and he’s a big key to what they’re trying to do over there. I just don’t want him to ever settle, as I always tell him. You’re never going to be perfect in any aspect of the game, so don’t think just because you get to the top that somebody ain’t chasing your spot. He knows that somebody is.”

Some scouts are likening Brown’s game more to a — take a deep breath, Greenhearts — Kawhi Leonard. But the rook is looking in more than one direction for ideas and inspiration.

“I like to take bits and pieces from a lot of people’s games,” Brown said. “It’s tough to say just one person that I think plays like me or plays how I want to play in the future. I can’t really put a name to that, but I like a lot of guys. I like Jimmy. Jimmy is a mentor of mine. I like his game. I like Kawhi. I like (Russell) Westbrook. I like Kyrie (Irving). I like what they do with the ball. I try to pull bits and pieces from everybody’s game.”

When all is said and done, however, Jaylen Brown is going to have to be Jaylen Brown. The guy who hit 3-of-6 treys and was all over the floor on defense is a fairly good start — even with the three turnovers.

The feeling here is that he’ll be significantly better after a summer to further sort things out.

“I’m going to just do what I can do,” Brown said. “I’m going to work hard and come back strong. I’m not going to put any expectations on myself.”

With the way he’s played of late, others are beginning to take care of that for him.

bob
MY NOTE:  Until you get to the Conference Finals you can't really say that NOBODY is untouchable on your team.  There may be some that are close, that it would take a Godfather offer to get them, but they are not untouchable.  If there is one untouchable on the Celtics I would say it is Jaylen Brown.  The combination of being in the first year of his rookie contract, and his potential which we are seeing him take strides towards every game, take him off the table as far as I am concerned.   Kawhi Leonard?  Wow.  We should be so lucky.  I think that might be unfair to the kid, it's like people saying that Danny Ainge was the next Jerry West, but to even be in the same breath as Leonard is a compliment.  Leonard is one of, if not the, best two-way players in the league. I love Brown's demeanor and his work ethic. He doesn't care about ROY or making the Rising Stars Challenge, he spent his time over the All-Star break in the gym and not on an island somewhere. That brings a big smile to my face.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high Empty Re: Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high

Post by dboss Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am

Josh Jackson is also being compared to Leonard.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high Empty Re: Jaylen Brown’s potential seems sky high

Post by wideclyde Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

I also have been very impressed with every step forward Jaylen Brown has taken this year. Not only is he already a contributing part of the rotation on one of the better teams in the league, he will only get better and better as time goes by. Congrats to Jaylen and the Cs coaching staff for such fine improvements to date.

Making a prediction, I will say that Brown will be an all star selection by the time he is 23 years old.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
about 4 hours ago
Jaylen Brown is leading the Celtics in 3pt shooting since the All-Star break, hitting 46.7% of his attempts. Up to 35.4% for the season.
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Nice upward trend for a kid 1 1/2 years out of High School and whose outside game was considered a weakness.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down