NYCelt
dboss
sinus007
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Should We Do With Rozier?

Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_lcap18%Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_lcap0%Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_lcap0%Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_lcap64%Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]
Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_lcap18%Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Empty Problems with trading Terry Rozier....

Post by bobheckler Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/5/2/17313794/problems-with-trading-terry-rozier

Problems with trading Terry Rozier....

By tdubis65 on May 2, 2018, 11:31pm EDT 20

Full disclosure--

Over a year ago-- I think I pushed the idea of trading Terry Rozier for Jahlil Okafor. So-- my credibility is pretty freaking low right now.

Full disclosure 2--

I would like to see Rozier traded because he deserves a shot to be a starting point guard in the league.

With that said-- here are three reasons that complicate trading Rozier.

Lets start with a simple assumption. The Celtics will be Championship contenders NEXT year. if they trade Rozier they need to trade him for a player who will be MORE valuable to the roster than what they currently have. The problem is-- the Celtics have a pretty stacked roster and not much cap space.

TRADING FOR A CURRENT DRAFT PICK

Looking at the teams with top 10 picks--

Phoenix.. Desperately needs a point guard BUT the lowest they are going to pick is 4. No way they are willing to give up on Donca, Bagley, Jackson or Ayton for Rozier.

Memphis-- Yep-- sign a point guard who could be gone in two years when you have a point guard near max-- Conley on your roster-- NOT happening.

Dallas-- Drafted Denis Smith Jr. last year. Not trading for Rozier.

Atlanta-- have Dennis Schroder locked down for 4 years. Rozier MAY be an upgrade but not worth the pick.

Orlando-- has a dire need at point. Maybe the Celtics could throw in a few additional picks-- but would if Bamba is here, would you give up a future DPOY guy for a potentially great point guard.

Chicago-- again, there is a need. But are you getting back someone at 6 who will give you more next year than Rozier gives you.

Sacramento-- drafted Fox. They are not going to trade for Rozier-- except-- they are the KINGS.

Cleveland-- needs a point-- but need to keep James happy more.

New York-- again, may have interest-- after the top players the draft is heaving on wings. With Tatum, Smart, Hayward and Brown-- the Celtics do not need another wing.

Philadelphia-- has Simmons. Rozier would be an interesting add but not giving up their last good draft pick for 10 years for a good point guard.

TRADING FOR A CURRENT PLAYER

Again-- the Celtics are not only good-- but they are deep & they have a few players who could develop.

With Ojeleye, Yabusele, Allen and Bird-- the Celtics do not need any developmental projects.

They could use the ever elusive "rim protector" but Nerlens Noel is going to be an cheep unrestricted free agent. While he is not great-- who can you get via trade who is going to be better enough to give up Rozier for?

TRADING FOR FUTURE PICKS.

Teams will not give up future picks without a lot of protections. Also-- the quality of draft class fluctuates so much. The third pick in 2018 is FAR more valuable than the third pick in 2016.

MAYBE-- Phoenix would be willing to let go of the MIami unprotected 2021 pick for Rozier-- that would at least be interesting. Both teams would be taking huge risks.

But-- if they are able to get Leonard for Jackson, Criss and a few draft picks-- maybe they will want Rozier to make a playoff push.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Empty Re: Problems with trading Terry Rozier....

Post by sinus007 Thu May 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi,
So far, I don't see why we should trade TR other than to save some $$$.
OTOH, we have we have a very capable player who proved that he can deliver, especially in playoffs. I believe he will be instrumental for getting #18 next year.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Problems with trading Terry Rozier.... Empty Re: Problems with trading Terry Rozier....

Post by dboss Thu May 03, 2018 12:57 pm

I would reluctantly trade Rozier and next year's kings pick if the celtics have a shot at a player like Bamba.  He would be my target.  His length is tremendous.

I would go after the Orlando pick and if we had to also part with an additional pick I would give up #27 this year.  

This move would weaken our PG depth but if Hayward is back and ready to play he can assume some of the ball handling chores.

Bamba's length would make Boston the best defensive team in the NBA by a wide margin.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu May 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi,
Here is another wild speculation.
I'm starting to wonder if Danny acquired CTS (Compulsive Trader Syndrome) and needs intervention...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 03, 2018 2:54 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Here is another wild speculation.
I'm starting to wonder if Danny acquired CTS (Compulsive Trader Syndrome) and needs intervention...

AK

AK,

While that sounds wild, with D Ainge I take nothing off the table. Especially if it secures a missing key ingredient.

I wonder if his CTS can be treated with antibiotics?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm

2018 pick.

Bamba or Carter.

And it will probably take more than just Rozier to get there.

+ It could turn out Scary Terry stays, and another of our young stars goes.

D Ainge has the capital to make a significant move for a balanced roster and long-haul serious contender status.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,
Trading for better/best players is a tool, not a goal. I'm pretty sure Danny knows that.
If not the Celtics are in deep doodoo.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 03, 2018 3:25 pm

I think I started talking about using Rozier to move up a few weeks back here.

I said then that Orlando at #5 would be a target, due to them needing a starting PG.

of course there would need to be a player on the board at that pick, that Danny feels is a better long term play than Rozier.

the other issue with moving up that high in any draft is , I doubt anyone feels Rozier is worth that pick alone.

If I am Orlando I want the Kings pick in 2019 (which I would not give them) Also.

A deal that MIGHT be fair for both teams could be Rozier, #27 this year and Memphis OR Clippers future first for #5 and #35 picks this year.

but that is ONLY IF Danny feels the player on the board is another long term quality starter.

players I have said I would want are Bamba or Jackson at #5.

Carter I am up and down on, but I know some have him as a young Horford......so...........

I don't think Rozier alone will get us another elite player in the draft or in a trade

edit:

I re read the piece and noted they feel Noel will come cheap as an UFA this year. After this seasons fiasco at Dallas they are correct . With the lack of FA money around this year, there will be lots of players taking a one year Mid Level deal, IMO.

Replacing Monroe by rolling the dice on Noel at the MLE next year and re-signing both Smart (absolutely!) and Baynes should allow us to punt the ball on any Rozier deal another year.

we need to remember we can still control Rozier as a RFA after next season and that that is the year Irving can opt out I think. Likely one or the other then if it gets that far I suppose.

that year we could also be sitting on the Kings lottery pick and perhaps one or Memphis or Clippers I believe.

depending on who has improved and who has had injuries problems, Danny could elect to allow Irving walk at that point. stranger things have happened in the NBA.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu May 03, 2018 4:03 pm

kdp59 wrote:I think I started talking about using Rozier to move up a few weeks back here.

I said then that Orlando at #5 would be a target, due to them needing a starting PG.

of course there would need to be a player on the board at that pick, that Danny feels is a better long term play than Rozier.

the other issue with moving up that high in any draft is , I doubt anyone feels Rozier is worth that pick alone.

If I am Orlando I want the Kings pick in 2019 (which I would not give them) Also.

A deal that MIGHT be fair for both teams could be Rozier, #27 this year and Memphis OR Clippers future first for #5 and #35 picks this year.

but that is ONLY IF Danny feels the player on the board is another long term quality starter.

players I have said I would want are Bamba or Jackson at #5.

Carter I am up and down on, but I know some have him as a young Horford......so...........

I don't think Rozier alone will get us another elite player in the draft or in a trade

edit:

I re read the piece and noted they feel Noel will come cheap as an UFA this year. After this seasons fiasco at Dallas they are correct . With the lack of FA money around this year, there will be lots of players taking a one year Mid Level deal, IMO.

Replacing Monroe by rolling the dice on Noel at the MLE next year and re-signing both Smart (absolutely!) and Baynes should allow us to punt the ball on any Rozier deal another year.

we need to remember we can still control Rozier as a RFA after next season and that that is the year Irving can opt out I think. Likely one or the other then if it gets that far I suppose.

that year we could also be sitting on the Kings lottery pick and perhaps one or Memphis or Clippers I believe.

depending on who has improved and who has had injuries problems, Danny could elect to allow Irving walk at that point. stranger things  have happened in the NBA.
That's right it was your post that identified Orlando as a possible trade partner.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Orlando may be interested.  They would be getting a solid all aound player with 2 years left on his contract.

I think TR is better than the top PG coming out.  So if they want a pg why not get one that is still young but has great experience under his belt
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm

"I would like to see Rozier traded because he deserves a shot to be a starting point guard in the league."

This has got to be the most ridiculous reason to trade away a pretty good player that I have ever read.  Just plain cray-cray.

Almost everyone thought he was a poor pick a couple years ago, but he proved otherwise.  He doesn't have a high enough salary ATM to trade him for an equal or better established NBA player.

He is a great player to come off the bench next season, behind Kyrie.  Great depth at that position, he can be utilized so that Kyrie can keep his minutes down and even take a game off once in a while.

Why anyone would be in as rush to trade him, considering our future cap restraints, is beyond me.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

dboss wrote:Orlando may be interested.  They would be getting a solid all aound player with 2 years left on his contract.

I think TR is better than the top PG coming out.  So if they want a pg why not get one that is still young but has great experience under his belt

I'm with you on Bamba ( who knows what Danny thinks), but Rozier will be on his final year of his rookie deal next year. That's why I think it would take more than Just Rozier to get that high in the draft.

as you've pointed out before this years there is not a lot of cash around after the top FA's sign. That means that Danny may be able to get a bargain with that MLE next season. If so, standing pat after signing Smart and maybe Baynes could be the correct call for next year. Though missing out on a player like Bamba or Jackson could hurt in the future.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm

gyso wrote:"I would like to see Rozier traded because he deserves a shot to be a starting point guard in the league."

This has got to be the most ridiculous reason to trade away a pretty good player that I have ever read.  Just plain cray-cray.

Almost everyone thought he was a poor pick a couple years ago, but he proved otherwise.  He doesn't have a high enough salary ATM to trade him for an equal or better established NBA player.

He is a great player to come off the bench next season, behind Kyrie.  Great depth at that position, he can be utilized so that Kyrie can keep his minutes down and even take a game off once in a while.

Why anyone would be in as rush to trade him, considering our future cap restraints, is beyond me.

gyso

I think it IS the future cap issues that have brought this topic up recently, with Rozier's stellar play.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 03, 2018 5:09 pm

I haven’t seen entough of Bamba, I know he can obviously defend the rim, does he have the mobility to defend on perimeter?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 03, 2018 5:27 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I haven’t seen entough of Bamba, I know he can obviously defend the rim, does he have the mobility to defend on perimeter?

And, with this new NBA, can he shoot from the perimeter? I don't want a Hassan Whiteside, a player who can score inside but lacks the mobility to go out to the perimeter on offense or defense.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm

compared to Gobert here.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/mohamed-bamba

I like Jackson too

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaren-jackson-jr

NYCelt Likes Carter I think

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/wendell-carter

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 03, 2018 6:09 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I haven’t seen entough of Bamba, I know he can obviously defend the rim, does he have the mobility to defend on perimeter?

And, with this new NBA, can he shoot from the perimeter?  I don't want a Hassan Whiteside, a player who can score inside but lacks the mobility to go out to the perimeter on offense or defense.

bob

Bob your asking for too much, I don’t expect him to have an outside shot too, Rozier didn’t have one till just this last month....if he can defend on perimeter and rim somewhat that would make our defense historically great, we can get enough offense from all the other positions.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 03, 2018 6:20 pm

So if a trade like this takes place, we can throw all the rumors about Kwahi in the toilet???? I hope so. I know the guy is terrific, but we have up and coming two terrific's. And you know Pop will go after them first and foremost, he is not giving away a player like Kwahi without getting quality in return, and a new beginning.

I went off topic...so here is my thought on Terry Rozier. I think if he stays here, we are going to have a problem sooner or later. This guy wants to start, and now that he has, there is no turning back for him. For those who would say, "get rid of Kyrie"I could scream.
Terry Rozier is no where near Kyrie. So, I guess, my thought is, if you can get something really good in return, go for it. We still have another year before he is a restricted free agent, right????

I think this team went through a major overhaul last year, this can't keep happening year after year. But, what if Paul and LeBron go to Philly, talk about scary.

I really would love to keep Rozier but, someone will go this year. I wonder who it will be

enough rambling, I will end with one statement,
DANNY AINGE...I WILL BE SOOO DISAPPOINTED IF YOU BREAK UP THE TANDUM OF BROWN AND TATUM.
WE ARE ON THE VERGE OF SUCH A TERRIFIC SEASON NEXT YEAR, LET IT RIDE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu May 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Funny.

TR scores a playoff career high and we talk about trading him.

Such is life as a Celtics fan.

I think Danny will make a deal if it is for a center that could anchor the defense for a decade.  The draft pick from the Philly fleecing may be in play.

If Boston trades TR they will need to draft another PG.

Do we under-appreciate this roster?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm

I don't, I think it would be great to have him coming off the bench , even Brad has said before that he has floated the idea of two point guards playing together, and he did it a few times. I worry that TR will be unhappy, that is the biggest issue. If they could come to a happy medium, it would be awesome
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Just because he makes a statement that he can start in this league does not mean he’s demanding to start. I want to keep him, he’s such a great young 2 way player obviously coming into his own....if when that time comes and with the pick that could be Bamba comes up, well tough choices....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

And, with this new NBA, can he shoot from the perimeter?  I don't want a Hassan Whiteside, a player who can score inside but lacks the mobility to go out to the perimeter on offense or defense.

bob

Bob your asking for too much, I don’t expect him to have an outside shot too, Rozier didn’t have one till just this last month....if he can defend on perimeter and rim somewhat that would make our defense historically great, we can get enough offense from all the other positions.

Cow,

My bet is that we could pick up Noel on the cheap, as another one of Danny/Brad's reclamation projects. His rep is about as bad as it could get, having gotten run out of Philly and now Dallas. He only played 472 minutes all last year. Abdel Nader played 522. Why trade Rozier for an unknown, untested rookie when you could get a 23-going-on-24 year old who we know can play the same role and probably for the same money? A #6 pick makes $4M in year one, $4.7M in year 2 and $4.9M in year 3. It will take him that long to become a major contributor. I'll bet Noel has come down off his cloud, where he thought he could be a max player, and just wants to resurrect his career.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

bob

Bob your asking for too much, I don’t expect him to have an outside shot too, Rozier didn’t have one till just
this last month....if he can defend on perimeter and rim somewhat that would make our defense historically great, we can get enough offense from all the other positions.

Cow,

My bet is that we could pick up Noel on the cheap, as another one of Danny/Brad's reclamation projects.  His rep is about as bad as it could get, having gotten run out of Philly and now Dallas.  He only played 472 minutes
all last year.  Abdel Nader played 522.  Why trade Rozier for an unknown, untested rookie when you could get a 23-going-on-24 year old who we know can play the same role and probably for the same money?  A #6 pick makes $4M in year one, $4.7M in year 2 and $4.9M in year 3.  It will take him that long to become a major contributor.  I'll bet Noel has come down off his cloud, where he thought he could be a max player, and just wants to resurrect his career.

bob

Excellent idea, plus he’s a young veteran that knows enough of the game, doesn’t have to be taught everything. From what I remember of his defensive abilities, he’s the type of mobile rim protector that is ideal
for today’s game and I’m sure Brad would maximize those abilities. Good call bob.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 pm

I agree that Noel could be the answer. Maybe Brad can get him turned around.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 pm

I do not think that Noel could be a solution for next season over one of the top centers in this draft.

If he comes and comes cheap he will only be around for one season if he plays well. If he shows what he has shown now in both Philly and Dallas he will be a waste of a salary and also gone after one season.

Any one of the top five centers in the draft are likely to be as good as Noel in their first year, and of course, better over at least the time of their rookie contracts. None of these kids have a bad rep and probably will be much more willing to learn from the coaching staff and vets like Al Horford.

I used to think that Noel got jobbed in Philly, but maybe he got the same treatment that he got in Dallas because he just not seem to have it as a top level NBA player.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next