RosalieTCeltics
dboss
fierce
kdp59
gyso
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard  Empty Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard

Post by bobheckler Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 pm

https://nesn.com/2018/05/why-mike-gorman-wouldnt-trade-celtics-jayson-tatum-for-kawhi-leonard/

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard

by Ricky Doyle on Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:11PM

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard  Jayson-tatum1
Photo via Paul Rutherford/USA TODAY Sports Images

Thanks, but no thanks.

That’s how Celtics play-by-play announcer Mike Gorman feels about the possibility of Boston trading for San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard this offseason if it means surrendering Jayson Tatum.

“No, I would not,” Gorman said this week on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich” when asked if he’d build a package around Tatum to land Leonard. “Jayson is a big-time talent. Everybody around the league that I talk to says that it’s going to be frightening how good he’ll be in his second year.”

Tatum, the third overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, has been sensational for Boston in his rookie season, so it would be a huge gamble trading him for anybody. The 20-year-old averaged 13.9 points and 5 rebounds per game during the regular season and is a huge reason why the Celtics still are making noise in the playoffs despite not having Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward and even Jaylen Brown for the first two games of Boston’s second-round series against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Leonard, meanwhile, was limited to just nine games this season due to a quad injury. He’s one of the best players in the NBA when healthy, but Gorman can’t help but wonder what’s going on in San Antonio, where there’s seemingly been some friction between Leonard’s camp and Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich.

“I don’t want to be a conspiracy theorist, but there’s something not right about that whole situation in San Antonio with Kawhi Leonard. It just doesn’t seem to have worked out,” Gorman said. “We’re talking about the best guy (in Popovich). If you were to ask me who the two best coaches in the league were right now, I’d say that Gregg Popovich is No. 1 and (Celtics coach) Brad (Stevens) is 1A. Guys go to San Antonio, they have their careers revitalized, guys love playing down there. When something goes south in an atmosphere that usually players thrive in, it makes you wonder.

“And I hope Kawhi Leonard comes back and is Kawhi Leonard. But I’m not giving Jayson Tatum up for Kawhi Leonard.” Fair enough.

What would you do, C’s fans?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard  Empty Re: Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard

Post by gyso Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Kawhi Leonard's doctors think he has ossification of his right quad.  Cam Neely had mitosis ossificans in the knee area.  It sounds similar.

When I first read about Leonard's possible diagnosis, it made me think about Cam.  If Leonard's quad muscle is truly calcifying (muscle turning into bone), his career is is going to be limited.  

Cam only played 22 games in the two seasons after his initial injury, in the third season he was a "healthy" scratch in alternate games.  He lasted one more season and then retired due to a degenerative hip condition at the age of 31.

Worcester, what do you know about this?  Is it the same, similar, what?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard  Empty Re: Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard

Post by kdp59 Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 am

I agree that I would rather keep Tatum

Tatum, Brown and Rozier should be kept together is my opinion today.

Roziers' play so far these playoffs have me changing my mind on trading any of theses three now.

Unless we could somehow gets Anthony Davis (and I doubt NO would be so stupid), then Danny may be smart to keep the current team in tact.

adding Hayward and Irving to this playoff team, could be enough to get us in the finals

We will go into Luxury tax next year to bring back Smart and Baynes (Monroe or MLE). but that's the price to be a real contender in the NBA.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 05, 2018 8:27 am

Before the playoffs started, I was for trading Tatum for Kawhi.
But from what I've seen in this year's playoffs, I think it's best if the Celts keep Tatum.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat May 05, 2018 10:56 am

Tatum has multi-level skills along with multi-positional  abilities.  He is 20 years young and still growing.  I think we are looking at a stretch 4 that can also play SF, SG and also facilitate the offense as  point forward.

He may have the most diverse skills and positional value of any previous player drafted by Boston.

I think about all the years we lamented over not getting high lottery picks.  All the talk about crap shoot chances.  Yet here we are with 4 #1 picks that were used to draft some very impressive talent.

There is no need to trade young talent that can be projected to be as good if not better than the guy you think you need.

So stay the course and give thanks to what has been evolving right in front of us.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 am

I cannot imagine giving this kid up. We don't even know what is at the end of the rainbow here with him and with Brown. What a duo.

Are we this greedy that we can't wait to see what the future brings? For once I would love to take DA's phone from him and toss it in the river!!! As time goes on, there will be more and more people dying to trade for this kid.

Danny, resist the temptation and sit on your hands
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 05, 2018 11:30 am

mitosis ossificans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myositis_ossificans

ossification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossification

See definition #2:

Why Mike Gorman Wouldn’t Trade Celtics’ Jayson Tatum For Kawhi Leonard  Screen39

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am

I would just like people to pause and consider the possibility that Kawhi (according to his second opinion medical team) may have a serious medical issue as a "result of repetitive injury to the muscle".

Read here:

https://www.verywell.com/myositis-ossificans-2549840

I don't claim to be a medical expert, but there is an elephant in the room that just cannot be ignored.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 pm

House call needed.  Dr Worcester can you drop by

Gyso, wow damaged goods.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 05, 2018 2:07 pm

dboss wrote:House call needed.  Dr Worcester can you drop by

Gyso, wow damaged goods.

dboss,

Between earlier reports of a tendon issue and now this, I say "Buyer beware!!"

Somewhere hidden in a thread is the article where I read about the ossification.  I looked and couldn't find the thread, so here is a link to the article.  Look at #1, second paragraph:

https://sports.yahoo.com/7-things-learned-kawhi-leonards-status-san-antonio-spurs-172155529.html

According to the ESPN report, Leonard’s camp believes he’s suffering from an ossification of the right quadriceps muscle he’s bruised multiple times before, which has resulted in some atrophying, while the Spurs are sticking with the initial tendinopathy diagnosis. The treatment and timeline for each ailment are reportedly different, but everyone can agree that Leonard is suffering from something.

I cannot find where I read about his frayed tendon (is this from the Spurs diagnosis, tendinopathy?), but I will look for it later.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Didn't read the article.

Don't know a lot about Leonard's injury.

Wouldn't trade Tatum for him.

Happy Cinco de Derby!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat May 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Gyso, Here's what I know about MOT. If Kawhi has received this diagnosis I wouldn't touch him with a 7'1" Pole (Gortat).

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Myositis_Ossificans_of_the_Quadriceps
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Buyer beware. I want no part of this. We have been stung too many times over the years. Len Bias, Reggie, probably so many we don't even know.

By the way, do any of you read The Player's Tribune?
What a story about Keyon Dooling. Heartbreaking.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 05, 2018 4:04 pm

worcester wrote:Gyso, Here's what I know about MOT. If Kawhi has received this diagnosis I wouldn't touch him with a 7'1" Pole (Gortat).

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Myositis_Ossificans_of_the_Quadriceps

W,

Cam Neely had MOT.  Kawai maybe has "ossification" of the right quadriceps muscle.  Is it actually the same thing with a similar yet different name?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 05, 2018 4:11 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Buyer beware.  I want no part of this.  We have been stung too many times over the years. Len Bias, Reggie, probably so many we don't even know.

By the way, do any of you read The Player's Tribune?
What a story about Keyon Dooling. Heartbreaking.

I read the Dooling article. Someone posted is here earlier this week. Truly heartbreaking. It says a lot about Doc, Danny, Rondo and Bradley. They were very compassionate and helped him get started on his road to recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I wouldn't trade for Kawhi without a very, very thorough examination by our doctors.   No offense meant to the Spurs organization or their medical staff but he only played 9 games this year, a total of 210 minutes, and that doesn't even take into account whether it'd be worth it if we had to give up one of the J's.  If he has a chronic or progressive medical issue then I wouldn't trade for him because his contract would compel us to give up a lot to match salaries.

"Ossification"?  Sounds like one of my favorite Italian dishes, Osso Buco.  Losing my appetite a bit here.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Right now Tatum is in elite company, youngest player ever to have 4 20 point playoff games in a row, breaking the record of Kobe Bryant. Just tied Larry Bird in most consecutive 20 point playoff games in a row for a Celtic rookie, 4. He has unlimited all world potential, he’s not going anywhere....we better keep Jaylen too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat May 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I agree with dboss that Tatum could end up being a stretch 4.

Not a bad idea to replace Al Horford with Tatum 2-3 years from now.

Moving Tatum at the 4 allows Hayward and Brown at the 2 and 3 spot.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Tatum's ceiling is higher than Kawhi's.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi,
I think we're the only team that, even without 2 all-stars, can seamlessly cover 1 through 5: Smart, JB, JT and AH.
Sorry, not exactly on topic.
Getting back to JT for KL. Something's not very kosher with Leonard. Therefore, continuing with jewish theme: jasohn tatum baruch atah adonai eloheinu #18, #19, etc. melech ha olam, amen.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sun May 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Trading for Kawhi is just too expensive and he's too much of a risk. Build around Jaylen and Jayson.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down