Jayson Tatum on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard: ‘Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get'

Go down

Jayson Tatum on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard: ‘Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get' Empty Jayson Tatum on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard: ‘Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get'

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:39 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/11/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-on-paul-george-kawhi-leonard-those-are-two-great-examples-of-where-im-trying-to-get.html

Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard: ‘Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get'

Updated 6:51 AM;Today 2:16 AM

Jayson Tatum on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard: ‘Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get' DCXUFCEHSVDB3GNXBVF3FCDBJE
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum dunks during the first half of the team's NBA basketball game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

LOS ANGELES -- Jaylen Brown has had a lot of success against Paul George in his young career.

Last season, the Boston Celtics’ forward punched in a big one-handed dunk on George in a win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. On Wednesday, Tatum -- who finished with 30 points on 12-for-24 shooting in Boston’s 107-104 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Clippers -- dropped George to the floor in the final seconds of regulation, then drilled a 3-pointer to send the game to an extra period.

Boston Celtics
✔
@celtics
What. A. Play.

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1197392792042921984
9:54 PM - Nov 20, 2019

Tatum has long admired the Clippers’ duo.

“If you’re somebody like me, I’ve always looked up to Kawhi and PG,” Tatum said. "Especially PG, that was one of my favorite players. This is the opportunity you look for, especially the bright lights, big stage, you don’t want to back down. You want to compete and show them that you belong out here and just earn their respect. And I love competing against those guys.”

In many ways, the Celtics were hoping to measure themselves against the Clippers -- a generally agreed-upon contender. Boston has looked like a contender in the early going, and Wednesday’s gritty, hard-fought game did little to change that impression.

Similarly, Tatum saw the chance to play against Leonard and George as a measuring stick.

“Besides KD, those are the two best small forwards in the league,” Tatum said. "I look up to a lot of guys, especially those two, at my position. Those are two great examples of where I’m trying to get to. When I play against them, just try to compete.”

Brad Stevens said Tatum -- who dropped in 14 points in the third quarter -- got comfortable when he started making shots in the second half.

“He did a good job," Stevens said. "He was being guarded by Leonard, George or Beverley almost all night, and the guy just kept coming. He just kept coming at them, and it was great.”

For his part, George sees Tatum as a worthy opponent already, even at his young age.

“It wasn’t my first time in a Tatum highlight and it won’t be my last,” George told reporters after the game. “He’s a special talent.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down