Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010

+2
Nyce_1
dboss
6 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010 Empty Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010

Post by dboss Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 am

I had a feeling the Celtics would lose last night. But the loss has more implications with the injuries to Davis and Daniels and Sheed.

The Celtics were beaten literally on the glass, in the paint and up and down the court.

Their attempt to stop the pick and roll offense has resulted in far too many open 3 point shots. The Magic hit 13-25 for 52%. Their inability to check the alley opp play has resulted in loud dunks by Howard.

At some point you just have to wonder what the NBA refs have against Perkins. The 2 technical fouls and subsequent ejection were game changing events Perkins faces a possible suspension for game 6. Let's hope a review of the film will lead them to recind those bad calls against Perk

The ones that should have been called were the elbows by Howard as he hit Rajon in the face on a drive and of course the one that floored Davis.

It is unlikely that Davis will be playing in game 6. He has a concussion and will not be cleared to play on Friday. Hoepfully Rasheed's back will be ok. The Celtics will have to rely on Willimas to give them some minutes.

The solution to slowing down jameer and the Magic is for the Celtics to play better defense. A full court man to man cover on him by Rajon could throw things off for them a bit. And bring Nat in the game to give Rajon a blow.

PP and RA will need to get it going offensively and KG must have a strong game.

Game 6 should be fun

Keep the faith Celtics fans. We will win game 6.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010 Empty Re: Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010

Post by Nyce_1 Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

Man-o-man, what a series this has become.

First, I'm sorry for not being on here the last few days. My fiance came up for vacation, so limited time with her, is far more important than anything else. While she was here, I missed game 3; luckly, lol. Disappointed to hear that we quit before the game even started. I decided to watch game 4, because that what you do the last game of a series. Glad we bounced back with pride and played with heart. I fear what would've happened to the team if we got swept.

Now, game 5 comments. This is the Magic team I'm used to watching play. Attacking the rim, sharing the ball, playing with heart and hustle; where was this the first 3 games? Game 6 is going to be a war. I think we have to play near perfect ball, to pull out a W. I wouldn't mind Vince Carter making an appearance either.

The reffing is bad. Both teams are getting hosed equally. Magic got more bad calls earlier in the series, and I guess it's the Celtics' turn. I'm pretty sure Perk's tech(s) will be recinded. However, remember when Vince got that tech for his reaction to an instant replay, while walking off the court to bench? That tech stood. We'll see how the league handles it. If the suspension sticks, that's a huge blow to the lineup.

I hope Davis & Marquise are ok. Two things that have allowed great success for the Cs this post season, have been health & depth. In the matter of 1 game, you might lose both at a crucial point of the series. Rondo has spasms; Sheed has back issues; Pierce and his shoulder. This couldn't have happen at a worse time for you guys. (I'll take it though, as a Magic fan)

I have to miss game 6 since I'll be on the bus to see my woman for the long weekend. Hopefully I can get a radio feed.

Good luck fellas. We live another game.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010 Empty Re: Post Game Thread Celtics lose Game 5 to the Magic 113-92 5/26/2010

Post by bobheckler Thu May 27, 2010 12:30 pm

In my post-game post about game 5 I said "welcome to EC smashmouth basketball". The refs decided to take that literally and add emphasis to "mouth". My hockey fan friends like to joke about how "they went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out". Well, last night the sport was basketball.

1. I knew it was going to be a tough game for the Celtics within the first few minutes when the refs let Howard bulldoze Pierce in an obvious, but uncalled, offensive foul. I said to myself "another game where the refs are going to swallow their whistles and this is going to get mean and ugly before it's over".

2. Losing Perk was a big blow to the Celts. Not because of the negligible lost offense or even from the loss of blocked shots by him (he's #2 in the playoffs behind Howard) but because he's the centerpiece of Doc's strategy for beating the Orlando Magic. I know, I know it's hard to think of Kendrick "stone hands" Perkins as a centerpiece of a team with 4 all-stars on it, but he is. The heart of Doc's strategy is to play Dwight Howard straight-up, man-for-man so that we don't have to leave Orlando's shooters wide open. Take Perk away in the 2nd quarter, after already calling 2-3 fouls on Sheed and Davis each, and you have significantly altered the Celtics' game plan. I believe Perk's 2nd technical will almost certainly be repealed by the league and maybe even his first, since that wasn't a big deal either. The league doesn't tolerate badmouthing its officials, but I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie F. Rush just happens to quietly miss reffing a game that would normally be in his rotation. His calls on Perk were strictly "amateur hour".

3. In the double-technical situation with Perk and Gortat, I seem to remember the reason why Pierce was on the floor in the first place is because Gortat slung him down after the whistle had blown way earlier. I don't have TiVo, so maybe I'm thinking of another play, but if I'm right then the refs really blew that one too. That should have been a flagrant on Gortat and the double-technical incident should have just been the refs getting between those two players and warning them to behave themselves. Remember the Miami series, where Richardson stood over a downed Pierce and all hell broke loose? Gortat shouldn't have been anywhere near Pierce while he was on the floor.

4. The Magic shot 13-25 from 3. It is really, really hard for any team to win when the other team takes that many 3s and shoots over 50% on them. Not just because of the extra points the 3s give you, but the lack of long rebounds on the misses which give you the opportunity to run.

5. The Magic defense was excellent last night. Not just halfcourt, but fullcourt. There were usually 3 and sometimes 4 Magic players back on defense when Rondo wanted to run.

6. So far, Dwight Howard has: slapped KG in the face, elbowed him in the back of the head (which was upped by the league to a Flagrant 1), hit Rondo in the face, hit Pierce in the face and knocked out 290# Glen Davis. He thinks he's the proverbial 800# gorilla that can put his hands and elbows anywhere and he's getting away with it. Case in point, the KO on Davis. He went up with his left hand, had the ball blocked from behind by Nate (it was a foul by Nate, but they were letting stuff go on both ends) and then he brought his left hand, which had been going up towards the basket directly down onto the face of the player in front of him. How is going up with your left hand, getting it hit forward by a player coming from behind and then bringing that elbow straight down a natural motion?

7. Marquis Daniels must be wondering what he did in a previous life to warrant this. He goes into a slump, gets benched with a ton of DNPs and then when he finally gets inserted into a big game, gets a concussion from hitting his head into Gortat's chest. When you're up, you're up; and when you're not...

8. The Celtics must become more aggressive on the high screens. It's not enough to stop Nelson's and Redick's penetrations. They need to step up into their faces and intimidate the shot and make any effort at a pass difficult. The split second of open daylight Nelson and Redick are getting between the defense falling back on their man and Rondo catching up is all they needed last night to get a good shot off.

9. Tony Allen only played 11 minutes last night. More bad news from the injury front.

10. Afterthought addition to this post. Sheed came up HUGE! He said he won't be remembered for what he does during the regular season, but for what he does in the playoffs. Well, he's proving it now. Celtic high scorer with 21 points, 7-9 shooting, 2 blocks and only 18 minutes of play. Way to go Sheed!!

Time to come home and bring it home.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Man-o-man, what a series this has become.

First, I'm sorry for not being on here the last few days. My fiance came up for vacation, so limited time with her, is far more important than anything else. While she was here, I missed game 3; luckly, lol. Disappointed to hear that we quit before the game even started. I decided to watch game 4, because that what you do the last game of a series. Glad we bounced back with pride and played with heart. I fear what would've happened to the team if we got swept.

Now, game 5 comments. This is the Magic team I'm used to watching play. Attacking the rim, sharing the ball, playing with heart and hustle; where was this the first 3 games? Game 6 is going to be a war. I think we have to play near perfect ball, to pull out a W. I wouldn't mind Vince Carter making an appearance either.

The reffing is bad. Both teams are getting hosed equally. Magic got more bad calls earlier in the series, and I guess it's the Celtics' turn. I'm pretty sure Perk's tech(s) will be recinded. However, remember when Vince got that tech for his reaction to an instant replay, while walking off the court to bench? That tech stood. We'll see how the league handles it. If the suspension sticks, that's a huge blow to the lineup.

I hope Davis & Marquise are ok. Two things that have allowed great success for the Cs this post season, have been health & depth. In the matter of 1 game, you might lose both at a crucial point of the series. Rondo has spasms; Sheed has back issues; Pierce and his shoulder. This couldn't have happen at a worse time for you guys. (I'll take it though, as a Magic fan)

I have to miss game 6 since I'll be on the bus to see my woman for the long weekend. Hopefully I can get a radio feed.

Good luck fellas. We live another game.

nyce,

Glad you're back. I was hoping your absence was due to you having a life and not because you didn't want to come to a Celtic forum after the Magic losses.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyce_1 Thu May 27, 2010 1:19 pm

LOL, Bob, it definitely was hard to post on enemy boards, while your team was being outplayed. However, having a life came at the right time for me Very Happy.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:LOL, Bob, it definitely was hard to post on enemy boards, while your team was being outplayed. However, having a life came at the right time for me Very Happy.

nyce,

Friendly rivals, not enemies.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyce_1 Thu May 27, 2010 2:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:LOL, Bob, it definitely was hard to post on enemy boards, while your team was being outplayed. However, having a life came at the right time for me Very Happy.

nyce,

Friendly rivals, not enemies.

bob

with you guys and this board, touche'.

Nyce_1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Ni there,Nyce. I'm also glad you're back. After my brief experience on the Magic board, I was concerned that all Magi fans permit their social skills to be governed by whether their team wins or loses. But you didn't seem like the type, and obviously you're not.

Congratulations for having the right priorities in life. And let's hope for no more injuries in Game 6.

Take care,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm

The last time we were up 3-2 in a series with the Orlando Magic..........

Just sayin'
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Game 6 is a must win. The Magic have their confidence back after going down 0-3, and they have all the momentum after getting 2 straight wins.

Lets Go Celtics!!
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Trapped in the car, I've been listing to talk radio much of the day. I've definitely had more than my fill of Bruins analogies and "wisdom" that Game 6 is basically the equivalent of Game 7 for the Celtics. For my money, even if the players say that, it's a meaningless sentence designed to shed themselves of the media.

Game 7 means winner-take-all. The only team that can "take all" in Game 6 is the Celtics. Period. The Celtics have every reason to be highly motivated but not to be panicked. If injuries are a major issue, they'll give the fans something to worry and gnash their teeth about; but they'll give the players something to focus on overcoming. Regardless of the specifics of the situation, I expect the Celtics to arrive at tomorrow's game in a much more positive, constructive frame of mind than many of their fans apparenty are.

In one sense, this is not really Game 6 but, rather Game 5. In many
Celtics preliminary series through the years, the teams wind up splitting the first four games, and Game 5 was at the home of the higher-seeded Celtics. In this case, because the Celtics muddied the water by winning three of the first four games, Game 5 (an away game) was not as pivotal as many Game 5s are, and Game 6 (played in Boston) assumes the more pivotal role. I'd guess we can count of the crowd to do your part.

Speaking of which, WEEI's Glen Ordway (whom I generally don't think a lot of but has improved in recent years). mentioned a discussion he had with referee Earl Strom many years ago on a plane. They got to talking about why home teams often get the benefit of more calls. Earl said, "There are only two referees out there (which there were in those days). We're trying to keep up with what 10 guys are doing. So, on many occasions, I actually "hear" a play that eludes my eyesight because the fans' reactions tip me off. And, because those reactions favor the home team, it's just human nature that my calls might favor the home team a bit." I don't know what, if anything, this proves, but I just thought it was interesting. I assume it's also why the refs might catch the visiting retailiator in a conflict started by a home player.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 am

One of the best explanations of "home bias" that I have read in a long time and it makes perfect sense.

He will hear the crowd react emphasizing and also see the fans on the opposite side of the court "behind the play" react in different ways.

Good food for thought, thanks Sam.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 am

Sam wrote:Trapped in the car, I've been listing to talk radio much of the day. I've definitely had more than my fill of Bruins analogies and "wisdom" that Game 6 is basically the equivalent of Game 7 for the Celtics. For my money, even if the players say that, it's a meaningless sentence designed to shed themselves of the media.

Game 7 means winner-take-all. The only team that can "take all" in Game 6 is the Celtics. Period. The Celtics have every reason to be highly motivated but not to be panicked. If injuries are a major issue, they'll give the fans something to worry and gnash their teeth about; but they'll give the players something to focus on overcoming. Regardless of the specifics of the situation, I expect the Celtics to arrive at tomorrow's game in a much more positive, constructive frame of mind than many of their fans apparenty are.

In one sense, this is not really Game 6 but, rather Game 5. In many
Celtics preliminary series through the years, the teams wind up splitting the first four games, and Game 5 was at the home of the higher-seeded Celtics. In this case, because the Celtics muddied the water by winning three of the first four games, Game 5 (an away game) was not as pivotal as many Game 5s are, and Game 6 (played in Boston) assumes the more pivotal role. I'd guess we can count of the crowd to do your part.

Speaking of which, WEEI's Glen Ordway (whom I generally don't think a lot of but has improved in recent years). mentioned a discussion he had with referee Earl Strom many years ago on a plane. They got to talking about why home teams often get the benefit of more calls. Earl said, "There are only two referees out there (which there were in those days). We're trying to keep up with what 10 guys are doing. So, on many occasions, I actually "hear" a play that eludes my eyesight because the fans' reactions tip me off. And, because those reactions favor the home team, it's just human nature that my calls might favor the home team a bit." I don't know what, if anything, this proves, but I just thought it was interesting. I assume it's also why the refs might catch the visiting retailiator in a conflict started by a home player.

Sam

Sam,

Exactly so.

Every game has been "Game 7" for the Magic since going down 0-3. That doesn't mean it's "game 7" for everyone else too. Silly hyping by the media to maintain a level of suspense (and therefore viewership).

I'm not completely cozy with the Earl Strom (a great referree, btw) thought process. Suppose the initiator, who generated the crowd noise, was the visitor and Earl turns his head and sees the homie retaliate? Was Luscutoff a perfect gentleman on the road? I doubt it.

Still, interesting insight on the thought process of a referree. No excuse like that now, though, with 3 refs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down