Sam
swedeinestonia
bigpygme
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Don't Go, Tom Thibodeau Empty Don't Go, Tom Thibodeau

Post by bigpygme Fri May 28, 2010 12:53 pm

just wanted to discuss the possible departure of our Chief of Defense and all-around top assistant coach. we sure could use him and i hope he stays around for a while yet, but what are the odds? what are the odds when other teams watch the suffocating D that Boston has been playing of late ? (well, not of LATE-late, but you know what i mean.) everybody wants a piece of that, and there's been knocking at his door.

of course, it's the buy-in by KG and other locker room leaders that has really made it work, and TT won't find that just anywhere. and he's seemingly been happy here, as well as successful. but there will be a time for him to go.

i just hope it's not anytime soon.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Don't Go, Tom Thibodeau Empty Re: Don't Go, Tom Thibodeau

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Could be he is just trying to see what the market value is and thus increase his paycheck in Boston.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

I think he really wants to become head coach. I'm rather surprised that teams can negotiate for such things with the playoffs under way. I don't like the presence of even a minor distraction for the team.

It would be a shame if the Celtics lost Thibs only to lose Doc a short while later, simply because of the sequence of the events. I wish Thibs and other teams could wait until Doc makes his decision. But I guess that's part of the negotiating strategy. Force a decision before alternatives crystallize.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 pm

It would be a shame to lose Tibbs and then Doc a short while later. I think DA has had to have conversations with Doc about that but I could be wrong.

I don't like the distraction either. It doesn't work for anyone, fans, players, and other coaches. What ever happened to waiting until the playoffs end?

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Hoopdeedoo wrote:It would be a shame to lose Tibbs and then Doc a short while later. I think DA has had to have conversations with Doc about that but I could be wrong.

I don't like the distraction either. It doesn't work for anyone, fans, players, and other coaches. What ever happened to waiting until the playoffs end?

Hoop

hoop,

I think it's a combination of a couple of things.

1. I think Sam has a point. It's the management version of the fast break. Take advantage of the other team when they're not ready.

2. The draft is coming up. I don't blame a GM for wanting next year's coach to be on board come draft day so he can provide his input into the team's selection process.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Where will you go Tom Thibodeau, a Celtics nation turns its longing eyes to you..
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm

5/29/10

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Tom Thibodeaux is waiting for an offer from New Orleans, but prefers Chicago.

Sounds like he's expecting to move on, which means he must know something about Doc's future.

bummer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sat May 29, 2010 2:31 pm

well, dammitall ! bobh's yahoo sports scenario makes it pretty clear, Tom is going to go somewhere next year. speculation that he doesn't want to be a head coach is proving groundless.

can't wait to see what DA's plan is. i can only hope he's got a good one.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 31, 2010 2:35 pm

This on 5/31/10, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtC.w90nZYrcASQLY68z1a28vLYF?slug=ys-thibodeauhornets053010

Also, this from the Boston Herald on Doc Rivers and how Danny wants him to stay.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100531doc_rivers_answers_call_to_duty_seasons_work_may_be_best_yet/

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 am

Update from Hoopsworld, by way of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, 6/2/10:

The New Orleans Hornets could have a new coach in place perhaps by the end of this week, according to sources familiar with the search.

New Orleans is negotiating with Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau to fill its head-coaching vacancy and hopes to receive an answer from him before the NBA Finals commence Thursday, when Boston begins their seven-game series with the Los Angeles Lakers.

LOUSY f-in timing.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:48 pm

They are trying to force Thibodeau's hand here and make him make a decision before the finals. Does that mean that he no longer can be on the bench?
He is still under contract with the Celtics, right? I assume all of this interviewing stuff is being allowed because they are being good to him. Could they stop him before the playoffs are over from signing with anyone?

I heard on TV that McHale is going to be interviewed for the Chicago job. Isn't that the one that Thib's wants?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Rosalie

Perhaps DA is playing the BIGGEST bluffing game of all to the entire league that has openings. Perhaps he has told Tibbs some stuff reguarding sticking around, we will never know about.

Of course I'm hoping he sticks around and might be searching for anything that makes a little sense.

Tibbs has his team right here and NO WHERE else !!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 pm

With the Bulls gunning for LBJ, I don't see Tom T ending up there. He's obviously incredibly talented and deserves to be a head coach, and I have no doubt he'll have a new gig in a couple of weeks. But if I'm LBJ or his advisors, there's no way I agree to go to a team that doesn't have a proven head coach. so I think for the BUlls they're looking at Thibs as a low-cost potentially high-reward candidate that they would hire if LBJ or Wade doesn't come. But that process is at least a month from playing out.

New Orleans is being smart, and is putting the screws to Thibs to give them an answer this week. That's good business. Offer him the sure thing but put a short fuse on the process to limit the competition. I'm assuming they'll make a deal b/c a bird in the hand..., and it's a good situation for Thibs to prove himself as the top guy.

I'm assuming from his name he might have Louisiana roots, as it's a Creole/ Cajun name. Am I right to assume that ?
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 pm

I don't where Thibs grew up, but he attended Salem State College (near Boston) and later coached that team. He was also an assistant coach of the Knicks for something like seven years. (I wonder why his defensive genius never took hold there.)

I understand your reasoning for thinking James wouldn't necessary want Thibs as a coach. But Lebron just lost unexpectedly because of great defense. Might he not be attracted to the coach who designed that defense and also assume he (Lebron) might be able to have greater control over the offense himself?

Not that I want Thibs to go anywhere. I'm hoping he'll stay at least until Doc Rivers makes a decision about his future. Regardless of where Thibs was raised, he certainly has strong roots in the northeast.

Man, IF Doc decides to leave, I'd love to see Thibs as Celtics head coach and Don Nelson as assistant in charge of the offense. The team wouldn't have to learn a whole new defensive scheme, which could induce them to keep holdovers such as Tony and Ray. And I believe Nellie has to goods to adapt an offense to the idiosyncrasies of the veteran players.

I'm sure it will never happen, and I hope Doc stays.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:38 am

Two years ago, I remember talk of Thib going...and I was thinking why doesn't DA just tell Thib...when Doc leaves..or moves upstairs or whatever...It's yours...
Probably can't work that way but if you could keep him around to take Doc's place that would be ideal....but maybe he's ready now to move in to the lead role.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 am

It could be that the challenge of taking on a new team and setting up the great defense he is known for is what is driving him. There are some guys who remain assistant coaches for their whole careers, and then there are others who look for a new challenge every few years. He has done everything here, now he might feel that it is time to move on.

it will be disappointing to see him take another job and then have Doc Rivers leave. He could just have moved up into the lead position right away. I guess we will have to wait until the playoffs are over to find the answers.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 am

According to this article, Thib turned down the Hornets job but "is almost guaranteed to end up with the Bulls".

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/thibodeau_nixes_hornets_MZOGoHEnHUPrjyVCUdh9lK#ixzz0pmyImx4J

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

This tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski, of Yahoo Sports:

Says coaching friend of Boston assistant Tom Thibodeau, "This is typical Thib. He can't make a decision about anything." Doesn't bode well.

Uh, it's boding well for us, Adrian.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:14 am

This excerpt from an article by the Chicago Sun-Times:

Multiple media sources have reported that the Bulls are Thibodeau's top choice. A member of the Finals traveling party corrected that thought Wednesday night, noting: ''Tibbs' first choice is the Celtics if Doc leaves or if he is given a guarantee that he will succeed Doc after next season. Anything after that is mere conjecture by media chasing media with core facts blending into imaginative projections.''

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 pm

It makes sense that he would want to be considered the top choice here in Boston. I just don't know if the Celtics would make that kind of a guarantee. Yesterday I heard that Kevin McHale said he is going to be interviewed for the Chicago job. That is interesting also, because many times the rumor has been that if Doc does decide to leave, McHale would be the successor. All conjecture as far as I can tell. Until the playoffs are over and Rivers makes his decision, I don't see anything happening. It is so obvious that Thibodeau would want to stay here and take over.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 pm

babyskyhook wrote:With the Bulls gunning for LBJ, I don't see Tom T ending up there. He's obviously incredibly talented and deserves to be a head coach, and I have no doubt he'll have a new gig in a couple of weeks. But if I'm LBJ or his advisors, there's no way I agree to go to a team that doesn't have a proven head coach. so I think for the BUlls they're looking at Thibs as a low-cost potentially high-reward candidate that they would hire if LBJ or Wade doesn't come. But that process is at least a month from playing out.

New Orleans is being smart, and is putting the screws to Thibs to give them an answer this week. That's good business. Offer him the sure thing but put a short fuse on the process to limit the competition. I'm assuming they'll make a deal b/c a bird in the hand..., and it's a good situation for Thibs to prove himself as the top guy.

I'm assuming from his name he might have Louisiana roots, as it's a Creole/ Cajun name. Am I right to assume that ?

bsh,

It is a French-Canadien name. It's roots are in Acadia, which is kind-of my area of the globe. Maine has Acadian National Park over by Bar Harbor. Cajuns are the result of the Great Upheaval, not the source. I thought that Thibs was from the greater Boston area, which makes sense.

History of Acadians:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Acadians

Evangeline, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/books/longfellow/evangeline00.html

After some of the Acadians were allowed back to Canada, they found that the best land was taken by the Brits, so many of them moved down into New England to work in the mills. Many areas still are populated by "Francophiles", as Sam refered to them in another thread.

The guy that installed a couple of my floors in my house is a Thibideau. My wife's family all have roots in Canada. I worked in an office where most of one entire department spoke French (the Canadian version) as a second language. Many of them had parents that still could not (or would not) speak English.

Those guys were funny, they said things like:

Half of you three guys, come with me...
Throw me down the stairs my shoes...
I went home to see my wife and there she was, gone...

Anyway, I hope that explains his name and it's origin.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:22 pm

gyso wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:With the Bulls gunning for LBJ, I don't see Tom T ending up there. He's obviously incredibly talented and deserves to be a head coach, and I have no doubt he'll have a new gig in a couple of weeks. But if I'm LBJ or his advisors, there's no way I agree to go to a team that doesn't have a proven head coach. so I think for the BUlls they're looking at Thibs as a low-cost potentially high-reward candidate that they would hire if LBJ or Wade doesn't come. But that process is at least a month from playing out.

bsh,

It is a French-Canadien name. It's roots are in Acadia, which is kind-of my area of the globe. Maine has Acadian National Park over by Bar Harbor. Cajuns are the result of the Great Upheaval, not the source. I thought that Thibs was from the greater Boston area, which makes sense.

History of Acadians:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Acadians

Evangeline, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/books/longfellow/evangeline00.html

After some of the Acadians were allowed back to Canada, they found that the best land was taken by the Brits, so many of them moved down into New England to work in the mills. Many areas still are populated by "Francophiles", as Sam refered to them in another thread.

The guy that installed a couple of my floors in my house is a Thibideau. My wife's family all have roots in Canada. I worked in an office where most of one entire department spoke French (the Canadian version) as a second language. Many of them had parents that still could not (or would not) speak English.

Those guys were funny, they said things like:

Half of you three guys, come with me...
Throw me down the stairs my shoes...
I went home to see my wife and there she was, gone...

Anyway, I hope that explains his name and it's origin.

gyso

gyso,

They're practically "Yogi-isms".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Bob,

My favorite is the first one,

Half of you three guys, come with me

I say it to a small (3) group of people and watch them try to figure it out.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:39 pm

This from today's Globe:

Four teams have approached the Celtics about interviewing Thibodeau: the Hornets, Nets, Bulls, and Clippers. Thibodeau interviewed with the first three and has an offer from the Hornets. He apparently wants to wait until the Finals are over to make a decision, but the Hornets want one soon or will offer the job to Portland assistant Monty Williams.

Thibodeau has assured the Celtics that the process will not be a distraction during the Finals, and Ainge is not bothered by Thibodeau’s popularity.

“I think he would be a good choice and I don’t know where the negotiations stand,’’ Ainge said. “I do not think it’s a distraction at all. I think the players are focused and Tibs is focused. He wants to win a championship, and it obviously gives him a lot of credibility to whatever job he goes to next year with another championship ring.’’

Ainge said Thibodeau is likely in his final days as a Celtics coach.

“I think he’s gone,’’ Ainge said. “I guess he’ll be somewhere next year because he will get his chance.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Well, Danny, why don't you just come out and say you've got no plan to keep him?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next