NYCelt
Shamrock1000
dboss
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

POST GAME UTAH - HOME - Page 2 Empty Re: POST GAME UTAH - HOME

Post by dbrown4 Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeah, I was being a bit optimistic. I was putting Hayward at anticipated production, plus Tatum. I don't want to say we can count on Irving for 30 every night, but he's taking no prisoners now.

I just can't understand why Brad is not curbing the 3's for a more balanced offensive attack.

I don't know if Horford is ever going to be a big scorer for us. He is the glue, though. Contributes a lot like a Marcus Smart does intangibly. You have to have at least one of those on your team to make it to the finals.

2008 team figured it out a lot quicker it seems or seemed at the time vs. the 2018 version.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:00 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:I do not think the pick in roll has replaced post up plays.  Afterall the pick and role is one of the oldest plays in basketball but with bigs able to stretch the floor we probably see more pick and pops.  The Celtics get very little scoring out of the post from the Pick and roll.  

I think once Hayward starts looking to shoot more things should improve.  He is just trying to fit in and always looks to pass the ball.  I would prefer to see him shoot.

Really check out Willie Cauley Stein or Capella, both no post moves, almost all their scores are on rolls or offensive boards. In the old days bigs posted, I see less and less.

You would pick the two guys that are good in the pick and roll and that is how they score. You can throw Gobert in their as well. However, I did not say there were no bigs still getting points in the paint off the pick and roll. I said that is does not replace post offense and that it is not new. It has always been part of the game for as long as i can remember but the only deviation is that centers can pop. I think we could use Williams like Houston uses Capella. There are still bigs that can post up and score and there are big guys that can score in the post with an added skill to shoot from the outside.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:22 pm

112288 wrote:dBrown

Lofty amounts when comparing what we have now to the past Big 3.

I think we are at 1.5.   1 = Irving, .5 = Horford.  That is it!

Brown and Tatum cannot be included in the conversation.  Haywood is still finding his sea legs and until then cannot be factored into the equation. If at top performance he is best a .75.

I think a lot of fans including myself had it all figured out on paper. If Tatum and Brown and Rozier were that good last year just think how good they will be this year once Hayward and Kyrie are healthy.

I did have concerns about how the minutes would be distributed (posted about it before the season) and sure enough they have a big issue with that now. Rozier looks to be in a funk, Brown has regressed and only Tatum has maintained a high level of play. Hayward is on his way back but he is still trying to figure out where he fits in.

Al Horford continues his decline in scoring and rebounding.

To be honest all those things are not that important to me at this point. My concern is with the offensive schemes. I do not care who is healthy or not or who is hitting or missing. I hate this offense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 pm

dBoss "My concern is with the offensive schemes."

AMEN............THEY SUCK.........THEY ARE OLD AND TIRED AND ARE THE SAME OLD SAME OLD SETS AS LAST YEAR AND PREDICTABLE!

STEVENS BETTER CHANGE HIS OFFENSE SETS OR HE WILL LOSE THIS TEAM AND THE ABILITY TO BRING BETTER TALENT VIA FREE AGENCY NEXT YEAR!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:38 pm

112288 wrote:dBoss "My concern is with the offensive schemes."

AMEN............THEY SUCK.........THEY ARE OLD AND TIRED AND ARE THE SAME OLD SAME OLD SETS AS LAST YEAR AND PREDICTABLE!

STEVENS BETTER CHANGE HIS OFFENSE SETS OR HE WILL LOSE THIS TEAM AND THE ABILITY TO BRING BETTER TALENT VIA FREE AGENCY NEXT YEAR!

The 3 point shot is here to stay ever since Chris Ford made the 1st 3 point shot in NBA history.  The proliferation of that shot at the expense of other scoring options is the problem.  How does Stevens go back to the team and tell them to be mindful of when and where they take those shots.  The entire team has been green lighted.  When asked about this Stevens said something to the effect that if the shot is open they should keep shooting.  There appears to be little discipline.  If a guy shoots bad from one side of the court or the other he should not be shooting from that side.  If a guy is just a poor three point shooter why on earth should he be encouraged to keep taking them?  Now Stevens has turned Baynes into a stretch 5.  

They have to get scoring in the paint from cuts and drives to the basket, fast break layups. pick and role execution and post up opportunities.  The Celtics are a six shooter with one bullet.  

Here is a disturbing trend.   Last year Al Horford posted 15 double doubles in 72 games. That averages out to a double double every 4.8 games.  This year he is averaging a career high in 3 point FGA at 4.1.  He is shooting them at 303%.  In 16 games he has 1 double double or one double double every .0625 games.  That is a big drop off.

We need more rebounding from our center position.

I must remind myself again that it is still going to take time for this team to play better as a unit.  Individual 3 point shooting from key guys could improve (Rozier .339, Brown .273%, Horford .303% Smart .255%, Hayward .298%.   That represents 5 of the top 8 rotation players.  That is pretty bad.

Can this team shoot 40% from deep on a high volume of attempts?

Good thing the season is still young.  There is time to make some adjustments.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 pm

dboss wrote:
112288 wrote:dBoss "My concern is with the offensive schemes."

The 3 point shot is here to stay ever since Chris Ford made the 1st 3 point shot in NBA history.  The proliferation of that shot at the expense of other scoring options is the problem.  How does Stevens go back to the team and tell them to be mindful of when and where they take those shots.  The entire team has been green lighted.  When asked about this Stevens said something to the effect that if the shot is open they should keep shooting.  There appears to be little discipline.  If a guy shoots bad from one side of the court or the other he should not be shooting from that side.  If a guy is just a poor three point shooter why on earth should he be encouraged to keep taking them?  Now Stevens has turned Baynes into a stretch 5.  

They have to get scoring in the paint from cuts and drives to the basket, fast break layups. pick and role execution and post up opportunities.  The Celtics are a six shooter with one bullet.  

Here is a disturbing trend.   Last year Al Horford posted 15 double doubles in 72 games. That averages out to a double double every 4.8 games.  This year he is averaging a career high in 3 point FGA at 4.1.  He is shooting them at 303%.  In 16 games he has 1 double double or one double double every .0625 games.  That is a big drop off.

We need more rebounding from our center position.

I must remind myself again that it is still going to take time for this team to play better as a unit.  Individual 3 point shooting from key guys could improve (Rozier .339, Brown .273%, Horford .303% Smart .255%, Hayward .298%.   That represents 5 of the top 8 rotation players.  That is pretty bad.

Can this team shoot 40% from deep on a high volume of attempts?

Good thing the season is still young.  There is time to make some adjustments.

My biggest question and concern.

How does a team take a center anywhere in the 1st round and not give him minutes to see what he can do. Especially if that player specializes in rebounding and defense, with good shot-blocking ability, and those are primary team needs.

OK, there's my complaint for today.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:58 pm

NYCelt

It is a good question. I think that Stevens has more than enough on his plate just getting all the other guys to play together. It will be difficult to find minutes for Williams. But I do think it is something that he will have to do. We have only seen a few cameos from Williams and even the casual observer would say, gee did you see that. I think he can help on the glass. I think he can help protect the paint and I think he has the specific skill level for some lob passes. Unless Boston goes into a deep slump we probably will not see the kid. I would not mind seeing him play some with Al. Let Al stretch and he can give us a more athletic post presence .
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I agree we need more rebounding

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down