What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft

3 posters

Go down

What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft Empty What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:31 pm

What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft

"I said, ‘Danny, you need to take him in the first round.'"

What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft Download-1-9-850x478$large
Terry Rozier Terry Rozier reacts after hitting a three-point basket. –AP Photo/Gerald Herbert

By Nicole Yang  9:07 AM

On the latest episode of his podcast, “The Pitino Press,” former Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino couldn’t stop gushing about his guest: Celtics point guard Terry Rozier.

Pitino, however, isn’t someone who jumped on the “Scary Terry” bandwagon during Boston’s electrifying playoff run last season. The 66-year-old has been singing Rozier’s praises ever since he recruited the Ohio native to Louisville, where Rozier played two seasons before declaring for the 2015 NBA Draft. Leading up to the draft, Pitino wasn’t shy about pushing for the projected second-round pick, particularly to Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

Rozier said he worked out for 17 or 18 teams, including the Celtics twice. He said there were four other prospects with him in Boston, but he doesn’t remember who they were. What he does remember is the grueling 55-shot shooting drill.

“I did it twice,” Rozier told Pitino. “I extended my workout, like I went longer than the drill was supposed to be just so I could do the drill again.”

According to Pitino, Ainge phoned to ask, “Is he always like this?”

“He’s never seen anybody do it a second time,” Pitino said. “My response was, ‘Danny, look, if you can get him in the first round, you’re going to get a hell of a basketball player.’ He was intrigued by what he said was the work ethic you had.”

In 2015, the Celtics had two first-round draft picks (No. 16 and No. 28) and two second-rounders (No. 33 and No. 45). Pitino, naturally, was a strong proponent that Ainge draft Rozier just outside the lottery at No. 16.

“When I first talked to Danny, I said, ‘Danny, you need to take him in the first round,’” Pitino recalled. “He said, ‘Well, Rick, I can’t take him at [No.] 16, I’ll get second-guessed.’ I said, ‘Danny, you won a championship, you’re Danny Ainge, man, you could do anything now. I said, ‘I’m telling you he’s worth it.’ He started laughing.”

Per Pitino, Ainge called him again either the night before or the morning of the draft and informed him that he was still interested in selecting Rozier with the later first-round pick. But Pitino insisted waiting would not work in Boston’s favor.

“I said, ‘He’s moved up, Danny, I think there are three teams going to take him at [No.] 24, 25, or 26, you need to take him at [No.] 16 and he’ll be a great pick for you,’” he relayed.

Pitino said former Celtics assistant coach Walter McCarty then called him and whispered on the phone, “We’re taking him at [No.] 16.”

The Celtics did end up drafting Rozier with the 16th overall pick. After the 24-year-old got his first chance as a starting point guard last year, helping lead an injured-plagued squad to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, Pitino said he texted Ainge: “What do you think of the 16th pick now?”

bob
MY NOTE:  He's not looking that great right now, he has hurt his big contract opportunity with his play so far this year, but despite his weak start to this year I think Danny was a genius. On this board I believe that only NYCelt loved the pick, or am I forgetting someone? Scary Terry is the ultimate gymrat, and it's paying off.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft Empty Re: What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft

Post by worcester Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Bob, I liked picking Terry at the time, because my son saw him destroy either FL or FL State in college play.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft Empty Re: What Rick Pitino told Danny Ainge about Terry Rozier before the 2015 NBA Draft

Post by wideclyde Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am

Rozier has made constant and steady progress since being drafted by the Celtics, but despite a real nice last one third of last season he may never quite be an NBA superstar or earn the huge salary that might come with super star status. He is, unfortunately, not playing quite as well this year so his rise to stardom has hit a bump in the road at least for the time being.

He is a very good NBA player and will continue to be such a player probably for 8-10 more years, and may earn a starting position with some team (perhaps even in Boston) before he hangs up his sneakers.

Relating to his being drafted by Ainge, there is no question that Rozier has been a good and very valuable player for the Celtics. A+ grade for Danny Ainge on his drafting of Rozier.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down