The Price of Theis?

+4
gyso
cowens/oldschool
kdp59
wideclyde
8 posters

Go down

The Price of Theis? Empty The Price of Theis?

Post by wideclyde Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 am

Although the NBA has been aware of Daniel Theis as a lower level (and, inexpensive) rotation piece since around this time last season, his performance last night against a weak Bulls team may have helped earn this guy a much better contract when his Boston deal expires next summer.

There now can be a bunch of teams who might think that he will be much more than a bottom of the rotation guy that he has been in Boston and may be willing to
double, triple and perhaps quadruple or fintuple (is 'fintupe' even a word?) his yearly salary for next season. I am sure that if Ainge had plans to keep Theis he would have to increase this guy's salary, but now he may have to match a bunch of much higher offers from other teams.

Theis has seemingly fully recovered from last spring's knee operation, is still young enough to not be considered 'old', has about 8 years of pro experience although only one year of current NBA experience, has shown that he can play small ball center as well as both forward spots, plays good to excellent defense, can run and can shoot.

Of course, showing well (like last night) a bunch more times will develop his reliability, but I hope that he has not priced himself out of Boston for the 2020 season and beyond.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

The Price of Theis? Empty Re: The Price of Theis?

Post by kdp59 Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 am

I;m not sure anything Theis does this year will price him out of being a Celtic after the year.

however Danny MAY have to make a big decision as to signings which could involve Theis, IMO.

sign Irving to a $35M deal

OR

sign
Rozier at around $12-15M
Morris at $10-12 M
Theis at $5-8M

IF those are the numbers that play out, Danny may have tough decision to make, at least IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 am

Lebron played for years in his peak at below max so Heat could keep some role players, hope Kyrie could do the same, maybe sign for 28 million, is that soo bad? Don’t be a selfish fuck like Chris Paul, even Stephen A is 2nd guessing Paul, saying you couldn’t sign for 30 mill, to help your team keep some assets?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm

The only problem for the Celtics to sign Theis next season is that we do not have Bird rights on him. We cannot match any offer that exceeds a baby Bird rights amount.

That is how we lost Greg Stiemsma. It didn't take much more than we offered and he took it. I think he regretted it later, but he took a little more money and maybe a second year to go back to Minny. They waived him a year later.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:54 pm

One great game by Theis and we are concerned about resigning him.  

There are going to be a lot of changes to the roster next year or maybe sooner.

I expect that both Rozier and Morris will leave via free agency and Theis may be gone as well.  

The Celtics are looking at 4 first round picks and they are likely to use them to replace Rozier and Morris.  As long as they keep Smart which they should and resign Kyrie which they should, Rozier is gone.

Morris is good but no way they are paying him market value.

No way KI should take short money.   He already outplayed his contract.  

Too many assets and picks to be concerned with losing a few players.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm

To me it is not just one great game. Before he got hurt last year, he had become a valuable member of the team off the bench. He is a unique player. Sometimes you just do not think he is doing anything, and then you look at the stats and he has a ton of rebounds, a block here or there, and a decent point total.

Suggesting again that Terry Rozier is a ready replacement for Kyrie just blows my mind. I am not
ready to hand the reigns over to him. I want Kyrie.

I have no knowledge of the cap so I cannot come up with a scenerio of how they can go about it. All I know is that a championship team needs players like Theis on their roster.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:To me it is not just one great game.  Before he got hurt last year, he had become a valuable member of the team off the bench.  He is a unique player. Sometimes you just do not think he is doing anything, and then you  look at the stats and he has a ton of rebounds, a block here or there, and a decent point total.

Suggesting again that Terry Rozier is a ready replacement for Kyrie just blows my mind. I am not
ready to hand the reigns over to him. I want Kyrie.

I have no knowledge of the cap so I cannot come up with a scenerio of how they can go about it.  All I know is that a championship team needs players like Theis on their roster.

I love the way he plays too. According to Sportrac they have a QA next year for $1,818,520. They still can keep him based on that. So what's all the fuss about.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/daniel-theis-23828/

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Dboss,

No fuss, just salary cap reality. This is exactly the issue we faced with the Steamer.

We had a QO with him back then as well. Since we were over the cap, we had to use an exception to pay more than the QO amount. We had no Bird rights then, same as now. The rest of the league knew it and it only takes one.

Theis is better than the Steamer was. There will be more suitors.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Does anybody miss the steamer?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:48 pm

IMO, we did back then. But that was not the point.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Question: Is, as I have read, GSW far into Luxury tax? Why is it so easy for them to maintain a quality team not caring about pay. No one bothered offering Iggy or Livingston $$$? Wyc has said repeatedly that he is willing to pay a luxury tax to keep his young team together (or at least those who want to stay).

I will say, I was riding in a car the other night while the Celtics were playing Chicago. The Chicago announcer was absolutely drooling all over himself about Rozier. It really reached a ridiculous point. So, there is one guy who I feel will be gone. February could be an interesting time in the NBA if all the teams are so worried about cap and luxury tax.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

gyso wrote:Dboss,

No fuss, just salary cap reality.  This is exactly the issue we faced with the Steamer.  

We had a QO with him back then as well.   Since we were over the cap, we had to use an exception to pay more than the QO amount.  We had no Bird rights then, same as now.  The rest of the league knew it and it only takes one.

Theis is better than the Steamer was.  There will be more suitors.

GYSO

I do not know about the Steamer situation but what about the MLE

The Celtics still have some options with respect to salary exceptions although the amounts are reduced for tax payers. They can still use their mid-level exception to sign Theis. I think that as long as they are below the apron they can use their tax payer MLE which is around $5 million.

This would of course add more to their luxury tax payment.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,
I like Theis. He's hustle type of a player. Also, he knows how to be in the right place at the right time. These are very important qualities for a defender.
I consider him 10th on the team. He's still learning and he'll be 27 next year.
I'd keep him for $3-5M.
Of course, there's always a possibility of him be a part of a trade package...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:57 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:Dboss,

No fuss, just salary cap reality.  This is exactly the issue we faced with the Steamer.  

We had a QO with him back then as well.   Since we were over the cap, we had to use an exception to pay more than the QO amount.  We had no Bird rights then, same as now.  The rest of the league knew it and it only takes one.

Theis is better than the Steamer was.  There will be more suitors.

GYSO

I do not know about the Steamer situation but what about the MLE

The Celtics still have some options with respect to salary exceptions although the amounts are reduced for tax payers.  They can still use their mid-level exception to sign Theis.  I think that as long as they are below the apron they can use their tax payer MLE which is around $5 million.

This would of course add more to their luxury tax payment.

Yes, the Tax Payer MLE will work. I didn't realize it had gotten so high.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap#Q25

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Hey Gyso...how is the weather down there????? Our weather reporters up here are saying you have SNOW??? We haven't seen a flurry in weeks!!!! Stay warm!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi,
Tonight will be a good test for DT: Baynes and Yabu are out and AH is doubtful (most probably out).

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down