RosalieTCeltics
Sam
bobheckler
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Injury Report Empty Injury Report

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:40 am

As we approach and move through the Finals series I thought it might be helpful to have a separate thread that addresses injuries to players of both teams, their prognoses and impacts on the game. We could also have new threads after each game, but IMO I think injuries are a big enough factor in a winner-take-all series to have some visibility.

Besides, where else are you going to get to discuss iliotibial bands?

As of 6/2/10:

Rondo
Rondo declares himself "67% today. I won't be 100% by Thursday (game 1), but I'll be like 94.7".

Rasheed
Rasheed Wallace’s back is improving, a fact evident even by watching him walk into Pauley Pavilion for Celtics practice yesterday.

“He is feeling better,” said Doc Rivers, who nonetheless kept him from contact at the session. “He actually made it all the way to the omelet station today without anyone getting it for him.

“We’re hoping that he can practice by (today). But he did say for the first time in about a week that he actually felt a little better, so that’s a good sign for us."

Daniels

The Celtics were lamenting the fact that Marquis Daniels might not be ready to help with Kobe Bryant for a while, but they might get a pleasant surprise.

“I’m feeling better,” said Daniels, who suffered a concussion in Game 5 vs. Orlando. “Hopefully I can play in Game 1. I was a little dizzy, and the noise was bothering me a little bit, but I’m getting better.”

Bynum
Andrew Bynum spoke to reporters after practice Tuesday while wearing his complete Lakers home uniform for promo spots for the Finals. But his outlook a day after having 2½ fluid ounces drained from his right knee Monday, or "a couple syringes worth" as the Los Angeles starting center put it, wasn't quite as bright as his crisp yellow jersey.

"It feels about the same, to be honest," Bynum said about his right knee that has a slight tear of the meniscus that will require surgery to repair it in the offseason. "The procedure was good. I think I just need to fight through it until we get the surgery done. This is the last hurrah; this is the last show, so I'm ready to give everything."

Bynum said the procedure has alleviated pressure from his hamstring tendon and his iliotibial band, the muscles that run along the outer portion of the leg.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Injury Report Empty Re: Injury Report

Post by Sam Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks, Bob, for starting this thread. You may have saved me a look at the Boston papers. I was actually looking for a little more reassurance regarding Rondo (I was hoping for something more in the 96% range) and especially Sheed, who I believe could be a major key to this series.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Could it be that Doc is playing one of Jackson's games and not giving out the information on Sheed? Why let them know if he is truly a threat to them? My guess is that he will be redeemed in this series. His signing was basically for the playoffs and so far, it has proved to be a good sign. This series will be the defining factor.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Rosalie,

I'm with you, its Sheed time!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 am

As of June 2, 2010

Bynum

The oft-injured Los Angeles Lakers center went through a limited practice Wednesday for the first time since having his balky right knee drained on Monday.

"It didn't really help," he said. "As soon as I drained it, about 12 hours later all the fluid came back."

As a result, the swelling that has plagued Bynum isn't any better, either. His big black knee brace remains a constant companion, as does the pain in his knee.

"It's going to be there when I come down from jumping, push off laterally, missed shot, trying to go get a rebound after the fact," he said. "The muscle is kind of shutting down because of the swelling, so it's tough to jump and do everything at your maximum level."

My editorial take on this: If I was Phil Jackson, I would tell Bynum to shut the f--k up. We now know he can't push off laterally because the muscle is shutting down. I wish no harm to the young man, but if I'm Perk, I'm a better player with this news. If I'm Doc, I'm running plays that will force Bynum to move laterally to stop penetration.

Rondo

"My body is fine," said Rondo. "These five days have definitely been great for me personally. I know it's great for the team, but for me I've been getting a lot of massages, a lot of treatment. I'm feeling better and better each day. The more time I get, the better I am. [Thursday], I'm sure I'll be back almost at 100 percent."

Daniels

Marquis Daniels (concussion) said he is feeling better, but is still waiting full clearance from trainer Ed Lacerte.

"I'm feeling better, it's progressively getting better each day," said Daniels. "The break helped. I'm just waiting for Ed to give me the sign now. I'm antsy."

Rasheed

Wallace, who originally tweaked his back during Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals against Orlando then left in the fourth quarter of Game 6, had been held out of contact drills earlier in the week, but moved fluidly in the portion of practice open to the media, which included stretching and shooting drills.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Those were my thoughts exactly. Why would you want one of your starting players to come out and admit that he is hurting. Just keep it to yourself. Jackson must be ticked off at this kid! But who cares! From the day he started playing basketball for the Knicks I disliked Phil Jackson. He was never a player you could root for.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Those were my thoughts exactly. Why would you want one of your starting players to come out and admit that he is hurting. Just keep it to yourself. Jackson must be ticked off at this kid! But who cares! From the day he started playing basketball for the Knicks I disliked Phil Jackson. He was never a player you could root for.

rosalie,

When I was growing up in NY, I was a Knicks fan (then I saw the green light).

Phil Jackson was a player I liked the same way I like Scal. All knees and elbows, with those clothes-hanger shoulders, but very smart and hard-working. Did the best with what he had, just was ungainly and awkward looking as all hell. He was a much more important part of the Knicks two championships in 1970 and 1973 than Scal was in '08 and, hopefully, in '10.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Bob and Rosalie,

...unless Bynum is just bluffing in hopes that Perk will be a little overconfident and he'll have an element of surprise going for him. It's a far-fetched thought but perhaps he's not doing quite that bad and is looking for any edge he can get.

I've had my knee drained and I don't recall the fluid returning when I quickly resumed activity (hoops as a matter of fact). Of course it could be a different injury. Isn't our friend Pumpsie a doctor? Maybe he would know; if the fluid was to return that fast wouldn't that be a sign of a more serious injury?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:04 pm

NYCelt wrote:Bob and Rosalie,

...unless Bynum is just bluffing in hopes that Perk will be a little overconfident and he'll have an element of surprise going for him. It's a far-fetched thought but perhaps he's not doing quite that bad and is looking for any edge he can get.

I've had my knee drained and I don't recall the fluid returning when I quickly resumed activity (hoops as a matter of fact). Of course it could be a different injury. Isn't our friend Pumpsie a doctor? Maybe he would know; if the fluid was to return that fast wouldn't that be a sign of a more serious injury?

Regards

NYCelt,

I don't think you need to be a doctor to realize that the body is generating that fluid because it feels the need to protect that area. The fact that the fluid returned in full tells me, the layman, that the damage is still there and it's not just a case of the body slowly draining the area naturally. Well, we already knew that. We already know that he has a torn miniscus and that only surgery will fix it.

What I'd be interested in knowing is what is it like within hours after being drained? If it's back to bad in 12 hours, then could Bynum have it drained in the afternoon and still be ok by 6 pm, or is there something about the procedure that would prevent him from doing that that soon after the drainage?

Bottom line: Perk and Sheed should run their asses off downcourt. Bynum's knee is 22 years old going on 42.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:26 pm

bob,

The tear must be worse then they are telling us.
It wouldn't surprise me for him only to be able to play 10-15 minutes per game even though Phil wants him to play over 1/2 the game.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm

tjmakz wrote:bob,

The tear must be worse then they are telling us.
It wouldn't surprise me for him only to be able to play 10-15 minutes per game even though Phil wants him to play over 1/2 the game.

TJ,

If you're right, then the Lakers will get faster, but softer.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:51 pm

Boy, I admire people who play in pain. But I just hope Bynum's not endangering his future. I assume he must have been reassured about that by medical people.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Bob,

I'm not sure what the speed of the fluid return shows. I do know that after my own two reconstructive knee surgeries and having had the same knee drained a couple of years ago, even the thought of those long, sharp needles makes me cringe!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 am

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Bob and Rosalie,

Regards

NYCelt,

I don't think you need to be a doctor to realize that the body is generating that fluid because it feels the need to protect that area. The fact that the fluid returned in full tells me, the layman, that the damage is still there and it's not just a case of the body slowly draining the area naturally. Well, we already knew that. We already know that he has a torn miniscus and that only surgery will fix it.

What I'd be interested in knowing is what is it like within hours after being drained? If it's back to bad in 12 hours, then could Bynum have it drained in the afternoon and still be ok by 6 pm, or is there something about the procedure that would prevent him from doing that that soon after the drainage?

Bottom line: Perk and Sheed should run their asses off downcourt. Bynum's knee is 22 years old going on 42.

bob

Bynum wound up playing 28 minutes giving the Lakes 10 and 6, which was more than our healthy center gave us tonight (8 & 3).

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:26 pm

6/5/10

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant will likely have arthroscopic knee surgery after the season due to wear and tear, a team source told the New York Post.

My editorial take: Didn't seem to have hurt his game on Thursday, so it's not really relevant to this series. However, it does bring into focus the number of minutes he has played in his career, almost as many as KG, and what that might mean to how long he'll still be playing. He signed up for another 3 years, but it'll be interesting to see what he'll have left in year 3 if he's already needing surgery for "wear and tear".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Seems we got Daniels for game 2 if Doc wants to give Pierce or TA a rest guarding Kobe. This except from NBA news today mistakenly says Daniels got hurt due to a Dwight Howard elbow to the head (that was Baby's injury, not Daniels). Daniels got concussed when his head rammed into Gortat's chest:

HEALTHY CELTICS: Boston coach Doc Rivers thinks backup Marquis Daniels likely is ready to return from his concussion. Rivers also says Rajon Rondo won’t be joining Daniels on the shelf any time soon.

Daniels was hurt in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals, courtesy of Dwight Howard’s elbow to his head. Though Daniels hasn’t played much in the postseason, Rivers thinks the veteran could be a valuable body on defense— particularly if the clubs get into another foulfest similar to the 54-foul extravaganza of Game 1.

Rivers said Daniels would go through a full practice with the Celtics on Saturday.

“I thought he was out for the playoffs, personally, so that’s a good thing,” Rivers said. “I can’t guarantee (Sunday), but I think there’s a good chance.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:21 am

June 7, 2010

Andrew Bynum played 39 minutes in game 2. He scored 21 points on 6-10 shooting and had 7 blocks.

I think we can stop talking about Bynum's knee for a while. He's doing just fine.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 am

bob,

Bynum's play is huge for this series and for this off-season.
If Bynum can keep playing this way, his trade value is dramatically higher then before the series started.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

If Bynum can keep playing this way, his trade value is dramatically higher then before the series started.

TJ,

That's probably true. Of course, if he keeps playing this way, will the Lakers still try to trade him? If they trade Bynum, an already thin front court (literally and figuratively) will get even thinner. Gasol (really a PF) and Odom (a PF) and then Josh Powell/DJ? They would still need a center with some beef on him and replacing Bynum with Bosh will not, IMO, do it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 pm

If reports of the fluid in Bynum's knee are true (and I have reason to doubt them), he deserves huge credit for putting out as he has in the finals. It's actually so hard to believe that perhaps he merits a centerfold in a New England Journal of Medicine article.

However, I've been wondering what will happen to the Lakers' newfound toughness if he's no longer there and (for the sake of argument) Bosh is. I don't mean he's the only Laker who has exhibited toughness, but he has to be thought of as some sort of backbone in the center.

Might they also move Odom for a serviceable center? Just asking.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Sam,

That would involve a big overhaul of their team.

Gasol, Bryant and Artest remain. Fisher is 35 and probably done, especially considering how glaring his defects have been revealed by Westbrook and Rondo.

Let's assume they sign another point guard to replace Fisher. If Odom is gone, their PF situation is painfully thin. It boils down to Gasol and Josh Powell, who hasn't played significant minutes in years. They'd have two centers, Bynam and player-to-be-named-later and Gasol at PF. Their outside game, without Odom, weakens. The exception to this might be if they replace Odom with an outside shooter like Channing Frye of Phoenix, but the $ don't work (besides, Frye's more of a PF than a C). Their uptempo game slows down if they replace Odom with a center.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm

bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

That's probably true. Of course, if he keeps playing this way, will the Lakers still try to trade him? If they trade Bynum, an already thin front court (literally and figuratively) will get even thinner. Gasol (really a PF) and Odom (a PF) and then Josh Powell/DJ? They would still need a center with some beef on him and replacing Bynum with Bosh will not, IMO, do it.

bob

LA is not in the Finals because of Bynum. More like Bynum is in the Finals because of LA. He is a good player but has not carried the team much at all this year.
I like Bynum and would be happy for LA to keep him, but if they can get a dynamic, athletic player like Bosh who can put up 22 and 10 in his sleep, you make that deal.
Or if they can get a top point guard, they would consider moving Bynum.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

TJ,

Trading Bynum for a PG would definitely go against the conventional NBA wisdom of not trading a good big for a good small.

But, having said that, if I were a Lakers fan, I'd feel pretty secure in the knowledge that the Lakes have a gift for making great deals for key parts.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Sam,

LA is fortunate to have made it this far with the Fisher/Brown/Farmar trio.
If it were Gasol, of course, they don't move him. LA can sign a big to a MLE contract or move up in this years draft as a few teams have hinted that they might want to get out of the first round and the guaranteed contracts.

The NBA is definitely a pg oriented league right now.
Fisher/Brown/Farmar would be a good back up next year, but L.A. can get regularly outplayed in the pg position only for so long.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:02 pm

JUNE 13, 2010

Bynum

Bynum said after practice Saturday that he will play Sunday night, but has no idea how much he can contribute or how long he'll be able to go. He was limited to 12 minutes after colliding with Kevin Garnett in Game 4 and has been playing throughout the playoffs with torn cartilage in the knee.

My editorial comment: I didn't know he collided with KG. That must have hurt. It's not just whether Bynum plays, but how well he plays. If he's not effective it's almost better if he's out and let Phil make adjustments.

No reports on injuries to any other players.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next