RosalieTCeltics
dboss
kdp59
gyso
NYCelt
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James Empty Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 pm

According to SportingNews.com and as reported in Bleacher Report. Been hearing about this all afternoon as it has shown up in multiple places.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-free-agency-rumors-celtics-kyrie-irving-genuinely-interested-in-reuniting-with-lebron-james-on-lakers/1rxy2yuynxcu1w1zbyuq8shw8

The usual "unidentified league source."

First, Anthony Davis pulls out the trade me card when the Lakers are the only ones in a real position to pull the trigger now. No wonder he's been fined.

Then reports surface that Kyrie wants to be LeBron's bestie again.

Crazy season does seem to go along with the trade deadline.

Well, that and LeBron & Co. are really good recruiters.

Mark down February 8 as the temporary return to normal business.

Looking forward to it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James Empty Re: Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James

Post by gyso Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 pm

NY,

And there you go, begging me to break out my fake Scottish accent again.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James Empty Re: Kyrie Irving genuinely interested in reuniting with LeBron James

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 am

gyso wrote:NY,

And there you go, begging me to break out my fake Scottish accent again.

gyso

A little Scottish accent might be a nice compliment to a board dedicated to an Irish nicknamed team.

Throw in a Brit and we have the Isles covered.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:52 am

so for a thinking experiment, what IF those reports are true?

again I am not saying they are or are not, but just exploring what type of team Danny "could" have next season.

I will assume Danny makes no trades at the deadline here:

we would have the following players under contract (in order of salary)

Hayward
Horford _player option
Smart
Tatum
Brown
Baynes-player option
Yabusele
Rob Williams
Ojeleye- non guaranteed

thats 9 players with a combined salary of around $104M on a $109M cap. however with the cap holds on Morris, Rozier, Theis and Wannamker we are OVER the cap.

Players Danny would likely try to retain if Irving leaves:

Rozier- RFA and we control
Morris- UFA

thats 11 players out of a 14-15 man roster

we'll probably have 3 first round draft picks (Kings, our own and likely the Clippers pick). I doubt Danny would want any more than 2 rookie on the team next year.

so thats 13 players, with Theis and Wannamker still unsigned buy this scenario.

I'm not sure if we would have a mid level exception ($5M or so?) to add a vet, so we may be constrained to just vet minimum deals to add any players.

the roster then:

Horford
Baynes
Williams
Morris-re signed
Theis- re signed
Yabusele
Tatum
Hayward
Semi
Brown
Smart
Rozier
Shelvin Mack- vet minimum deal ( Played with Hayward and for Stevens at Butler)
Another option instead of Mack could be IT.

Romeo Langford- Kings draft pick
Tre Jones- Other first round pick

That roster is still basically the team that played for the NBA east championship last year. plus Hayward (hopefully fully back) along with additional young players added.

Horford will be a year older but the hope will be that Rob Williams can pick up the slack.

again just showing here that even IF irving would leave, we are still set up to be contenders for a while

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Jackie MacMullan makes a pretty compelling argument not to believe that Kyrie is leaving

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-jackie-macmullan-doesnt-buy-143229016.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

SPN’s Jackie MacMullan on Kyrie Irving rumors: ‘I don’t put any stock in it’
Updated Jan 29, 8:45 PM; Posted Jan 29, 8:45 PM
STF
Boston Celtics' Kyrie Irving walks off the court after the Celtics defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 121-114 in overtime during an NBA basketball game in Boston, Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer) (Michael Dwyer)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com
The NBA’s silly season came crashing through the wall like the Kool Aid Man this week. Anthony Davis' trade request has been accompanied by all sorts of rumors, most notably the idea that there is growing concern that Kyrie Irving may not re-sign with the Boston Celtics and is, in fact, interested in reuniting with LeBron James

Jackie MacMullan was on ESPN’s “Around the Horn” on Tuesday and she shot these reports down when asked if she heard similar things saying “I will say this, there is some frustration from Kyrie Irving. Of course there is, because this team is not performing the way he had hoped and he is carrying a huge load, and he doesn’t want to be the James Harden of New England, OK. But, it’s January. He hasn’t made any kind of seismic decision like that. And let’s say even if he is a little unhappy and a little unsure, don’t you think bringing Anthony Davis aboard may quell all of those fears or concerns for Kyrie Irving? So, I don’t put any stock in it. Sorry.”

She begins the segment clearly suggesting that Davis' agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, is behind this. Paul, a long-time friend of LeBron James, seems to be driving Davis towards the Lakers and playing with LeBron. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported earlier today that Davis may soon declare a willingness to only re-sign with Los Angeles.

(M)ultiple league sources expect the agent and star to soon deliver word throughout the league that Davis' preferred destination is the Lakers and he’ll become a rental player until 2020 with a trade anywhere else.

If Paul is behind the slew of reporting suggesting Irving is open to Los Angeles, it could be part of a PR campaign aimed at pushing Davis to Los Angeles by the trade deadline. If the New Orleans Pelicans feel Irving is a flight risk, they could fear Boston will drop out of the race for Davis and keep all the assets they might be trading away. If the Pelicans feel Boston’s assets are off the table, they may be inclined to accept the Lakers offer before the deadline.

It’s hard to say if that’s the case, but Jackie MacMullan isn’t the only person suggesting Rich Paul is feeding this beast right now. As always during trade deadlines and free agency, beware of rumors. There are people on all sides of them trying push agendas to sway public opinion and plant seeds in the heads of people involved.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm

I saw her on TV yesterday making these comments. I think she is on to something.

Kyrie probably needs to come out once again and set the record straight. Do you think Danny has had a conversation with Kyrie? I am sure that he will.

Nevertheless, NOLA is not going to rush into a deal because Rich Paul wants it that way. There are other teams also interested but you have one side trying to diminish the Celtics because the Celtics are the only team with enough assets to outbid everyone else.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 pm

dboss wrote:I saw her on TV yesterday making these comments.  I think she is on to something.

Kyrie probably needs to come out once again and set the record straight.  Do you think Danny has had a conversation with Kyrie?  I am sure that he will.

Nevertheless, NOLA is not going to rush into a deal because Rich Paul wants it that way.  There are other teams also interested but you have one side trying to diminish the Celtics because the Celtics are the only team with enough assets to outbid everyone else.  

but should we is the question?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:59 pm

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:I saw her on TV yesterday making these comments.  I think she is on to something.

Kyrie probably needs to come out once again and set the record straight.  Do you think Danny has had a conversation with Kyrie?  I am sure that he will.

Nevertheless, NOLA is not going to rush into a deal because Rich Paul wants it that way.  There are other teams also interested but you have one side trying to diminish the Celtics because the Celtics are the only team with enough assets to outbid everyone else.  

I remain undecided. As I have stated I think I can make a compelling argument for or against an AD trade.

But it does not really matter. Danny has been on this path to get AD for a while. He has the assets to do it. The fact that he is going to be traded this year fits right into Danny's wheelhouse to swing for the fences. He has drafted some very impressive young talent and has a supply of first rounders. My guess is that he believes having two elite players who are not yet in their prime opens the door for Boston to be a guaranteed contender and win more championships.

In the end it is his decision. It is hard to argue with his track record.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Not buying it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Not buying it.

Not buying what?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Not buying that kyrie wants out of Boston and to rejoin lebron.

Isn’t that what this thread is about?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:01 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Not buying that kyrie wants out of Boston and to rejoin lebron.

Isn’t that what this thread is about?

Agree. Makes no sense at all.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Not buying it.

Me neither.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Jackie Mac has proven to be a Knowledgeable and credible source over the years. She's probably right.

Each year, wild speculation and jumped-to conclusions accompany the week or two leading up to the trade deadline.

In this case, I think, there are four stories that have popped up as pure coincidence, now being tied together.

1. Irving doesn't want to talk contract until the season's over and he can become a free agent. This came up before AD ever said trade me. My own belief is that Kyrie, being no dummy, is keeping his options open. He'll go to the contender willing to pay. May be Boston, but I don't think that's even close to a lock, or it would have been done when Ainge was first willing.

2. LeBron talks about a desire to team up with AD after AD signs with LeBron's agent. Collusion? I don't think so. James has always spoken without applying his keep the yap shut filter on this type of thing.

3. Kyrie calls LeBron, says "mom, I'm sorry I was a pain growing up," asks mom's advice, and later says he would consider moving back to mom's. Again, Kyrie's not dumb. In a language known as Super-Max-Hoopster, Kyrie's statement translates to "Hey Boston, if you want me, you've got to pay me. Big."

4. AD asks for a trade at the precise time that only LA has the assets and ability to swing a deal before the deadline. AD is no dummy either. This one appears to be a pretty transparent attempt to book a ticket to LA, and that probably explains the $50,000 fine.

However, do the four separate events mean there's a done deal here? No. These are, mostly, coincidental events.

Could there be in the future? Sure. Makes sense these three would want to team up, especially in LA. That's why rumors start.

Is it something for Celts fans to worry about? Not until summer, if at all.

And that's my semi-coherent look at the state of hysteria in today's NBA.

Tomorrow, I'll explain why the Budweiser Clydesdales are rumored to be signing free agent deals with Pabst right after The Super Bowl.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm

dboss wrote:
kdp59 wrote:

I remain undecided.  As I have stated I think I can make a compelling argument for or against an AD trade.  

But it does not really matter.  Danny has been on this path to get AD for a while.  He has the assets to do it.  The fact that he is going to be traded this year fits right into Danny's wheelhouse to swing for the fences.  He has drafted some very impressive young talent and has a supply of first rounders.  My guess is that he believes having two elite players who are not yet in their prime opens the door for Boston to be a guaranteed contender and win more championships.  

In the end it is his decision.   It is hard to argue with his track record.

Man, you said it!

I keep going back and forth with this possibility ,, losing Tatum will be tough, TOUGH for me to swallow.

and I love Smart too, but his salary would almost have to be included to make any deal.

man!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm

NYCelt wrote:Jackie Mac has proven to be a Knowledgeable and credible source over the years. She's probably right.

Each year, wild speculation and jumped-to conclusions accompany the week or two leading up to the trade deadline.

In this case, I think, there are four stories that have popped up as pure coincidence, now being tied together.

1. Irving doesn't want to talk contract until the season's over and he can become a free agent. This came up before AD ever said trade me. My own belief is that Kyrie, being no dummy, is keeping his options open. He'll go to the contender willing to pay. May be Boston, but I don't think that's even close to a lock, or it would have been done when Ainge was first willing.

2. LeBron talks about a desire to team up with AD after AD signs with LeBron's agent. Collusion? I don't think so. James has always spoken without applying his keep the yap shut filter on this type of thing.

3. Kyrie calls LeBron, says "mom, I'm sorry I was a pain growing up," asks mom's advice, and later says he would consider moving back to mom's. Again, Kyrie's not dumb. In a language known as Super-Max-Hoopster, Kyrie's statement translates to "Hey Boston, if you want me, you've got to pay me. Big."

4. AD asks for a trade at the precise time that only LA has the assets and ability to swing a deal before the deadline. AD is no dummy either. This one appears to be a pretty transparent attempt to book a ticket to LA, and that probably explains the $50,000 fine.

However, do the four separate events mean there's a done deal here? No. These are, mostly, coincidental events.

Could there be in the future? Sure. Makes sense these three would want to team up, especially in LA. That's why rumors start.

Is it something for Celts fans to worry about? Not until summer, if at all.

And that's my semi-coherent look at the state of hysteria in today's NBA.

Tomorrow, I'll explain why the Budweiser Clydesdales are rumored to be signing free agent deals with Pabst right after The Super Bowl.

NYCelt I do not see it as a question of money for Kyrie. I have no doubts that Boston will give him a max deal and he knows that too. When the Celtics made the trade for him they knew a future big paycheck for him was going to happen. Kyrie is not playing a money game. He already knows that Danny wants to keep him.

I think Jackie is remarkably perceptive. The Celtics are not what they were suppose to be so far this year. Kyrie is a high end star that is use to winning and has been frustrated with losing and sees issues with too many young developing players and may prefer to play with more veteran guys who have been there. I think he does not particularly like the one size fits all coaching style of Brad Stevens. However brad has pretty much given him the green light to do his thing so Kyrie has little to complain about on that end. Kyrie could not help us last year in the playoffs and I am sure he was frustrated by that. Now as they are going through ups and downs and he is trying to do something he never has done before (be the leader on a team) He calls Lebron and basically acknowledges that Lebron was not all bad and he can learn something about leadership from him. He told us what he did. But people want to turn that into something else.

As far as AD is concerned, a reporter ask Lebron if he would like to play with AD. It is not like Lebron started talking about (guys i would like to play with) What was he suppose to say?

The real conjunction however cannot be overlooked. With Rich Paul in the mix shortly followed by I will not resign, trade me statement, clearly has the stench of Lebron James and the Lakers. This is not about Kyrie. It is about the Lakers and Lebron and Magic securing the services of the best big man in the NBA. Kyrie is merely a pawn in this game.

I cannot believe that Kyrie is so shallow to fall for this trickery. And he ain't going to LA because AD will be in Boston.

Celtics fans have really nothing to worry about unless they choose to worry about losing some of our young talented players.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:27 pm

I don’t see a deal being done in 7 days, it’s gonna be done over the summer when everyone has a clear idea where their draft picks will be....this puts us in the drivers seat. I just would hate losing 2 of 3 on Smart, JT, JB, and it can’t be both J’s.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Kyrie going to Lebron land is just admitting to everyone that he can't lead and that he has to have Lebron in order to win it all. Something tells me he don't want to admit to this. I also think he wants the most money he can get this contract.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Just one more reason for my being turned off more and more by the NBA. I swear if it wasn’t for the Celtics, I wouldn’t even be watching this bullshit. What a joke its turned into
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:Just one more reason for my being turned off more and more by the NBA. I swear if it wasn’t for the Celtics, I wouldn’t even be watching this bullshit. What a joke its turned into

I agree. I doubt I will watch any of the All Star game. I can watch more competitive basketball as the high school level.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Ktronic1 wrote:Just one more reason for my being turned off more and more by the NBA. I swear if it wasn’t for the Celtics, I wouldn’t even be watching this bullshit. What a joke its turned into

Agreed.

Among the many reasons I mostly watch college ball, with the exception of being a lifelong Celtics fan. I seldom watch an entire non-Boston NBA game.

The egos haven't taken control of the NCAA game, and you can actually watch defense being played. NCAA D1 ball is actually a much better game to watch, in my opinion.

The issues we're discussing here are really a side show, in the short-run. In the longer term, the problem is that players are going to increasingly force teams to deal them to large-market teams with the money and attractive benefits that go with their location. There are only about 4 NBA teams in any given year with a chance to win a title. That will continue to consolidate into just the biggest markets, until or unless owners force the league to adopt stronger restrictions on player movement. As with other sports, the players unions have gotten too strong for the good of the league. The tail is wagging the dog.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 pm

dboss,

With each passing hour since Trade-Me-Gate hit, I see less and less chance AD ends up in Boston. I'm OK with that too. I'd rather keep the likes of Tatum, Smart, and, hopefully, Irving. If not Irving, I'd be happy with Rozier. We also have a barrel load of draft picks to build with or trade. I see all of this as better for sustained competitiveness than dealing a couple of our young stars for a player with 7-years worth of mileage and a history of injury. AD is still young too, but bigs, especially, tend to wear down faster. AD has already started down that road.

Based on game-time reports earlier this evening, it looks like LA is willing to unload several of their promising young players to bring in AD now, and go with a win now philosophy. Good for them. I'd rather have LA win a title this year or next, while Boston remains in the hunt for titles over the next several years. I say let AD go to LA. I'll stick with the Tatum show.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am

tardust wrote:

I agree.  I doubt I will watch any of the All Star game.  I can watch more competitive basketball as the high school level.

I haven’t watched an NBA Allstar game in years. I believe the last one was when Magic came back and won the MVP of the game because everyone wanted him to so he was barely guarded. That was it for me.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am

NYCelt wrote:

Agreed.

Among the many reasons I mostly watch college ball, with the exception of being a lifelong Celtics fan. I seldom watch an entire non-Boston NBA game.

The egos haven't taken control of the NCAA game, and you can actually watch defense being played. NCAA D1 ball is actually a much better game to watch, in my opinion.

The issues we're discussing here are really a side show, in the short-run. In the longer term, the problem is that players are going to increasingly force teams to deal them to large-market teams with the money and attractive benefits that go with their location. There are only about 4 NBA teams in any given year with a chance to win a title. That will continue to consolidate into just the biggest markets, until or unless owners force the league to adopt stronger restrictions on player movement. As with other sports, the players unions have gotten too strong for the good of the league. The tail is wagging the dog.

I don’t mind the players having a strong union (pity the NFL players) but some of the items and policies that the league and the union agreed on are what’s causing some of this.
And you’re so right about the limited number of teams who have a chance to win a title.
Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Charlotte, Minnesota and Sacremento will probably never ever get close enough to sniff an NBA title. Not good.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next