Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain

+4
sinus007
bobheckler
gyso
8 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain Empty Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 am

Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain

NESN by Lauren Campbell on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 3:32PM

The Celtics received some much-needed good news Sunday afternoon.

After Boston blew a 28-point lead to lose to the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday night at TD Garden, it feared Kyrie Irving also might miss an extended period of time.

The star guard suffered a right knee sprain in the second quarter of Saturday’s loss. Head coach Brad Stevens said he “didn’t know anything about it” after the loss. But now we have a little more insight to just how serious (or not) the injury to Irving really is.

That’s certainly a relief.

While it’s unclear whether Irving will play in Tuesday’s showdown with the Philadelphia 76ers, the panic should disappear knowing Irving likely won’t miss an extended period of time.

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain Empty Re: Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am

Head coach Brad Stevens said he “didn’t know anything about it” after the loss.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DO NOT KNOW! HE WAS OUT THE SECOND HALF OF THE GAME!

SOMETHING DOES NOT ADD UP, THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain Empty Re: Kyrie Irving Injury: Here’s Latest On Celtics Guard’s Right Knee Sprain

Post by gyso Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 am

Context is everything. I am guessing that the question preceding the Stevens quote was something like:

"How serious is the knee injury to Kyrie?"

Then his answer makes sense. It was right after the game and the results may not have been reported to Stevens yet.

The media provides just enough to result in fan speculation.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 am

Brad knew that Kyrie went to the locker room.  I'm sure that he was told he wasn't coming back for the game so he could coach and manage minutes appropriately.  He probably heard it was a knee issue.  He probably didn't know the extent and severity of the injury until after MRIs were taken and, once Brad had been told to not count on Kyrie returning to play, there was no reason to tell him during the game and after the game there is the press conference and not much time to talk to the troops (assistant coaches do that) or have a conversation about the extent of a player's injury before the presser.

Then, there's another explanation, one which I have stood by for years and that is the Celtics organization (and I have usually been talking about Danny when I cite this but it could easily extend to Brad) are under no obligation to be completely honest with the fans or press with the extent and severity of a player's injuries.  Their obligations are to field the best team they can, win games that are winnable and to confound the opposition.  Giving us insight into a player's medical prognosis is a distant 4th, at best.  Remember when KG got hurt and Danny kept saying his return was right around the corner, and it just kept dragging on and on, and then suddenly there he was?  Danny wanted to screw with the opposing coaches' scouting and preparation.  If you don't know who is playing and who isn't that makes it harder to prepare.  We've seen Brad play this game a bit, in a different way, by not announcing the starting 5 until just before the teams take to the floor to warm up, too late for the opposing coach to change his line up or strategies.

More than likely this is just a timing thing, Brad didn't get the latest and greatest news before the presser.  The strategem of deliberately misleading people into what our strength and depth will be requires a bit of thoughtful preparation and I don't think there was the time for that in this instance.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am

Hi,
According to AWoj, the injury is not serious and KI is expected to be day-to-day.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

the question for me then is:

Is Irving playing a good thing or bad thing?

just sayin'
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

kdp59 wrote:the question for me then is:

just sayin'

KDP,
So what is your answer to this question?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

gyso wrote:Context is everything.  I am guessing that the question preceding the Stevens quote was something like:

Then his answer makes sense.  It was right after the game and the results may not have been reported to Stevens yet.

GYSO,

To define the event, we do not know what was asked prior to his response.  May be or may be not what your suggested as a prior question.  You are taking a great leap of faith by suggesting that was the prior question and then suggesting the media stirs the pot by creating speculation.   I am with you on that one, lots of manipulation by the media to create controversies, but we need to find that out and then call them out.

But if you think of Stevens response, it still seem odd in that he never referenced the doctors who may have had info on the injury.

But if you think of Stevens response still seem odd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

OK, KI's injury isn't serious. But the dysfunction on this team IS serious. They are wasting a lot of talent this year because of it. Right now we are not in the same league as Philly or Toronto-not because of lack of talent, but because of lack of team effort.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Since you didn't provide a link to the source article, I have to assume that what you presented was the entire enchilada.  If so, the article was an example of an extremely poorly written article by Lauren Campbell (whoever that is), which happens all too often nowadays.  It was lacking the context in which Brad's quote was made.

I made a common sense guess, which is as valid as anyone else's guess.  I wouldn't define that as a "great leap of faith".  Brad Stevens doesn't say stupid things, so logic dictates that the media left something out of the article.

I don't suggest the media stirs the pot by creating speculation, I know it.  At least we agree on that.  

Live long and prosper,

gyso

PS: What BobH says above also makes sense.  Teams do not owe us an explanation as to who is injured and such.  Tom Brady seems to be on the injury list every single week of the NFL season.  Yet he never misses a game.

Last edited by gyso on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed unwanted "I" placed before logic.)

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm

GYSO

Ok. I guess what I was aiming at with such an answer by Brad was the dust up with Irving a few months ago.  Maybe Brad was being sarcastic that Irving was not a warrior and could have played.

I think I got that from NESN > website

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Brad has made a habit of not getting into the "medical" issues regarding players. That way he is not giving wrong info as to the extent of the injury. I am sure he was well aware of Kyrie's absence from the bench and why. I just think things are just getting a little over the top as a result of this recent failure by the team. We all want and expected so much and some are feeling totally let down by the inability of this team to hold leads and put teams away in the third quarters.

This has been Brad's way of handling the press from the beginning. Get used to it, he isn't going to change for me, you, or anyone except management. Could be this is the way they want it.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 pm

sinus007 wrote:
kdp59 wrote:the question for me then is:

just sayin'

KDP,
So what is your answer to this question?

AK

I'm not sure. we seem to play better as a team without him. But he is obviously an elite ALL STAR.

It reminds me of the last coulpe years when Rondo was year, when we played better without him for whatever reason.

it just puzzles me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Brad has made a habit of not getting into the "medical" issues regarding players. That way he is not giving wrong info as to the extent of the injury. I am sure he was well aware of Kyrie's absence from the bench and why.  I just think things are just getting a little over the top as a result of this recent failure by the team.  We all want and expected so much and some are feeling totally let down by the inability of this team to hold leads and put teams away in the third quarters.

This has been Brad's way of handling the press from the beginning.  Get used to it, he isn't going to change for me, you, or anyone except management. Could be this is the way they want it.

I am quite sure that Stevens now knows what the doctors know about Irving's knee. That said, why should he tell the press about it? You don't think the other teams read that stuff and if they knew some information that could give them a competitive edge that they would use it? I like what Belichick and Cassidy of the Bruins do describing injuries: its a "lower body injury" or an "upper body injury". I would rather hear that from Stevens than "its a right knee injury".
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 pm

I don’t think he should have to say anything. He is learning well from bill belechick!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 pm

112288 wrote:
gyso wrote:Context is everything.  I am guessing that the question preceding the Stevens quote was something like:

Then his answer makes sense.  It was right after the game and the results may not have been reported to Stevens yet.

GYSO,

To define the event, we do not know what was asked prior to his response.  May be or may be not what your suggested as a prior question.  You are taking a great leap of faith by suggesting that was the prior question and then suggesting the media stirs the pot by creating speculation.   I am with you on that one, lots of manipulation by the media to create controversies, but we need to find that out and then call them out.

But if you think of Stevens response, it still seem odd in that he never referenced the doctors who may have had info on the injury.

But if you think of Stevens response still seem odd.
I watched the presser live and I don’t recall the exact wording of the question but I believe the reporter was asking more of an update question and Brad said “I don’t know”.
I didn’t get the impression he was saying he didn’t know anything. My impression was that he was saying he didn’t know any more.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down