Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated'

2 posters

Go down

Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated' Empty Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated'

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824568-malcolm-brogdon-on-milwaukee-ive-never-lived-in-a-city-this-segregated?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated'

ADAM WELLS
MARCH 8, 2019

Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated' Hi-res-64891e70696d59284f875fefd8ab0850_crop_north
Rocky Widner/Getty Images
Playing three seasons for the Milwaukee Bucks has taught Malcolm Brogdon many things about life on and off the court.

In an interview with The Guardian's Donald McRae, Brogdon highlighted the level of segregation and lack of progressiveness he's seen in the city of Milwaukee.

"Before I came to Milwaukee I'd heard the city was the most segregated in the country," Brogdon said. "I'd heard it was racist. When I got here it was extremely segregated. I've never lived in a city this segregated. Milwaukee's very behind in terms of being progressive. There are things that need to change rapidly.”

Milwaukee's lack of diversity has been talked about before by people within the Bucks organization.

During a September 2016 appearance at the Rotary Club of Madison, team president Peter Feigin made the following comments about the city, via Dennis Punzel of the Wisconsin State Journal:

"We know we can't cure the world. But we are very determined to get ourselves involved in programs that we can measure a difference in and put our claws into for a long period of time and show a difference.

"Very bluntly, Milwaukee is the most segregated, racist place I've ever experienced in my life. It just is a place that is antiquated. It is in desperate need of repair and has happened for a long, long time. One of our messages and one of our goals is to lead by example."

Feigin later backed down from those comments in a statement: "I was addressing a question about the social, economic and geographic divides that exist and how we can help address them. It wasn't my intention to characterize the general community as overtly racist."

Brogdon's comments about Milwaukee's lack of segregation have proven to be accurate. A study released by the Brookings Institution in January found the city had the highest black-white segregation rate from 2013-17 at 79.8 percent.

The third-year guard noted the Bucks' owners have encouraged players to be "forward thinking" and "speak out for what is good and right.”

Brogdon is currently in his third season with the Bucks. He was born in Atlanta and attended college at the University of Virginia before being a second-round draft pick by Milwaukee in 2016.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated' Empty Re: Malcolm Brogdon on Milwaukee: 'I've Never Lived in a City This Segregated'

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:39 pm

This is a sad statement. As someone who grew up in the 1950's and 60's, alot of those steps we took forward seem to be going backward in this day and age. I truly feel sorry for these players who are out on the court and hear racial slurs thrown at them. It is becoming more and more common.

Brogden in young, a whole career ahead of him, will he stay in an enviornment where he would be forced to bring up a family and put his children It will be interesting to see if he sticks around.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down