Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens

+10
RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
worcester
BingBang!
tardust
jrleftfoot
dboss
hawksnestbeach
cowens/oldschool
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens

Post by BingBang! Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:30 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Hey BingBang! wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Tonight at crunch time with not even the best lineup, we stepped up enough with everyone sharing the ball and moving/playing with purpose. Smart made some drives and plays, Tatum had a great pass, Al did his job. It was refreshing to see, everyone was capable of making plays for each other, whether it was a drive, pass, shot. With Kyrie, Stevens let’s him do too much as he’s the only one that can make the play, shot or pass and Kyries never been in this role before. On Cavs it was Lebron with the ball making all those decisions, Kyrie just had to play off him, go for an open catch and shoot, or drive off of a defense geared to stop Lebron first. Kyrie has great skills, but he’s not the incredible super closer he thinks he is, he can do some damage, but to his own team too. He’s obviously no where near as clutch as Bird or Pierce. I hope it’s not too late to have some plays in the clutch where the ball can go through Smart or Tatum or Al first, enabling Kyrie to get even a better look. This shit of Kyrie bringing the ball up and having all the say in a shot, drive or dish at the end game is getting old and coaches have already figured out how to defend it.
I'm not sure I agree that he's not clutch, he did hit the shot that won an NBA championship. But, I agree absolutely he's doing too much with the ball in his hands, most of the game, not just the fourth quarter. The difference, IMO between he and The Truth (it's not fair to compare anyone to Larry so I won't) is size. Paul had an unusual combination of deftness (Kyrie) but body thickness (not quite Unseld-like but Paul was a strong man). Paul could get his shot and make his shot through all kinds of contact. Paul's built somewhat like Sir Charles and at the 2/3 played a pretty similar game IMO to Charles but at a different position with different emphasis but both featuring all around capabilities and strength. Kyrie is a slight point guard with amazing moves, ball English (which I would compare positively to Larry's), court sense, shooting ability, can rebound, run fast, etc. As I said in another post, short players physically can't see the floor in a setup offense as well as taller guys; it's impossible, so for that very reason he should give up the ball in the set offense and run off screens for open looks. Who knows how they'll look with him back in the lineup, but so far the results have certainly been mixed this year. I think they can be a much better team with Kyrie on the floor than not but he has to play to Brad's coaching, not his game, and right now it looks a little late in the season for that to change much.

I never said he wasn’t clutch, he’s just not clutch compared to Bird or Pierce and I understand he hit the clutch shot to clinch series for Cavs. Not that big a sleight as not many greats are near as good in the clutch as were Bird and Pierce, including Lebron. Some of that may be because of size as you mentioned, I don’t know if he has the stamina toughness and durability to take over late as much as those guys, he’s definitely dazzling overall. This playoff run will show if he really is the premier primary option as in Cleveland it was Lebron in that role. Not all the losses are his fault, but I stand by my statements that Kyrie Rama with him taking over everything in the clutch is not gonna work, it may at times, but I felt better watching Bird and Pierce take over the way they did than Kyrie.
In Cleveland it was LeBron who had the ball with Kyrie off the ball and that worked well. I totally agree that things get ugly when he holds the ball to ball 15 seconds or so to get his look and when he can't dishes it some poor guy who has 9 seconds to try to do something. My numbers analysis back and forth with Worcester revealed, at least to me, that the team with the Kyrie of last year (distributing first, ISO second) had the best record and therefore if he and the team can get back to that style of ball, that's their best chance in the playoffs. Also, Dave Cowens growing up was my favorite player, along with Hondo; tip of the hat to your moniker.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens

Post by worcester Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:54 am

Bing Bang, I saw the whole gang, dancing on the living room rug....Your moniker is an homage to the late great Bobby Darin and his song Splish Splash. Skip the ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmKkV3ddAo

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:50 am

I think Cowens is every C’s fan favorite player, a cult hero among C’s fans. I love educating kids my kids age when the history of the game comes up on Dave Cowens history....loved watching him defend and rebound.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 pm

see Clutch stats.

Kyrie #5 in FGA and shooting 50% from the field.  Pretty clutch shooting I think

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=FGA&dir=-1

Last edited by dboss on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Kyrie is clutch. That is not the peoblem. It is a team chemistry problem. Let's hope Brad is a good chemist.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:13 pm

NBA.com has a "Player Clutch" section in which they define clutch as the last five minutes of a game in which the point differential is 5 or less.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 pm

worcester wrote:Kyrie is clutch. That is not the peoblem. It is a team chemistry problem. Let's hope Brad is a good chemist.

Worcester

The Celtics have played 75 different 5 man combinations all year.  The Bucks have used 60.  It must be difficult to find great chemistry when you have so many different 5 man combinations.  

The current Celtics starting 5 has logged 4 times as many minutes than any other combination.  There are some combinations that have been more productive (Net Rating) over the current most used combination.  (Starting 5)  

I think the only way to have better chemistry is to decide which 3-4 players can play 35 plus MPG.  

During the 2008 Championship run, the Celtics played KG, PP, and RA 38 MPG on average over 26 playoff games.  Rajon played 32 MPG and perk logged 25.

If Brad tries to distribute minutes during the playoffs like he has during the regular season we may be in trouble.

The rotation for the playoffs will probably be 9 deep.  I would take our top 3 guys and ride them like a bronco for big minutes.  Kyrie and Tatum and one of Brown, Morris or Hayward (whoever is on his game)  I would play the three top guys 37-38 MPG. The margin for error should be razor thin. If a guy is not playing well you need to replace him because there is no time to experiment.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm

tardust wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:OK. I am convinced. Get rid of Kyrie and this team will suddenly be transformed into an unbeatable dynasty. My bad. Can' t wait.

Well you never heard me say anything close to this.  I simply pointed out facts about Kyrie. Check them if you don't believe.   I basically said the ball moves without him and the team played well last year and 11-2 without him.  Another fact.  I never said we would win even one championship without him.  I also wasn't one of the posters at the beginning of the year that had us as a dynasty and a lot of comparisons to Golden State.   Now maybe those are the ones you should direct this at.  I obviously thought we would be better than we are but I never had us penciled in as champions as so many on this board did.  Hell we could have been knocked out the first round if we had drawn the Cavs.  The Pacers took them to seven games in the first round and they actually got screwed on a couple of late calls in game 7.   Yep your bad.
                                             Didn't mention your name. Mine was a response to several commenters. Kinda thin -skinned, compadre.  Nobody is required to accept your opinion as facts, btw. Do you seriously expect people to believe you weren't trying to make a point with all the negative " facts " about KI? Whether the ball " moves better" without him in the lineup , which I tend to agree with is opinion , not fact. What happens at the end of the possession is in my OPINION, more significant than how many passes are made. He takes a lot of shots and hits half of them. IMO. we are not going far without him.

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Sensible approach Dboss.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Celts are 5-5 last 10 games. Indy 3-7. Indy is slipping. We are only 1 game behind. We will finish 4th and have a home court advantage. Enough to beat Indy. Then we will take on Milwaukee. If Philly takes care of Toronto, then we will face the 76ers in the ECF.

Positive thinking. Celtic pride still lives.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:26 am

worcester wrote:Celts are 5-5 last 10 games. Indy 3-7. Indy is slipping. We are only 1 game behind. We will finish 4th and have a home court advantage. Enough to beat Indy. Then we will take on Milwaukee. If Philly takes care of Toronto, then we will face the 76ers in the ECF.

Positive thinking. Celtic pride still lives.
          +1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am

I think most of the blame does and should fall at Stevens' feet. He's responsible for getting this team prepared, lineups and rotations, as well as defensive and offensive strategies. Yes, we've seen some very bad play from pretty much everyone at any given point, but he's supposed to be the one to reel them in. The NBA isn't a league of just players and no coaches. Think about it.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:01 am

If you were to ask Brad Stevens, he would accept the blame.  He is just that kind of guy.  He would never blame anyone else, no matter how many actual ingredients there were that went into the team's inability to fulfill fan expectations.

As far as my opinion, I think this is a ridiculous exercise.  

Tomase: Looking to cast blame for disappointing Celtics? Start with Brad Stevens - Page 2 Blame_11

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:21 am

gyso,

Perhaps the issue exists in our expectations that this team would be more cohesive and consistent. Of course Stevens' will take blame, and I don't believe anyone here is of the opinion that he would shy away from it. But on that note, we should recognize that there is a difference between taking blame and doing something about it.

For the most part, we've been healthy this year, much more so than last year so we can't use injuries as an excuse. Stevens' tried to force a square peg in a round hole with putting Hayward in the starting lineup and running with it for too long, as well as continuing to give everyone the green light to jack up threes instead of running an actual offense. Or maybe it's just that a lot of other teams have simply gotten better this year and Boston hasn't.

Maybe this is an exercise in futility, but it's perfectly logical that fans of this team would try to diagnose why we haven't performed well consistently.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 am

kj,

I do not agree that we have been healthy this season. I make the Game On! threads and include an injury list. All season, we have had key players out, in and back out again for injuries or illnesses. The returning wounded often are on a minutes restriction.

Look above to see a post from dboss, indicating that we have had 75 different 5 man combinations this season. The result is a total lack of continuity. The cause? Injuries and illnesses and NOT just Brad Stevens messing with the roster.

That's my 2 cents.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 am

Don't forget Jaylen played with a hand injury for two months to start the year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2