POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY - BOS 112, MIA 102 Final

+5
dboss
dbrown4
Berlin-T
worcester
9 posters

Go down

POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY -      BOS 112, MIA 102 Final  Empty POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY - BOS 112, MIA 102 Final

Post by 112288 Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Earns 112-102 Victory In Narrow Battle With Heat
NESN by Logan Mullen on Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:00PM

Twice in as many games, the Boston Celtics took on the Miami Heat. And in the both of those games, the C’s earned a narrow victory.

After beating the Heat in Boston 110-105 on Monday, the C’s snuck past Miami 112-102 on Wednesday at AmericanAirlines Arena in the second leg of the home-and-home.

It was an even affair from start to finish, with the biggest lead of the game only being 10, with six ties and eight lead changes.

Gordon Hayward scored a game-high 25 points. Kyrie Irving (23 points), Al Horford (21), Jayson Tatum (16) and Aron Baynes (10) also scored in double figures.

Dion Waiters had 21 points and was one of six Heat to post double-digit scoring.

With the win, the Celtics climb to 47-32, while the Heat fall to 38-40 with the loss. with the Indiana Pacers also winning Wednesday, the Celtics maintain their ownership of the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Al Horford
C: Aron Baynes

C’S START HOT, THEN COOL DOWN
Despite a good start for the Celtics, they finished the first quarter down 31-29.

Similarly to Monday’s game, the Celtics came out of the gate hot, scoring nine unanswered points in the first 1:59. However, the Heat again did a nice job of not folding, chipping away until they tied it up at 25 with 2:31 left. The two sides then traded chances the rest of the stanza.

Irving led all players with 10 points in the quarter.

CELTICS TAKE CONTROL
The Celtics started to show a little more life in the second quarter, outscoring Miami 24-18 in the stanza to head into the half ahead 53-49.

Neither side could create much separation in the period, but five unanswered points late in the half allowed them to go ahead by eight, their biggest lead since the first quarter, with just under a minute left.

Irving and Hayward led all players with 12 and 10 points, respectively, in the half.

LEVEL-PEGGING
The Celtics were outscored 32-30 in the third quarter, but carried an 83-81 lead into the fourth.

The tenor of the first half continued in the second, with neither side being able to establish an even somewhat commanding lead. A 6-0 stretch for the Celtics shortly before the midway point of the quarter was the biggest run either team put together, putting Boston ahead by seven at that point.

For much of the back half of the quarter, the Celtics kept their advantage around five points, but they conceded the frame’s final four points to let the Heat pull within one possession just before the buzzer.

BOSTON CLOSES DOOR
The Celtics earned the victory after outscoring the hosts 29-21 in the final frame.

During the middle stages of the frame, Tatum dropped nine consecutive points for the Celtics as they built a bit of a cushion. Tatum capped his run with a nice layup with 4:56 left, which put the Celtics ahead 100-94.

An Irving free throw with 2:50 left in the game put the Celtics up by 10, their biggest lead of the game. Though the Heat pulled back within six, they never could get closer the rest of the way.

PLAY OF THE GAME
Horford has been pretty sharp lately.

UP NEXT
The Celtics will conclude their road trip with a big matchup against the Indiana Pacers on Friday. Tip from Bankers Life Fieldhouse is set for 8 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY -      BOS 112, MIA 102 Final  Empty Re: POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY - BOS 112, MIA 102 Final

Post by worcester Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Great win. So happy to see Gordon back in form. Love the way he gets to the line and then sinks the fritos. He is a very efficient scorer. Fine playmaker. Good rebounder.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY -      BOS 112, MIA 102 Final  Empty Re: POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY - BOS 112, MIA 102 Final

Post by worcester Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 am

Hayward's stats last six games:
15.7 ppg
4.35 FT made on 26/30 or 86.6% frito shooting
53% from 2...26/49
35.3% from 3 ...6/15
6.33 RBG
3.2 AST/G

I like how he's developing at the right time.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 am

Hayward is back, just in time for the playoffs!

I wish Tatum would just take the open three as he is an excellent catch and shoot player. He so often fakes the shot then takes a few steps in and shoots an awkward two, falling away off of one foot. Must have learned that from Kobe. Rolling Eyes
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:27 am

Something no one I have seen is commenting on...We are winning the FTA's battles!! OMG!! Who would have known we could do that!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:30 am

Unfortunately, DET didn't help us any last night and lost to IND.  Of course, it all comes down to Friday night in IND.  This will be the end of the Jelly of the Month Club.  We either take it and get 4th or give it back for the last time and so, "No...we REALLY want 5th place for the playoffs.  Thank you, though.  We're good."  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:34 am

DB - Hayward has really helped our frito numbers. Last night especially, going 12/13. He can teach Jayson a thing or two. The refs give him the calls
1. Because he's an established star
2. because he goes to the hoop
3. because he is a gentleman - respectful of the refs
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 am

The Hayward factor on full display. Had hoped for a strong game from him and Terry. 1 for 2 ain't bad.

GH is hitting his stride at the right time. I know Rosalie must be happy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am

Berlin-T wrote:Hayward is back, just in time for the playoffs!

I wish Tatum would just take the open three as he is an excellent catch and shoot player. He so often fakes the shot then takes a few steps in and shoots an awkward two, falling away off of one foot. Must have learned that from Kobe. Rolling Eyes
Totally agree, Tatum already has all the moves, he just needs to learn to use them better, hope he works with Pierce and learns how to get to the line. To be fair, he doesn’t get the calls most times, but it’s coming....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:05 am

A needed win.  Despite having a much shortened bench with Brown (13.0ppg) and Morris (14.0ppg) out we held our own for most of the game and then ballooned out the lead to 10 with only 2:50 left and rode that to victory.  A nice gut win.

Jayson Tatum scored 16 points but, more importantly, 9 of them were in the 4th quarter.  He was 3-11 through 3 but went 3-6 in the 4th.   So, a VERY weak game offensively for 3 quarters but a stellar 4th quarter helped put this game away.  6-17 is still nothing to get excited about.

Al Horford with another great game.  He does SO much for us.  A play we saw Brad run several times, with great success so why not keep running it until they figure out how to stop it, was for Al to cut across the lane and get the ball.  He'd immediately turn and shoot from the paint before the defender could close on him.  If you can execute that well against shot blockers like Bam and Whiteside you should call that play against everybody.  I want 4th place and a home court series, badly, but I want Al's knee to be good for the playoffs even more.

Baynes was a force.  10 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks and just being a general lane clogger.  NOBODY thought he was going to be this valuable at the start of the season.  And you never hear him bitch about not starting, then starting, then not starting again.  Love Baynes.  He's our modern-day Paul Silas, the trencherman who does the dirty work that is needed to win.

Kyrie with his normal game.  23 points and being such a spell-weaver the defenders can't take their eyes off him.  Ho hum.

The start of the game though is Gordon Hayward, obviously.  He is finally rounding into shape, both physically and mentally.  He also got 8 rebounds, 5 assists and a block. He is now, finally, starting to look like the player Danny and Brad were drooling over.  He is scoring, or being an effective floor general who can run the team when Kyrie and/or Smart sit.  He is rebounding well, which has been one of our problems as a team.  Another problem for our team?  Fritos.  Well, he took 13 last night.  I'm not going to say he's "all the way back", he's not, but he's a lot of the way back.  This is the 6th straight game with double digit points for OG.  Jeff Green comparisons are now officially stored away in the time capsule.  I don't think Jeff Green ever had that long a streak.  His highs were pretty damn high, but then it was like falling off a table.  Give me a Gordon Hayward giving us even 15ppg in the playoffs and, if Brown and Theis chip in theirs too, we should be ok.

Rozier, on the other hand, I am not counting on.  As Hayward and Brown are rising at the right time, Rozier is falling into an abyss.  1-5 last night too.  Over the past 10 games Rozier is shooting 33.8% and 28.9% from 3.  One thing I'll give him from last night:  he got a BIG rebound with 1 minutes left.  We were up 8, but they were rallying.  If they had scored it would have been a 2 possession game and enough time to pull it off.  That defensive rebound by TRo all but sealed the win.  By the time Miami got the ball back the lead was still 8 but there were only 39 seconds left.

13 minutes for Brad Wanamaker.  Not generally noteworthy, but I just like his steady game.  You would never know he's an NBA rookie.

Bam Adubayo is, to say the least, a live body.  He's got a future.

The Heat were in danger of getting blown out right out of the gate, they went down 0-9 just like on Monday in Boston, but Kelly Olynyk hit a couple of 3s and wiped that lead out.  10 points for Kelly helped the Heat take a 2 point lead after 1.  Then he pulled a Keyser Soze and disappeared for the rest of the game.  

POST GAME MIAMI - AWAY -      BOS 112, MIA 102 Final  200

Goodbye Dwayne Wade.  I'd like to say I'll miss you but my tongue would burst into flames if I tried...

I've included some post-game interviews by Brad, who explains why Kyrie sat in the late 4th; Kyrie, who talks about his relationship with Brad (isn't that timely with the season winding down and contract season coming up!); and Gordon Hayward talking about, well, Gordon Hayward.  The relief in his voice is almost palpable.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071843

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:23 am

GH is our #2 guy.  Three things I did not know about GH.

He is a lot bigger than I remembered

He reminds me of PP with his ability to get to the line.

He is very unselfish.  He is not just some guy who shoots the 3 ball.  His offensive game is complete.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:03 pm

We're pretty much zeroing in on our potential for a deep playoff run and/or title...Baynes and Hayward. Smart...Locked. Horford...Locked. Kyrie....Big Lock. Jaylen Brown...Locked. Tatum...almost Locked. Morris can almost come and go as he pleases. It would be nice if they would both show up at the same time, but not necessary.

But if Hayward and Baynes show up for 4 games each series like last night, you can pretty much pencil in Banner 18.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Great win - solid effort from Kyrie and particularly Gordon. Definitely missed Jayen and Mook - hope they are ready for Friday Night.

Said it over and over, all season long - Hayward is the X factor and you dont not want to run into this team in a 7 game series when they are clicking.

Patience.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:22 pm

MrKleen,

You and I have disagreed on the right term for this team for this season but we are both right.  Patience and Confounding!!

db

P.S. I will gladly shed mine and jump fully on your bandwagon now!

Last edited by dbrown4 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:22 pm

They moved the ball like I haven't seen since last year. Kyrie came out with two minutes left in the game; as noted by Gorman that was a defensive driven substitution. Translation: Brad is back in control of his team - that's key. Gordon looks like he's about 80% or so of his old self; he says he still lacks his burst and leaping to jam, etc. But he seems to have learned to maximize his 80% self, regardless if the other 20% comes back. About two months ago Gorman also commented on this saying that Gordon's full athleticism may never come back. Lot of good stuff came out of that game.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 pm

dbrown4 wrote:MrKleen,

You and I have disagreed on the right term for this team for this season but we are both right.  Patience and Confounding!!

db

P.S.  I will gladly shed mine and jump fully on your bandwagon now!

D -these are not mutually exclusive terms.  I am just as frustrated as the next person.  I just find that all the complaining negatively affects my ability to enjoy my favorite team.

Some people out here must have a short memory, as this team was REALLY BAD for a long, long time.  

4th in the East, one of the 6 or 7 best teams in the NBA - this is fun.  Enjoy.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm

True...the playoffs are coming whether we are in 4th or 5th or maybe....just maybe 3rd if PHI loses all the rest of their games! Don't look ahead but they are only 3 games back with 4 left and no sign of their bleeding stopping and are playing MIL tonight!

I just cringe at all the games we wasted this season that would have us solidly in 3rd, maybe 2nd. But if it all means a title in the end, I'll be the first to shut my mouth and ask for forgiveness!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down