POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final

4 posters

Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final Empty POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Celtics Wrap: Celtics End Regular Season With 116-110 Win Vs. Wizards

NESN by Abigail Adams on Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 9:41PM

The Boston Celtics were without most of their regular players Tuesday evening in their match against the Washington Wizards at Capital One Arena, but were still able to walk away with a 116-110 win.

Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier were among some of the only regular players to take the court for the Celtics in Washington D.C. Rozier lead the Celtics in scoring against the Wizards with 21 points.

Brad Wanamaker, R.J. Hunter, and Semi Ojeleye also had impressive performances for Boston, earning 17 points each. Brown scored 15 points.

Boston landed 15 of their 44 three-point attempts against Washington in addition to the 51 rebounds and 27 assists they racked up as a team.

The Celtics closed out the season with a 49-33 record thanks to the victory.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Terry Rozier
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Semi Ojeleye
PF: Guerschon Yabusele
C: Robert Williams III

TRYING TO KEEP UP
With so many young faces on the court, it was hard for the Celtics to keep up with the Wizards at times in the first quarter.

The Celtics managed to put up 25 points in the first, but fell behind Washington early. At one point, the Celtics allowed the Wizards to take a 21-point lead.

The Celtics did begin to bounce back, going on an 11-4 run in the final minutes of the quarter. Brown led the team with nine points in the first 12, followed by Rozier and Ojeleye with five.

There were a couple of nice moves made by Boston in the first, including this notable play made by Rozier about halfway through.

The Wizards scored 39 points in the first, 14 of which came from Bradley Beal.

CLOSING THE GAP
The Celtics didn’t waste any time getting back into the game, closing out the half down just one point (63-62) to Washington.

Brad Wanamaker scored nine points for the Celtics in the second, including this floater over three different Wizards.

Williams also got into the action in the second with this insane block on Sam Dekker.

Oh yeah, and then there’s this nice play made by P.J. Dozier.

Surprisingly enough, Boston ended up outscoring the Wizards 38-25 in the second quarter.

STAYING WITH IT
Boston lost a bit of steam heading into the second half of the game, quickly trailing the Wizards by double digits within minutes. Washington maintained a healthy 10-point lead on the Celtics for most of the third quarter.

But the Celtics didn’t give up, bringing the Wizard’s lead down to just six points by the end of the quarter.

Brown continued to perform well in the third, including this steal:

Despite regaining the lead, the Wizards only outscored the Celtics by five points in the third quarter.

BREAKING AWAY
The Wizards entered the fourth quarter with a 95-89 lead on the Celtics, but that wouldn’t last very long.

The Celtics took a 98-97 lead with just eight minutes left in the game thanks to a layup from Ojeleye — and they never looked back from there.

Boston outscored the Wizards 27-15 in the final quarter of Tuesday’s game, keeping the lead.

This dunk by Hunter says it all.

This three-point shot by Hunter was also gold.

Boston’s young guns were on point on Tuesday, and they made sure Washington knew it.

In the end, the Boston bench was simply too much for the 11th place Wizards to handle, unable to regain the lead they had held for more than three-quarters of the game.

PLAY OF THE GAME

This dunk by Dozier sure was a doozy.

UP NEXT

The Celtics will take on the Indiana Pacers in the first round of the playoffs. Postseason scheduled will be released on Wednesday.

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final Empty Re: POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final

Post by worcester Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

What a beautiful comeback.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final Empty Re: POST GAME WASHINGTON - AWAY FINAL REGUALR SEASON GAME #82 - BOS 116, WAS 110 Final

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 pm

HEY,

WHEN DOES TRAINING CAMP START!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

For a non-blow out this was a very pleasing game for me, because it meant nothing.  We were down by 21 at one point and I didn't care.  It was beautiful.  It would have been a blow out on our end if Beal hadn't played the first half and lit us up with 16 points on 6-11 and if we hit our fritos (we were 11-23 for 48%).  We played no starters, so of course possible All-NBA player Bradley Beal was going to have fun.  I believe Washington started their regular starting 5.  That's how bad Washington is, Their starters with a half of Beal, couldn't beat our 2nd and 3rd units with excellent contributions from our 2-way playing G-leaguers.

Rozier and Brown kept us in the game for the first half despite Beal, as they should have.  Rozier, in particular, had a very good night.  Brown's numbers would have been better but he blew a few bunnies.   The problem with those two, but especially Rozier, isn't that they can't play well.  It's that they struggle to come off the bench and play well.  Brown has adapted to the loss of his starting job better than Rozier.  Unfortunately, just as there is only one ball there are only 5 starting spots and the competition for Jaylen, in particular, with Smart playing well and Gordon finally rounding back into shape is very stiff.  Jaylen shot well on offense but was very spotty on defense and made some bad passing decisions.  Dozier's man came around a pick set by Jaylen's man and Brown didn't switch, so they got a dunk.  He also made a lazy pass that got picked off.  

Scal and Mike were talking up PJ Dozier.  I'm looking at the boxscore and I'm saying "what are they talking about?  He's 2-9 for Pete's Sake!" (he was 2-7 at halftime).  Then he started to get aggressive and things started to work for him.  He ended up 5-14, which is still really bad, but he started 1-9 and was 1-6 from 3.  So, stop taking 3s, PJ.  He missed almost all his outside shots but was perfect inside the restricted area.  12 points, admittedly on 14fgas, and 11 rebounds, 4 of them offensive.  He also had 2 steals and 5 assists with ZERO turnovers.  I think he's going to find a spot on this team next year.  Brad played him 37 minutes last night.  Granted with Kyrie and Smart out and with Rozier being done after just 24 minutes there were lots of guard minutes to be had but Brad just shoveled them to Dozier.  I can't wait for a Dozier-to-Rozier, or vice versa, play.  It'll give me a feeling of clozier (sorry).

Hunter was another who started out cold and then heated up.  6 points after 3 on 2-6, all of them 3s, isn't going to earn you a spot on next year's team.  Then he went off in the 4th.  A 4-7, 11 point, 4th quarter for BobC's favorite player.  He was up on his man on defense.  Enough for a spot next year?  Hmmm.  I think Dozier might be ahead of him.  Sorry, Bob.

The Time Lord repeatedly spaced out on defense.  He fouled out and the most remarkable part of that is that he played 15 minutes in the 2nd half before he picked up his 5th and 6th fouls.  He repeatedly blew defensive rotations.  We love his dunks, we love his rebounding (he had 11) and we love his blocks (he had 3) but he is SO raw.  I don't think his BBIQ is very high.  He has an absolute golden opportunity here.  We have an aging Al Horford who is the perfect mentor.  To make that happen, however, Williams needs to "see things faster".  He's a rookie, so I'm not saying we should throw him on the trash heap, I'm just pointing out he has a LONG way to go before he's even a rotation player.  Brad is not going to play a player who regularly blows defensive rotations, natural talent be damned.

I also agree with Scal and Mike when they said Brad Wanamaker is going to play in the NBA somewhere next year.  I don't know what Danny is going to do this offseason, I never do, but if Rozier is gone then I would be very happy if Danny re-signs Brad Wanamaker and Brad gives him Rozier's minutes.  Aside from shooting 6-13 he also had 7 assists and only 1 TO.  That's good floor generalship.  6 rebounds.  He also took 7 of the Celtics' 23 total ftas.  Do we need someone who can get to the line?  Oh Hell Yeah.  I like the very non-flashy but effective Brad Wanamaker.

Take 2-time All-Star Bradley Beal out of the equation and we did quite well.  Now it's time to go 16-0.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071884

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I too liked BW's play last night and all season. RW does look raw and perhaps even worse, unintelligent. By now I expected he would understand his defensive assignments. He does not.

I love Jaylen, but he too is not always aware of his defensive responsibilities...and enough with the lazy passes.

Otherwise, a very fun game to watch
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm

The Timelord played pretty damn good. 11 rebounds, challenges at the rim and 3 block shots and a steal.  I am not going to question his bbiq because stupidity is a common trait among athletes and I know of none that achieved genius status on their test score.

I'M gonna read the widely read publication entitiled.

'Rebounding And Shot Blocking For Dummies'

After that I am going to read 'Gardening Tips'  or how to landscape using weeds.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:47 pm

RW is not stupid, but he has not fully cultivated his defensive IQ. Were KG his coach he would have learned more by now and quickly. KG was a master at teaching and demanding proper defensive rotations and assignments.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm

worcester wrote:RW is not stupid, but he has not fully cultivated his defensive IQ. Were KG his coach he would have learned more by now and quickly. KG was a master at teaching and demanding proper defensive rotations and assignments.

True

RW biggest issue at both ends is where to be.

He tends to stand around outside of the paint and does not anticipate where to establish a more favorable position.  He is either dumb as a rock or lacking big man coaching attention.  But maybe a little of each.

He may be traded this summer as part of the AD acquisition if a deal is made.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down