+4
NYCelt
kdp59
dbrown4
dboss
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming Empty The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

The Celtics will play the Pacers in the first round of the playoffs.

I think I prefer this matchup over a Celtics/Nets matchup.

With Olidipo gone for the year, the top player for Indiana has been Bojon Bogdanovic who is averaging a career high with 18 PPG and he also knocks down the deep ball at 42%.  If you are not engaged he will sneak by you and try to get to the rim.  He is also an excellent free throw shooter.

Other guys will make some shots but without Victor the top of their offense begins and ends with Bogdanovic.  Shut him down and the Pacers will struggle to score the basketball.

I have Boston winning this series 4-1.

Smart and Tatum are nicked up a bit but nothing serious there.  We need a healthy roster and appear to have that in hand.

Now that Hayward is really back and Baynes is getting more time in the middle the Celtics are all set to start this post-season off on the right foot.
With a full roster it will be interesting to see how deep Brad goes.  I think we will see a 9 man rotation along with some left over minutes for guys like Theis, Semi.  Some small ball lineups may require their presence.

I saw an interesting article about Jaylen Brown.  According to the article he is second in 4th QTR scoring to Kyrie Irving.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/what-can-jaylen-brown-do-celtics-get-buckets-4th-quarter.

Earlier in the year we had some debates over who finishes.  I do not know if Brown should be on the floor at the end but his 4th QTR production cannot be ignored.    In the end it may very well come down to matchup situations and Brad has several different ending game combinations to use.  Now that Gordon is BACK he must be on the floor when the game is on the line because he has a lot of versatility.

Best of luck to the Boston Celtics as they enter what should be a very competitive and challenging pot season.  There is little margin for error.  They need to ball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming Empty Re: The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Not counting chickens, but it will really come down to the second round vs. MIL as to how far we will go.

I think MIL will fold up like a cheap suit because they are one dimensional with The Freak, especially if he goes down. Also, the fact that the playoffs are on a different plane altogether. Celtics with WAY more experience here.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming Empty Re: The Playoffs Are Coming, The Playoffs Are Coming

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Not counting chickens, but it will really come down to the second round vs. MIL as to how far we will go.  

I think MIL will fold up like a cheap suit because they are one dimensional with The Freak, especially if he goes down.  Also, the fact that the playoffs are on a different plane altogether.  Celtics with WAY more experience here.  

db    

DB

The Freak is special but the Bucks are special.  They are at or near the tops in so many statistical areas.

#1 Scoring
#1 Rebounding
#3 Field goal percentage
#2 Blocks
#1 Defensive Efficiency
#3 Points In the paint
#2 4th QTR scoring

They are a well coached team and play very well together.  The only thing I feel good about in playing them is that Malcolm Brogdon is injured.  But they are saying he could be back by the EC semi-finals.

Last year we had home court advantage in what turned out to be a grueling 7 game series.  The Celtics will have to be on the top of their game to take out the Bucks.  

They do not look like a team that will fold.  They get Buckets down the stretch.  You miss, they make.

I see the Bucks winning.  I do not think Boston has it all together.  I hope I am wrong about this but I have seen nothing from the Celtics including their late surge that tells me they will play with a high level of consistency.

Again I hope I am totally wrong about this.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm

All it takes is a chink in the armor...We can find that.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm

dbrown4 wrote:All it takes is a chink in the armor...We can find that.

db

I agree. Anything can happen. Win that first game on the road and the series changes.

I am just pointing out that the highend statistics for the Bucks support their standing as the #1 team in the NBA this year. If there is a team in the East to challenge the Bucks it is probably Boston. I just are less then 50% that it will happen.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Yeah look formidable...so did Wilt and the Lakers. I'm with you though, dboss!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:03 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Yeah look formidable...so did Wilt and the Lakers.  I'm with you though, dboss!

db

I do not recall The Celtics beating the Lakers with Wilt. (never played them when Wilt was there in the Playoffs_)

But i could be wrong
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:09 pm

yep I'm wrong about that
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm

I think any of the top 4 teams in the east could win it and play GS in the finals

Mil, Tor, Philly and US.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:31 pm

If I was handicapping the race, I see it as a total of 6 teams with a shot to reach the finals. Two from the West, 4 from the East.

in order, by conference;

West;
1. GSW
2. Houston

East;
1. Bucks
2. Raptors
3. 76ers
4. Celtics

I see Boston as the most vulnerable of the six. Not because of a lack of talent, but because of the ongoing nagging injury situation. Too many players fighting either chronic issues, or newer injuries.

Stay healthy, and Boston has the potential to go deep. Perhaps East finals. Stay dinged up; make your summer tee times.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Kdp59 and NYCelt

I have to agree with your take on things.

The Celtics need to get past Indy and they become stronger as the playoffs moves on.  Boston is 2-2 against Bucks and Raptors and have owned both Philly and Indy.  We have to win on the road against Bucks /Raptors. Get one on the road and odds change in our favor.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:19 am

1968-9 Wilt was on the Lakers. We smoked them in the great balloon game seven. Sam wrote a great piece on that win. It's in our archives.

Last edited by worcester on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:02 am

worcester wrote:1968-9 Wilt was on the Lakers. We smoked them in the great balloon game seven. Sam write a great piece on that win. It's in our archives.

I remember that game but I had forgotten it earlier. It was a great 7 game series and Russell and the Celtics refused to lose. All those ballons that could never come down.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am

The Celts finished 4th in the regular season that year too. Russ was the player-coach and he had missed a bunch of games with injury. That was one of my favorite championships. So sweet.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Auerbach showed up at the gym early, saw the balloons in the ceiling, and heard that a marching band was all set to play “Happy Days Are Here Again” at the end of the game. He wrote it on the board, told Russell what was going on, and Russ said “no f...way those balloons are going to fall tonight and that marching band will go home without playing a song!!!!!! Celtics went out and beat the Lakers in what would be Bill Russell’s and Sam Jones last games.

OH THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I need to correct something I mentioned under another thread (I do not remember which thread)

I stated the Celtics were 2-2 against the Bucks this year.

They were actually 1-2

They won at home 117-113
Lost at home 120-107
Lost on the road 98-97

After we get past the Pacers we can discuss the Bucks in greater detail. I hope Detroit shows up. They went 0-4 against the bucks this year. My hope is that Detroit plays hard and pounds them on the glass and softens them up a bit before we play them in round 2.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:24 pm

dboss wrote:I need to correct something I mentioned under another thread (I do not remember which thread)

I stated the Celtics were 2-2 against the Bucks this year.

They were actually 1-2

They won at home 117-113
Lost at home 120-107
Lost on the road 98-97

After we get past the Pacers we can discuss the Bucks in greater detail.  I hope Detroit shows up.  They went 0-4 against the bucks this year. My hope is that Detroit plays hard and pounds them on the glass and softens them up a bit before we play them in round 2.

Blake Griffin has a sore knee and will miss at least the first game, maybe more. Detroit is fucked.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 am

Detroit was effed long before the playoffs started with their lousy draw.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 am

We already know changes are coming to BOS at the end of the playoffs. We are only uncertain of the degree.

These other teams, TOR, PHI, MIL...they have A LOT to lose and at least two of those three will be HIGHLY disappointed with these playoffs. They will come up way shorter than we ever will even if we get swept in the 1st Round, the worst case scenario for. Not likely to happen.

Those three bozos have way more to lose and will lose way more than we ever will. They have bet the ranch. Heads will roll. We are BY FAR in the best possible position of anyone in the East. Hands down.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Some interesting Yahoo Sports playoff thoughts.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-playoffs-is-anybody-under-more-pressure-than-james-harden-155822881.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Raptors' Anunoby out after appendectomy

Embid questionable for G1 due to a sore knee.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Embid may be out for the first game of the playoffs
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Embid may be out for the first game of the playoffs

Embiid is officially listed as "doubtful." "Questionable" would mean there's decent chance he might play. Doubtful? Not so much.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:19 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Embid may be out for the first game of the playoffs

Joel Embiid (knee) is DOUBTFUL. Jonah Bolden (knee), Embiid’s back-up is questionable. James Ennis (quad) is out.

Embiid offered a troubling (for 76ers fans) assessment of his condition.

“Even within the pain, it is still possible [to play] but whatever I have been feeling the past couple of days has been different. It still hasn’t changed,” he said. “Everything is good on the scans but the pain level hasn’t changed. It got worse.”

https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/4/12/18308522/playoffs-game-1-nets-travel-to-philly-for-first-post-season-since-2015

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am

I would love to see the Nets sweep Philly.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next