cowens/oldschool
kdp59
dbrown4
RosalieTCeltics
dboss
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’ Empty Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:00 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lakers-president-magic-johnson-193202238.html

Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’

Dan Feldman, NBC Sports
3 hours ago

Magic Johnson did a nice job setting up the Lakers to land a star free agent last summer. He even lured the biggest star free agent of all – LeBron James.

And then it all went downhill from there.

Johnson had terrible ideas of how to build a supporting cast around LeBron. The Lakers prioritized their notion of tough playmakers – Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Michael Beasley – over shooters. As if LeBron would truly be content playing off the ball. Of course, the player with the greatest combination of scoring and passing in NBA history wanted the ball in his hands. That left LeBron surrounded by ill-fitting, and just plain not-good-enough, teammates.

How did Johnson think this was a good plan?

Maybe by not working hard enough to come up with a better one.

Bill Oram of The Athletic:

"Johnson is seen as an absentee executive"

If Johnson isn’t putting in the work, that’d be a major problem for the Lakers. He wouldn’t be alone throughout the league, and the Lakers have other executives, including general manager Rob Pelinka. But Johnson is in charge of the front office. Running an NBA team’s basketball operations is a hard job that requires a lot of work to do well. It’s on him to move the Lakers forward – especially because he has so much job security.

Lakers owner Jeanie Buss has repeatedly stated her faith in Johnson. She also defended Phil Jackson after the Knicks firing him despite him being unprepared, out of touch, unavailable and low energy. Buss just might have too much patience for lackluster work ethics, especially by people she’s close with.

And no wonder Johnson’s comments after not trading for Anthony Davis went over so poorly within the Lakers. Executives who build strong connections with their players can get through those situations. It’s much more difficult when the team president isn’t around to establish a bond in the first place.

To be fair, the Lakers were right to pursue Davis. He’s a superstar. The opportunity to land him justified potential chemistry disruptions.

But that wasn’t the Lakers’ only discussed move that showcases the organization’s flaws.

Oram:

"on the weekend of Jan. 25, the Lakers had a tentative deal in place to acquire Bulls forward Jabari Parker in exchange for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Michael Beasley, league sources told The Athletic."

Because he’s on a one-year contract and would have Early Bird Rights, Caldwell-Pope had the right to veto a trade. The Lakers also got into the mix for Davis, putting other deals on the backburner. So, the Parker trade never happened.

But it would have been awful for the Lakers. Parker would have been yet another player who doesn’t do enough without the ball.

At least the Lakers avoided that mistake.

To avoid the next one, they’ll probably need a front-office leader more focused on the job.

bob
MY NOTE: I have NO idea if this is true or not or even remotely fair, but I do know one thing: NOBODY would ever say something like this about Danny. He is full-on engaged.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’ Empty Re: Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’

Post by dboss Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Magic resigned
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’ Empty Re: Report: Lakers president Magic Johnson viewed as ‘absentee executive’

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 pm

It is true, big mouth Draper is going to talk about it

As I said on Game on.....LaVar taking over

I cannot wait to see what Stephen A has to say, big mouth
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am

Only reason one resigns is to avoid being fired.  Someone tipped him off the ax was swinging and he was the only one standing.  Nice duck.  As predicted right here months ago.  No Magic before the end of the season.    

Besides, this wouldn't look good to his own business and those employees if he were fired.  Smart move.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 am

dbrown4 wrote:Only reason one resigns is to avoid being fired.  Someone tipped him off the ax was swinging and he was the only one standing.  Nice duck.  As predicted months ago.  No Magic before the end of the season.    

Besides, this wouldn't look good to his own business and those employees if he were fired.  Smart move.

db  

exactly what i was thinking when the read the article. The part where they said he had a long dinner with Buss the night before and "didn't tell her".

ummm yeah.... me thinks that dinner went something like this

Buss: Earvin,...I'm afraid we're going to have go in a new direction here

Magic: yeah I know...I have my yacht ready for my yearly around the world trip and can't WAIT for this season to end...LOL.

Bus: uuuumm...NO I mean I'm letting you go. You can say you are resigning if you want to save face.

Magic: huh!

forward to press conference and the Buss twitter reply...it all fits then.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 am

They are absolutely drooling over this on ESPN. That blowhard, Brian Windhorst, who I believe is on the Laker payroll, is defending Johnson six ways to hell.
Let's face it, there are guys cut out to be Presidents and then there are the fakers. The rumor mill had Johnson as an absentee executive, that doesn't surprise me. One of his big excuses was that he was not able to smooze with the players for fear of being charged with tampering. Please, Magic, that is ridiculous. Excuses. He did not want to be the hard guy, having to fire Walton. Again, Please Magic. Enough. You stunk, period. When you couldn't pull off the AD trade, you had mud all over you. You did it in public,and then you lost your team because of iti.

Now what Jeannie????Kobe????Shaq said no last night on the air. This is absolutely crazy. Magic .....you are full of it. What a story

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

Jeez as a career Laker hater, I almost feel sorry for them, Magic was terrible at his job, getting rid of DeAngelo Russell, letting Randle walk, getting nothing, not getting enough shooters around Lebron....???

Lebron is gonna be 35 next year, Father Time is undefeated or else Muhammad Ali, Magic and Bird would all still be playing. Don’t think Kyrie is going there, and if he still wants to, let him....the way Magic could play free and instinctively as a player, he sure couldn’t do as a president/GM. Other players like Danny could figure it out, the process, the game within the game of playing/managing a franchise within all the rules and media....Magic wasn’t good at it and couldn’t do it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 am

Let's give Magic credit...he did land LeBron.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Magic's job, the reason why he was hired, was to use his smile and reputation to lure talent to LA.  He got LeBron, and that's something.  Is LeBron approaching the end of his reign?  Yes, but if he can lure some players around him in his last few years then Magic will have accomplished his mission.  Did Sam Hinkie get to see The Promised Land?  No, but he put "the process" in motion to get there.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:09 am

Being a Hall of Fame basketball player is a lot different from being a coach or a top executive responsible for building a franchise.

Magic inherited some terrible contracts and to his credit he has created CAP space to sign an elite level players but in the process of building the Lakers he also made a few too many mistakes.  The engagement with NOLA significantly weakened his position and his team.  

I think Magic tried to fast break his way into building a contender.  He was a novice at his job.  He was able to sign one of the greatest players ever to play in Lebron James and then proceeded to neglect to surround him with shooters.  The Lonzo Ball draft pick was one of the worse ever given who was still on the board.  

The Lakers franchise looks as tarnished as the Celtics franchise did when they gave Rick Pitino all the power.

I look for them to add some quality talent now.  They cannot wait.  I could see them landing a guy like Kimba Walker or Kris Middleton or even a shooter like Bojan Bogdanovic.  I really do not see any of the Elite free agents going there to throw their hat into a three ring circus. One other thing they need to address is on the defensive end of the court. Basically they need both shooters an defenders.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 am

It is clear that this was not the job that Magic wanted.
Magic wants to be an NBA ambassador.
Talk to whoever he wants to, use his fame to promote the game.
Magic wants to be involved with the Dodgers and many other business ventures.
He did not want to come to the office everyday and put the time in that is required to be a successful President of an NBA team.

I'm confused at how this all was handled.
Why resign in that way and at that time?
What does this mean for Luke Walton?

Time to move past Magic and to find a new President.
My vote is strongly in the favor of former Cavs GM David Griffin.
And that vote is not at all because of Lebron.
Griffin is super smart, very well respected, articulate and would not be distracted by other business ventures.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 am

TJ

In my opinion the Lakers can get back on track by addressing some team needs.

They will have the CAP space to do that. If they renounce their CAP holds they will be sitting on enough money to sign two high end free agents. But they need to be mindful of what is needed. If they Keep Luke Walton as coach and that becomes a big question with a new head guy coming in, he should have a lot of input in what type of players they pursue.

I have heard Griffin's name mentioned a lot. He seems to be getting a lot of credit for what he accomplished in Cleveland. Maybe too much credit.

Whoever arrives in LA they have their work cut out for them. LAL cannot afford to blow away another year without adding quality around Lebron James.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 pm

He just wanted to be a hero to all, TJ. What he did, do you believe that she really didn’t know he was going to quit? Supposedly they had met for hours the night before.

Magic is Magic, he should never have taken this job. He is the Laker icon, period. Jerry West you got dumped on, Shaq said last night he wanted no part of this debacle let Kobe take it, Kobe is too involved with his book writing, his Hollywood career. So, they are going to have to go outside the “Laker group” tend hire someone with no ties.
David Griffin has been a name thrown out there, there you go, LeBron would accept that easily.

Where does this leave Walton? If a team came knocking that he liked, I would go before they fire him (of course, there may be $ involved here that will make it difficult for him to just quit)

The Lakers will land on their feet, they still have a decent core, young guys who will grow with time, LeBron for ????? And I am sure he willl convince a free agent to come for the ride.

You have to admit, this was like a circus show last night
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm

tjmakz wrote:It is clear that this was not the job that Magic wanted.
Magic wants to be an NBA ambassador.
Talk to whoever he wants to, use his fame to promote the game.
Magic wants to be involved with the Dodgers and many other business ventures.
He did not want to come to the office everyday and put the time in that is required to be a successful President of an NBA team.

I'm confused at how this all was handled.
Why resign in that way and at that time?
What does this mean for Luke Walton?

Time to move past Magic and to find a new President.
My vote is strongly in the favor of former Cavs GM David Griffin.
And that vote is not at all because of Lebron.
Griffin is super smart, very well respected, articulate and would not be distracted by other business ventures.

He did draft Anthony Bennett with the number one pick in the draft. That is not very smart. I know the draft wasn't that good but Anthony was arguably the worst number one pick ever.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Let's give Magic credit...he did land LeBron.

db
Credit denied. LeBron was headed there Magic or no Magic
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Lakers organization is a mess Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Lakers organization is a mess Laughing
No shit

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am

Time to apply Newton's Law, or whichever one says for each action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. We and the Lakers don't hold almost 50% of the banners without coming back strong and just as strong as we/LA were/are bad. Look out, Danny. You wanted LA vs. BOS for the next 10 years? It's coming and way sooner than you think.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down