POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY - BOS 120, LAL 107 Final

+3
dboss
cowens/oldschool
7 posters

Go down

POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY -  BOS 120, LAL 107 Final   Empty POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY - BOS 120, LAL 107 Final

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Celtics Wrap: Kyrie Irving Leads Boston To Blowout win Against Lakers

NESN by Dakota Randall on Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:49PM

There’s no telling whether the Boston Celtics truly have turned a corner, but it’s hard to argue with results.

The Celtics began their four-game West Coast road trip with a blowout win over the Golden State Warriors and a thrilling win over the Sacramento Kings. And they continued their hot play Saturday night with a xx-xx win over the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center.

Kyrie Irving was flat-out disgusting, finishing with a team-high 30 points on 12-of-18 shooting. The star point guard also registered five assists and seven rebounds. Boston also got strong contributions from Marcus Smart and Marcus Morris, who each finished with 16 points. Al Horford chipped in with 10 points and eight rebounds, while Gordon Hayward continued his resurgence with 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting.

LeBron James finished with 30 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds for a ho-hum triple double. The Lakers were playing without Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram, both of whom are done for the season. Kyle Kuzma also sat out with an injured ankle.

With the win, the Celtics improved to 41-26, while the Lakers dropped to 30-26 with the loss.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Marcus Morris Sr.
C: Al Horford

COMPETITIVE FIRST
Horford had the hot hand early on for Boston, scoring the Celtics’ first six points. The Lakers kept the score close, but the Celtics really controlled play for much of the quarter, finishing the frame with a 25-24 lead.

Irving was his usual silky-smooth self, knocking down a pair of 3-pointers.

Boston also got great play from Morris, who scored five points in the quarter, and Jaylen Brown, who continued the aggressive play that’s enabled him to emerge from his early-season funk.

CELTICS STAR TO PULL AWAY
The Celtics widened their lead in the second quarter — as they should have.

The Lakers took the lead at multiple points in the quarter, but the Celtics closed the frame with a 19-8 run over the final 5:42 to enter the locker room with a 57-47 lead.

Smart had a strong second quarter, scoring five points to finish the half with seven.

Irving continued to dazzle, finishing the half with 11 points and four assists, including this dime to Morris:

Boston’s bench had a big night, as well.

Brown and Hayward each finished the half with five points, while Aron Baynes and Terry Rozier finished with four points apiece.

James finished the half with nine points, five assists and two rebounds while playing in just 13 minutes.

THE KYRIE SHOW
Irving was doing Irving things in the third quarter.

It was Smart, though, who really came out firing to start the second half. The suddenly red-hot guard knocked down three 3-pointers in the first 2:13 of the frame to put the Celtics up 17.

The Lakers responded with a 12-0 run to make it 68-63 midway through the frame.

Then Irving took over with plays like this:

Irving scored 11 points in third, giving him 22 points through three quarters. Hayward also continued his hot play, scoring five points in the frame.

James did his best to keep the Lakers in the game, scoring nine points to finish with 18 through three quarters.

The Celtics took a 93-76 lead into the fourth.

CELTICS COAST
James exited the game with just under five minutes to play, and the Celtics cruised to victory from there.

Honestly, this is all you need to see:

It was that kind of night for Irving and the Celtics

PLAY OF THE GAME
Yeah, let’s watch that again.

UP NEXT
The Celtics will wrap up their West Coast road trip Monday night against the Los Angeles Clippers. Tip from Staples Center is set for 10:30 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY -  BOS 120, LAL 107 Final   Empty Re: POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY - BOS 120, LAL 107 Final

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:39 am

I was frustrated watching this game, with all the Lakers injuries, we should have blew them out from the start, but realize can’t get up for every game and it was a road game.....butt it was the Lakers god damn it!!!!

Kyrie not dominating ball too much and put on a show and efficient!! Made some Kyrie moves that only he makes. GH another efficient game, love what we are seeing from him. Smart got hot in 3rd and carried us for that stretch, love his improvements in shooting and TR hitting some shots.

2 J’s really off, never got in a rythmn, glad this performance is behind them. Tatum with one really boneheaded play trying to do a one man break thru people, he had other guys on the wing, this is a basic play kids can make on how to run a fast break, Coach K didn’t teach him how to be middleman on a break? Don’t get it, he’s so fockin talented and why so many times he refuses to pass the ball upcourt on a
break...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY -  BOS 120, LAL 107 Final   Empty Re: POST GAME LA LAKERS - AWAY - BOS 120, LAL 107 Final

Post by dboss Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:47 am

Cow

There were times in this game where Boston did not look good.

In the end it was a much needed win and one step closer to a 4-0 road trip.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:10 pm

1st time Boston has started the west coast swing 3 - 0 since 1966.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:16 pm

NYCelt wrote:1st time Boston has started the west coast swing 3 - 0 since 1966.

Wow 1966.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:24 pm

NYCelt,

That's incredible. Just goes to show what an advantage home court really is when you're across the country.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Morris struggled in the first half a bit, but he hit a couple of big shots in the fourth to help regain the big lead and put some distance between the Celtics and Lakers.

I agree, with all the injuries, I felt it should have been a 30 point plus lead. What the Lakers would look like without LeBron is a scary thought (for them). He carried them for the whole game.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Morris struggled in the first half a bit, but he hit a couple of big shots in the fourth to help regain the big lead and put some distance between the Celtics and Lakers.

I agree, with all the injuries, I felt it should have been a 30 point plus lead. What the Lakers would look like without LeBron is a scary thought (for them). He carried them for the whole game.

If they have their full lineup, a big if as a lot of their young players have injury issues, they can be a load.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 pm

I barely watched any of the game, it was my annual (semi-annual?) all-night poker game (I lost $84, but I made a bone-headed mistake on the last hand that probably cost me $25).  Didn't get home until past 4am this morning, Eastern DAYLIGHT Time.  I found myself folding a little quicker than I might otherwise have done so I could turn around and watch the TV.  Probably saved myself some money...

The snippets I saw looked like both teams looked pretty good, all in all.  Considering how ridiculously short-handed the Lakers were I think they did themselves and their fans proud.

Don't look now but, despite that awful 4 game losing streak, we are now only 1/2 game behind Philly.  If Indiana can beat them today in Philly we will be tied and then we can go ahead with a win over the Clippers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down