+6
steve3344
cowens/oldschool
mrkleen09
dboss
tardust
10 posters

Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final Empty ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final

Post by 112288 Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Survives Tale Of Two Halves In Game 3 Win Vs. Pacers

NESN by Chris Grenham on Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 10:59PM

After two games where neither team did much scoring, the Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers came out firing Friday night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The two sides combined for 60 first-half points, only to have their respective offenses come to a screeching halt out of halftime. It quickly turned into a rock fight, but the Celtics would ultimately prevail in another impressive and gritty performance by a score of 104-96.

In an up-and-down game, Jaylen Brown was Boston’s one consistent contributor from start to finish. The 22-year-old finished with 23 points on 8-of-9 shooting (4-of-5 3-PT) to go along with six rebounds.

In addition to Brown, Kyrie Irving (19 points), Jayson Tatum (18 points), Al Horford (16 points) and Marcus Morris (11 points) also scored in double-figures.

The Pacers were led by Tyreke Evans, who finished with 19 points.

The Celtics now lead the series 3-0.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Al Horford
C: Aron Baynes

SCALDING START
After the Pacers scored the game’s first three points, the Celtics responded with a swift 9-0 run, which continued throughout the remainder of the quarter. Boston opened a scalding 9-of-13 from the floor (4-of-5 3PT).

The Celtics would ultimately shoot 66.7 percent (80 percent 3PT) and lead 41-28 after one, which was the highest scoring quarter of their 2019 postseason run.

Jaylen Brown led all scorers with 12 points on 4-of-4 shooting. He was 3-of-3 from deep in his best scoring quarter of the playoffs.

BACK EVEN
Boston began the second quarter with some sloppy turnovers, allowing Indiana to cut into the deficit. The Celtics remained hot from deep, but their defense was extremely subpar and Indiana took full advantage.

A 17-3 run over a three minute span brought the Pacers even with just under five minutes to go in the quarter. Indiana’s strong offensive showing gave them the lead with 1:24 left.

After scoring 41 points in the first quarter, the Celtics trailed 61-59 at halftime. Boston had just eight points in the paint over the first 24 minutes of this one.

Tyreke Evans led all players with 15 first-half points.

ICE COLD
Brown was the lone Celtics player shooting well early in the third quarter, but the Pacers weren’t exactly lights out themselves. Before a Tatum turnaround with 7:20 remaining, the two sides combined for 10 straight misses, which was part of an Indiana scoring drought that lasted close to six minutes.

The third quarter quickly took the series’ familiar form of a rock fight, after Friday’s first half was a rare track meet.

Indiana finished the third quarter 6-of-25 from the floor, compared to Boston’s 7-of-25 profile. Despite the ugly quarter, the Celtics used a 9-2 run to head into the fourth leading 80-73.

STELLAR FOURTH
The fourth quarter was a tight, grind-it-out finish, similar to that of Game 2.

Down the stretch, the Celtics turned to Irving, who really took control in crunch-time. The all-star point guard controlled the pace, made the right passes, and was Boston’s go-to scorer in the closing minutes.

When Irving couldn’t convert with about 90 seconds left, it was Gordon Hayward who came up with a huge tip-in to put the Celtics up eight.

Irving sunk two free throws with 47.9 seconds left to put Boston ahead by eight once again, which would put this one out of reach. Indiana was 11-of-39 from the floor in the second-half.

PLAY OF THE GAME
Crunch-time Kyrie is ridiculous.

UP NEXT
The Celtics and Pacers will meet for Game 4 of the series Sunday with Boston looking for a first-round sweep. Tip from Bankers Life Fieldhouse is set for 1:00 p.m. ET.

Back to top Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final

Post by tardust Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:14 pm

I don't want to trade Brown or Tatum. Keep them both and get a free agent to come to town. Davis isn't the only fish in the sea.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #3 INDY - AWAY - Boston 104 Indiana 96 Final

Post by dboss Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:47 pm

The impact of winning this game on the road, in what was a must win situation for the Pacers, establishes in the minds of the Pacers that they cannot beat Boston.

For the 3rd straight game Boston held them under 100 points.

The stage is set for a game 4 closeout and a quick trip to the 2nd round.

This game turned into a war.  It was like 2 heavyweights pounding each other.  Things looked a bit dicey as Indy was getting points in the paint but in the end Boston has too many options.

Jaylen Brown was a killer leading all scorers with 23 points and he went 8-9 from the filed.  He also grabbed 7 boards.

Once again Kyrie Irving made a ton of plays in dishing out 10 assists to go along with 19 points and 5 rebounds.  Jason Tatum was great dropping 18 and also collecting 7 boards.

Morris bounced back from his sub-par performance in game 2 by scoring 11 with 7 boards.

Al had another solid game with 16 points and 8 boards.  He also handed out 4 assists.  Rozier had 9 and while Hayward struggled he made a great tip in.  He also had 5 boards and 6 points.

Baynes brought the physicality that we needed.

This was truly a team win with multiple players defending, rebounding and scoring the basketball.

The Pacers are a well coached team but they just do not have enough firepower.  Defensively they  are stout but so is Boston.

Theis played sparingly as Brad is sticking with an 8 man rotation.  This shortened rotation has contributed to more continuity.

Game 4 will be desperation time for Indy as Boston has them right on the very edge of a cliff.

Great game all around!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Gold Dont Quit - but they do leave early. Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 am

tardust wrote:I don't want to trade Brown or Tatum.  Keep them both and get a free agent to come to town.  Davis isn't the only fish in the sea.

Cannot argue about your statement. You are spot on.

BOOGIE ANYONE?

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:37 am

112288 wrote:
tardust wrote:I don't want to trade Brown or Tatum.  Keep them both and get a free agent to come to town.  Davis isn't the only fish in the sea.

Cannot argue about your statement.  You are spot on.

BOOGIE ANYONE?

Great idea, no one be giving him near a max.

Last game loved everything Tatum did, and loved JB’s defense and overall play, but he only took 4 shots, knew he was due. Jaylen is so athletic and strong, he’s actually faster than 90% of 2’s and as strong or stronger than most 3’s. He had some turnovers that bob heckler got on him for, hey bob he’s still learning the game and while learning is a major asset, can effect the game in many ways. His defense these playoffs has been stellar, he and JT have so much upside, I thought Tatum could have been more aggressive today, but hey they just be getting started....they go after it. Let’s give the kids and team some credit, we are without our grittiest and arguably best defensive player in Smart and we’ve had some serious great defensive shutdown stretches these playoffs

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:04 am

In the playoffs, when the rotations shorten - the Celtics are at their best.

They need to clean up a few things and with the absence of VO, the Pacers are pretty weak 5 seed. But all you do is take care of the team in front of you, and the Celtics are doing this better than any team in the NBA at the moment.

I think Pacers win game 4, but Celtics wrap it up at home in Game 5 and get a bit of rest before the next series. The rest of the NBA is paying attention - this is NOT a team anyone wants to play in the playoffs.

Patience.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 am

The Indianapolis Star's perspective:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2019/04/19/celtics-hold-take-3-0-series-lead-vs-pacers/3446984002/

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/04/20/2019-nba-playoffs-series-there-indiana-pacers-no-one-blame-but-selves-boston-celtics-games-score/3446997002/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 am

could someone explain to me how we will be able to sign a Free agent next year for more than the Mid level exception?

I see this written from time to time and frankly it's a fantasy, at least from my understanding of the salary cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2019/

there's the numbers for next year.

$14M OVER the cap without any rookies or Ivings new deal added in.

get rid of all the cap holds ( Rozier, Morris Theis, etc) and now your around $13M UNDER the cap. but you have 10 players under contract now.

so please someone explain to me how Danny can sign an elite Free agent here now..believe me I tried to come up with a way to so it and failed miserably at it.

I'd like to know how it can be done with the contracts we have in the books right now.

keeping the team together might be the right move for sure next year. But if you are expecting a high level free agent to be added I think you're dead wrong. At best the team we have now will be the team here next year, as worst we lose Morris and Rozier and replace them with rookies.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:26 am

KDP

You raise a point on the salary cap, however some of the max guys have to understand that in order to build a stacked team of stars you have to take less money. LeBron did this so why do we have to shoulder the burden of giving out max deals.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:02 am

112288 wrote:KDP

You raise a point on the salary cap, however some of the max guys have to understand that in order to build a stacked team of stars you have to take less money.   LeBron did this so why do we have to shoulder the burden of giving out max deals.

True. I believe this will be part of the Irving debate this off-season. I'm not sure he's going to be willing to bend.

First things first, however. What happens in the post-season may determine mind-sets going forward.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:31 am

This was a back breaker.  The body language of the Pacers walking down the tunnel towards their locker room was those of broken men.  Heads down, shoulders slumped, didn't offer to high 5 any of their fans lining the runway.  This was a must win game for them and they didn't win.  They can mouth whatever cliches they want about how "it's just one game" or "if we go out and play our game the next 4 games we can still win this" but they know, they know.

I thought it was a big deal when Jaylen hit his first shot from the corner.  He's not a natural scorer so hitting a shot gives him confidence.  Natural scorers have no short-term memory, every shot is going in for them, but players who aren't that like to see the ball go through the net to feel good about shooting more.  I did not, however, expect him to be the game high scorer for both teams.  8-9 and 4-5 from 3.  I just do not understand his frito shooting.  There is no reason for that besides mental.  He was, and has for the last 3 years, taken and hit MUCH harder and further shots than a free throw and 3-7 is Ben Wallace level bad.  Other than his odd inability to score the easiest shots in basketball a phenomenal game by Jaylen.  14 points in the 1st quarter but only 9 points in the next 3 quarters after that.  They had no answer for him and, when he's shooting and defending like this he presents a nightmare match up for Bogie, who went 6-17.  Nate McMillan, wisely, created mismatches in which Thaddeus Young was being defended by Jaylen.  Young is too strong for Jaylen to defend, but on offense?  Bogie and Young are both too slow.  Tyreke Evans is a good match up but he isn't a good enough defender for when Jaylen is shooting like this.  Evans' only hope is that Jaylen is off.

Sabonis 3-10.  I don't even understand how that happened.  Lots of misses at the rim, I guess.  He is SO strong.

We outrebounded them.  Horford with 8, Tatum and Brown and Morris with 7 each.  That's 29 rebounds among 4 players.  Nice balanced, and broadly based, boarding by us.

We out-assisted them.  Kyrie with 10.  The only Celtic without an assist was Theis, who only played 3 minutes.  The Pacers' back court of Matthews and Collison had 3 assists, combined.  Pacer high assist man was Sabonis, with 6.  I'd love to get Sabonis.  I don't know who we'd have to give up, but he's a bench player so he can't be TOO expensive, right?

This was a strong-minded win by us.  We jumped out to a 15 point lead even though they came out with great energy, on the white-hot shooting of Jaylen Brown.  Then they paid us back in the 2nd quarter and we were only up 2 at the half.  It would have been very easy for them to come out smoking in the 2nd half and take this game but we were the ones who won the next two quarters.  As you go up in class, from NCAA to NBA and from NBA doormat up to contender, the most important muscle is the 4" one between your ears and last night that muscle was working really well for us.  We still had 14 TOs but they weren't complete brain-dead ones like we saw in games 1 and 2.

It's been 13 days now since Smart was injured.  The word we heard was "4-6 weeks", so we're 1/3-1/2 of the way there.  If we sweep Indy, and Milwaukee sweeps Detroit as expected, the first game against them will probably be Wednesday 4/24 or Thursday 4/25.  That means he'll miss most, if not all, of that series.  Brogdon could be back in time for the next series, he shed his walking boot April 3rd.  Here's a question for everybody:  "Is it still in our best interest to sweep Indy?"  If the series goes to 6 instead of 4, or even 5, that's another 1/2 week to a week for Smart to come back and we will definitely need him against the Bucks.  If our series against them starts later that gives him more time.  If our series against them starts later, however, then we're using more energy against Indy, but the Bucks will be waiting and an extended wait sometimes makes you stale and not just "rested". Which would you rather have? An early start against the Bucks and no Smart but yes to Brogdon, or a later start against the Bucks and Smart for half the series?

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401126863

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am

NYCelt wrote:

You raise a point on the salary cap, however some of the max guys have to understand that in order to build a stacked team of stars you have to take less money.   LeBron did this so why do we have to shoulder the burden of giving out max deals.

True. I believe this will be part of the Irving debate this off-season. I'm not sure he's going to be willing to bend.

First things first, however. What happens in the post-season may determine mind-sets going forward.

When Lebron was in Miami it was Wade who took less money. We are not talking about a lot less though.

I do not believe that max players should take less money under all circumstances. But here is one. Let's suppose player A is on your team and is due to sign a new contract and Player B is a FA that wants to join player A. I can see where Player A should be willing to sign for less so that the team has enough CAP space to sign player B.

The Celtics are not likely to sign any additional high end free agents unless Irving goes elsewhere or if Al opts out and goes elsewhere.

I see no reason why Irving should sign for less money.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am

dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

When Lebron was in Miami it was Wade who took less money.  We are not talking about a lot less though.

I do not believe that max players should take less money under all circumstances.   But here is one.  Let's suppose player A is on your team and is due to sign a new contract and Player B is a FA that wants to join player A.  I can see where Player A should be willing to sign for less so that the team has enough CAP space to sign player B.

The Celtics are not likely to sign any additional high end free agents unless Irving goes elsewhere or if Al opts out and goes elsewhere.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but another possibility is that Horford agrees to an extension that spreads his remaining year over 2 or 3 years.   So, he'll be under contract until he's, say 36 or 37 (he's 32 now) but it's really his current contract spread out over another year or two and a 3 or 4 year contract added on.  By spreading his contract out that has the $30M final year of his contract be $10M/year for 3 years.  In exchange he gets a 3-4 year contract added on to the end of that, which a 33 year old player (that's how old he'll be next year when he becomes a UFA) is unlikely to be offered. Less money per year, more money overall as he fades into the twilight of his career.

The downside for us is that he may not be playing well in 2 years, or 3 years, but we have to pay him for 5 or 6.  That might be the price/chance Danny and Wyc are willing to pay/take in order to free up the salary space to sign another big-time player.

Is there someone on the board who understands capology and can sanity-check this idea?  Gyso?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Btw, the 5 on the floor for the Celtics to close out the game and the win was the starting 5 at the beginning of the season vs Philly on October 16th: Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:Btw, the 5 on the floor for the Celtics to close out the game and the win was the starting 5 at the beginning of the season vs Philly on October 16th:  Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.

bob

Anything to keep Morris and Rozier off the floor at crunch time is good by me....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

When Lebron was in Miami it was Wade who took less money.  We are not talking about a lot less though.

I do not believe that max players should take less money under all circumstances.   But here is one.  Let's suppose player A is on your team and is due to sign a new contract and Player B is a FA that wants to join player A.  I can see where Player A should be willing to sign for less so that the team has enough CAP space to sign player B.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but another possibility is that Horford agrees to an extension that spreads his remaining year over 2 or 3 years.   So, he'll be under contract until he's, say 36 or 37 (he's 32 now) but it's really his current contract spread out over another year or two and a 3 or 4 year contract added on.  By spreading his contract out that has the $30M final year of his contract be $10M/year for 3 years.  In exchange he gets a 3-4 year contract added on to the end of that, which a 33 year old player (that's how old he'll be next year when he becomes a UFA) is unlikely to be offered.  Less money per year, more money overall as he fades into the twilight of his career.

The downside for us is that he may not be playing well in 2 years, or 3 years, but we have to pay him for 5 or 6.  That might be the price/chance Danny and Wyc are willing to pay/take in order to free up the salary space to sign another big-time player.

Is there someone on the board who understands capology and can sanity-check this idea?  Gyso?

bob

Bob with Al due respect Al Horford has been on the decline for 5 years.

The singular fear that I have as it relates to Boston winning the title is AL not having the stamina to play well deep into the playoffs. The Celtics are at a point where they have had to manage his minutes but now those options are limited. His playoff history over the past several years shows a downward level of productivity the longer the playoffs go.

He has a $30 million player option. I think he will opt in for his final year and become a FA where Boston could resign him or he could sign elsewhere. Why spread $30 million out over 3 years in hopes of getting 3 additional years? If he is smart he will make the $30 million next year

In any event if the downward playoff trend for AH continues this year it will impact his future beyond next year with the team. I can see Boston resigning him but for a lot less money. Let's see how he does the rest of the playoffs.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:52 pm

dboss wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but another possibility is that Horford agrees to an extension that spreads his remaining year over 2 or 3 years.   So, he'll be under contract until he's, say 36 or 37 (he's 32 now) but it's really his current contract spread out over another year or two and a 3 or 4 year contract added on.  By spreading his contract out that has the $30M final year of his contract be $10M/year for 3 years.  In exchange he gets a 3-4 year contract added on to the end of that, which a 33 year old player (that's how old he'll be next year when he becomes a UFA) is unlikely to be offered.  Less money per year, more money overall as he fades into the twilight of his career.

bob

Bob with Al due respect Al Horford has been on the decline for 5 years.  

The singular fear that I have as it relates to Boston winning the title is AL not having the stamina to play well deep into the playoffs.  The Celtics are at a point where they have had to manage his minutes but now those options are limited.  His playoff history over the past several years shows a downward level of productivity the longer the playoffs go.

He has a $30 million player option.  I think he will opt in for his final year and become a FA where Boston could resign him or he could sign elsewhere.  Why spread $30 million out over 3 years in hopes of getting 3 additional years?  If he is smart he will make the $30 million next year

In any event if the downward playoff trend for AH continues this year it will impact his future beyond next year with the team.  I can see Boston resigning him but for a lot less money.   Let's see how he does the rest of the playoffs.  

dboss,

"With Al due respect"? Good one.

My point in suggesting this was to free up $ for a solid, high quality addition to next year's team which we cannot afford to do if Horford picks up his player option, which I believe he will do, by freeing up cap space next year. As far as how much money Danny resigns Horford for, I said nothing about that. If Danny says "spread your $30M out over 3 years and we'll give you 3 years after that @ $10M/year" that might incent Horford.

Bottom line is the power to stay or go is in Horford's hands, not Danny's, and if/when Horford picks up his option Danny won't have the cap space to add a high quality player.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Assuming and hoping no AD trade, the primary guys get to play more minutes which should be make for better chemistry if both MM and TR are gone. I think a high quality player can be drafted. Move up and get a stud. A draft pick will cost less than trying to sign a FA that is of high quality.

And you can add a decent rotation player using the MLE.

Williams needs to be developed. He could be that long athletic big that we need.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:11 pm

BobH,

I thought the NBA was pretty hard and fast on each round in that if you finish up early as in 4 games, you get the 2nd week off regardless of what your next round opponent is doing.  I'm not recalling them starting a next round series early until everyone else's series are done.  The possible 7-game series conveniently lasts 2 weeks with near every other night play.  Hence the playoffs go for 2+ months.  They do drag the finals out as I recall.  I could be wrong.  I just don't remember Rounds crossing over, i.e. 2nd round game going on while first round series are still going on.  

Now they may start us and MIL early, but if they do they will drag it out so that if it goes 7, it will end on the next two week protocol.  Help me out here though as I may be way off in left field and CRS!  I'll try to pay more attention this season!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Just found this statement on Sports Watch Media...

Second round of the playoffs begins April 29, with a possible move-up to April 27-28. TNT game windows will be added when available.

So I guess it depends somewhat on if everyone finishes up early to move the starts of the 2nd Round to Saturday/Sunday from Monday the 29th. We'll see. Still no firm schedule set yet for 2nd Round start on ESPN site.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down