RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
dbrown4
NYCelt
dboss
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final Empty ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Uses Balanced Attack To Complete Sweep Of Pacers

NESN by Chris Grenham on Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 3:38PM

The Boston Celtics broke out their brooms Sunday afternoon at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, completing the first round sweep of the Indiana Pacers with a 110-106 win. This is Boston’s first best-of-seven series sweep since defeating the New York Knicks in 2011.

In a back-and-forth affair, Boston relied on a balanced attack to finish off the Eastern Conference’s No. 5 seed. Gordon Hayward finished with 20 points to lead the Celtics in scoring, but he did not do it alone.

Seven Celtics finished in double figures in an impressive offensive effort. Marcus Morris (18 points), Jayson Tatum (18 points), Al Horford (14 points), Jaylen Brown (13 points), Kyrie Irving (14 points) and Terry Rozier (11 points) were all part of the scoring party.

Indiana was led by Bojan Bogdanovic with 22 points.

The Celtics now await their second round opponent, which will likely be the No. 1 seed Milwaukee Bucks. They hold a 3-0 series advantage over the Detroit Pistons heading into Game 4 Monday.

Here’s how it all went down.

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Al Horford
C: Aron Baynes

OPENING FRAME
The Celtics came out of the gates with a quick 8-0 run in the game’s first 95 seconds, putting the pressure on Indiana right away. The Pacers responded immediately, going on a 13-0 run of their own over a three minute span.

Both sides cooled off after their respective hot starts, with Boston shooting 36.4 percent from the floor compared to Indiana’s 33.3 percent clip. The Pacers would ultimately lead 23-21 after one.

Tatum led all scorer’s with seven points on 3-of-4 shooting.

GAME OF RUNS
The Pacers were hurt by a scoring drought to begin the second quarter, which has become a consistent issue for them throughout this series. Since they took a 13-8 lead midway through the first quarter, Indiana went 5-for-19 from the floor, allowing the Celtics to take control of the game early in the second frame with a 13-2 run.

Indiana, as they have all series, responded with a run of their own. They closed the quarter with a 10-2 stretch, taking a 49-47 lead into halftime.

Darren Collison led all scorers with 11 first-half points.

SLOPPY THIRD
Neither team played particularly inspired basketball to open the second half, but the Pacers managed to extend their lead in the first four minutes thanks to multiple Celtics’ turnovers.

Halfway through the third quarter, Irving and Al Horford were a combined 4-for-21 from the floor. Despite this daunting line, Boston only trailed by four, which was a huge win in the midst of an out-of-flux stretch.

The Celtics closed the quarter on a 17-9 run over the final 6:05 to take a 73-72 heading into the fourth.

Bojan Bogdanovic had a game-high 16 points after three, while the Celtics had five players in double figures, but none with more than 12 points.

SWEEPING
For the third game in a row, the fourth quarter began with some tight, back-and-forth action. Indiana was fighting for their season, and playing like it too.

Boston’s balanced effort was ultimately too much. With seven minutes remaining in the game, the Celtics had seven players between 10 and 13 points. They received contributions from everyone, which carried them down the stretch.

The Celtics ripped off a 15-3 run to take a 10-point lead late in this one, which ultimately sealed the deal.

PLAY OF THE GAME
The caption says it all.

UP NEXT
The Celtics now await the completion of the first round, but they’ll likely face the No. 1 seed Bucks in round two.

Back to top Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:51 pm

THIS SAVES LEGS!

Back to top Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME #4 INDY - AWAY - Boston 110 Indiana 106 Final

Post by dboss Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Happy Easter to all!

Well they did it. They sweep the Pacers.

This was a team effort with 7 players in double figures.

I had a strong feeling that Gordon Hayward would be the guy and he stepped up bigtime. The Celtics played championship level defense throughout this 4 game series.

The earliest they have to play again is on the 27th so they get a nice break to heal up. This was a bruising sort of series.

We had 4 different players lead the Celtics in these 4 victories. It is the clearest example of the talent on this team.

The Celtics will need to play better against the Bucks. They are still turning the ball over way too much. They recorded 16 turnovers today. If they can eliminate so many unforced turnovers they can compete with the Bucks.

Overall I think everyone should be pleased with this effort. Boston won 2 games back to back on the road

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:24 pm

Nice to finish it quick and catch little break.

Makes that one guy we all know who preaches patience seem kinda smart, huh?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 pm

OK, dboss, what does the league or TNT/ESPN/ABC use to determine when the next series starts and whether it depends on the other series going on and when they finish up? I've heard some believe we could start as early as Wednesday/Thursday since it appears we are both going to finish up early and drag it out to about a 2 1/2 week series instead of two weeks. Just didn't know what the protocol was. Thanks in advance!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:49 pm

I like that we swept and we can still clean up a lot of things and play better and the Pacers were the perfect opponent to allow us to spar and improve as a team. We can win without Kyrie having to be perfect or carry us, said to my son, love it when Kyrie is on the bench and we can build the lead. We have 3 legit all star wings, I was pining for Jaylen to get back in, but Morris, Tatum and GH we’re playing so well, we didn’t even need the uber dunker/defender. Love what JT did in game 2, what  Jaylen did in game 3 and what Gordon did today and yes Morris even what MM did today. But seriously that is 3 gifted wings that can all attack, finish and hit 3’s at an all star level. Thrilling watching Gordon dunk like that, thrilling watching 2 J’s getting their dunks in during this series. All 3 have turned it on at the right time and looked great carrying us to this sweep. Oh yeah Al and Kyrie were pretty good, had their moments where they looked like the good/great enough versions of themselves and even Rozier has looked good last 2 games. Our team can defend, we can score in multiple ways with multiple players stepping up, we can grind. Love when we run off our defense, looking forward to see this team turn it up another notch, we are looking good!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 pm

This is ridiculous, if Milwaukee wins tomorrow, start the damn next series by Thursday. I have heard it could go until Sunday, that is silly.

The only advantage to dragging it out is Marcus Smart gets more time to rehab, getting him near returning by the mid to end of this series.
Wishful thinking, yes, but a girl can hope can’t she?

I was in and out of this game today with cooking duties and entertainment. I was the live entertainment for my family because when Gordon Hayward came on strong and helped this team I yelled, “this is the Gordon I know” It was fun to watch each and every player
Contribute, even with Kyrie and Al struggling. Awesome Easter Bunny gift!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Bobby H   Kleen 

Gave your boy Morris some credit, would love to see him play like this more often....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 pm

dbrown4 wrote:OK, dboss, what does the league or TNT/ESPN/ABC use to determine when the next series starts and whether it depends on the other series going on and when they finish up?  I've heard some believe we could start as early as Wednesday/Thursday since it appears we are both going to finish up early and drag it out to about a 2 1/2 week series instead of two weeks.  Just didn't know what the protocol was.  Thanks in advance!  

db

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-playoff-schedule-dates-times-channel/
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm with you all, but I think cowens is a little hard on certain guys. Olynyk is long gone and having a decent career in Miami. Morris was never supposed to be Kevin Garnett or Cedric Maxwell. He's a marginally talented player with the heart of a champion , imo. Why does even a game like this, where he takes ( and makes) big shots have to be so grudgingly recocgnized, cow?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I'm with you all, but I think  cowens is a little hard on certain guys. Olynyk is long gone and having a decent career in Miami. Morris was never supposed to be Kevin Garnett or Cedric Maxwell. He's a marginally talented player with the heart of a champion , imo. Why  does even a  game like this, where he takes ( and  makes) big shots have to be so grudgingly recocgnized, cow?
The KO banter started the last time we played the Heat and someone made a big deal that he’s starting and I made it a point, saying that he’s still the same soft player, it was all good banter that has been going on for years....I know I’ve ripped Morris before, but so has the whole board at times, so he’s earned it with his play, it’s all about his play as with all the players on this board, nothing new there, just trying to give him some credit for today.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:02 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832428-boston-celtics-looking-like-the-east-contenders-they-were-supposed-to-be?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:40 am

5 days off is good IMO.

I know there could be some rust for one game, but keeping everyone fresh is more important to me/

we'll be on the road for the first game next series anyway.

and yes another week off, is another week closer to maybe seeing Smart back in uniform.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am

It is clear the brick wall is coming here in the next round. Either Boston or Milwaukee is going to run into it. I like MIL's chances better.

These are two totally different teams than the ones that met in the first round last year. And BOS will either have their number again or MIL with be the new Beast In The East.

We will have our answer inside of two weeks. We will know EVERYTHING we will need to know with this series. Hands down.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 am

A week off is good for Al.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 am

Our first sweep since 2011.  Feels good.  A week off can give you time to rest and heal, time to review film and get ready and it can also make you stale.  We will see which one the Celtics and the Bucks will be 5 days from now.  It also gives Marcus Smart almost another week.  Just to keep track, Smart hurt himself on Sunday, April 7th, so it has been 15 days so far.  Only 2 weeks into a 4-6 week recovery.

Celtic bench with 49 points on 18-26 (69%).  Brad only went 9 deep this game and Theis only played 6 minutes, so that means that 8 players played heavy minutes.  Morris played 30, Hayward 34 and Rozier 19.  

Rozier shot 4-6 for 11 points, but he played well.  Not much in the boxscore to show for it, but there was a lot of time where he and Irving were on the floor together, mostly when McMillan went small and had Collison and Matthews on the floor.  Collison was 5-13 and Matthews was 1-7.  That's great defense, they were taking some contested shots a lot of the time.  

Morris was solid.  7-11 and 8 rebounds, 3 of them offensive.  I don't expect him to shoot 7-11 all the time, the same way I don't expect Jaylen to shoot 8-9 all the time, but like all shooters when they feel it they are very dangerous.  If this carries over to Milwaukee we are in good shape.

Hayward just killed Indy.  Celtic high scorer with 20.  Evans had 21 off their bench but some of his points were 3 pointers we let him take because it was too late to matter.  I think we are finally back to OG.  This is how he was in Utah.  He defended well, underrated really, but did pretty much whatever he wanted on offense.  I love that, given the opportunity, he goes north-south.  If he gets an angle to the hoop he takes it and doesn't stop until he gets within 4'-6'.  That wreaks all kinds of havoc on defenses.  Another thing I am loving about Gordon now is his frito shooting.  He's at 87.5% in the playoffs.  He is finishing VERY well through contact and putting him on line is money in the bank for the Celtics.  Kyrie is a scorer, as is Tatum.  Smart and Brown are primarily defenders.  Al is a well-rounded player as we know but Gordon Hayward is as well-rounded as Al except that Hayward can and will drop 30 on you.  It is rare for Al Horford to dedicate himself to scoring that much.  Double Hayward and he's a superior passer.  Leave him and he's a shooter.  Defend him one-on-one and he'll take a turn around a pick and make a beeline for the rim.  Gordon Hayward is now, officially, a royal pain in opposing coaches asses.  Perfect timing.  Good things come to those who wait, right Rosalie?

Kyrie and Horford shot a combined 8-32.  Horford had 12 boards, 6 offensive, and 5 assists.  Irving with 7 assists and some Tommy Points on defense but scoring-wise they hurt us.  It's good that we could win a playoff game without needing them doing it for us.

We only took 78 fgas.  We better get a shitload more up in the next series or the high-powered Bucks offense will run over us like green roadkill.

They took 10 more fgas than us but we took 10 more ftas than them.  Can't complain about not getting fair whistles this time, although I'm sure we'll see a few posts about that on the Comments From The Other Side thread.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401126865

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

A very solid series with many guys making nice contributions. Will have to play better against Milwaukee, but they are beatable-although not likely sweepable.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I will disagree with you about the Celtics hitting the "brick wall". Just remember, that last ga we were short handed for that game. I know we lost the home court advantage with that loss, but do not be so sure Milwaukee will beat the Celtics in a 7 game series. Sure they won the division title but we are stronger now. If there is any possibility of getting Smart back a little early, do not count this team out. We have a bench that is getting better and better. Hayward, as I have preached before, may just be the ace in the hole.

I felt after that last game that Milwaukee was beatable, and I still feel that way now.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Rosalie,

I meant I like MIL's chances of hitting the brick wall better than ours.  One of these two teams is going to lose 4 games in the next two weeks after sweeping their respective first round games.  

I believe MIL is in for a rude awakening.  The looks on their faces will be PRICELESS!  Besides, Charles Barkley just gave us the clear path to the Finals!  He has...now wait for it...GUARANTEED the ECF will be MIL vs. TOR.  Every time he guarantees anything, bet the house on the opposite and you'll never have to work another day in your life.  Get your Finals tickets now!

As for Hayward, no one has a game plan for him getting hot and it's too late for opposing teams to work one up at this level. Nice!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I misread your post. You are right about Milwaukee, remember they may have lost Brogden for the playoffs and some where in the Boston papers/announcers they have said that Smart is doing very well in his rehab and may be back in two weeks. I have to find this wherever to believe it or watch an interview with him before I believe it. Our on board Doctor Worcester didn't hold out much hope for him to get back for this series.
That is why a layoff like they are having is so good, Kyrie took a good whack yesterday, I bet he is feeling it today, and it gives Smart more time to recouperate.

As usual, Barkley and his big mouth start flapping against the Celtics immediately. No wonder he never won a title, he doesn't have the heart of a champion.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:58 pm

dbrown4 wrote:It is clear the brick wall is coming here in the next round.  Either Boston or Milwaukee is going to run into it.  I like MIL's chances better.  

These are two totally different teams than the ones that met in the first round last year.  And BOS will either have their number again or MIL with be the new Beast In The East.  

We will have our answer inside of two weeks.  We will know EVERYTHING we will need to know with this series.  Hands down.  

db  

Let me do a Kleen on you.

I thought you said the Bucks would fold like a cheap Suit
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I misread your post.  You are right about Milwaukee, remember they may have lost Brogden for the playoffs and some where in the Boston papers/announcers they have said that Smart is doing very well in his rehab and may be back in two weeks. I have to find this wherever to believe it or watch an interview with him before I believe it.  Our on board Doctor Worcester didn't hold out much hope for him to get back for this series.
That is why a layoff like they are having is so good, Kyrie took a good whack yesterday, I bet he is feeling it today, and it gives Smart more time to recouperate.

As usual, Barkley and his big mouth start flapping against the Celtics immediately. No wonder he never won a title, he doesn't have the heart of a champion.

Rosalie last year Boston went to the playoffs with a very young and untested team. Irving and Hayward were wearing street close.

I just know how happy you are about the return of GH. You have been pretty adamant in your support for him even when things went South and it would have been easy to take the half empty glass. But you never gave up and I am with you 110%.

I am not sure that Celtics fans fully appreciate the impact of GH.

He alters the dynamics of this team in a positive way.

I was so please to see him lead this team in a bigtime closeout game. I referred to him as the X factor and my math test came up great. He is the X factor. His story is a story about fortitude, perseverance, failure and success. Gordon Hayward is everything that we as Celtics fans point to in what it means to be Boston Celtic.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Barkley may not have the heart of a champion, but he has the mouth of a chompion.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Patience. Cool
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:13 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Patience. Cool
Really, now it’s time to kick some ass with our A game, no more time for patience

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next