+5
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
sinus007
gyso
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role Empty Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role

Post by bobheckler Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kendrick-perkins-would-absolutely-consider-celtics-assistant-coach-role?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role

By Darren Hartwell May 16, 2019 3:30 PM

Kendrick Perkins' window to return to the Boston Celtics as a player has essentially closed. But what if he joins the team that drafted him as a coach?

The Celtics have an open assistant coach position vacated by Micah Shrewsberry, who left for Purdue earlier this month. In an interview Thursday on "The Danny Picard Show", Perkins was asked if he'd be interested in filling that vacancy.

"Absolutely. There’s certain things you can’t turn down, and that’s one of them," Perkins told host Danny Picard.

The former NBA center, who spent his first eight NBA seasons with the Celtics, said in 2017 he'd "love to coach" after he finished playing and considered joining the Cleveland Cavaliers' coaching staff that year before signing on as a player.

Perkins confirmed last October he spoke to Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge about ending his playing career in Boston. A deal never materialized, though, and there are no signs the Celtics -- who reportedly interviewed J.B. Bickerstaff for the assistant coach opening Wednesday -- have spoken to Perkins about a coaching gig.

But Perkins is putting in the work coaching up draft prospects at the NBA Scouting Combine, and if an opportunity arises to coach in Boston, it sounds like he'd jump on it.

"I mean, you'd have no choice but to accept a job like that, man," he added.

bob
MY NOTE: Cowens would be in hog heaven...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role Empty Re: Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role

Post by gyso Fri May 17, 2019 11:39 am

Bob,

From what I've read, Micah Shrewsberry was mostly their defense coach. J.B. Bickerstaff would be taking over those duties. I don't think Perk is a good fit for that.

Do the Celtics even have a big man coach? If not, Perk could fill that need.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role Empty Re: Kendrick Perkins would 'absolutely' consider Celtics assistant coach role

Post by sinus007 Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 am

Hi,
"big man coach" - the first name that comes is KG.
I don't what his take on this would be...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
"big man coach" - the first name that comes is KG.
I don't what his take on this would be...

AK

KG is too mean to be a coach. He would have these young guys calling for their mommy after one day.

That being said, the Celtics should hire KG to help out in the pre-draft workouts. He would help eliminate the mentally weak ones. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

KG does one on one coaching with his protege’s. He picks and chooses his spots. I believe he did some work for Doc, I forget which guy he was coaching. I know he loves Thon Maker and has said for a couple of years that he will grow into an excellent player.
But be a coach on a team? Too restrictive for KG, Gyso you are right, these guys today would go home crying to Mommy. Imagine what he would do to Tatum?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri May 17, 2019 7:45 pm

He could easily double as security

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 pm

From what I have read about his divorce from his wife, he might need the money. They were having quite the battle!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat May 18, 2019 7:09 am

if Perkins wants to coach somewhere, he might want to be a bit less opinionated about current NBA players.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 am

I personally think that more players would fear Perk than fear KG.
I like the idea and think we could have used him last year to straighten (literally) out some of the Prima Donnas and A-holes on this team.
It’s just my opinion (insert wise guy face here) that His opinion on other players if applied wisely is welcomed.
I say....
Bring em in!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 am

KDP is completely right in his thoughts on Perkins.

In my opinion, Perkins lost his chance to coach in the NBA and especially in Boston with his press related statements about Irving, and we really do not know how well Perk would stand up as a teacher of the game.

If personal offensive skills are considered as part of becoming a NBA coach of big men, Perk would be limited at best.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 am

Can coachng alter temperament traits to any great extent ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 18, 2019 9:21 am

swish wrote:Can coachng alter temperament traits to any great extent ?

swish

I seriously doubt it. To think otherwise shows a lack of understanding of the true pecking order of professional sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

gyso wrote:
swish wrote:Can coachng alter temperament traits to any great extent ?

swish

I seriously doubt it.  To think otherwise shows a lack of understanding of the true pecking order of professional sports.  

I doubt it also. Here's a test - Perkins to Miami to see if he can convert Olynyk into a defensive player with skills someone similar to Dave Cowens .

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am

Perk could teach toughness, which this team desperately needs.  Perk could teach the value of accepting your limitations and being a role player.  The problem is that in today's NBA bigs are expected to be mobile on defense and be able to shoot from 3 and Perk was neither.  The traditional player roles, which Perk filled, no longer exist.

As far as Swish's question about "Can coaching alter temperament traits to any great extent?" goes I think the temperament change would have to begin with Brad, not Perk.  Brad's coaching style is all about being positive and supportive and not about harshness.  For Perk to get an assistant coaching job here, Kyrie or no Kyrie, would require the head coach to alter his temperament and realize he needs to tap into the dark side and hire a bad cop.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 am

bobheckler wrote:Perk could teach toughness, which this team desperately needs.  Perk could teach the value of accepting your limitations and being a role player.  The problem is that in today's NBA bigs are expected to be mobile on defense and be able to shoot from 3 and Perk was neither.  The traditional player roles, which Perk filled, no longer exist.

As far as Swish's question about "Can coaching alter temperament traits to any great extent?" goes I think the temperament change would have to begin with Brad, not Perk.  Brad's coaching style is all about being positive and supportive and not about harshness.  For Perk to get an assistant coaching job here, Kyrie or no Kyrie, would require the head coach to alter his temperament and realize he needs to tap into the dark side and hire a bad cop.

bob

Agreed, Paul Silas was a good coach, the coach doesn’t have to shoot. This team played like a bunch of pussies for too many stretches in the 4 game losing streak to end the series, if a guy like Perk could motivate/integrate any hustle and combativeness that would be a good thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down