jrleftfoot
bobc33
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
wideclyde
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options Empty Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options

Post by bobheckler Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/05/24/four-possible-terry-rozier-sign-and-trade-options/

Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options

by Don Porcaro Jr

5 hours ago

With Terry Rozier being a desired restricted free agent point guard for the 2019 off-season, the smartest thing for Boston to do would be to sign and trade him to another team. While Rozier may not have the value of a starting point guard, he certainly holds more value on any other team in the NBA than he does the Boston Celtics. Here are some options for the Celtics for a sign-and trade.

New York Knicks:

This sign-and-trade will work particularly well if the Knicks end up landing Anthony Davis and if Kyrie Irving signs with a team that is not the Celtics or the Knicks. If Irving does go to a team such as Brooklyn or a wild card team and the Knicks still trade for Davis, this sign-and-trade will be a no brainer.

Getting Davis would be a big piece to this, and if they are able to somehow land Durant, the trade makes even more sense. With two big superstars in New York, a relatively cheap starting point guard would be necessary. Think a better version of Mario Chalmers from the 2012 Miami Heat. Terry Rozier would fit in perfectly in the system.

As for Boston, they would get Dennis Smith Jr. in return if he hasn’t already been traded. If Irving walks and Davis goes to New York, the next logical step for Boston would be to stick with their youth and hope to compete for a championship once Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are fully developed. With two more years left on Smith Jr’s contract, Boston will be able to work him in with the young crew and hopefully have him be the starting point guard on a future championship team.

With this trade, you’re taking a current step back, but the future may look brighter than ever. It’s not likely that all of the dominoes fall this way, but if they do this is a very realistic move for Boston.

Chicago Bulls:

With the Bulls already rumored to show interest in Rozier, this is something Boston should jump on. A middle-of-the-pack point guard won’t get Boston any top-10 picks, but it should get them a decent asset or two.

In Chicago’s case, the asset involved is Kris Dunn. Drafted by Minnesota and traded to Chicago, Dunn will be on his third team before his first NBA contract expires. He has been hampered by injuries throughout his career and has never really had a chance to show his true potential.

Dunn is known for being a lock-down defender and a great passer. While his shooting has room for  improvement, Dunn could fit in nicely with the Celtics backcourt which is already known for applying heavy defensive pressure.

This trade could work regardless of whether or not Irving is back with the Celtics. He will still more-than-likely play a backup role anyways, and if Irving does end up coming back, Dunn will be one of the better back-up point guards in the league.

Miami Heat:

Goran Dragic currently has a player option in the upcoming off-season that could already have him out the door in Miami. When Dragic signed a 5 year- $90 million deal four years ago, he was supposed to be the face of the franchise with Hassan Whiteside. While both have underperformed to their contracts, Dragic has still been a solid contributor averaging at least 13.7 points and 4.8 assists since coming to Miami.

We have seen Boston have success with left-handed experimental point guards before (aka Isaiah Thomas) and if anything, Dragic is much more proven than Thomas was. If Irving leaves and Boston is in a pinch for a point guard, Dragic would be a nice veteran option if he is able to stay healthy.

If the Celtics do end up trading for Dragic, they would either have him for one year at around 20 million, or similarly have him opt out and sign and trade for him for a lesser contract with a  possibility of more years involved

As for the Heat, they have the space for Rozier and judging by his comments at the end of the season, Miami would be a place he would love to play in. He wouldn’t be a star, but the ability to bring in a free-agent like Rozier could ultimately help in attracting other free-agents to bring Miami back to basketball prominence.

Memphis Grizzlies:
With the Grizzlies getting the number two overall pick in the draft lottery and projected to draft point guard Ja Morant, it seems less likely this could actually work out, but it’s the NBA and anything is possible. If for some reason Memphis goes for RJ Barrett instead, the trade becomes more realistic.

Now, there is a reason why Memphis could go Barrett ahead of Morant. For starters, Barrett at this time last year was the projected number one pick. It wasn’t until the college season that Morant and Williamson jumped ahead of him.

To go along with that, it may be easier to dump Conley if Barrett is chosen. If Irving walks away from Boston, a possible Conley for Rozier swap is something that could be considered. For Memphis, having a starting guard like Rozier as well as Barrett could be much more valuable than having Morant and a random forward in free agency.

For the Celtics, Conley will be a one year filler. If they can not land Davis or re-sign Irving, Conley could slot in as the point guard with only one year left on his contract. The team will basically be a re-creation of the 2017-18 team with Conley replacing Rozier and whatever is left of Gordon Hayward, now two years removed from his gruesome injury.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options Empty Re: Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options

Post by wideclyde Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 am

Smith looks to be the best return for the Cs out of these four scenarios as he does fit right in with the time table for Brown, Tatum and even Al Horford but in a different way.

Dunn would be OK, but his injury history is a concern. Dragic could be OK in Boston, but is likely a short timer. For a short timer I would much rather bring back Thomas if he is finally healthy. There is no way that I would do even the slightest little thing that could possibly help Memphis in any manner for the next two seasons so even thinking of them is out of the question.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options Empty Re: Four Possible Terry Rozier Sign-and-Trade Options

Post by gyso Sat May 25, 2019 10:09 am

You can't have an article about trades without talking salaries and/or contracts.  Rozier may get $12-15M.  

Smith is on his rookie deal?  How do you get the salaries to match?  It is the same with Dunn.  Another player or two would be need to added in the trade.

Dragic and Conley are not on their rookie contracts, so another player may need to go out with Rozier.

I rate this article incomplete.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 am

gyso wrote:You can't have an article about trades without talking salaries and/or contracts.  Rozier may get $12-15M.  

Smith is on his rookie deal?  How do you get the salaries to match?  It is the same with Dunn.  Another player or two would be need to added in the trade.

Dragic and Conley are not on their rookie contracts, so another player may need to go out with Rozier.

Was thinking same thing....amateur

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 25, 2019 12:15 pm

gyso wrote:You can't have an article about trades without talking salaries and/or contracts.  Rozier may get $12-15M.  

gyso,

The key word in your post above is "may".  Rozier may get $12-15M.  Rozier is a restricted free agent, Danny can match any offer that comes his way and every GM knows it.  That might be a deterrent to them since they'd either be bidding for nothing or even against themselves.

Hypothetical scenario:  

1.  Danny offers Rozier the qualifying offer of $4.285M, which he will do.
2.  Rozier accepts the offer.
3.  Danny then trades Rozier to Chicago for Dunn and, knowing Danny, a draft pick.  Alternatively, Danny could take a 2nd player in the trade and give them one of our picks in the 20s.  

How this works, and why I think it would work:

1.  Danny offers Rozier the qualifier to retain control.  To not do it makes no sense UNLESS we are in another Hayward/Olynyk situation, where Danny knew he couldn't keep Kelly because he needed the money for Gordon.  Suppose, and I'm just making this up people, instead of Kyrie leaving he stays instead and convinces KD to join him here instead of NY and Horford agrees to a contract renegotiation in exchange for 2-3 more years under contract (which is a rumor that has made the rounds and seems to have a little weight behind it).  Then, even with Horford's new lower salary, Danny might need to just let Rozier go without the qualifying offer and trying to do a sign-and-trade that would bring salary back.

2.  Rozier accepts the offer because he knows he's going to be traded to Chicago for the starting job he covets so badly.

3.  Chicago trades a guard they are luke-warm on for a more experienced player that many GMs consider to be an NBA starter.

4.  It works because Rozier's $4.285M qualifying offer is very close to Dunn's $4.22M.  Future draft picks have no $ value but players actually drafted do. So any trade involving picks, going either way, would have to wait until draft day and that contract is associated with a specific rookie player.

5.  There could be an agreement, implicit or explicit, between the Bulls and Rozier that his contract will be renegotiated after he's a Bull, ala Kevin Garnett's trade to Boston in the summer of 2007.  This doesn't upset the league salary cap apple cart.  It is also a "stunt" Danny has pulled off successfully once already, except this time it's Chicago that is stealing one from Danny's playbook (with his suggestion?).  The Bulls would be relieved of Dunn's salary, making Rozier less expensive to them.  If they just offer Terry $12-$15M outright then they're eating both players' salaries and Dunn's salary ramps up in his final 2 years, with $12.5M total left.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Give Terry the qualifying offer . then give him ten bucks and tell him to take the first Uber ride he can out of Boston. I am totally disgusted with him and could not care less where he goes.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat May 25, 2019 4:23 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Give Terry the qualifying offer . then give him ten bucks and tell him to take the first Uber ride he can out of Boston.  I am totally disgusted with him and could not care less where he goes.

Have him pick up the quitter Kyrie on his way out of town!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

May be crossing Chicago off that list, looks like LA Lakers want to trade Lonzo. Of course, this could be one of thos Brian Windhorst rumors too
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat May 25, 2019 5:23 pm

Rosalie,

Rozier has let his mouth run away from him some since the season ended, but he did play hard right to the end of the season and will again play just as hard if he remains a Celtic.

He should have gotten some better advice on what to say after the season, but as long as he plays and hustles 100%, I can very much live with him again next season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry, But as far as I am concerned, Terry had a lousy year, and I do not think I am alone in thinking this. He let his feelings take over his game, and just played lousy. Someone should have
taken him aside earlier because I believe he may have been one of the problems in the locker room. Everyone wants to blame Kyrie, and I agree he played a big role, but it was not just one guy. Listening to him talk makes me believe he had a chip on his shoulder all year. Instead of letting that chip make him play better, he just let it over take him. He has to go and I would not bet against Wyc not being happy that he aired the dirty laundry on television the way he did. He is a big boy, Grow UP
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Terry is like a special teams player in football. His ability to guard full court in short bursts has some value and he has good rebounding ability for a little guy. That's about it. Put him on the kickoff return team.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 pm

I think any talk of a sign and trade for Rozier is premature until Irving's status is known. It may very well be a matter of trying to sign Rozier in order to keep him here. When he did start, he was fine. It doesn't matter which one, if the Celtics win with either Rozier or Irving, their prior complaining will be forgiven and forgotten.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat May 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Bob,

Accepting the QO and getting traded is not allowed.

To summarize, a restricted free agent essentially has five options:

He can accept his prior team's qualifying offer, play for one season, and become a free agent again the following summer.

He can accept his prior team's maximum qualifying offer (if applicable, and if one has been submitted) and play under a long-term contract at the maximum salary.

He can negotiate a new contract with his prior team that is independent of the qualifying offer or maximum qualifying offer.

He can sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his prior team is given the opportunity to match.

He can negotiate a sign-and-trade (see question number 92) if he has not signed an offer sheet with another team.

If he doesn't sign a qualifying offer, a contract, or an offer sheet for one year, his prior team can submit a new qualifying offer (or maximum qualifying offer), and the player becomes a restricted free agent again the following offseason.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

I appreciate that you are thinking outside the box.  Thanks for the opportunity to contemplate a different approach to get rid of an unwanted ass . . . oh, um, . . . asset.

At least I was able to check and see if it was possible or not. Well . . . too bad it wasn't.   Very Happy  

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 pm

gyso wrote: Thanks for the opportunity to contemplate a different approach to get rid of an unwanted ass . . . oh, um, . . . asset.
 [/b]

Laughing
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 26, 2019 1:40 am

Danny offered TR smart level money already and he turned it down.

I think he gets a minimum offer of $15 mill. If Turner KO can get 15 terry may even get a bit more.

Danny cannot make a decision about TR until the Irving situation is resolved.

Boston may pull the trigger on the AD deal on draft night. If that does not happen I think the AD trade does not happen.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:May be crossing Chicago off that list, looks like LA Lakers want to trade Lonzo.  Of course, this could be one of thos Brian Windhorst rumors too

I think it is a realistic option for the Lakers to trade Lonzo to Chicago.
Chicago needs a play maker and strong defensive player to start with Lavine and Markkanen who both are not very good defensive players.
It is rumored that the Lakers or Suns gave a promise at the Combine to Darius Garland, which is why he left the Combine, not long after he arrived there.
I think there’s no way the Lakers won’t take Garland at #4 if he is still there.
He reminds me of a combination of DeAaron Fox and Buddy Hield.
I love Ja Morant’s athleticism and I think he’s going to have a great career, but I think Darius Garland will have a better nba career because of his pace, ball handling and most importantly, his shooting.
If LA drafts Garland, most likely Lonzo will have played his last game with the Lakers.

After 4 mediocre years in the NBA, I’m not sure Chicago or any teams will feel Rozier has accomplished enough to make him their future starting point guard. But, it only takes one team to make a significant offer to him as a restricted free agent.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

Accepting the QO and getting traded is not allowed.

To summarize, a restricted free agent essentially has five options:

He can accept his prior team's qualifying offer, play for one season, and become a free agent again the following summer.

He can accept his prior team's maximum qualifying offer (if applicable, and if one has been submitted) and play under a long-term contract at the maximum salary.

He can negotiate a new contract with his prior team that is independent of the qualifying offer or maximum qualifying offer.

He can sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his prior team is given the opportunity to match.

He can negotiate a sign-and-trade (see question number 92) if he has not signed an offer sheet with another team.

If he doesn't sign a qualifying offer, a contract, or an offer sheet for one year, his prior team can submit a new qualifying offer (or maximum qualifying offer), and the player becomes a restricted free agent again the following offseason.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42

I appreciate that you are thinking outside the box.  Thanks for the opportunity to contemplate a different approach to get rid of an unwanted ass . . . oh, um, . . . asset.

At least I was able to check and see if it was possible or not. Well . . . too bad it wasn't.   Very Happy  

Gyso,

A little too much vino on this Memorial Day weekend, but I don't see where it says Danny can't trade Rozier after he signs the QO or a higher $ CELTIC contract.  He can't if Rozier signs an offer sheet from another team, but as long as he signs Danny's paper where does this say DANNY'S constrained after that?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Bob,

It does not say "accept the QO" and be traded.  It says "accept the QO" and stay.  Them's the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 pm

gyso wrote:Bob,

It does not say "accept the QO" and be traded.  It says "accept the QO" and stay.  Them's the rules.

Gyso,

Accept the QO and play for a year.  That's Rozier's limitation.  If/when he signs the QO he has to play the year in Boston. Does that mean Danny couldn't trade him at the trade deadline because it's less than a full season? How does Terry's obligation to play for the Celtics limit Danny?  Gordon Hayward signed a 4 year contact.  That obligates him to play in green for 4 years.  Doesn't stop Danny from trading him tomorrow.  If there was a buyer nutty enough Danny could have traded Gordon the day after he broke his ankle, Gordon's contractual obligation to play for Boston for 4 years notwithstanding.

There are contracts that do not allow a player to be traded for at least 2 months after signing even though the contract term is much longer.  That is a constraint on the team, not the player.  Where is that type of language in a QO?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Bob,

I see no way that Rozier will sign the qualifying offer.
Boston has until 6/29/19 to give Rozier the QO.
Doing so would keep him a restricted free agent.
Then teams could make him multi-year offers which Boston could match or let him walk.
If Rozier signs the QO, he will play for $4m+ next year, then would become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2020.
I’m pretty sure Rozier wants to get paid now and will look for a 4/$40m contract and not sign the qualifying offer.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Bob,

I believe that if Rozier accepted the QO, he could be traded on December 15 or later.  He just cannot accept the QO and be traded now.

Unlooked for consequence:  If Rozier accepts the QO, his Bird rights will be lost if he gets traded.  To make it up to him, he essentially gets a no trade clause built in.

The Celtics could not trade Rozier to whatever team they want, he has to give consent for any trades first.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Report: Suns willing to trade No. 6 pick for veteran guard

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-suns-willing-trade-no-013003066.html

They can have Rozier. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm

If Boston did that deal the 6th pick would give them 4 first rounders.

The Celtics are still a relatively young team so I think they definitely need an experienced PG. The Suns previously showed interest in TR. I think this would be a perfect scenario if Kyrie stays. If Kyrie goes, drafting a rookie PG to me is not the way to go unless you are getting Morant.

With 4 picks in play Boston would be the odds on favorite to land AD. I'm just saying. They would be in a position to make the AD trade and still draft a wing. Kyrie probably stays if AD came on board. That's one scenario. That however is a big gamble.

If Boston lost KI and TR they would have to target a PG and they still need a replacement for Morris. How would the team be with two rookies playing prominent roles?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 pm

dboss wrote:If Boston did that deal the 6th pick would give them 4 first rounders.

The Celtics are still a relatively young team so I think they definitely need an experienced PG.  The Suns previously showed interest in TR.  I think this would be a perfect scenario if Kyrie stays.  If Kyrie goes, drafting a rookie PG to me is not the way to go unless you are getting Morant.

With 4 picks in play Boston would be the odds on favorite to land AD.  I'm just saying.  They would be in a position to make the AD trade and still draft a wing.  Kyrie probably stays if AD came on board.  That's one scenario.  That however is a big gamble.

If Boston lost KI and TR they would have to target a PG and they still need a replacement for Morris.  How would the team be with two rookies playing prominent roles?  

Cs would take Garland or White at 6.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm

"They can have Rozier."

In a NY minute.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down